CSNbbs
Biden-Harris Administration - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+------ Forum: Kent Rowald Memorial Quad (/forum-660.html)
+------ Thread: Biden-Harris Administration (/thread-911381.html)

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 03-17-2022 09:55 AM

Watching the daily coverage of the Ukraine, I have these thoughts:

There are things Biden has done I support. There are things he has done that I don't support.

But his reaction to the the events in Ukraine is moot, since I believe if Biden was not president, there would be no Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Biden was widely expected to be a caretaker president and a man of malleable convictions. His shameful actions in Afghanistan shored up these perceptions.

If Trump had been re-elected, would Putin think that NOW I can finally get what I want? I doubt it. He had four years to move, and did not. Perhaps he was watching when Trump and Kim Jong Un had their discussions over whose button was bigger.

We elected Mr. Not-Trump, and this is the price we, and the world, will pay. Evil dictators from Cuba to Venezuela to North Korea to China to Iran to Russia will run amok. Some of them using the weapons and dollars Biden gives them, as well as his tacit blessing.

I firmly believe that if China goes after Taiwan, and Russia goes after other countries, Biden will find a way to not go to their aid. Even the NATO countries.

So it comes down to the brave citizens of Ukraine, and Zelenskyy, to stop this. I hope they can, and that they do.

JMHOs.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - Owl 69/70/75 - 03-17-2022 10:01 AM

(03-17-2022 09:55 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  Watching the daily coverage of the Ukraine, I have these thoughts:
There are things Biden has done I support. There are things he has done that I don't support.
But his reaction to the the events in Ukraine is moot, since I believe if Biden was not president, there would be no Russian invasion of Ukraine.
Biden was widely expected to be a caretaker president and a man of malleable convictions. His shameful actions in Afghanistan shored up these perceptions.
If Trump had been re-elected, would Putin think that NOW I can finally get what I want? I doubt it. He had four years to move, and did not. Perhaps he was watching when Trump and Kim Jong Un had their discussions over whose button was bigger.

Tying two themes together, one thing that I think is fairly certain is that JFK would not not have stood aside and allowed Putin free rein in Ukraine, and knowing that, Putin would not have tried.

For all the "Trump...Russia" BS, the facts are as follows:

GWB-Putin invaded Georgia
Obama-Putin invaded Ukraine (Crimea)
Trump-Putin invaded nobody
Biden-Putin invaded Ukraine again

Which of these things is not like the others?

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 03-17-2022 10:20 AM

(03-17-2022 10:01 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(03-17-2022 09:55 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  Watching the daily coverage of the Ukraine, I have these thoughts:

Tying two themes together, one thing that I think is fairly certain is that JFK would not not have stood aside and allowed Putin free rein in Ukraine, and knowing that, Putin would not have tried.

For all the "Trump...Russia" BS, the facts are as follows:

GWB-Putin invaded Georgia
Obama-Putin invaded Ukraine (Crimea)
Trump-Putin invaded nobody
Biden-Putin invaded Ukraine again

Which of these things is not like the others?

A common thread between Kennedy and Trump is a strong foreign policy. A common thread between Obama and Biden is a weak foreign policy.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 03-17-2022 10:25 AM

(03-17-2022 10:01 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  .

For all the "Trump...Russia" BS,

Bill Barr, in one of his many interviews, said that we needed to separate Russia and China, to drive a wedge between them, but Trumps hands were tied because of the false and shameful Russia-gate investigation.

So we missed a chance to make the world safer because the Democrats were engaging in political character assassination.

Thanks, Hillary et al.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 03-18-2022 10:10 AM

I know we conservative types are supposed to be cold and uncompassionate. We all know this because the DNC and MSM tell us so, and they wouldn't lie.

But damn, it is hard to watch the misery in Ukraine right now. I have watched war and misery on TV since the 50's, but this is the toughest.

OA, JMHO.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 03-18-2022 10:22 AM

In the meantime, Hunter is back in the news, including even the NYT. Has a son of a sitting president ever been indicted? I know a lot of people were hoping for just that during the previous Administration, so maybe it is not totally unthinkable.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 03-18-2022 01:32 PM

Jen Psaki is very good at her job. Unfortunately, her job is not to promote understanding, or even truth, but to spin Administration policies in the best possible light.

But when she says that there are 9,000 drilling permits unused and so the Administration is not at fault for gas prices, she is doing more than spin - she is lying.

That's like saying I have been cleared to start a trucking company because I have a driver's permit.

Lots of time and money and, yes, many more permits are needed to bring wells into production. I think everybody here understands that. Her target audience is not us, it is the straight ticket office worker who has never owned a business or made an investment. Probably works with them.

Comparing one Democrat to to another:

Truman: The buck stops here.
Biden: Not my fault.

My concern with gas prices is not personal. I can afford the gas for the amount of driving I do. I worry though about a lot of other citizens who drive a lot in the performance of their jobs - small businessmen such as landscapers and repairmen, self-employed salesmen, commuters, businesses that ship their goods, the kind of people Biden/Democrats say they want to help and protect. Not doing a very good job of it.

But at least we know it is not Biden's fault, and that there is nothing he could do.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - Owl 69/70/75 - 03-18-2022 03:20 PM

(03-18-2022 01:32 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  But when she says that there are 9,000 drilling permits unused and so the Administration is not at fault for gas prices, she is doing more than spin - she is lying.

She is a totally despicable *itch (feel free to use the consonant of your choice) in my opinion.

Even if the 9,000 unused permits are true, there's a lot more to the story. For one, you typically have a bunch of other hoops to jump through before you can actually drill. For another, you have to find a contractor with a drilling rig, and when Biden first announced restrictions on drilling on federal land, a bunch of those pulled out and went elsewhere that they could get work immediately.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 03-18-2022 05:05 PM

(03-18-2022 03:20 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(03-18-2022 01:32 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  But when she says that there are 9,000 drilling permits unused and so the Administration is not at fault for gas prices, she is doing more than spin - she is lying.

She is a totally despicable *itch (feel free to use the consonant of your choice) in my opinion.

Even if the 9,000 unused permits are true, there's a lot more to the story. For one, you typically have a bunch of other hoops to jump through before you can actually drill. For another, you have to find a contractor with a drilling rig, and when Biden first announced restrictions on drilling on federal land, a bunch of those pulled out and went elsewhere that they could get work immediately.

I don't doubt that the 9000 permits is true. They are unused for a reason - most of them are sites that have been deemed poor quality or overly expensive to develop.

Lots of roads, pipelines, and other things need to happen/be permitted and lots of other regulations and permits to get through, as we all know here. Not every permit is going to result in a gusher, which is the implication of the Admin's case.

But it gives them some cover to say it's not our fault.

What was it that Biden said on his first day when he signed those executive orders? Something about declaring war on fossil fuels? Biden and Putin have in common that the wars they are pursuing are not their fault.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 03-18-2022 11:11 PM

(03-18-2022 10:22 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  In the meantime, Hunter is back in the news, including even the NYT. Has a son of a sitting president ever been indicted? I know a lot of people were hoping for just that during the previous Administration, so maybe it is not totally unthinkable.

speaking of Hunter…

Devine, author of the Hunter-centric book "Laptop From Hell", further told host Jesse Watters that she is still very concerned about what she described as alleged "influence peddling" abroad under the Biden name.

Aside: I know some of you guys don’t like to hear from Fox, but since they are the only one not in the DNC pocket, they are the only one reporting on this.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - tanqtonic - 03-19-2022 09:40 AM

Remember when the libs said trump would crash the economy and start World War 3?

Only seemingly off by one term.....

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 03-19-2022 09:52 AM

(03-19-2022 09:40 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Remember when the libs said trump would crash the economy and start World War 3?

The libs said a lot things about Trump. And his family. And his associates. And his supporters.

…didn’t need to be factual or even reasonable.

But it swayed enough people to win the next election, and of course, that is all that is important. Mission accomplished.

We even heard some of those things quoted and/or defended here, by intelligent people. The power of the press should not be underestimated.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - Tomball Owl - 03-19-2022 10:01 AM

(03-19-2022 09:52 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(03-19-2022 09:40 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Remember when the libs said trump would crash the economy and start World War 3?

The libs said a lot things about Trump. And his family. And his associates. And his supporters.

But it swayed enough people to win the next election, and of course, that is all that is important. Mission accomplished.

We even heard some of those things quoted and/or defended here, by intelligent people. The power of the press should not be underestimated.

Reminds me of the Larry David FTX Super Bowl commercial...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH5-rSxilxo

"The people shall have the right to vote. Even the stupid ones?"

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 03-19-2022 10:15 AM

(03-19-2022 10:01 AM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  

Reminds me of the Larry David FTX Super Bowl commercial...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH5-rSxilxo

"The people shall have the right to vote. Even the stupid ones?"

Of course, the definition of who has the right to vote has been expanded several times, never shrunk.

Originally it was property-owning males, even black ones if they were legally free.

Of course, We lifted the wealth restriction, expanded it to cover women and lowed the age from 21 to 18.

So the right to vote is malleable.

Oddly, you bring up one, indirectly, that I have taken grief from both right and left on this forum.

I personally find it distasteful that my vote can be canceled out by somebody who thinks DC is a state or that the right to bear arms means they can wear short sleeves if they want or that the Judicial branch comes from a tree.

I have proposed that when a potential voter comes of age but before they are allowed to actually vote, they need to pass a test similar to the one we require of people wanting to be naturalized citizens. Very minimal, and only needed one time.

It is also my opinion that lowering the age to vote, a measure I supported at the time, was a mistake, and it would be better for the country if we raised the age to, say, 25, the minimum age to serve in Congress. This gives the prospective voter some time to finish their education and to gain some real world experience, including the experience of paying taxes. I remember my starry-eyed idealism when I was young. Most people outgrow it to one degree or another.

Of the two proposals, I think the latter is more important, but both would make our electorate better able to cast informed votes. Shouldn’t that be the goal, and not getting as many ignorant people as possible to vote for your side?

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 03-19-2022 11:42 AM

(03-18-2022 11:11 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(03-18-2022 10:22 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  In the meantime, Hunter is back in the news, including even the NYT. Has a son of a sitting president ever been indicted? I know a lot of people were hoping for just that during the previous Administration, so maybe it is not totally unthinkable.

speaking of Hunter…

Devine, author of the Hunter-centric book "Laptop From Hell", further told host Jesse Watters that she is still very concerned about what she described as alleged "influence peddling" abroad under the Biden name.

Aside: I know some of you guys don’t like to hear from Fox, but since they are the only one not in the DNC pocket, they are the only one reporting on this.

But wait, there’s more

Plenty of “smoke” here.

death of journalism

Personally, I think journalism has been dead a long time.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 03-19-2022 09:10 PM

Biden to close southern border

Not something I thought (think?) will happen, but the reasoning below makes sense.

Recent polling suggests as many as 50 percent of Hispanic voters are more inclined to vote Republican on generic ballots, Hanson said Friday, which could doom Democrats' midterm prospects.

Many Hispanic-American voters in border states like Texas, New Mexico and Arizona are not happy with the open-borders policy and its effect on their communities, he added.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 03-20-2022 09:49 AM

More heart-rending images from Ukraine this morning.

So no answers on the question of why Putin didn’t make this move when he had a puppet in the White House.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - GoodOwl - 03-20-2022 09:52 AM

no, no, no, remember the Left sez Trump was BAD-- why, just look at how muh BETTER everything in the country and the world is today!

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 03-20-2022 09:58 AM

(03-20-2022 09:52 AM)GoodOwl Wrote:  

no, no, no, remember the Left sez Trump was BAD-- why, just look at how muh BETTER everything in the country and the world is today!

Well, the President is no longer sending out mean tweets, which seems to have been the ultimate goal of the antiTrumpists.. Instead he is turning his back on reporters and walking out or avoiding answering questions.

I guess some people prefer their Presidents managed rather than unmanageable.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 03-21-2022 09:35 AM

(03-19-2022 11:42 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(03-18-2022 11:11 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

speaking of Hunter…

But wait, there’s more

Plenty of “smoke” here.

death of journalism

Personally, I think journalism has been dead a long time.

Good review of how the MSM acts as the DNC's press secretary

The no apologies media tour.