CSNbbs
CUSA should schedule a UAB vs UTSA rematch for December 5th - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CUSAbbs (/forum-514.html)
+---- Forum: CUSA Conference Talk (/forum-439.html)
+---- Thread: CUSA should schedule a UAB vs UTSA rematch for December 5th (/thread-911609.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

CUSA should schedule a UAB vs UTSA rematch for December 5th - rileylives - 11-28-2020 06:39 PM

There would be no debate on West leader...

Right now, if UAB beats Rice on December 12, they represent the West with a 3-1 conference record.

A very narrow margin over UTSA with a 5-2 record.

Thoughts?

RE: CUSA should schedule a UAB vs UTSA rematch for December 5th - HogDawg - 11-28-2020 06:50 PM

(11-28-2020 06:39 PM)rileylives Wrote:  There would be no debate on West leader...

Right now, if UAB beats Rice on December 12, they represent the West with a 3-1 conference record.

Thoughts?

UTSA is 5-2 in conference, and UAB is 2-1? Seriously? You think that's equal? Come on, man.......!!

My "thought" is, UTSA has earned the Western Champ title this year, and UAB hasn't. That's not hatin on CUAB, it's just a fact.

RE: CUSA should schedule a UAB vs UTSA rematch for December 5th - rileylives - 11-28-2020 06:57 PM

(11-28-2020 06:50 PM)HogDawg Wrote:  
(11-28-2020 06:39 PM)rileylives Wrote:  There would be no debate on West leader...

Thoughts?

UTSA is 5-2 in conference, and UAB is 2-1? Seriously? You think that's equal? Come on, man.......!!

My "thought" is, UTSA has earned the Western Champ title this year, and UAB hasn't. That's not hatin on CUAB, it's just a fact.

I didn't say it was equal, CUSA laid out the ground rules, unfortunately a 3-1 UAB would be the west division leader.

It's chaos, but it's the good kind of chaos. One that might create enough instability for a potential conference split.

If Rice cancels on UAB, then UAB has every right to complain about not being the west division champion. If UAB wins on win percentage with a 3-1 record over UTSA and it's 5-2 record, UTSA has ever right to complain.

However the UAB fan will always point to the win over UTSA, but the math slightly points in favor of UAB. It's all quite intriguing, the reason why a rematch needs to be scheduled.

CUSA should schedule a UAB vs UTSA rematch for December 5th - blazr - 11-28-2020 07:00 PM

Thoughts?

First, he said “if UAB beats Rice” so we would be 3-1 then, not 2-1. Second, UAB beat UTSA if it comes down to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: CUSA should schedule a UAB vs UTSA rematch for December 5th - WKUYG - 11-28-2020 07:03 PM

UAB wants this game about as much as they wanted to play Marshall in Huntington....

once more they lucked out by catching a team on their 3rd or 4th string QB and not really having to prove themselves during the season. I apologize to USTA fans for Western's coach not being able to spot what it takes to play QB. If Helton had a clue UAB has 2 loses.

Its clear that UTSA is the best team in the west

RE: CUSA should schedule a UAB vs UTSA rematch for December 5th - HogDawg - 11-28-2020 07:46 PM

(11-28-2020 06:57 PM)rileylives Wrote:  

Thoughts?

I didn't say it was equal, CUSA laid out the ground rules, unfortunately a 3-1 UAB would be the west division leader.

It's chaos, but it's the good kind of chaos. One that might create enough instability for a potential conference split.

If Rice cancels on UAB, then UAB has every right to complain about not being the west division champion. If UAB wins on win percentage with a 3-1 record over UTSA and it's 5-2 record, UTSA has ever right to complain.

However the UAB fan will always point to the win over UTSA, but the math slightly points in favor of UAB. It's all quite intriguing, the reason why a rematch needs to be scheduled.

You asked what we THOUGHT. I told you what I thought. It's absurd. First, you don't set the ground rules --and continue to move the goal posts-- long AFTER the season has started. And that's exactly what CUSA is doing.

Here's one example of the absurdity: Why should Rice's average even be included? Rice --who has only played 3 conference games to date-- artificially drags down the average number of conference games played because they started their season so late. No one at CUSA seems to care that Rice didn't even start their season until UTSA had already played 7 football games this season. But clearly the "Rice" factor has a negative impact on UTSA's (and others') outcome when using the ad hoc "average" system..

The Rice average should be thrown out. The Owls clearly started their season so late that their average is pre-destined to finish low.

Also, if everyone plays the remainder of their schedule, that means 41 conference games (by my count, from the CUSA web site) will have been played. Divide that number by 7 teams and you have an average of 5.86 games per team. (Side note: If Rice could have played 2 more games by starting their season a little earlier, the conference average would be 6.14 instead of 5.86.) One game less than that is 4.86. That average should be rounded up to an average of 5 games, instead of 4. The 4.86 average is much closer to 5 than 4.

But noooooooo, not in CUSA, where math is apparently still being learned. My understanding is that CUSA rounds the average DOWN, but not up? This means CUSA rounds down the average when it's above a half point (e.g., 4.8 averages down to a 4.0 instead of a 5.0) regardless of the fact that it is closer to the higher number. WTF, do these CUSA people not live in the real world? That's just nonsense.

The bottom line is, there is no integrity in this process. I'm sure it doesn't matter for Marshall, because you've got things already sewed up. But it matters to many of the rest of us.

RE: CUSA should schedule a UAB vs UTSA rematch for December 5th - THUNDERStruck73 - 11-28-2020 07:53 PM

(11-28-2020 07:46 PM)HogDawg Wrote:  

Thoughts?

You asked what we THOUGHT. I told you what I thought. It's absurd. First, you don't set the ground rules --and continue to move the goal posts-- long AFTER the season has started. And that's exactly what CUSA is doing.

Here's one example of the absurdity: Why should Rice's average even be included? Rice --who has only played 3 conference games to date-- artificially drags down the average number of conference games played because they started their season so late. No one at CUSA seems to care that Rice didn't even start their season until UTSA had already played 7 football games this season. But clearly the "Rice" factor has a negative impact on UTSA's (and others') outcome when using the ad hoc "average" system..

The Rice average should be thrown out. The Owls clearly started their season so late that their average is pre-destined to finish low.

Also, if everyone plays the remainder of their schedule, that means 41 conference games (by my count, from the CUSA web site) will have been played. Divide that number by 7 teams and you have an average of 5.86 games per team. (Side note: If Rice could have played 2 more games by starting their season a little earlier, the conference average would be 6.14 instead of 5.86.) One game less than that is 4.86. That average should be rounded up to an average of 5 games, instead of 4. The 4.86 average is much closer to 5 than 4.

But noooooooo, not in CUSA, where math is apparently still being learned. My understanding is that CUSA rounds the average DOWN, but not up? This means CUSA rounds down the average when it's above a half point (e.g., 4.8 averages down to a 4.0 instead of a 5.0) regardless of the fact that it is closer to the higher number. WTF, do these CUSA people not live in the real world? That's just nonsense.

The bottom line is, there is no integrity in this process. I'm sure it doesn't matter for Marshall, because you've got things already sewed up. But it matters to many of the rest of us.
They HAD to move the goalposts when it became evident that there is a real and likely possibility that several teams would not reach 5 conference games. Can you imagine how stupid CUSA would look by keeping the only ranked and undefeated team in the conference out of the CCG on a technicality? CUSA already looks dumb enough.

RE: CUSA should schedule a UAB vs UTSA rematch for December 5th - HogDawg - 11-28-2020 08:02 PM

(11-28-2020 07:53 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  
(11-28-2020 07:46 PM)HogDawg Wrote:  

Thoughts?

They HAD to move the goalposts when it became evident that there is a real and likely possibility that several teams would not reach 5 conference games. Can you imagine how stupid CUSA would look by keeping the only ranked and undefeated team in the conference out of the CCG on a technicality? CUSA already looks dumb enough.

But you DON'T average (or round) all fractions down. Even using kooky CUSA math, you should round them to the nearest whole number.

RE: CUSA should schedule a UAB vs UTSA rematch for December 5th - rileylives - 11-28-2020 08:05 PM

Which is why CUSA can make this right by either scheduling a rematch of UAB @ UTSA or UAB @ MTSU for the weekend of December 5th. That way, there are layers of protection.

By the way, I know you were not in our conference at the time, but CUSA has "moved the goal posts" before. In fact, they have moved the goal posts one week before a championship game in the past, so there's precedent here.

RE: CUSA should schedule a UAB vs UTSA rematch for December 5th - HogDawg - 11-28-2020 08:08 PM

(11-28-2020 08:05 PM)rileylives Wrote:  Which is why CUSA can make this right by either scheduling a rematch of UAB @ UTSA or UAB @ MTSU for the weekend of December 5th. That way, there are layers of protection.

By the way, I know you were not in our conference at the time, but CUSA has "moved the goal posts" before. In fact, they have moved the goal posts one week before a championship game in the past, so there's precedent here.

LOL! Why am I not surprised? Duly noted.

RE: CUSA should schedule a UAB vs UTSA rematch for December 5th - rileylives - 11-28-2020 08:08 PM

It's a VERY narrow difference.

If UAB beats Rice...UAB has essentially two tiebreakers.

1. UAB beat UTSA
2. UAB 75% win percentage beats out UTSA 71% win percentage.

RE: CUSA should schedule a UAB vs UTSA rematch for December 5th - rileylives - 11-28-2020 08:19 PM

BTW, Rice is playing their full compliment of 8 conference games. The Marshall and UAB games were on the original Rice schedule, and those would already be in included in that 5.86 avg.

RE: CUSA should schedule a UAB vs UTSA rematch for December 5th - Fear The Beak 2 - 11-28-2020 08:28 PM

(11-28-2020 08:19 PM)rileylives Wrote:  BTW, Rice is playing their full compliment of 8 conference games. The Marshall and UAB games were on the original Rice schedule, and those would already be in included in that 5.86 avg.

No they aren’t. The Rice/UTSA game was canceled.

RE: CUSA should schedule a UAB vs UTSA rematch for December 5th - DogsWin1 - 11-28-2020 08:41 PM

(11-28-2020 08:08 PM)rileylives Wrote:  It's a VERY narrow difference.
If UAB beats Rice...UAB has essentially two tiebreakers.
1. UAB beat UTSA
2. UAB 75% win percentage beats out UTSA 71% win percentage.

UAB beating UTSA head to head 21-13 earlier should be the tie breaker. But hey, if UAB and UTSA want to meet for another game halfway between at Lafayette, LA to settle it that is fine. It really doesn't matter who goes to Huntington for the "L" to Marshall.

RE: CUSA should schedule a UAB vs UTSA rematch for December 5th - rileylives - 11-28-2020 08:43 PM

(11-28-2020 08:28 PM)Fear The Beak 2 Wrote:  
(11-28-2020 08:19 PM)rileylives Wrote:  BTW, Rice is playing their full compliment of 8 conference games. The Marshall and UAB games were on the original Rice schedule, and those would already be in included in that 5.86 avg.

No they aren’t. The Rice/UTSA game was canceled.

Yes, they are. Everyone has had cancellations, Rice were re-scheduled the UAB and Marshall games by CUSA, then they had postponements after.

The La Tech fan was pointing out Rice had some kind of advantage, but no they did not. Their original "postponed" games were re-scheduled.

CUSA only had two weeks to fill in, and Rice had already used up its two weeks of re-scheduled dates.

RE: CUSA should schedule a UAB vs UTSA rematch for December 5th - rileylives - 11-28-2020 08:45 PM

Really, the best thing CUSA could have done this year would have been to scrap divisions altogether.

Group all 13 teams, and the top two play in CUSA championship. The deck was stacked against them once ODU created an imbalance to the division format.

In that format, FAU and Marshall would be in the CUSA Championship. And quite frankly, those are the two best teams this year.

Additionally, they should have used my forefit rule.

RE: CUSA should schedule a UAB vs UTSA rematch for December 5th - rileylives - 11-28-2020 08:52 PM

And yes correct. Does it matter who we dribble all over in the CUSA championship?

UTSA and UAB would get rocked either way. Probably better for UTSA to stay home, get their first bowl win and come home with an 8-4 record.

UAB will limp into their bowl matchup at 5-4...

RE: CUSA should schedule a UAB vs UTSA rematch for December 5th - ATTALLABLAZE - 11-28-2020 09:30 PM

UAB played their third string QB against UTSA. Johnston was out. Hopkins the #2 guy has been injured all season and we started our Freshman FWIW. Now that our starter is back I have no problem playing UTSA even in the Dome. Bring it on.

Oh and no we did not turn down a chance at playing Marshall no matter how bad sone people want to believe it. In this crazy Covid season I’m just happy we are playing some games and enjoy each one. If we make the Championship game we make it if not we don’t. At least we are playing and enjoying some football.

RE: CUSA should schedule a UAB vs UTSA rematch for December 5th - THUNDERStruck73 - 11-28-2020 09:34 PM

(11-28-2020 08:52 PM)rileylives Wrote:  And yes correct. Does it matter who we dribble all over in the CUSA championship?

UTSA and UAB would get rocked either way. Probably better for UTSA to stay home, get their first bowl win and come home with an 8-4 record.

UAB will limp into their bowl matchup at 5-4...

Man, I don’t take anything for granted. A 6-5 WKU team came in and kicked our ass 6 years ago. And we are just an injury or an infection away from not reaching our goal. Whomever it is....UAB, the Meeps, or LaTech is sure to bring it (see WMU 1999). We’d better be ready for a scrap.

RE: CUSA should schedule a UAB vs UTSA rematch for December 5th - rileylives - 11-28-2020 09:55 PM

True.

BTW. La Tech, Rice and North Texas are now eliminated. UTSA owns the tiebreaker over La Tech, so even if La Tech wins out with matching 5-2 conference records, they lose the tiebreaker to UTSA.

The west is now truly down to the UAB @ Rice game on December 12.

If that game gets canceled, UTSA wins the west.

If Rice beats UAB, UTSA wins the west.

If UAB beats Rice, UAB wins the west.