CSNbbs
[split] AAC Discussion (split out of Boise/MWC thread) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: [split] AAC Discussion (split out of Boise/MWC thread) (/thread-912447.html)

Pages: 1 2

[split] AAC Discussion (split out of Boise/MWC thread) - jedclampett - 12-10-2020 06:23 AM

(12-08-2020 07:41 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  Boise was joining the Big East with SDSU and when the BE lost power status, they said thanks but no thanks. They’re not joining the AAC and I think that ship has also sailed from the AAC side of things.

So, in other words, the AAC's strategic plan to become a power conference is doomed to fail, because there will never be more than 5 power conferences?

RE: Actual News: Harsin Pushed Boise to Ditch MWC - schmolik - 12-10-2020 08:39 AM

(12-10-2020 06:23 AM)jedclampett Wrote:  
(12-08-2020 07:41 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  Boise was joining the Big East with SDSU and when the BE lost power status, they said thanks but no thanks. They’re not joining the AAC and I think that ship has also sailed from the AAC side of things.

So, in other words, the AAC's strategic plan to become a power conference is doomed to fail, because there will never be more than 5 power conferences?

Honestly, no. The current five power conferences have no incentive to allow the AAC a seat at their table and make their shares/pieces smaller. In fact, there's more incentive for them to cannibalize each other, make it four or even three power conferences. Get it to four and the four remaining can guarantee Playoff spots for their champions every year (you don't think the Pathetic 12 wouldn't want that if they are one of the four survivors?)

As for the networks, the AAC has to give a network or network a reason for them to pay them Power 5 rates. You've been tracking G5 television ratings all season and I believe the most watched G5 game was Central Florida-Georgia Tech which got over 3 million. While no Pathetic 12 game this season got more than 3 million viewers this season, the game also featured an ACC team. I don't think most of the Big 12 is much better than the AAC, the problem is they have two members that are clearly better. If you moved Texas and Oklahoma to the AAC, the AAC would have Big 12 payouts and the Big 12 would be getting AAC payouts. The AAC doesn't have one member that is the dominant school in its state. They have schools in a bunch of cities but you'd be hard pressed to say any of the schools dominate their city, at least in football (I doubt Cincinnati is the #1 school in Cincy or UCF is the #1 school in Orlando, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure Temple isn't #1 here in Philly in football .. or men's basketball). And you can add as many G5 schools as you want but it won't help, the only way the AAC will ever get P5 money is if it gets not only a P5 school but a relevant one (half the P5 schools aren't relevant, they're being carried by the relevant ones). The bad news is the AAC just doesn't have any relevant schools.

You're a Temple fan and you're trying to build up the AAC. I'm a Temple fan and I'd do anything to get out of the AAC. I hate it. Half the teams are western crap. You can't even get excited about men's basketball conference games vs. SMU, Tulsa, and Tulane. It's even worse now with UConn gone as Temple's now the only Eastern school in the whole conference (Navy in football).

RE: Actual News: Harsin Pushed Boise to Ditch MWC - CliftonAve - 12-10-2020 09:13 AM

(12-10-2020 08:39 AM)schmolik Wrote:  

Honestly, no. The current five power conferences have no incentive to allow the AAC a seat at their table and make their shares/pieces smaller. In fact, there's more incentive for them to cannibalize each other, make it four or even three power conferences. Get it to four and the four remaining can guarantee Playoff spots for their champions every year (you don't think the Pathetic 12 wouldn't want that if they are one of the four survivors?)

As for the networks, the AAC has to give a network or network a reason for them to pay them Power 5 rates. You've been tracking G5 television ratings all season and I believe the most watched G5 game was Central Florida-Georgia Tech which got over 3 million. While no Pathetic 12 game this season got more than 3 million viewers this season, the game also featured an ACC team. I don't think most of the Big 12 is much better than the AAC, the problem is they have two members that are clearly better. If you moved Texas and Oklahoma to the AAC, the AAC would have Big 12 payouts and the Big 12 would be getting AAC payouts. The AAC doesn't have one member that is the dominant school in its state. They have schools in a bunch of cities but you'd be hard pressed to say any of the schools dominate their city, at least in football (I doubt Cincinnati is the #1 school in Cincy or UCF is the #1 school in Orlando, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure Temple isn't #1 here in Philly in football .. or men's basketball). And you can add as many G5 schools as you want but it won't help, the only way the AAC will ever get P5 money is if it gets not only a P5 school but a relevant one (half the P5 schools aren't relevant, they're being carried by the relevant ones). The bad news is the AAC just doesn't have any relevant schools.

You're a Temple fan and you're trying to build up the AAC. I'm a Temple fan and I'd do anything to get out of the AAC. I hate it. Half the teams are western crap. You can't even get excited about men's basketball conference games vs. SMU, Tulsa, and Tulane. It's even worse now with UConn gone as Temple's now the only Eastern school in the whole conference (Navy in football).

We have a fractured market, but Cincinnati is the #1 team in Cincinnati. This has been proven time and again in yearly polls that get passed around on social media. UC's football and basketball games are broadcasted on the flagship radio station and pre-empts coverage of XU (Ohio State football/basketball games are not on local radio).

RE: Actual News: Harsin Pushed Boise to Ditch MWC - Hokie4Skins - 12-10-2020 09:49 AM

(12-10-2020 09:13 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  (Ohio State football/basketball games are not on local radio).

https://oldies1480.net/

RE: Actual News: Harsin Pushed Boise to Ditch MWC - esayem - 12-10-2020 11:37 AM

I’m sure the AAC is a better payout than the A10/MAC combo, but I see your point regarding hoops. I imagine Temple would be the strongest proponent for UMass to join the AAC.

RE: Actual News: Harsin Pushed Boise to Ditch MWC - Captain Bearcat - 12-10-2020 01:30 PM

(12-08-2020 10:48 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  
(12-08-2020 10:37 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  
(12-08-2020 09:12 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Ehh. Most everyone connected to the 2012 Boise decision making is gone. I think thats one of the few "no brainer" value adding replacement options on the board for the AAC. I mean, if Boise was looking for places to house their olympic sports---they are obviously willing to talk. I think the AAC would make that move in a minute flat.

Add Boise as a football only, add VCU as an olympic member--and the AAC puts the UConn loss behind them--ending up substantially better in football---and shores up the loss of UConn basketball about as well as anyone could realistically expect.

A Boise/VCU add would be strong. I would fully support. But I don't see it happening.

I like it. Not probable, in my opinion, but a nice idea. If both sides want it to happen, it needs to be soon. Boise St non-football will find a home. My guess is the Big West is the desire but the Big Sky is acceptable.

AAC Football
West: Boise St, Houston, Navy, SMU, Tulane, Tulsa
East: Central Florida, Cincinnati, East Carolina, Memphis, South Florida, Temple

I'd suggest going farther become a power conference in basketball:
West: Boise, BYU, SDSU, Houston, SMU, Tulsa, Navy (Fb-only), Wichita, Gonzaga
East: Cincinnati, Memphis, UCF, USF, Temple, ECU, Tulane, Dayton

7 team divisions for football
8 team divisions for basketball (home-and-home within your division, play 4 games against other division)

It won't happen, but it should. The pre-2003 ACC and 2005-2012 Big East were taken seriously in football mostly because they were indisputably power conferences in basketball.

RE: Actual News: Harsin Pushed Boise to Ditch MWC - CliftonAve - 12-10-2020 01:38 PM

(12-10-2020 09:49 AM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  
(12-10-2020 09:13 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  (Ohio State football/basketball games are not on local radio).

Dude, that station is so far down the dial.... the stations that people listen to in this town are 700WLW, ESPN 1530 and 55 WKRC. WLW is the flagship.

RE: Actual News: Harsin Pushed Boise to Ditch MWC - bill dazzle - 12-10-2020 01:43 PM

If I were a Temple fan, I'm 99 percent sure I would be highly displeased to be in the AAC.

But as a Memphis and Cincinnati fan, I'm 100 percent happy to have Temple as a conference mate and wish the Owls well.

RE: Actual News: Harsin Pushed Boise to Ditch MWC - Fighting Muskie - 12-10-2020 02:10 PM

What’s Temple to do though?

Leaving the AAC would be suicidal to it’s football program (see UConn).

The Big East isn’t going to let them in so they can’t upgrade their basketball conference.

The A-10 is more regional but isn’t any better in basketball and moving there would damage football.

The only choice is to tough it out and use the OOC to find regional games that will appear to Northeast oriented fans.

Actual News: Harsin Pushed Boise to Ditch MWC - Hokie4Skins - 12-10-2020 02:19 PM

(12-10-2020 01:38 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

Dude, that station is so far down the dial.... the stations that people listen to in this town are 700WLW, ESPN 1530 and 55 WKRC. WLW is the flagship.

But you said that Ohio State wasn’t on local radio in Cincinnati. And when did 99.5 become so far down the FM dial?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Actual News: Harsin Pushed Boise to Ditch MWC - Attackcoog - 12-10-2020 02:20 PM

(12-10-2020 02:10 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  What’s Temple to do though?

The Big East isn’t going to let them in so they can’t upgrade their basketball conference.

The A-10 is more regional but isn’t any better in basketball and moving there would damage football.

The only choice is to tough it out and use the OOC to find regional games that will appear to Northeast oriented fans.

Temple is really no different than anyone else in the conference. Yeah--the league is spread out and has no regional identity. It is what it is.

RE: Actual News: Harsin Pushed Boise to Ditch MWC - army56mike - 12-10-2020 02:30 PM

(12-10-2020 02:10 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  The only choice is to tough it out and use the OOC to find regional games that will appear to Northeast oriented fans.

I’d say Temple is doing a pretty good job of scheduling their region and teams of interest.
2019- Bucknell, Maryland, Buffalo, Ga. Tech
2018- Boston College, Maryland, Buffalo, Nova
2017- Nova, UMass, Army, ND
2016- Army, Stony Brook, Penn St., Charlotte
2015- Penn St., UMass, Notre Dame, Charlotte

RE: Actual News: Harsin Pushed Boise to Ditch MWC - Captain Bearcat - 12-10-2020 02:46 PM

(12-10-2020 02:19 PM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  
(12-10-2020 01:38 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

But you said that Ohio State wasn’t on local radio in Cincinnati. And when did 99.5 become so far down the FM dial?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because 99.5 is not even in the top-25 radio stations in Cincinnati. No one has it as a preset.

Some websites (like this) don't even list it as a radio station because it broadcasts on only a 150 watt transmitter. Over most of its coverage area, it is drowned out by the 13,000 watt WAOL which is 2 counties to the East. (coverage maps for 99.5 WDJO and 99.5 WAOL)

WLW is the #1 radio station in Cincinnati. It broadcasts at 50,000 watts and can be heard in 9 states during the day and 35 states at night. WLW broadcasts Bengals, Reds, Bearcats, and Xavier Musketeers, in that order (i.e., if there is a Bearcat game, the Xavier game will be booted to another channel).

RE: Actual News: Harsin Pushed Boise to Ditch MWC - esayem - 12-10-2020 02:56 PM

Cincinnati may have the best radio station in Cincinnati, but I’d venture to guess their games aren’t broadcast on other major Ohio cities’ local stations.

The Cincinnati argument is always that they deliver Ohio, which they don’t. They deliver Cincinnati.

RE: Actual News: Harsin Pushed Boise to Ditch MWC - MidknightWhiskey - 12-10-2020 03:35 PM

You're wrong. UCF has become the #1 team in Orlando and most of the I-4 corridor.

RE: Actual News: Harsin Pushed Boise to Ditch MWC - GoldenWarrior11 - 12-10-2020 03:51 PM

(12-10-2020 02:20 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(12-10-2020 02:10 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  What’s Temple to do though?

Temple is really no different than anyone else in the conference. Yeah--the league is spread out and has no regional identity. It is what it is.

Al Golden began an incredible run for Temple Football beginning in 2009. Since then, Temple is 81-58 (after being 75-217 since 1983). They hired a successful string of coaches (Golden, Addazio, Rhule, Collins and, arguably, Carey) that were able to sustain success and compete a Southern football league (which UConn was not able to do).

An interesting What If would be what would Temple do (or would have done) had it gone through a UConn-like performance in football? What if Al Golden was not able to turn it around in the late 2000s, and what if the following collection of coaches were not able to build off that success and create a sustained run? What if they had the finishes that UConn had beginning in 2011 (5-7, 5-7, 3-9, 2-10, 6-7, 3-9, 3-9, 1-11 and 2-10)? Would there be talk of Temple de-emphasizing football? Would there be talk of kicking them out of the AAC (or is there even an invite in 2012)? Would Temple move fully to the MAC, in order to preserve football?

Bottom-line, Temple is in its top affiliation right now, and it is within a conference for all-sports, something that the A-10/MAC/Ind. never offered or provided. Thankfully, the Big 5 rivalry remains unaffected even with realignment, so Temple can keep those even if within a spread out conference like the AAC.

RE: [split] AAC Discussion (split out of Boise/MWC thread) - The Cutter of Bish - 12-11-2020 08:41 AM

(12-10-2020 02:30 PM)army56mike Wrote:  
(12-10-2020 02:10 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  The only choice is to tough it out and use the OOC to find regional games that will appear to Northeast oriented fans.

I’d say Temple is doing a pretty good job of scheduling their region and teams of interest.
2019- Bucknell, Maryland, Buffalo, Ga. Tech
2018- Boston College, Maryland, Buffalo, Nova
2017- Nova, UMass, Army, ND
2016- Army, Stony Brook, Penn St., Charlotte
2015- Penn St., UMass, Notre Dame, Charlotte

Yeah, they’re getting it done. It just looks a bit inverted, because so many in other conferences see their conference schedule having strong regional cohesion. Temple gets into good recruiting territory in its conference schedule, and does the local thing during the non-conference. And even that isn’t accurately portraying their situation, because it’s not like Cincy or ECU are worlds apart. And they get their closest neighbor semi-regularly with Navy. Not sure it’s better or worse than MAC, where they made a lot of trips to Ohio.

I wish there was something more cohesive in the northeast and and mid-Atlantic for non-majors, but, I doubt even if certain schools from FCS did move up, those within that region would combine for a conference. We’re talking UMass and UConn, who can’t get along at the same level, Army who doesn’t want to be in a football conference, a Navy program who knows playing in the south is huge for them, and others with similar spats or issues. Plus, this region has been long plagued by this obsession that it needed Florida schools so it could recruit. It was true in the Big East, and would likely loom in any new concept, and that’s how you start stretching footprints.

RE: [split] AAC Discussion (split out of Boise/MWC thread) - quo vadis - 12-11-2020 09:17 AM

Yeah, that claim beggared belief. Would be like me saying that LSU games are not on local radio in, I don't know, Alexandria LA or Florida games are not on local radio in Orlando.

RE: [split] AAC Discussion (split out of Boise/MWC thread) - quo vadis - 12-11-2020 09:31 AM

(12-10-2020 01:30 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  It won't happen, but it should. The pre-2003 ACC and 2005-2012 Big East were taken seriously in football mostly because they were indisputably power conferences in basketball.

My recall is that the 2005 - 2012 Big East was not taken seriously in football. It was routinely derided as the "Big Least" during that time. It was constantly being criticized as unworthy of "AQ" status in the media and by fans of other leagues. It only had AQ status because it was written in the BCS contract, and other AQ new it would be legally impossible, or at least extremely costly, to try and change that. Efforts were even made to come up with "performance metrics" that could result in the Big East being booted, all of this despite the fact that in terms of on-field performance, it was a very legitimate power/AQ football conference during that time.

If anything, the concurrent dominance of Big East basketball hurt the perception of Big East football. The football conference was good but the hoops conference was great, so that cast another shadow over the football side.

RE: [split] AAC Discussion (split out of Boise/MWC thread) - bullet - 12-11-2020 09:56 AM

(12-11-2020 09:31 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(12-10-2020 01:30 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  It won't happen, but it should. The pre-2003 ACC and 2005-2012 Big East were taken seriously in football mostly because they were indisputably power conferences in basketball.

My recall is that the 2005 - 2012 Big East was not taken seriously in football. It was routinely derided as the "Big Least" during that time. It was constantly being criticized as unworthy of "AQ" status in the media and by fans of other leagues. It only had AQ status because it was written in the BCS contract, and other AQ new it would be legally impossible, or at least extremely costly, to try and change that. Efforts were even made to come up with "performance metrics" that could result in the Big East being booted, all of this despite the fact that in terms of on-field performance, it was a very legitimate power/AQ football conference during that time.

If anything, the concurrent dominance of Big East basketball hurt the perception of Big East football. The football conference was good but the hoops conference was great, so that cast another shadow over the football side.

The Big East had no kings. So they got underrated in the public eye. They had also lost their top 2 and #4 or #5 program. Pitt, Rutgers and Temple had all been really bad prior to 2005. Temple even got booted from the conference and they usually finished ahead of Rutgers. But Pitt improved, WVU stepped up and the new members did well.