CSNbbs
Biden-Harris Administration - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+------ Forum: Kent Rowald Memorial Quad (/forum-660.html)
+------ Thread: Biden-Harris Administration (/thread-911381.html)

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 01-03-2021 09:35 AM

Here is a segment of the working public affected by the pandemic that I never thought of - drag queens

I wonder if they will get checks? Guss it depends solely on how well they were doing before.

But it is indicative of a genre of workers we don’t often think of when we think of those affected by the shut downs - performers of all kinds, and the musicians and crew that support them.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 01-03-2021 10:16 AM

Reading this morning that economists expect an uptick in foreclosures as deferred home payments come due. People who deferred 6 months of mortgage payments will not be able to afford the lump sum when it comes due. The longer the deferral, the tougher the catch up.

I think mortgage companies will work with any mortgages who exhibit an honest intention and effort to catch up. After all, they don’t need to own empty houses in a down market.

Situation is different for landlords who are owed 6 months rent - I expect most of those will end up with midnight move outs, and no repayment of back rent. But at least they can rerent the properties and start getting an income again.

I no longer own any income properties, but I used to, and so my sympathies lie more with the landlords. I am sure none had their taxes and insurance cost reduced or delayed, and they have been expected to make repairs and maintenance as needed. It nobody cares about their struggles, right?

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - RiceLad15 - 01-03-2021 10:45 AM

(01-03-2021 09:35 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  Here is a segment of the working public affected by the pandemic that I never thought of - drag queens

I wonder if they will get checks? Guss it depends solely on how well they were doing before.

But it is indicative of a genre of workers we don’t often think of when we think of those affected by the shut downs - performers of all kinds, and the musicians and crew that support them.

See - this is why I’m arguing to just send these support funds out to everyone. It’s too difficult to effectively evaluate who has been impacted significant during the pandemic by using previous years’ tax returns.

Just put in a stipulation about how anyone who makes over $X per year in 2020 will be taxed an extra $2,000 in 2021 to claw it back from high earners in 2020 that don’t need the assistance.

And personally, I’d like to see these payments extend past one time payments to make sure we’re actually covering and helping people in the industries that are being decimated, regardless of restrictions (obviously there are some industries that won’t be back at full tilt until people feel safe congregating in crowds).

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 01-03-2021 10:53 AM

(01-03-2021 10:45 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(01-03-2021 09:35 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  Here is a segment of the working public affected by the pandemic that I never thought of - drag queens

See - this is why I’m arguing to just send these support funds out to everyone. It’s too difficult to effectively evaluate who has been impacted significant during the pandemic by using previous years’ tax returns.

Just put in a stipulation about how anyone who makes over $X per year in 2020 will be taxed an extra $2,000 in 2021 to claw it back from high earners in 2020 that don’t need the assistance.

And personally, I’d like to see these payments extend past one time payments to make sure we’re actually covering and helping people in the industries that are being decimated, regardless of restrictions (obviously there are some industries that won’t be back at full tilt until people feel safe congregating in crowds).

I am Ok with just sending them out Willy nillyto just anybody. I just hate to see the career politicians (mostly Democrats) characterizing them as help for those in need, even as they refer to them as “stimulus checks”. Something you refer to above as helping people in certain industries. Are they stimulus, or help?

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - RiceLad15 - 01-03-2021 11:09 AM

(01-03-2021 10:53 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

I am Ok with just sending them out Willy nillyto just anybody. I just hate to see the career politicians (mostly Democrats) characterizing them as help for those in need, even as they refer to them as “stimulus checks”. Something you refer to above as helping people in certain industries. Are they stimulus, or help?

What's the difference in your eyes? And are Republicans not also characterizing these payments as help for those in need (also, why is that characterization bad)?

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - tanqtonic - 01-03-2021 11:17 AM

So you are in favor of means testing..... just in an ex post facto way.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - georgewebb - 01-03-2021 12:04 PM

(01-03-2021 10:45 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  It’s too difficult to effectively evaluate who has been impacted significant during the pandemic by using previous years’ tax returns.
Not to mention a classic scenario for rent-seeking, as each group tries to lobby that it particularly "deserves" favorable treatment.

You're almost starting to think like a tax reformer!

(01-03-2021 10:45 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  Just put in a stipulation about how anyone who makes over $X per year in 2020 will be taxed an extra $2,000 in 2021 to claw it back from high earners in 2020 that don’t need the assistance.
Is there a particular advantage in treating this income differently from other income? Since the payment is intended to replace people's ordinary earned income, it seems logical to treat it as ordinary earned income.

At any rate, that seems more sensible than a lump sum triggered by a step function.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - georgewebb - 01-03-2021 12:19 PM

(01-03-2021 10:16 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  I no longer own any income properties, but I used to, and so my sympathies lie more with the landlords.

My sister is a landlord, which is how she supported herself during her late-in-life PhD pursuit, so my sympathies are similar. Tenants are asked to do two simple things: pay on time and not trash the place. Yet a few of them think they have a right not to do either, and in popular discourse there is no shortage of people eager to make excuses for them.

A few years ago, the topic of the play "Rent" came up in a Facebook discussion, and I opined that I found it hard to empathize with the characters who were complaining about having to pay rent from a YEAR AGO. The "progressives" in the discussion proceeded to call me some pretty nasty names -- all because I did not subscribe to the "correct" opinion about a play. One even said that I had no right to offer my opinion at all.

"Progressives" are weird.

When I rented an apartment, paying the rent on time each month was a priority. As a result, my landlords adored me. It is sad that what should be ordinary conscientiousness is considered exceptional courtesy.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 01-03-2021 03:15 PM

(01-03-2021 11:09 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(01-03-2021 10:53 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

What's the difference in your eyes? And are Republicans not also characterizing these payments as help for those in need (also, why is that characterization bad)?

If these payments are to help people in need, then why don't they send them to people in need? For example, people who lost jobs or had their businesses closed or limited?

Instead, we hear them characterized as "stimulus". A stimulus check can be sent to anybody - as these are - as the intent is just to put extra cash in the economy. They can send the checks to millionaires or homeless - it doesn't matter.

I think if the intent is to help those in need, then need should be demonstrated - and that is NOT,, repeat, NOT what is happening.

Now if it is determined that we need to pump cash in the economy, then don't tell me these payments are intended to help those in need when so many who are in need are ignored, and many who are not in need get checks.

So, basically, I just want a spade called a spade - either just say we are throwing money into the economy willynilly, or means test or some other test tot determine if the money is supposed to be going to people who need it.

Basically, I think calling it money to help needy people is a lie and a whitewash.

Now if I was trying to help those in need, I would do something to help small business, the source of most jobs. But somehow that is evil.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - Tomball Owl - 01-03-2021 08:57 PM

My son graduated in Dec 2018 (engineering). My daughter graduated in Aug 2019 (medical laboratory scientist). Both are employed in the field of their degrees. Both were on my dole for the tax year of their graduation and off the following year. Because these payments were based on 2019 tax returns, my son has gotten partial payment checks in both rounds. My daughter got squat. Neither needed a check(s) since they are employed and didn’t lose income due to the pandemic, but my son gladly took it and my daughter is still ticked her brother got something she didn’t.

If the govt can means test unemployment payments, i.e., you actually lost your job, why can’t these checks be “need tested”, i.e., you lost your job or are prevented from working due to the pandemic.

So wasteful. I told my kids they would be paying for the payments they got/didn’t get long after I’m gone.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 01-04-2021 09:35 AM

(01-03-2021 08:57 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  My son graduated in Dec 2018 (engineering). My daughter graduated in Aug 2019 (medical laboratory scientist). Both are employed in the field of their degrees. Both were on my dole for the tax year of their graduation and off the following year. Because these payments were based on 2019 tax returns, my son has gotten partial payment checks in both rounds. My daughter got squat. Neither needed a check(s) since they are employed and didn’t lose income due to the pandemic, but my son gladly took it and my daughter is still ticked her brother got something she didn’t.

If the govt can means test unemployment payments, i.e., you actually lost your job, why can’t these checks be “need tested”, i.e., you lost your job or are prevented from working due to the pandemic.

So wasteful. I told my kids they would be paying for the payments they got/didn’t get long after I’m gone.

Exactly. But we are told that the checks are for "those in need", and that is why it is shameful to delay them or reduce them. Some people seem to have swallowed that characterization, as they keep using the "in need" phrase.

When I get my check, it goes straight into my retirement account. That is where I will have to go to get the money to pay the extra taxes to pay for these checks. That is the area of need.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 01-04-2021 09:49 AM

Obama top economic advisor on stimulus checks

Speaking at the annual American Economic Association meeting at the weekend, Romer said: "They just go to everyone below a certain income level. And to the degree that they work, they stimulate spending overall, which is not necessarily desirable during a pandemic.

"It may in fact encourage activities like travel, and eating in restaurants, that is exactly what shouldn't be happening. And they obviously do nothing for the most affected sectors that can't open or respond because of health concerns." (bolding mine)

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 01-04-2021 10:28 AM

I have my $600 free money in my account this morning, direct deposit.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - Tomball Owl - 01-04-2021 11:26 AM

(01-04-2021 10:28 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  I have my $600 "free" money in my account this morning, direct deposit.

FIFY

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 01-04-2021 01:27 PM

(01-04-2021 11:26 AM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  
(01-04-2021 10:28 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  I have my $600 "free" money in my account this morning, direct deposit.

FIFY

TY.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 01-05-2021 09:17 AM

Democratic wins expected to slam the S&P 500

Oppenheimer strategist John Stoltzfus wrote in a note Monday, “Should the Democrats win both seats, we expect the S&P 500 to become vulnerable to a downdraft in the neighborhood of 6% to 10%.”

The Dow Jones Industrial Average and the S&P 500 both opened high Monday but plummeted amidst political fears of an unbalanced government and potential corporate tax hikes for 2021. The Dow closed Monday down 1.25%, more than 382 points. The S&P 500 lost more than 55 points, a 1.48% drop.

Well, higher taxes should certainly make a lot of people feel better.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - Rice93 - 01-05-2021 09:54 AM

(01-05-2021 09:17 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  Democratic wins expected to slam the S&P 500

Oppenheimer strategist John Stoltzfus wrote in a note Monday, “Should the Democrats win both seats, we expect the S&P 500 to become vulnerable to a downdraft in the neighborhood of 6% to 10%.”

The Dow Jones Industrial Average and the S&P 500 both opened high Monday but plummeted amidst political fears of an unbalanced government and potential corporate tax hikes for 2021. The Dow closed Monday down 1.25%, more than 382 points. The S&P 500 lost more than 55 points, a 1.48% drop.

Did they say the same thing about an Obama presidency?

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 01-05-2021 12:03 PM

(01-05-2021 09:54 AM)Rice93 Wrote:  
(01-05-2021 09:17 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  Democratic wins expected to slam the S&P 500

Did they say the same thing about an Obama presidency?

No idea. Was he promising to raise taxes?

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 01-05-2021 06:08 PM

At least the Biden-Harris administration will be consistent in one aspect - plagiarism

Probably won't be questioned on this by the MSM.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - westsidewolf1989 - 01-05-2021 11:58 PM

Looks as if Biden/Harris will have their split Senate. Turns out licking Trump's boots was not a good strategy for Perdue and the carpetbagger Loeffler.