CSNbbs
Biden-Harris Administration - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+------ Forum: Kent Rowald Memorial Quad (/forum-660.html)
+------ Thread: Biden-Harris Administration (/thread-911381.html)

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - tanqtonic - 10-14-2021 04:59 PM

(10-13-2021 03:47 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(10-13-2021 03:29 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(10-13-2021 02:43 PM)BSWBRice Wrote:  What types of cash jobs? You're probably right to some extent, though I'm drawing a blank on what roles might've popped up over the past 18 months.

It is weird that all these low paying roles were filled, COVID hit, and now these workers seem to have disappeared. I don't think the $1800 stimmy is still carrying the day.

Apologies if this has already been hashed and re-hashed; sometimes I skim over some of the back-and-forth.

edit: sentence structure

Food delivery, Uber, lawn care, odd jobs, construction, anything a lot of people do for cash without reporting the cash income. Not saying it is new stuff that suddenly appeared in the last year. Just that somebody making more than $15/hour between a cash job + givernment benefits may not in a hurry to take a $15/hour job. The loss of regular jobs due to the pandemic forced people to accommodate, and for some, maybe those accommodations sound better now than going back to the old ways.

JMHO. But it makes sense, and nobody else has made a better suggestion.

I'd be surprised if Uber and food delivery apps allow for that sort of non-reporting. All of the payments are electronic and no cash passes between people.

Funny, every now and then I actually drive Uber. Have done so since I moved back to Texas. Mainly to get out of the house and clear my head.

Do it a number of times down in Fredericksburg on the weekends as well.

A fair number of the times I have been tipped in straight cash, outside of the app.

Your last sentence is patently false.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 10-14-2021 05:18 PM

(10-14-2021 04:59 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(10-13-2021 02:43 PM)BSWBRice Wrote:  What types of cash jobs? You're probably right to some extent, though I'm drawing a blank on what roles might've popped up over the past 18 months.

It is weird that all these low paying roles were filled, COVID hit, and now these workers seem to have disappeared. I don't think the $1800 stimmy is still carrying the day.

Apologies if this has already been hashed and re-hashed; sometimes I skim over some of the back-and-forth.

Food delivery, Uber, lawn care, odd jobs, construction, anything a lot of people do for cash without reporting the cash income. Not saying it is new stuff that suddenly appeared in the last year. Just that somebody making more than $15/hour between a cash job + givernment benefits may not in a hurry to take a $15/hour job. The loss of regular jobs due to the pandemic forced people to accommodate, and for some, maybe those accommodations sound better now than going back to the old ways.

I'd be surprised if Uber and food delivery apps allow for that sort of non-reporting. All of the payments are electronic and no cash passes between people.

Funny, every now and then I actually drive Uber. Have done so since I moved back to Texas. Mainly to get out of the house and clear my head.

A fair number of the times I have been tipped in straight cash, outside of the app.

what the IRS did with servers was "deem" that their tips were 8% of their tickets. So I often tip in cash after paying for the check with a credit card, hoping to help the worker get a little ahead.

But I think a lot of people have found ways to work off the books, and be officially unemployed while earning cash for work. There was more incentive to do this sort of double dip when the rewards for being "unemployed" were so great.

Still, if somebody has a better explanation for why so many businesses in varying sectors are having trouble finding workers, feel free to advance your opinion. My mind and ears are open.

In a related topic, I don't think Biden's bid to regally solve the supply chain problem by ordering ports to double their shifts will have much effect. First the ports need to double their number of workers and supervisors. Then once the ships are unloaded, the goods will sit in warehouses due to the trucker shortage. Thoughts on this, anybody?

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - georgewebb - 10-14-2021 05:20 PM

I often (as in every 2-3 weeks) wonder how much income barbers report.

And I cannot forget this story from the aftermath of the Deepwater Horizon disaster in the Gulf of Mexico. A compensation fund was set up to help, among others, shrimpers who had lost income due to damage to the shrimp population. Now, shrimpers are generally paid in cash at the dock for their catches. For this compensation fund, a shrimper would declare how much income he had lost since the previous year, and would be compensated accordingly. Evidently a common conversation was along the following lines:

Compensation fund agent: "How much money have you been able to earn this year from shrimping?"
Shrimper: "Things are bad -- I've made no more than $30,000 this year."
Agent: "And how much did you earn the previous year?"
Shrimper: "Things were good -- I was making $200,000 easily."
Agent: "That's interesting, because the income you reported last year was only $80,000..."

By the way, the Deepwater Horizon movie from 2016 (https://www.lionsgate.com/movies/deepwater-horizon) is regarded as a pretty good depiction of the events.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 10-14-2021 05:22 PM

Gosh, when it comes to getting free money from the government, lots of people are dishonest. Who wooda thunk it?

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - RiceLad15 - 10-14-2021 06:25 PM

Maybe work on your reading comprehension? (snark gets snark)

Tipping isn’t payment - how many times have your fares been paid in cash? I specifically mentioned that cash tipping does occur. I estimated that maybe 10% of the time is was cash. I’ve got no problem if I’m off on the percentage, but I doubt nearly anyone is paying for their rides in cash.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - RiceLad15 - 10-14-2021 06:27 PM

(10-14-2021 05:18 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

what the IRS did with servers was "deem" that their tips were 8% of their tickets. So I often tip in cash after paying for the check with a credit card, hoping to help the worker get a little ahead.

But I think a lot of people have found ways to work off the books, and be officially unemployed while earning cash for work. There was more incentive to do this sort of double dip when the rewards for being "unemployed" were so great.

Still, if somebody has a better explanation for why so many businesses in varying sectors are having trouble finding workers, feel free to advance your opinion. My mind and ears are open.

In a related topic, I don't think Biden's bid to regally solve the supply chain problem by ordering ports to double their shifts will have much effect. First the ports need to double their number of workers and supervisors. Then once the ships are unloaded, the goods will sit in warehouses due to the trucker shortage. Thoughts on this, anybody?

I’ve offered multiple opinions for the lack of workers… you’ve even responded to a few of them! Lol

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 10-14-2021 06:36 PM

(10-14-2021 06:27 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(10-13-2021 03:29 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  Food delivery, Uber, lawn care, odd jobs, construction, anything a lot of people do for cash without reporting the cash income. Not saying it is new stuff that suddenly appeared in the last year. Just that somebody making more than $15/hour between a cash job + givernment benefits may not in a hurry to take a $15/hour job. The loss of regular jobs due to the pandemic forced people to accommodate, and for some, maybe those accommodations sound better now than going back to the old ways.

I’ve offered multiple opinions for the lack of workers… you’ve even responded to a few of them! Lol

I forgot - maybe you could refresh my memory? TIA.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - tanqtonic - 10-14-2021 07:50 PM

(10-13-2021 03:29 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  Food delivery, Uber, lawn care, odd jobs, construction, anything a lot of people do for cash without reporting the cash income. Not saying it is new stuff that suddenly appeared in the last year. Just that somebody making more than $15/hour between a cash job + givernment benefits may not in a hurry to take a $15/hour job. The loss of regular jobs due to the pandemic forced people to accommodate, and for some, maybe those accommodations sound better now than going back to the old ways.

Maybe the best of them is that people have listened to the doom and gloom that 'if you even look at an infected person you will catch it, shrivel up, and die'.

Enough scare mongering will chase even the bravest away.

But, uh, no ---- I am *sure* it is 'childcare' and 'childcare' alone as the biggest baddest reason to keep away from work. I dont think the biggest, baddest reason for the the deepest and most acute labor shortage I have *ever* seen is simply 'childcare'.

And got to tell you, organized labor has done a bang up job keeping *their* people paid *and* not working.

As an example --- I have to get some warranty work done on my tractor. What should be a 40 min piece of work is now quoted out at needing three weeks. They have the parts. The singular issue is that out of the 6 normal repair personnel in the bays at the John deere dealer, there is one that that is working.

I dont think that the other 5 are empty because of 'childcare' issues.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 10-14-2021 08:00 PM

(10-14-2021 07:50 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(10-13-2021 03:47 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  I'd be surprised if Uber and food delivery apps allow for that sort of non-reporting. All of the payments are electronic and no cash passes between people.

Maybe the best of them is that people have listened to the doom and gloom that 'if you even look at an infected person you will catch it, shrivel up, and die'.

But, uh, no ---- I am *sure* it is 'childcare' and 'childcare' alone as the biggest baddest reason to keep away from work. I dont think the biggest, baddest reason for the the deepest and most acute labor shortage I have *ever* seen is simply 'childcare'.

And got to tell you, organized labor has done a bang up job keeping *their* people paid *and* not working.

As an example --- I have to get some warranty work done on my tractor. What should be a 40 min piece of work is now quoted out at needing three weeks. They have the parts. The singular issue is that out of the 6 normal repair personnel in the bays at the John deere dealer, there is one that that is working.

That's all he has offered. Is it kind of sexist to imply all the workers not taking the $15 jobs are working moms? Sure, there are single dads - I was one - but not many.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 10-14-2021 09:47 PM

transplants

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - RiceLad15 - 10-14-2021 10:22 PM

(10-13-2021 03:47 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  I'd be surprised if Uber and food delivery apps allow for that sort of non-reporting. All of the payments are electronic and no cash passes between people.

I specifically mentioned it could be enhanced unemployment - given the continued depression in labor through Sept, that doesn’t seem to be the case. But I said that perhaps people built up enough backlog to hold out.

I specifically mentioned a reduction in immigration - notably in seasonal workers. We reduced our legal immigration pathways for some very obvious reasons, and we have some sectors that rely heavily on those types of immigrants.

There’s also some people who have changed “careers” - those that used the pandemic to springboard out of menial jobs to something different. That’s why I was wondering if attendance at universities and vocational schools increased - that could help prove/disprove that.

I specifically mentioned both child care (both pre- and in primary school care) and fear of infection, which you mention above.

It’s not a single issue causing this, IMO. For some reason, though, you and OO really don’t like the idea that childcare issues caused by the pandemic have impacted the labor market.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - RiceLad15 - 10-14-2021 10:23 PM

(10-14-2021 08:00 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(10-14-2021 04:59 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Funny, every now and then I actually drive Uber. Have done so since I moved back to Texas. Mainly to get out of the house and clear my head.

That's all he has offered. Is it kind of sexist to imply all the workers not taking the $15 jobs are working moms? Sure, there are single dads - I was one - but not many.

That’s a grosse misrepresentation of what I said, and you know it.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - tanqtonic - 10-14-2021 11:31 PM

(10-14-2021 10:22 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(10-14-2021 04:59 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Funny, every now and then I actually drive Uber. Have done so since I moved back to Texas. Mainly to get out of the house and clear my head.

I specifically mentioned it could be enhanced unemployment - given the continued depression in labor through Sept, that doesn’t seem to be the case. But I said that perhaps people built up enough backlog to hold out.

I specifically mentioned a reduction in immigration - notably in seasonal workers. We reduced our legal immigration pathways for some very obvious reasons, and we have some sectors that rely heavily on those types of immigrants.

There’s also some people who have changed “careers” - those that used the pandemic to springboard out of menial jobs to something different. That’s why I was wondering if attendance at universities and vocational schools increased - that could help prove/disprove that.

I specifically mentioned both child care (both pre- and in primary school care) and fear of infection, which you mention above.

It’s not a single issue causing this, IMO. For some reason, though, you and OO really don’t like the idea that childcare issues caused by the pandemic have impacted the labor market.

Lets take any of the above and apply them to the John Deere 1 out of 6 issue.

"Enhanced unemployment" -- probably not. Ended in Texas two or so months ago.

"reduction in immigration" -- Again, the impact of immigration, legal or otherwise, has zero impact on that shop floor.

'Changed careers' -- not likely.

'Child care' -- not even close.

Now consider this Bill Maher clip on the attitudes fomented by the media:

Again, the thing that is left out in your smorgasbord is the stupid level of angst, horror, and dread that has been drummed up on this.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 10-15-2021 06:04 AM

(10-14-2021 10:22 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  I specifically mentioned it could be enhanced unemployment - given the continued depression in labor through Sept, that doesn’t seem to be the case. But I said that perhaps people built up enough backlog to hold out.

To hold out for what? If they manged to save a month or two of living expenses, and that is what is between them and starvation, why wait?

Judging from reports, we are letting in lots more illegals than a year ago. But the businesses I see hurting the most for workers - fast food - don't rely on illegals most of whom do not speak English.

Certainly there are "some", but I doubt this would be a major contributor to the labor shortage. Even students need jobs to support themselves - it ain't all free yet.

"fear of infection"? We have a national revolt against vaccination and fear of infectiion is a factor? I wonder when GoodOwl and other like him will venture out to take a job?

And child care.

The problem seems to be that workers who lost their $12 jobs are not returning to reclaim those same jobs at $15.

Looking specifically at the local businesses I have mentioned - Target, KFC, Sonic, Panda - the target demographic seems to be young people 16-20, who are unlikely to have small kids who need childcare.

The nationwide shortage of truckers is also unlikely to be fueled by drivers unable to find child care.

And the child care workers themselves are not coming back. Why not? They could bring their kids to work.

I agree though, it is not just one issue, but several. I just think all the ones you list are minor. I think the one you deny at all costs is a reasonable alternative.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - RiceLad15 - 10-15-2021 07:21 AM

(10-14-2021 11:31 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(10-14-2021 05:18 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  what the IRS did with servers was "deem" that their tips were 8% of their tickets. So I often tip in cash after paying for the check with a credit card, hoping to help the worker get a little ahead.

"reduction in immigration" -- Again, the impact of immigration, legal or otherwise, has zero impact on that shop floor.

Again, the thing that is left out in your smorgasbord is the stupid level of angst, horror, and dread that has been drummed up on this.

You think the John Deere issue is related to COVID hysteria? That seems like a really odd take, given that the strike is related to an issue between the union, John Deere, and union members.

I don’t get you right now - I said “fear of infection” in that post as one possible reason, yet you glossed right over it. Did I not embellish it enough and say rightfully or wrongfully? Some people still have complicating circumstances that do make them more susceptible to infection and some are overly paranoid.

I’m currently in NYC - **** is popping and it does not seem to me like people are huddled up in fear. Life very much looks back to normal, just with masks and vaccine checks to help reduce spread.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - RiceLad15 - 10-15-2021 07:24 AM

(10-15-2021 06:04 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(10-14-2021 10:22 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  I specifically mentioned it could be enhanced unemployment - given the continued depression in labor through Sept, that doesn’t seem to be the case. But I said that perhaps people built up enough backlog to hold out.

To hold out for what? If they manged to save a month or two of living expenses, and that is what is between them and starvation, why wait?

Judging from reports, we are letting in lots more illegals than a year ago. But the businesses I see hurting the most for workers - fast food - don't rely on illegals most of whom do not speak English.

Certainly there are "some", but I doubt this would be a major contributor to the labor shortage. Even students need jobs to support themselves - it ain't all free yet.

"fear of infection"? We have a national revolt against vaccination and fear of infectiion is a factor? I wonder when GoodOwl and other like him will venture out to take a job?

And child care.

The problem seems to be that workers who lost their $12 jobs are not returning to reclaim those same jobs at $15.

Looking specifically at the local businesses I have mentioned - Target, KFC, Sonic, Panda - the target demographic seems to be young people 16-20, who are unlikely to have small kids who need childcare.

The nationwide shortage of truckers is also unlikely to be fueled by drivers unable to find child care.

And the child care workers themselves are not coming back. Why not? They could bring their kids to work.

I agree though, it is not just one issue, but several. I just think all the ones you list are minor. I think the one you deny at all costs is a reasonable alternative.

I’m very confused by this post - I offer up a number of very real issues impacting our employment numbers, and all you care to do is offer reasons why you think they aren’t impacting employment numbers.

What is the one issue I deny at all costs? The increase in side hustles where people are working but not reporting their employment status???

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - RiceLad15 - 10-15-2021 07:40 AM

I would recommend reading this report from Deloitte - chock full of good info on the labor issue: https://www2.deloitte.com/xe/en/insights/economy/global-labor-shortage.html

One thing I hadn’t read about yet, but is a good point, is that a lot of labor has moved through the pandemic, which has shifted where labor is needed, especially as suburban workers are staying more suburban.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - tanqtonic - 10-15-2021 07:44 AM

(10-14-2021 06:25 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  

Maybe work on your reading comprehension? (snark gets snark)

Tipping isn’t payment - how many times have your fares been paid in cash? I specifically mentioned that cash tipping does occur. I estimated that maybe 10% of the time is was cash. I’ve got no problem if I’m off on the percentage, but I doubt nearly anyone is paying for their rides in cash.

Well here is your comment, lad:
Quote:Uber and food delivery apps don't typically garner cash tips because everything is done electronically - including tipping.

The first 8 words are incorrect form personal experience.

The phrase 'because *everything* is done electronically is just patently false, lad.

You reiterate that: 'All of the payments are electronic and no cash passes between people.' Again, patently false.

So cut your fing crap about *my* reading comprehension and look at *your* fing explicit words.

Now, when the error is noted, you come back with another lad-redefinition --- 'Tipping isnt payment'. Seriously? When someone hands cash to you at the end of a service, what exactly is it then? Liver? An igloo? Is it a 'penguin'?

lets simply focus on one segment of *your* comments -- "NO cash passes between people." Period. It does. It is called a 'tip'. More specifically a 'tip IN CASH'.

Perhaps *you* work on *your* reading comprehension, or perhaps you put some extra time into actually putting those after the fact dodges and 'clarifications' into your sentences *before* you backfill on them.

And actually, lad, there are times where a fare is paid in cash. This following scenario happens a bit ---

a) rider ride hales, gets a price Z;
b) driver shows up. Rider says -- can you take me to X (the destination) for Y (which is say, 2/3 Y, and quite a bit more than driver will clear).
c) driver says 'Im game'
d) rider then cancels trip on app, pays driver, and off they go. The smart drivers turn off their phone so Uber cant track them and correlate the endpoint with the original end point. Then after the trip drives about 5 miles, and re-enters the Uber pool.
e) the smart riders only do this maybe 10% of the time, and save it for longer, more expensive trips.
f) the dumb riders think that anything and everything must flow through the app at all times.

Or think the following:

a) rider ride hales for place A, gets a price Z;
b) driver shows up. Either at the pickup, or in the middle of the ride, rider changes to place B --- say, 30% past place B.
c) agreement is made to head to B.
d) car goes to A, driver presses 'ended passenger ride'. Rider passes a twenty to driver, driver proceeds to B on a cash basis.
e) only after making it to B does he/she answer hale requests.

Or think a variation of above, where driver picks up two or more people --- say three girls out on the town and one three or four miles closer in than the other two. The variation on the steps above happens all the time in that situation.

So again, in addition to your dance around the tip issue, hard cash at times does get passed in the Uber-driver thing. You simply assume that everything, at all times flows through the app.

Kind of a drastic mistake in that sense. But blame me for your incorrect assumptions why dont you, *and* for your own very clear language on that '[a]ll of the payments are electronic and no cash passes between people.' The words 'all' and 'no' stand out and are false. Those are *your* constructions, lad.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - tanqtonic - 10-15-2021 07:46 AM

(10-15-2021 07:21 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(10-14-2021 06:27 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  I’ve offered multiple opinions for the lack of workers… you’ve even responded to a few of them! Lol

You think the John Deere issue is related to COVID hysteria? That seems like a really odd take, given that the strike is related to an issue between the union, John Deere, and union members.

I don’t get you right now - I said “fear of infection” in that post as one possible reason, yet you glossed right over it. Did I not embellish it enough and say rightfully or wrongfully? Some people still have complicating circumstances that do make them more susceptible to infection and some are overly paranoid.

I’m currently in NYC - **** is popping and it does not seem to me like people are huddled up in fear. Life very much looks back to normal, just with masks and vaccine checks to help reduce spread.

Sorry, at the Gillespie county dealership the issue of no one working in the repair bays is not a union issue, or a strike issue. Maybe you should work on your reading comprehension, as some others have suggested to me.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - RiceLad15 - 10-15-2021 08:06 AM

(10-15-2021 07:46 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(10-15-2021 07:21 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(10-14-2021 07:50 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Maybe the best of them is that people have listened to the doom and gloom that 'if you even look at an infected person you will catch it, shrivel up, and die'.

Sorry, at the Gillespie county dealership the issue of no one working in the repair bays is not a union issue, or a strike issue. Maybe you should work on your reading comprehension, as some others have suggested to me.

Sorry - definitely forgot that you had brought up a personal Deere issue. Less comprehension and more memory, but no complaints there.

But what’s your larger point? That absolutely none of the issues I’ve brought up, that have been written about fairly extensively, are real? Or that I’m missing something explicit in what’s keeping labor rates low?

I feel like I’ve been fairly broad reaching in my thoughts on the various issues with the labor market. I don’t think cash jobs increasing significantly since pre-COVID times is causing a problem. Seems like you and OO may disagree with that, and that there are a lot of Uber drivers going rogue and taking cash payments and not using the app for payment.