CSNbbs
Other CAA Games - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: Drexel (/forum-681.html)
+----- Thread: Other CAA Games (/thread-912074.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Other CAA Games - J.B. - 12-05-2020 04:29 PM

Not a good day for CAA Men's Basketball today thus far. 4 games, were either cancelled or postponed.

Charleston got slaughtered at home, 81-57 to Furman.

Delaware had their game against Delaware State postponed, and replaced the game with a game against DII Salem University, a school with only 835 students. Delaware barely escaped the division 2 team with a 79-76 win. Delaware is picked to finish 2nd in the CAA this year, one spot ahead of Drexel.

RE: Other CAA Games - Seahawk Nation 08 - 12-05-2020 06:20 PM

(12-05-2020 04:29 PM)J.B. Wrote:  Not a good day for CAA Men's Basketball today thus far. 4 games, were either cancelled or postponed.

Charleston got slaughtered at home, 81-57 to Furman.

Delaware had their game against Delaware State postponed, and replaced the game with a game against DII Salem University, a school with only 835 students. Delaware barely escaped the division 2 team with a 79-76 win. Delaware is picked to finish 2nd in the CAA this year, one spot ahead of Drexel.

And league favorite Hofstra just lost at home to Iona.

RE: Other CAA Games - J.B. - 12-05-2020 08:44 PM

And I see that Elon's game at Duke on Sunday is postponed. As of now, Drexel's home opener vs. Coppin State is still on as scheduled.

I guess it's good that fans can't attend games this year. In this wild 2020 season, a game can be called off at a moment's notice. I wouldn't want to show up for a game only to be sent home before it starts.

Please stay safe everyone!!!!

RE: Other CAA Games - J.B. - 12-06-2020 08:42 PM

Things are going a little bit better for CAA WBB this week. JMU pulled off a win over Virginia a few days ago. Today, Delaware pulled off a big 85-79 win over Pitt.

RE: Other CAA Games - dan10 - 12-07-2020 10:56 AM

Yeah that was a bad game for Delaware, no doubt. They will be better than that showing, but optically not good. I said it before the season and will say it again, our conference peers lost a lot from last year and we returned everyone. There is little doubt we should be a top team in this conference. Winning some games already away from home is nice. We need to keep momentum going, especially with so many other teams not getting reps in before conference play.

RE: Other CAA Games - jcohen42 - 12-07-2020 02:53 PM

Right now, Drexel is the highest-ranked CAA team in the KenPom ratings, at #148. Been a while since that last happened, I suspect. Also goes to show the relative weakness this year in the CAA, since usually we have at least one team at or near the top 100.

RE: Other CAA Games - J.B. - 12-07-2020 04:11 PM

(12-07-2020 02:53 PM)jcohen42 Wrote:  Right now, Drexel is the highest-ranked CAA team in the KenPom ratings, at #148. Been a while since that last happened, I suspect. Also goes to show the relative weakness this year in the CAA, since usually we have at least one team at or near the top 100.

It helps Drexel that they've actually played a bunch of games unlike most of the teams. They haven't been shut down yet and only lost 1 game. And helps that they won 75% of those games too. Hopefully Spiker and Mallon are emphasizing the importance of not being stupid and social distancing, wearing masks and not being stupid. Yes, I said not being stupid twice. One screw-up by one player or coach can really hurt this program this year.

RE: Other CAA Games - hiroshimacarp - 12-07-2020 05:04 PM

(12-07-2020 10:56 AM)dan10 Wrote:  Yeah that was a bad game for Delaware, no doubt. They will be better than that showing, but optically not good. I said it before the season and will say it again, our conference peers lost a lot from last year and we returned everyone. There is little doubt we should be a top team in this conference. Winning some games already away from home is nice. We need to keep momentum going, especially with so many other teams not getting reps in before conference play.

the caa took a big step backwards when the va schools left...which made it that much more frustrating that we couldn't take the conference over.

i used to say stuff like that which criticized the whole conference...and then i would duck knowing vcu, odu, and gmu fans weren't going to be happy. i'll get away with it which is really all the proof i need that the conference just isn't appealing.

if we're going to stay in it...we might as well win it. otherwise i don't think there's much of a point. i'd love to see the pandemic drive programs into regional conferences. i've been in the minority on this which honestly i don't understand. why would you rather play elon than st. joe's and lasalle? if we can get good again...and maybe a few a-10 teams decide all the travel isn't worth it...i'd love to see us hop in there. maybe hofstra and delaware come with us since i think they're worthy.

RE: Other CAA Games - J.B. - 12-07-2020 08:44 PM

(12-07-2020 05:04 PM)hiroshimacarp Wrote:  
(12-07-2020 10:56 AM)dan10 Wrote:  Yeah that was a bad game for Delaware, no doubt. They will be better than that showing, but optically not good. I said it before the season and will say it again, our conference peers lost a lot from last year and we returned everyone. There is little doubt we should be a top team in this conference. Winning some games already away from home is nice. We need to keep momentum going, especially with so many other teams not getting reps in before conference play.

the caa took a big step backwards when the va schools left...which made it that much more frustrating that we couldn't take the conference over.

i used to say stuff like that which criticized the whole conference...and then i would duck knowing vcu, odu, and gmu fans weren't going to be happy. i'll get away with it which is really all the proof i need that the conference just isn't appealing.

if we're going to stay in it...we might as well win it. otherwise i don't think there's much of a point. i'd love to see the pandemic drive programs into regional conferences. i've been in the minority on this which honestly i don't understand. why would you rather play elon than st. joe's and lasalle? if we can get good again...and maybe a few a-10 teams decide all the travel isn't worth it...i'd love to see us hop in there. maybe hofstra and delaware come with us since i think they're worthy.

It's not that people disagree with you about the idea of a regional conference. It's just that it's not how college athletics work these days so it's a moot point in discussing. I have a lot of great ideas about how to fix college sports, but I know they'll never happen. It's a broken product that can't be fixed.

Even though it will never happen, I think we'd all love to see a reprise of the old ECC. I picked 1980 as a sample year, and here was the ECC that year in order of standings. How they came up with East and West makes no sense....
East
American (11-0, Reg Season Champion)
St. Joseph's (Conf Tournament Champion, NCAA)
Temple
La Salle
Drexel
Hofstra

West
Lafayette
Rider
Lehigh
Bucknell
Delaware
West Chester

RE: Other CAA Games - EvanJ - 12-07-2020 08:45 PM

(12-05-2020 06:20 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  And league favorite Hofstra just lost at home to Iona.
Returning starters Tareq Coburn, Jalen Ray, and Isaac Kante, and redshirt freshman Kvonn Cramer who was recruited by teams in top conferences before being injured for his last two years of high school, combined to shoot 20-27. Caleb Burgess shot 1-7, and everyone else shot 0-7. Cramer shot field goals 4-4 and free throws 1-6. Cramer won Rookie of the Week by averaging 10.5 points, 8.0 rebounds, and 2.5 steals. Freshman David Green has been starting, but he's averaging 12.3 minutes, and he hasn't scored in three games. Cramer is averaging 9.7 points and 6.7 rebounds. He had a double-double in his second game. Hofstra is shooting field goals .372 and threes .234. Hofstra has allowed a whopping 6.3 blocked shots per game, which is over 2.5 times the 2.5 blocks Hofstra's opponents had last season. Isaac Kante, who only shoots twos, is shooting .428 after shooting .655 last season. Last season his field goal percentage was almost as high as his .672 free throw percentage. This season his free throw percentage of .889 is over double his field goal percentage. He leads the CAA with 11.3 rebounds. Hofstra's top four scorers have 91.6 percent of their points. If other guys can't shoot better, Hofstra won't win the CAA.

RE: Other CAA Games - Water Boy - 12-07-2020 10:56 PM

UNCW lost to ECU in overtime today. UNCW at times look bad, but at others they look pretty good. They have been missing their PG Phillips so far as well as a transfer from St. John and another freshman who is expected to contribute. Jaylen Sims has been playing like a POY. The freshman Jamahri Harvey had a rough start offensively to the season but looked good today and should contend for ROY. I think they may prove to be a challenger in the CAA this year. I think we are fortunate to have them at the beginning of the conference schedule; given the new coach and new pieces they have I think they will continue to improve throughout the year.

RE: Other CAA Games - dan10 - 12-08-2020 09:18 AM

Playing UNCW early is definitely a benefit. They likely wont be there this year, but they will get to where Keatts had them. They will play that same style of run and gun and force turnovers while playing 0 half court defense. Get them into the half court and you will score at will, but if you turn it over and cant get them into a half court defense, you are likely in a world of trouble. In a conference like that CAA that strategy will bode well for their results. Against bigger more skilled teams, that style has its limitations.

RE: Other CAA Games - dan10 - 12-09-2020 10:36 AM

Delaware got beat by 15 at UMBC last night. Not a good start for them

RE: Other CAA Games - dan10 - 12-09-2020 10:40 AM

Tentative schedule tonight:

UNCW against non DI
Hofstra hosts Stony Brook
CofC hosts Marshall

RE: Other CAA Games - Water Boy - 12-09-2020 03:21 PM

I thought Hofstra and CoC would be two of the top teams. I think the results tonight will speak to if the CAA is really as bad as it seems so far.

RE: Other CAA Games - Seahawk Nation 08 - 12-09-2020 04:38 PM

(12-08-2020 09:18 AM)dan10 Wrote:  Playing UNCW early is definitely a benefit. They likely wont be there this year, but they will get to where Keatts had them. They will play that same style of run and gun and force turnovers while playing 0 half court defense. Get them into the half court and you will score at will, but if you turn it over and cant get them into a half court defense, you are likely in a world of trouble. In a conference like that CAA that strategy will bode well for their results. Against bigger more skilled teams, that style has its limitations.

Definitely true, but even against a bigger, deeper, and more skilled team like ECU (who is worlds better in year 3 under Dooley than past ECU teams we've seen), we took them to OT with our style. Even when we were basically only playing 6 guys due to a variety of injuries.

At full strength or even 75+ % strength, we'd have won that game and can definitely hold our own against even better opponents than ECU.

The Siddle era is indeed off to a promising start. Glad to see things are looking good so far for you guys as well. I've been largely impressed of Spiker since he was hired.

RE: Other CAA Games - EvanJ - 12-09-2020 06:03 PM

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=321360 has statistics for Hofstra's game tonight. Shawndarius Cowart; who averages 1.3 points, 1.3 assists, 1.0 rebound, 1.0 steal, and 10.0 minutes; is not listed. I don't know why. He's tied for eighth on Hofstra in minutes.

Edit: Cowart is off Hofstra's roster. Sophomore Caleb Burgess and senior Jalen Ray will share the PG. Ray hasn't been a PG, and he averaged 1.9 assists last season. This season he has 13 in 3 games, with 9 in Hofstra's only win.

RE: Other CAA Games - dan10 - 12-10-2020 08:31 AM

Hofstra squeaked by Stony Brook
UNCW clobbered a non DI
CofC lost by double digits to Marshall

For two of the expected top teams this season, I have to feel like it was a letdown. Neither Hofstra nor CofC are playing very well. We shall see if they turn a corner. A ho-hum night overall, nothing inspiring of confidence. It is definitely a down year in the Colonial. We truly need to take advantage

RE: Other CAA Games - hiroshimacarp - 12-10-2020 09:16 AM

(12-07-2020 08:44 PM)J.B. Wrote:  
(12-07-2020 05:04 PM)hiroshimacarp Wrote:  

It's not that people disagree with you about the idea of a regional conference. It's just that it's not how college athletics work these days so it's a moot point in discussing. I have a lot of great ideas about how to fix college sports, but I know they'll never happen. It's a broken product that can't be fixed.

Even though it will never happen, I think we'd all love to see a reprise of the old ECC. I picked 1980 as a sample year, and here was the ECC that year in order of standings. How they came up with East and West makes no sense....
East
American (11-0, Reg Season Champion)
St. Joseph's (Conf Tournament Champion, NCAA)
Temple
La Salle
Drexel
Hofstra

West
Lafayette
Rider
Lehigh
Bucknell
Delaware
West Chester

the pandemic is breaking a lot of things unfortunately. hopefully some things will come out better on the other end.

the patriot league teams are probably locked in. i wouldn't mind getting in there too. i was looking at enrollment and we'd be the biggest school in the conference. bu is 17,000 so we wouldn't be that far ahead.

RE: Other CAA Games - dan10 - 12-10-2020 09:30 AM

Once media contracts run out, this pandemic ends, there will be a major realignment again. I honestly didnt think it would last this long with these mega conferences, but they have. I am not sure we are positioned well to land somewhere meaningful. While I agree that conferences will become much more regionalized again, I am not sure where we fit. We are a unique school that doesnt fit with many around us or with anyone in general. Beyond being a private research institution, what does Drexel bring to the table to be interesting to other schools? Women's basketball isn't going to move the needle. Lacrosse isnt strong enough to do anything. I struggle to see how we have done anything to help out our case when the realignment happens within the next couple of years.