CSNbbs
Biden-Harris Administration - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+------ Forum: Kent Rowald Memorial Quad (/forum-660.html)
+------ Thread: Biden-Harris Administration (/thread-911381.html)

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - Rice93 - 04-20-2022 09:50 AM

(04-20-2022 09:48 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  
(04-20-2022 08:25 AM)Rice93 Wrote:  Anyway... thanks for serving up those examples, bro. However, I had already pointed out that I was aware of instances where people voiced concerns over Elon's potential ownership of Twitter. What I had asked about was some information on the idea that liberals IN GENERAL were freaking out over free speech on Twitter. OO seems to make generalizations about the left as it relates to this issue.

There's a lot of Blue Team kerfluffle in the media now about Musk buying Twitter - and I mean, a lot. Numerous commentators, public officials, etc. commenting on it.

I suppose your point is that they aren't representative of every individual on Blue Team, but the volume of commentary suggests that it's a Blue Team issue. Perhaps you disagree?

As for generalizing, isn't that pretty common? After all, in post 4514, you asked

"Exactly what level of craziness does Taylor Greene need to display before Republican voters turn their backs on her???"

Should someone have retorted by pointing out your generalization? I think it was understood - and you meant it to be understood - that you didn't mean every single Republican everywhere.

I meant the voters in her district who are seemingly eating up what she is cooking.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - Rice93 - 04-20-2022 09:50 AM

(04-20-2022 08:25 AM)Rice93 Wrote:  Anyway... thanks for serving up those examples, bro. However, I had already pointed out that I was aware of instances where people voiced concerns over Elon's potential ownership of Twitter. What I had asked about was some information on the idea that liberals IN GENERAL were freaking out over free speech on Twitter. OO seems to make generalizations about the left as it relates to this issue.

There's a lot of Blue Team kerfluffle in the media now about Musk buying Twitter - and I mean, a lot. Numerous commentators, public officials, etc. commenting on it.

I suppose your point is that they aren't representative of every individual on Blue Team, but the volume of commentary suggests that it's a Blue Team issue. Perhaps you disagree?

As for generalizing, isn't that pretty common? After all, in post 4514, you asked

"Exactly what level of craziness does Taylor Greene need to display before Republican voters turn their backs on her???"

Should someone have retorted by pointing out your generalization? I think it was understood - and you meant it to be understood - that you didn't mean every single Republican everywhere.

I meant the voters in her district who are seemingly eating up what she is cooking.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - tanqtonic - 04-20-2022 09:52 AM

(04-20-2022 08:25 AM)Rice93 Wrote:  
(04-19-2022 10:09 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  So 93 wants 'examples' of lefty outrage over Musk --- it took me all of one site to find this from ex-Clinton Secy Labor Robert Reich.

Quote:Musk says he wants to “free” the internet. But what he really aims to do is make it even less accountable than it is now, when it’s often impossible to discover…who is filling social media with lies, who’s poisoning our minds with pseudo-science and propaganda, and who’s deciding which versions of events go viral and which stay under wraps.

Quote:n Musk’s vision of Twitter and the internet, he’d be the wizard behind the curtain…

In reality, that world would be dominated by the richest and most powerful people in the world, who wouldn’t be accountable to anyone for facts, truth, science or the common good.

That’s Musk’s dream. And Trump’s. And Putin’s. And the dream of every dictator, strongman, demagogue and modern-day robber baron on Earth. For the rest of us, it would be a brave new nightmare.

Quote:Musk has long advocated a libertarian vision of an “uncontrolled” internet. That vision is dangerous rubbish. There’s no such animal, and there never will be.

Quote:Musk advocates free speech, but in reality it’s just about power.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/apr/12/elon-musk-internet-twitter

From MSNBC:

Quote:“I mean, I’m going to be honest, Elon Musk is a danger to Twitter and to freedom of speech. He has been known to say some of the most transphobic and homophobic things to his millions of followers. So creating an arena for hate? To me, that’s what that sounds like — an opportunity for him to have no consequences. To have no flags. For people just to be able to do whatever it is and say whatever they want regardless of what kind of harm that it causes. So I think that this is something that folks really need to be paying attention to, because I think that Elon Musk buying Twitter or creating this quote-unquote ‘arena’ would be problematic.”

https://twitter.com/i/status/1516045139122212864

Pretty much wash, rinse, repeat on a constant basis from lefties.

Anything else you wish to have served up for you?

Oh damn... that seems pretty snarky! Is this where I need to start clutching my pearls and accusing you of snark? That's what we do here, correct?

Anyway... thanks for serving up those examples, bro. However, I had already pointed out that I was aware of instances where people voiced concerns over Elon's potential ownership of Twitter. What I had asked about was some information on the idea that liberals IN GENERAL were freaking out over free speech on Twitter. OO seems to make generalizations about the left as it relates to this issue.

*edit* Probably this is a pointless discussion. It's just sort of annoying to hear "The left is up in arms over X, Y, or Z" when some people go on news shows or post on twitter. It's like if somebody when on Fox News and demanded reparations. You could certainly find some twitter posts supporting this as well. Does this mean that "THE LEFT is demanding reparations!"?

Or, maybe it is almost *exclusively* the left that is in a lather about Elon, Twitter, and the concept of free speech on the medium.

And yes, it is a pointless discussion.

And to your supposed 'counterpoint', the left does seem to be the almost exclusive vector of black reparations. Maybe not *everyone* on the left supports them, but almost certainly just about everyone who does is from the left.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - tanqtonic - 04-20-2022 09:54 AM

(04-20-2022 09:50 AM)Rice93 Wrote:  

Yet you generalize to apparently 'every voter' in her district mind you with that supposed distinction. Nice dodge.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - Frizzy Owl - 04-20-2022 09:55 AM

Right - and you didn't mean Republicans IN GENERAL. Does the fact that it didn't mean Republicans IN GENERAL render your question a pointless waste of time?

A lot of media traffic these days about Musk-Twitter - causing quite a stir. Makes for interesting conversation, even if the outrage doesn't extend to every Blue Team member everywhere.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 04-20-2022 09:55 AM

Be more specific. What is she cooking? I know you don't like people who " make generalizations".

I think the voters in her district like what she says about guns, taxes, the border, etc. - major issues that most right-wingers agree on.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - tanqtonic - 04-20-2022 09:57 AM

(04-20-2022 09:35 AM)Rice93 Wrote:  
(04-20-2022 09:04 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(04-19-2022 10:09 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  So 93 wants 'examples' of lefty outrage over Musk --- it took me all of one site to find this from ex-Clinton Secy Labor Robert Reich.

Quote:Musk says he wants to “free” the internet. But what he really aims to do is make it even less accountable than it is now, when it’s often impossible to discover…who is filling social media with lies, who’s poisoning our minds with pseudo-science and propaganda, and who’s deciding which versions of events go viral and which stay under wraps.

Quote:n Musk’s vision of Twitter and the internet, he’d be the wizard behind the curtain…

In reality, that world would be dominated by the richest and most powerful people in the world, who wouldn’t be accountable to anyone for facts, truth, science or the common good.

That’s Musk’s dream. And Trump’s. And Putin’s. And the dream of every dictator, strongman, demagogue and modern-day robber baron on Earth. For the rest of us, it would be a brave new nightmare.

Quote:Musk has long advocated a libertarian vision of an “uncontrolled” internet. That vision is dangerous rubbish. There’s no such animal, and there never will be.

Quote:Musk advocates free speech, but in reality it’s just about power.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/apr/12/elon-musk-internet-twitter

From MSNBC:

Quote:“I mean, I’m going to be honest, Elon Musk is a danger to Twitter and to freedom of speech. He has been known to say some of the most transphobic and homophobic things to his millions of followers. So creating an arena for hate? To me, that’s what that sounds like — an opportunity for him to have no consequences. To have no flags. For people just to be able to do whatever it is and say whatever they want regardless of what kind of harm that it causes. So I think that this is something that folks really need to be paying attention to, because I think that Elon Musk buying Twitter or creating this quote-unquote ‘arena’ would be problematic.”

Oh damn... that seems pretty snarky! Is this where I need to start clutching my pearls and accusing you of snark? That's what we do here, correct?

Anyway... thanks for serving up those examples, bro. However, I had already pointed out that I was aware of instances where people voiced concerns over Elon's potential ownership of Twitter. What I had asked about was some information on the idea that liberals IN GENERAL were freaking out over free speech on Twitter. OO seems to make generalizations about the left as it relates to this issue.

*edit* Probably this is a pointless discussion. It's just sort of annoying to hear "The left is up in arms over X, Y, or Z" when some people go on news shows or post on twitter. It's like if somebody when on Fox News and demanded reparations. You could certainly find some twitter posts supporting this as well. Does this mean that "THE LEFT is demanding reparations!"?

No, it would mean that pretty much the only people demanding reparations were on the left, and pretty much the only people supporting reparations were on the left, and the people demanding proof that leftists were demanding and supporting reparations were on the left.

Nobody on the right is worried at all about Musk buying Twitter. That only leaves...guess who? The Russians again?

OK... nobody on the left is a featured speaker at white supremacist conferences. That only leaves... guess who?

Does that mean "people on the right love to engage with white supremacists"?

However many on the the left are actually racist. So nice try at painting with the 'racist' brush.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - Rice93 - 04-20-2022 10:08 AM

(04-20-2022 09:57 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  

From MSNBC:

No, it would mean that pretty much the only people demanding reparations were on the left, and pretty much the only people supporting reparations were on the left, and the people demanding proof that leftists were demanding and supporting reparations were on the left.

Nobody on the right is worried at all about Musk buying Twitter. That only leaves...guess who? The Russians again?

OK... nobody on the left is a featured speaker at white supremacist conferences. That only leaves... guess who?

However many on the the left are actually racist. So nice try at painting with the 'racist' brush.

LOL... painting with a brush. The point of the post that I quoted was about avoiding generalizing the entire "right" and "left".

Anyway... like I said... probably a pointless topic. I'm sorry I brought it up.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - Hambone10 - 04-20-2022 10:42 AM

(04-19-2022 04:14 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  
(04-19-2022 03:56 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  
(04-19-2022 12:44 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  I just wasn't familiar with a concerted effort from the left to suppress free speech on twitter.

Really? There were numerous conversations about it on this forum?

I read mention of the Twitter/Musk issue on the forum. I seem to recall some surmising that the left would be up in arms about Musk "running" a powerful social network. I just don't recall seeing a concerted effort from the left pushing against free speech on Twitter (again... certainly extremists might be shouting about it but I'm talking about a general leftist opinion.

Can you point me to the area where there were articles posted here that outlined that?

See below....

(04-20-2022 09:33 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  Here's something for ya, 93

Linking only the above for brevity.

OF COURSE the left won't say they are against free speech. That would be political suicide. What they will do is precisely what they have done with Trump and now it seems, Green... where they take something they say and either misquote, misrepresent or misapply it to imply some version of 'hate speech' and then argue that free speech doesn't include 'hate'. They also change definitions of words like 'hate' to suggest anything that doesn't support their goals. If you're against illegal immigration, you 'hate' brown people. If you're against defunding the police or reparations, you 'hate' black people. If you are against men competing as women in sports, you 'hate' trans persons. One of the more amusing ones to me is the one about gay marriage. Like many of these other issues, the right didn't care about them in 1970 because NOBODY cared about them in 1970. Even they weren't interested in getting married. In the 1990's even the left was generally against it including the then President Clinton and his wife, Hillary. since then, most of the left (and large swaths of the right as well) have 'evolved' on the issue and only a relative few have an issue with it... and of course that can't be tolerated. It's 'hate' to still support something that the majority of your party doesn't... but that was what almost EVERYONE supported for thousands of years.

To me its like those who dislike astroturf or aluminum bats in baseball. You're entitled to that opinion and to avoid them yourself if you choose, but the laws say you can do it. The left doesn't want such unpopular opinions to have a voice... even in Georgia... so what do they do? They call it 'hate' and seek to ban or remove it.

The Musk example is perfect in that the biggest reason the left is against it is that they fear he would 'un-ban' Trump... so they come in now with this 'power of the wealthy' argument... ignoring that Zuckerberg has the same issue with Facebook.... and they seem fine with that.... in part because he 'plays ball' with them.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - Hambone10 - 04-20-2022 11:08 AM

Let me be more clear about something....

The Squad is a sub-group from the Justice Democrats wing of the left.... which is somewhat of an offshoot of the Bernie campaign. I don't know which came first... But this is a well funded, well designed, professionally run organization that is trying to push the DNC way to the left. People like MTG and the like DO support and are supported by people like Trump, but they are not well funded, well designed or professionally run.... hence all of their mistakes and missteps. The Trump organization is all about Trump... and not about some 'cause' like 'Justice Democrats' are. The difference being Trump mostly self-funds... (sure, using public funds if he can get them) while the Squad needs the funding from Justice Democrats. It is specifically this ability to tell his benefactors to eff off that makes Trump popular. AOC and company can't tell Justice Democrats to eff off.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 04-20-2022 11:42 AM

Wait, this whole attack on me was to make the point that every person on the left is not the same on every issue?

I agree.

Same on the right.

Left = people who generally support Democrat/Social
Democrat/Socialist/Communist principles and/or candidates
Right = people who generally support Republican/Libertarian principles and/or candidates.

Just got back from the gym. My gym has a bank of TV monitors mounted to be viewed by people on treadmills and stairmasters. Turns out MSNBC, CNN, and Fix are in a group of 3 out of 4, so I chose a treadmill where I could see all three. They are all closed captioned.

MSNBC spent their time on letting a musician I never heard f give a performance.
Fox spent their time on presenting live testimony in the Depp-Heard case.
CNN ran a segment on the gun used in Philadelphia.

So, on newsworthiness, I give the nod to CNN.

BUT...

the focus was on that it was an "AR-15 type" of weapon. The thrust was that we need more gun laws to prevent shootings like this.

All about the gun. Not a word about the trigger finger. Nothing on defunding. Very biased toward the anti-gun lobby, IMO.

JMHO

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 04-20-2022 11:50 AM

(04-20-2022 10:42 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  One of the more amusing ones to me is the one about gay marriage. Like many of these other issues, the right didn't care about them in 1970 because NOBODY cared about them in 1970. Even they weren't interested in getting married. In the 1990's even the left was generally against it including the then President Clinton and his wife, Hillary. since then, most of the left (and large swaths of the right as well) have 'evolved' on the issue and only a relative few have an issue with it... and of course that can't be tolerated.

When the issue og gay marriage first came up decades back, I thought about it for a while, then decided I was in favor of it under the basis of equal treatment.

After all, why should gay people be denied the right to lose 1/2 their net worth in a divorce or the joy of sending a spousal support check to an ex and their new lover? So I have been for gay marriage from day one.

Next up - plural marriage. Why should thruples and certain religious sects be denied the same joys as others?

I can be VERY liberal at times.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 04-20-2022 11:51 AM

(04-20-2022 10:42 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  One of the more amusing ones to me is the one about gay marriage. Like many of these other issues, the right didn't care about them in 1970 because NOBODY cared about them in 1970. Even they weren't interested in getting married. In the 1990's even the left was generally against it including the then President Clinton and his wife, Hillary. since then, most of the left (and large swaths of the right as well) have 'evolved' on the issue and only a relative few have an issue with it... and of course that can't be tolerated.

When the issue og gay marriage first came up decades back, I thought about it for a while, then decided I was in favor of it under the basis of equal treatment.

After all, why should gay people be denied the right to lose 1/2 their net worth in a divorce or the joy of sending a spousal support check to an ex and their new lover? So I have been for gay marriage from day one.

Next up - plural marriage. Why should thruples and certain religious sects be denied the same joys as afforded to couples?

I can be VERY liberal at times.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - tanqtonic - 04-20-2022 12:01 PM

(04-20-2022 10:08 AM)Rice93 Wrote:  
(04-20-2022 08:25 AM)Rice93 Wrote:  Oh damn... that seems pretty snarky! Is this where I need to start clutching my pearls and accusing you of snark? That's what we do here, correct?

LOL... painting with a brush. The point of the post that I quoted was about avoiding generalizing the entire "right" and "left".

What you didn't stop and think about is that in your proferred definition that 'one can only say a political bent supports a position when all support is' really doesn't fly. In fact using that tact results in no side ever supports any position.

I'll man up and say white supremacy is a child of the right. Racism in general has support on both left and right

In this instance the call against Elon and the associated attack on free speech is a child of the left. No matter how much you dance a jig on the subject.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 04-20-2022 12:09 PM

(04-20-2022 12:01 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  I'll man up and say white supremacy is a child of the right.

Used to be a Democratic staple, back in the 40-s, 50's, and 60's. My former in-laws, both lifelong straight ticket Democrats, were very against black people.

But yeah, even though WS are an endangered species, most of the few that are left are far right. Probably as common as mountain lions in Dallas County.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - Rice93 - 04-20-2022 12:37 PM

(04-20-2022 12:01 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(04-20-2022 09:04 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  No, it would mean that pretty much the only people demanding reparations were on the left, and pretty much the only people supporting reparations were on the left, and the people demanding proof that leftists were demanding and supporting reparations were on the left.

What you didn't stop and think about is that in your proferred definition that 'one can only say a political bent supports a position when all support is' really doesn't fly. In fact using that tact results in no side ever supports any position.

I'll man up and say white supremacy is a child of the right. Racism in general has support on both left and right

In this instance the call against Elon and the associated attack on free speech is a child of the left. No matter how much you dance a jig on the subject.

Of course it is. I fully acknowledge that a certain wackjob element of the left has made limiting free speech a real issue. Again... I was wondering why OO seemed to imply that it as a major issue for the left but I am sorry I brought it up.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - Rice93 - 04-20-2022 12:40 PM

(04-20-2022 11:42 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  Wait, this whole attack on me was to make the point that every person on the left is not the same on every issue?

Do you really view the discussion over the past day as an "attack on you"? If so you may have a persecution complex.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - tanqtonic - 04-20-2022 01:30 PM

(04-20-2022 12:37 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  
(04-20-2022 12:01 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(04-20-2022 09:35 AM)Rice93 Wrote:  OK... nobody on the left is a featured speaker at white supremacist conferences. That only leaves... guess who?

Of course it is. I fully acknowledge that a certain wackjob element of the left has made limiting free speech a real issue. Again... I was wondering why OO seemed to imply that it as a major issue for the left but I am sorry I brought it up.

Robert Reich is a 'wackjob' fringe? Seems to be well amidst the masses of the left.

I can point to numerous others who do not seem to be 'wackjobs' on the left that have spoken out against Elon and his stance re: Twitter.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 04-20-2022 02:38 PM

(04-20-2022 12:40 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  
(04-20-2022 11:42 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  Wait, this whole attack on me was to make the point that every person on the left is not the same on every issue?

Do you really view the discussion over the past day as an "attack on you"? If so you may have a persecution complex.

I consider THIS SENTENCE as directed specifically at me":

OO seems to make generalizations about the left as it relates to this.

Since it seems to be a negative comment on me, I think it fits under the umbrella of attacks on me. No a major one, more like a mosquito bite, but still a bite.

No big deal. Feel free to keep on making comments about me.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - Rice93 - 04-20-2022 02:46 PM

(04-20-2022 02:38 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(04-20-2022 12:40 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  

I consider THIS SENTENCE as directed specifically at me":

OO seems to make generalizations about the left as it relates to this.

Since it seems to be a negative comment on me, I think it fits under the umbrella of attacks on me. No a major one, more like a mosquito bite, but still a bite.

No big deal. Feel free to keep on making comments about me.

Sorry, but to label the bolded as an attack is over-the-top by any measure.