CSNbbs
WAC Expansion - SUU and Southland Schools invited - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: WAC Expansion - SUU and Southland Schools invited (/thread-912222.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

WAC Expansion - SUU and Southland Schools invited - solohawks - 12-07-2020 05:37 PM

RE: RUMOR - WAC expansion close to being final - solohawks - 12-07-2020 05:46 PM

Here is what we are looking at for the new WAC
Seattle
Cal Baptist
Utah Valley
Dixie St
Southern Utah
Grand Canyon
NMSU
Sam Houston State
Lamar
Abilene Christian
Stephen F Austin
UTRGV
Tarleton St
Chicago St.

RE: RUMOR - WAC expansion close to being final - YNot - 12-07-2020 05:49 PM

How long does Chicago State hang on? Seems like a great East-West lineup if they -1 down to 14 schools.

RE: RUMOR - WAC expansion close to being final - solohawks - 12-07-2020 05:52 PM

Southland will be left with 9 all sports, 7 that play football but Central Arkansas could potentially be leaving giving them the bare minimum of 8 with 6 playing football

Big Sky will be left with 10 all sports and 12 for football with 2 football affiliates

RE: RUMOR - WAC expansion close to being final - Cyniclone - 12-07-2020 05:53 PM

(12-07-2020 05:49 PM)YNot Wrote:  How long does Chicago State hang on? Seems like a great East-West lineup if they -1 down to 14 schools.

They'd be at 13 if Chicago State leaves, unless there's one more to come.

RE: RUMOR - WAC expansion close to being final - solohawks - 12-07-2020 05:54 PM

(12-07-2020 05:49 PM)YNot Wrote:  How long does Chicago State hang on? Seems like a great East-West lineup if they -1 down to 14 schools.

I wanna say Chicago St. has some weird renewable membership IIRC

If this gets finalized I could get them exiting pretty quickly. The MEAC could use a warm body

RE: RUMOR - WAC expansion close to being final - Fighting Muskie - 12-07-2020 06:02 PM

If this scheme is actually about to come to pass then Chicago St is going To disappear faster than a witness to a mob murder.

I’d expect them to try and corner NAU as their replacement.

RE: RUMOR - WAC expansion close to being final - Nerdlinger - 12-07-2020 06:03 PM

Matt must be listening to DavidSt.

RE: RUMOR - WAC expansion close to being final - IWokeUpLikeThis - 12-07-2020 06:20 PM

We have a massive thread on the WAC board - in case any realignmentologists would like to join:
https://csnbbs.com/thread-907831-post-17143010.html#pid17143010

RE: RUMOR - WAC expansion close to being final - solohawks - 12-07-2020 06:42 PM

(12-07-2020 06:02 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  If this scheme is actually about to come to pass then Chicago St is going To disappear faster than a witness to a mob murder.

Or if Chicago St. leaves they could snag one more Texas school like Corpus Christi to have an all TX division

WAC WEST
Seattle
Cal Baptist
Utah Valley
Dixie St
Southern Utah
Grand Canyon
NMSU

WAC SOUTHWEST
Sam Houston State
Lamar
Abilene Christian
Stephen F Austin
UTRGV
Tarleton St
Texas A&M CC

RE: RUMOR - WAC expansion close to being final - IWokeUpLikeThis - 12-07-2020 06:46 PM

(12-07-2020 06:42 PM)solohawks Wrote:  
(12-07-2020 06:02 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  If this scheme is actually about to come to pass then Chicago St is going To disappear faster than a witness to a mob murder.

Or if Chicago St. leaves they could snag one more Texas school like Corpus Christi to have an all TX division

WAC WEST
Seattle
Cal Baptist
Utah Valley
Dixie St
Southern Utah
Grand Canyon
NMSU

WAC SOUTHWEST
Sam Houston State
Lamar
Abilene Christian
Stephen F Austin
UTRGV
Tarleton St
Texas A&M CC

They’ll look at a FB school with a strong fan base like West Texas A&M, imo. That gets them up to 7 FB.

RE: RUMOR - WAC expansion close to being final - solohawks - 12-07-2020 06:47 PM

(12-07-2020 06:46 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  

WAC WEST
Seattle
Cal Baptist
Utah Valley
Dixie St
Southern Utah
Grand Canyon
NMSU

WAC SOUTHWEST
Sam Houston State
Lamar
Abilene Christian
Stephen F Austin
UTRGV
Tarleton St
Texas A&M CC

They’ll look at a FB school with a strong fan base like West Texas A&M, imo. That gets them up to 7 FB.

That might work

They could always shift NMSU into the division with the TX schools but I would think the goal would be an all TX division

RE: RUMOR - WAC expansion close to being final - johnbragg - 12-07-2020 06:51 PM

I still don't understand what the new WAC schools are getting out of the move.

RE: RUMOR - WAC expansion close to being final - 72Tiger - 12-07-2020 07:09 PM

(12-07-2020 06:51 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  I still don't understand what the new WAC schools are getting out of the move.

Slim hopes of an FBS future maybe.

RE: RUMOR - WAC expansion close to being final - Attackcoog - 12-07-2020 07:44 PM

(12-07-2020 06:51 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  I still don't understand what the new WAC schools are getting out of the move.

Thats me. Im not buying it. Here are the current WAC members--

California Baptist University
Chicago State
Dixie State
Grand Canyon University
New Mexico St
Seattle University
Tarleton St University
University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
Utah Valley University

Why would Lamar or Sam Houston St want to play those schools when similar quality schools exist much closer? These Texas FCS schools didnt have the money to increase their travel budget BEFORE the pandemic---I have no idea how they could come up with those funds now. The farthest road trip for those Southland Conference Texas schools is Central Arkansas. Its basically a bus league for those schools. If they join the WAC--your talking about traveling to Seattle Washington, California, Arizona, Utah, and Chicago. Heck, even one of the Texas WAC members is about 500 miles away.

RE: RUMOR - WAC expansion close to being final - Bobcat2013 - 12-07-2020 07:47 PM

(12-07-2020 07:09 PM)72Tiger Wrote:  

Slim hopes of an FBS future maybe.

I still dont think I've heard anyone in power say that this is still an option for them. Just a lot of "well we might..."

RE: RUMOR - WAC expansion close to being final - johnbragg - 12-07-2020 07:52 PM

(12-07-2020 07:44 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Chicago State
Dixie State
Grand Canyon University
New Mexico St
Seattle University
Tarleton St University
Utah Valley University

Why would Lamar or Sam Houston St want to play those schools when similar quality schools exist much closer? These Texas FCS schools didnt have the money to increase their travel budget BEFORE the pandemic---I have no idea how they could come up with those funds now. The farthest road trip for those Southland Conference Texas schools is Central Arkansas.

Very good chance this is a nothingburger, and won't happen.

But if it does, maybe it's not so much "pull factors" from the WAC as "push factors" out of the Southland.

Or maybe the WAC commissioner is taking a page from the ASUN Gumbart playbook, and feeding a gullible reporter a baloney sandwich.

RE: RUMOR - WAC expansion close to being final - johnbragg - 12-07-2020 07:52 PM

Chicago State
Dixie State
Grand Canyon University
New Mexico St
Seattle University
Tarleton St University
Utah Valley University

Why would Lamar or Sam Houston St want to play those schools when similar quality schools exist much closer? These Texas FCS schools didnt have the money to increase their travel budget BEFORE the pandemic---I have no idea how they could come up with those funds now. The farthest road trip for those Southland Conference Texas schools is Central Arkansas.

But if it does, maybe it's not so much "pull factors" from the WAC as "push factors" out of the Southland.

Or maybe the WAC commissioner is taking a page from the ASUN Gumbart playbook, and feeding a gullible reporter a baloney sandwich.

RE: RUMOR - WAC expansion close to being final - HawaiiMongoose - 12-07-2020 07:54 PM

(12-07-2020 06:46 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  

WAC WEST
Seattle
Cal Baptist
Utah Valley
Dixie St
Southern Utah
Grand Canyon
NMSU

WAC SOUTHWEST
Sam Houston State
Lamar
Abilene Christian
Stephen F Austin
UTRGV
Tarleton St
Texas A&M CC

^^^This.

Although WTAMU would be a D2 move-up, they just built a new FCS-caliber stadium and their football attendance is FCS-level. Moreover their basketball team finished last season 32-1 and ranked third nationally.

RE: RUMOR - WAC expansion close to being final - Nerdlinger - 12-07-2020 07:57 PM

(12-07-2020 07:52 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  

Chicago State
Dixie State
Grand Canyon University
New Mexico St
Seattle University
Tarleton St University
Utah Valley University

Yes, this.