CSNbbs
New Grim Reaper Death Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: New Grim Reaper Death Thread (/thread-911724.html)

RE: New Grim Reaper Death Thread - DavidSt - 08-26-2023 09:15 PM

Bernie Marsdon, Whitesnake's Guitarist and Cowriter of Here I Go Again, Dead At 72

RE: New Grim Reaper Death Thread - Claw - 09-02-2023 02:14 AM

Jimmy Buffett. RIP

RE: New Grim Reaper Death Thread - JRsec - 09-02-2023 02:45 AM

(09-02-2023 02:14 AM)Claw Wrote:  Jimmy Buffett. RIP

Sad to hear this! Those I shared life with are fading fast now. And with each death the world is less familiar! While not from the same years at the chapter, just missed by a few, he was a fraternity brother! Loved his music! He will be missed.

Every time there is an announcement like this, I am reminded of a Johnny Horton Song, the Battle of New Orleans. "And we fired our guns and the British kept a comin' there wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago." I'm feeling mighty British these days. There isn't nigh as many as there was a while ago!

RE: New Grim Reaper Death Thread - Owl 69/70/75 - 09-02-2023 04:27 AM

(09-02-2023 02:45 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
Sad to hear this! Those I shared life with are fading fast now. And with each death the world is less familiar! While not from the same years at the chapter, just missed by a few, he was a fraternity brother! Loved his music! He will be missed.
Every time there is an announcement like this, I am reminded of a Johnny Horton Song, the Battle of New Orleans. "And we fired our guns and the British kept a comin' there wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago." I'm feeling mighty British these days. There isn't nigh as many as there was a while ago!

He grew up in Mobile, went to McGill (private Roman Catholic school) and I saw him perform several times before he hit the big time. My Mobile friends mostly went to UMS (private male) or Wright (private female), which later merged to form UMS-Wright, so we weren't really friends, but I knew him. He didn't really get into the guitar until he got to Asuburn, later at Mississippi Southern. Saw him in a couple of small cabaret settings where he was outstanding. His ability to interact with a crowd really came through in those even better than the large concerts. His sister LuLu (Lucy) has a restaurant in Gulf Shores by the Intracoastal (originally off Bon Secour Bay on the way up the coast toward Fairhope) that Jimmy used to just pop in on occasion and do an impromptu session. Those were truly amazing experiences. LuLu has a saying that I think fits them both very well, "I grew up Southern--and not just Southern but coastal Southern." I think there's a lot of coastal Southern in me.

Rest in Peace, Jimmy, you will be missed by many. Especially by me. Enjoy jamming with your buddies who beat you to Heaven.

RE: New Grim Reaper Death Thread - Eagleaidaholic - 09-02-2023 08:30 AM

I was doing an appraisal in Pascagoula a week or so ago around the corner from his childhood home. There's a placard in the yard. USM still has a "Parrothead" weekend every year in which the players wear colorful jerseys and then auction them off for charity.

RE: New Grim Reaper Death Thread - ericsrevenge76 - 09-02-2023 10:35 AM

One more round for Mr Buffett.

RE: New Grim Reaper Death Thread - DavidSt - 09-02-2023 01:31 PM

It is 5 O'Clock somewhere for margaritas to be in Margaritaville heaven.

RE: New Grim Reaper Death Thread - ericsrevenge76 - 09-02-2023 05:08 PM

Changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes, nothing remains quite the same. If we couldn't laugh, we'd all go insane.

RE: New Grim Reaper Death Thread - MileHighBronco - 09-02-2023 07:06 PM

R.I.P. Jimmy Buffet.

We'll miss you but your music lives on.

RE: New Grim Reaper Death Thread - DavidSt - 09-02-2023 10:38 PM

Former New Mexico Governor, Bill Richardson, Dead at 75

RE: New Grim Reaper Death Thread - GoodOwl - 09-03-2023 11:46 AM

[Image: AP8607010512.jpg]

Former MLB manager Pat Corrales dead at 82

RE: New Grim Reaper Death Thread - DavidSt - 09-04-2023 10:46 AM

Steve Harwell, Lead Singer For Smash mouth, Dead At 56

RE: New Grim Reaper Death Thread - Eldonabe - 09-05-2023 10:17 AM

I lost my best friend of 51 years in May, he was a true parrot head. Seems kind of fitting that Jimmy went in the same year.

I hope they have a toast wherever they are now....

RE: New Grim Reaper Death Thread - GoodOwl - 09-05-2023 08:26 PM

(09-04-2023 10:46 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  Steve Harwell, Lead Singer For Smash mouth, Dead At 56

[Image: fa3ddab29efd49a28c3413b892278022_md.png]

Quote:A manager for the Smash Mouth lead singer tells us Steve had been struggling with alcohol abuse throughout his life -- and now, he reached the final stage of liver failure ... for which he'd, up until recently, been receiving treatment at a hospital.

Drinkin' ain't funny when you got a problem. Too many people don't take their drinking and its effects seriously until it is too late. Hospitals and meds won't save you. Only cold turkey can. Thanks for the songs. R.I.P., bro.

Singer: John lennon
Album: Shaved Fish
Song: "Cold Turkey"
October 20, 1975 Apple Records

RE: New Grim Reaper Death Thread - sierrajip - 09-06-2023 11:45 PM

No way. No way. Serious. GD GD GD GD
Delete the post if you want. I don't care. In my day, he was so special.

Three years after I graduated HS.
https://www.rockshowvideos.com/rocksuperbowl2.html

RE: New Grim Reaper Death Thread - DavidSt - 09-06-2023 11:57 PM

Former AWA and WWE Wrestler, General Adnan, dead at 84

He used to manage Sargent Slaughter when Slaughter turned heel.

RE: New Grim Reaper Death Thread - sierrajip - 09-07-2023 01:39 AM

(09-02-2023 02:45 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

Time for me to go to the music video thread.

RE: New Grim Reaper Death Thread - GoodOwl - 09-08-2023 12:56 AM

His Love will always be Alive, but alas, he's now dead.
R.I.P., Gary. You wrote and sang some absolutely KILLER tunes...

Artist: Gary Wright
Album: The Dream Weaver
Song: "Love Is Alive"
April 1976 Warner Bros. Records

Artist: Gary Wright
Album: The Dream Weaver
Song: "Dream Weaver"
July 1975 Warner Bros. Records

RE: New Grim Reaper Death Thread - DavidSt - 09-10-2023 11:19 PM

Country Singer, Charlie Robison, Dead At 59

Him, his brother Bruce and Kelly Willis were big on the Texas music scene with some success nationally.

RE: New Grim Reaper Death Thread - GoodOwl - 09-12-2023 08:14 PM

[Image: roy_kidd_eku_football][Image: roy_kidd_eku_football_2]

EKU football legend Roy Kidd passes away at 91

Quote:Kidd was the EKU football coach from 1964 to 2002, where he led his alma mater to two national I-AA championships and two runner-up finishes, 16 Ohio Valley Conference titles and 314 wins, earning induction into the College Football Hall of Fame.

After one year as assistant basketball and head baseball coach at Madison Central High School in Richmond, Kidd moved across town and led the Madison-Model high school football team to a 54-11-1 mark from 1956 to 1961.

After a year as an assistant football coach at Morehead State University, he returned to EKU, where he served one year as an assistant football coach before beginning a 39-year reign as head coach of the Colonels. Besides a record of 315-124-8 and two I-AA national titles (1979 and 1982) that book-ended runner-up finishes, Kidd led the Colonels to 25 consecutive winning seasons and 17 NCAA I-AA playoff appearances. He was named Nation Coach of the Year twice and coached 55 All-Americans, with 41 of his players signing NFL contracts.

According to EKU, Kidd was revered by his former players as a stern and demanding coach, but also as a thoughtful and compassionate mentor who cared about their personal growth and success.

Kidd was fiercely loyal to his alma mater, serving part-time for the EKU Development Office after retirement, continuing to rally support for an institution he dearly loved.

“I want our people to have pride in this place, work hard to make it nice, get a good education, be a good person when you go out in the world and treat others the way you want to be treated,” Kidd once said. “My job was to win games and to make our players good people when they go out in the world.”