CSNbbs
Tigers Baseball Coaches - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Tigers Baseball Coaches (/thread-912677.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

RE: Tigers Baseball Coaches - BinghamptonNed - 06-06-2021 07:49 AM

(06-06-2021 02:24 AM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  Well, the softball coach is holding camps at the school so it looks as if at least the softball coach will be retained. Will be willing to wager that Rock will also.

Believe WBB coach was changed only because she decided to retire.

WBB coach did not decide to retire - her contract was not being renewed so she left a few weeks early - she served out her contract and the University never had to pay two head coaches at the same time

RE: Tigers Baseball Coaches - Marc Mensa - 06-06-2021 11:01 AM

If they can’t afford to cut Roc loose or provide the necessary recruiting $, then they need to consider dropping the baseball program and possibly adding field hockey or another sport to help comply with Title IX. The baseball program is currently an embarrassment.

RE: Tigers Baseball Coaches - MemTigers1998 - 06-06-2021 03:32 PM

As someone who loves watching baseball, it’s been fun and a little aggravating at the same time watching all the NCAA regionals this weekend. Wish the U of M cared about its program. Seeing USF & ECU about to go to super reg’s, the facilities at a place like LA Tech, and watching schools like So Alabama, Dallas Baptist and others field competitive teams, there is just no reason Memphis shouldn’t be able to get in the tournament. I’m not much on large crowds, but I’d love to be able to sit in a lawn chair in the outfield with a cooler of beer. My Rebel friends have had a blast the past 2 days and they have really let me know about it with the “too bad your school sucks at baseball and you’ll never get a chance to experience this” text messages.

RE: Tigers Baseball Coaches - k2tigers - 06-06-2021 03:34 PM

just hire Dave Van Horn

RE: Tigers Baseball Coaches - UofMark - 06-07-2021 10:39 PM

So it looks like two AAC brethren have made it to the Super Regionals. USF heads to Texas while ECU plays at Vanderbilt. These are the last steps before the College World Series. Congrats and good luck to them. This really doesn't have anything to do with Tiger coaches other than it makes me very sad how the administration has let the Baseball program languish. We're only talking 11.7 scholarships per team. Teams like ECU, USF and Southern Miss shouldn't have advantages over us but they do. And that's embarrassing.

RE: Tigers Baseball Coaches - Marc Mensa - 06-08-2021 07:30 AM

oh, you can add to that list… Old Dominion, Charlotte, La Tech, Louisiana Lafayette, VCU, Campbell… Hell, UTMartin went to Oxford and beat Ole Miss. In all fairness, Memphis, outside of Hunter Goodman, had equal talent with CBU, and they weren’t competitive in the Gulf South Conference. This Memphis team is absolutely dreadful. Roc should be ashamed.

RE: Tigers Baseball Coaches - Wayward Memphian - 06-08-2021 02:16 PM

(06-08-2021 07:30 AM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  oh, you can add to that list… Old Dominion, Charlotte, La Tech, Louisiana Lafayette, VCU, Campbell… Hell, UTMartin went to Oxford and beat Ole Miss. In all fairness, Memphis, outside of Hunter Goodman, had equal talent with CBU, and they weren’t competitive in the Gulf South Conference. This Memphis team is absolutely dreadful. Roc should be ashamed.

Let's keep mid week games in proper context.

Rarely does a Power 5 team pitch a weekend starter during mid week while the sub Power 5 team will send their top one or two weekend starter(s) out there. Power 5 teams will also start several non regular potion players on weekday games or have a player a secondary position other than his weekend slot.

RE: Tigers Baseball Coaches - AlonsoWDC - 06-08-2021 02:45 PM

(06-06-2021 03:32 PM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  As someone who loves watching baseball, it’s been fun and a little aggravating at the same time watching all the NCAA regionals this weekend. Wish the U of M cared about its program. Seeing USF & ECU about to go to super reg’s, the facilities at a place like LA Tech, and watching schools like So Alabama, Dallas Baptist and others field competitive teams, there is just no reason Memphis shouldn’t be able to get in the tournament. I’m not much on large crowds, but I’d love to be able to sit in a lawn chair in the outfield with a cooler of beer. My Rebel friends have had a blast the past 2 days and they have really let me know about it with the “too bad your school sucks at baseball and you’ll never get a chance to experience this” text messages.

That's cute.

Did you reply with addressing which school has the superior football program?

RE: Tigers Baseball Coaches - Wayward Memphian - 06-08-2021 03:01 PM

(06-06-2021 03:34 PM)k2tigers Wrote:  just hire Dave Van Horn

Thanks for the giggle.

Van Horn has his perfect setup here. He runs damn near everything. He's his own AD, does most all of the fundraising for his own facilities but the speed at which they happen is governed so as to seem it is more balanced overall.

I'm trying to figure out why Arkansas is sandbagging attendance figures. They are announcing the chairback and suites only figure at 11k and change. Are they actually skimming the NCAA? These games when the left field general admission is included are running between 13 and 14 thousand.

There's talk of a cantilevered upper deck to flirt with 15k charbacks. Not a single ticket went out to sale to the general public. Season ticket holders and Razorback Foundation members swallowed them all.

RE: Tigers Baseball Coaches - k2tigers - 06-08-2021 03:06 PM

(06-08-2021 03:01 PM)Wayward Memphian Wrote:  

Thanks for the giggle.

Van Horn has his perfect setup here. He runs damn near everything. He's his own AD, does most all of the fundraising for his own facilities but the speed at which they happen is governed so as to seem it is more balanced overall.

I'm trying tocfigure out why Arkansas is sandbagging attendance figures. They are announcing the chairback and suites only figure at 11k and change. Are they actually skimming the NCAA? These games when the left field general admission is included are running between 13 and 14 thousand.

There's talk of a cantilevered upper deck to flirt with 15k charbacks. Not a single ticket went out to sale the general public. Season ticket holders and Razorback Foundation members swallowed them all.

I live up there and am amazed at how popular Arkansas baseball is. The stadium is nicer than our AA team. Van Horn is a folksy dude, but he's a damn good coach and is as competitive as anyone.

RE: Tigers Baseball Coaches - Marc Mensa - 06-08-2021 03:12 PM

(06-08-2021 02:16 PM)Wayward Memphian Wrote:  
(06-08-2021 07:30 AM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  oh, you can add to that list… Old Dominion, Charlotte, La Tech, Louisiana Lafayette, VCU, Campbell… Hell, UTMartin went to Oxford and beat Ole Miss. In all fairness, Memphis, outside of Hunter Goodman, had equal talent with CBU, and they weren’t competitive in the Gulf South Conference. This Memphis team is absolutely dreadful. Roc should be ashamed.

Rarely does a Power 5 team pitch a weekend starter during mid week while the sub Power 5 team will send their top one or two weekend starter(s) out there. Power 5 teams will also start several non regular potion players on weekday games or have a player a secondary position other than his weekend slot.

I am more than familiar with midweek games & “power 5” but thanks for the primer… a primer that not really applicable to this thread.

RE: Tigers Baseball Coaches - jets521 - 06-08-2021 03:37 PM

(06-08-2021 03:12 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  

I am more than familiar with midweek games & “power 5” but thanks for the primer… a primer that not really applicable to this thread.

That isn't entirely accurate. The non P5 teams have their own weekend series to save their weekend starters for.....

Let's not lose focus on the point of the thread here....Roc needs to GO

RE: Tigers Baseball Coaches - southpaw1 - 06-08-2021 03:53 PM

(06-08-2021 03:06 PM)k2tigers Wrote:  

Thanks for the giggle.

I'm trying tocfigure out why Arkansas is sandbagging attendance figures. They are announcing the chairback and suites only figure at 11k and change. Are they actually skimming the NCAA? These games when the left field general admission is included are running between 13 and 14 thousand.

There's talk of a cantilevered upper deck to flirt with 15k charbacks. Not a single ticket went out to sale the general public. Season ticket holders and Razorback Foundation members swallowed them all.

I live up there and am amazed at how popular Arkansas baseball is. The stadium is nicer than our AA team. Van Horn is a folksy dude, but he's a damn good coach and is as competitive as anyone.

We need a real stadium on campus. Ours sucks.

RE: Tigers Baseball Coaches - TigersTigers - 06-08-2021 04:49 PM

Unfortunately, our baseball facility is a nice high-end Junior College facility.

The issue is Roc is recruiting at the level of high level NAIA and Div 2 programs. His recruiting performance has verified he cannot compete and be competitive in our conference (AAC).

Hopefully Larid has figured this out and will make the necessary changes!!

(06-08-2021 03:53 PM)southpaw1 Wrote:  

Thanks for the giggle.

RE: Tigers Baseball Coaches - Marc Mensa - 06-08-2021 05:04 PM

(06-08-2021 04:49 PM)TigersTigers Wrote:  Unfortunately, our baseball facility is a nice high-end Junior College facility.

The issue is Roc is recruiting at the level of high level NAIA and Div 2 programs. His recruiting performance has verified he cannot compete and be competitive in our conference (AAC).

Thanks for the giggle.

I think it can be argued that some JUCiO’s have better facilities than Memphis… here is NE Mississippi’s new field…

RE: Tigers Baseball Coaches - Wayward Memphian - 06-08-2021 06:36 PM

(06-08-2021 03:37 PM)jets521 Wrote:  

That isn't entirely accurate. The non P5 teams have their own weekend series to save their weekend starters for.....

Arkansas sees everyone's best.

RE: Tigers Baseball Coaches - Marc Mensa - 06-08-2021 06:42 PM

(06-08-2021 06:36 PM)Wayward Memphian Wrote:  

so go find some people who care…
no one in this forum, with the exception of 2-3 people, give a flip about college baseball.

RE: Tigers Baseball Coaches - jets521 - 06-09-2021 10:03 AM

That is just incorrect.

I randomly chose a midweek game from Arkansas' schedule: April 6 vs. Little Rock

LR's starting pitcher in that game was Sawyer Smallwood.
He started a grand total of three games in 2021.

Another random example
May 11 vs. Arkansas State
ASU starting pitcher was Tyler Jeans
He started a grand total of four games in 2021

So that throws some water on your claim that "the sub Power 5 team will send their top one or two weekend starter(s) out there"

RE: Tigers Baseball Coaches - MemphisFan95 - 06-09-2021 10:12 AM

(06-09-2021 10:03 AM)jets521 Wrote:  
(06-08-2021 02:16 PM)Wayward Memphian Wrote:  Let's keep mid week games in proper context.

That is just incorrect.

I randomly chose a midweek game from Arkansas' schedule: April 6 vs. Little Rock

LR's starting pitcher in that game was Sawyer Smallwood.
He started a grand total of three games in 2021.

Another random example
May 11 vs. Arkansas State
ASU starting pitcher was Tyler Jeans
He started a grand total of four games in 2021

So that throws some water on your claim that "the sub Power 5 team will send their top one or two weekend starter(s) out there"

Once you get into the conference schedule hardly no one is going to take their Saturday ace to throw in a mid week p5 game. The conference games mean more for the smaller schools.

RE: Tigers Baseball Coaches - Browning Hall - 06-09-2021 01:03 PM

(06-08-2021 05:04 PM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  
(06-08-2021 04:49 PM)TigersTigers Wrote:  Unfortunately, our baseball facility is a nice high-end Junior College facility.

(06-08-2021 03:01 PM)Wayward Memphian Wrote:  Thanks for the giggle.

I think it can be argued that some JUCiO’s have better facilities than Memphis… here is NE Mississippi’s new field…

It looks like a newer version of what we’ve got with fewer seats.