CSNbbs
Biden-Harris Administration - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+------ Forum: Kent Rowald Memorial Quad (/forum-660.html)
+------ Thread: Biden-Harris Administration (/thread-911381.html)

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - tanqtonic - 12-23-2020 05:24 PM

(12-23-2020 05:01 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  
(12-23-2020 04:57 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(12-23-2020 04:15 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  There is a subset of Trump supporters (the MAGA-hat wearers if you will) that are eager to lap up everything no matter how questionable that DJT sends their way.

Wonderful use of stereotypes, 93.

You disagree that this subset exists? You should drive out to West Texas and meet some of my relatives.

Probably not as much as your snide smug ass comments try to say they are. But, that doesnt seem to stop your ongoing and continued depiction of them, does it?

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 12-23-2020 05:25 PM

(12-23-2020 05:09 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  
(12-23-2020 05:07 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  The first mention of Nazis and antisemitism was in post 183 from 93.

The first mention was the video that you brought to our attention. Are you gaslighting us, OO???

*edit* Post 182. Here is the caption that accompanied your video:

Quote:The Washington Post is accused of 'anti-Semitic Nazi propaganda' over a political cartoon depicting Republicans as rats; Fox News contributor Joe Concha reacts on 'Fox & Friends.'

I see where you went astray. I had the sound muted and all I saw was the banner saying "WAPO cartoon depicts lawmakers as rats".(NOT the later banner you suggest). I guess the mention of nazis sent your SJW knee jerking.

Still, my intent was clear to anybody he cared to discern: The hate I was talking about was the leftist hate for anybody "with" Trump. Still is what I am talking about.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - Rice93 - 12-23-2020 05:26 PM

(12-23-2020 05:07 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  The first mention of Nazis and antisemitism was in post 183 from 93. I mentioned "hate", and I guess he thinks that is code for racism.

No.

I think there is a class of people who hate conservatives (sorry, 93, I don't know what kinds of hats they wear) and I think those people will have a lot more power to exercise that hate after January 20.

Hate can be be about other things than racism, 93.

Thanks for the lesson, dad, but I'm feeling like you don't even read/watch your morning links. You have acted confused/angry/bewildered that Lad and I have responded to anti-semitism when that is exactly the issue that your link discussed. You don't comment much on your morning links beyond "Look guys... the left sucks" which is why we have to assume that the provided link is what you consider important.

Please go back and look at your own link and see if you can understand why I brought up anti-semitism and Nazi imagery in response to it.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - tanqtonic - 12-23-2020 05:26 PM

(12-23-2020 04:47 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(12-23-2020 04:34 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(12-23-2020 03:49 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(12-23-2020 01:52 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(12-23-2020 12:30 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  See bolded. I wasn't talking about the astronaut comment.

Not butthurt at all - I didn't remember someone saying that, to be honest. But the rest of the comment is exactly the tactic Tanq uses - painting someone's response with the assumption that there is not more to it. Further detail on the thought wasn't provided because I didn't happen to include it, but not because more thought didn't exist.

And are you, at the end, saying that rats are always Nazi imagery? Because that's what it seems like, and I want to be on the same page before I respond.

Not at all. I cannot see why you would have any confusion, but IAC I will repeat for you.

Rats are almost always negative imagery (Ratatouille being an exception, a few others), and the Nazis as well as many other people including that cartoonist used that negative imagery to their own ends. Might as well say it is sailor imagery (rats leaving a sinking ship) or gangster imagery (You dirty rat) or Internal Affairs Cop imagery (Rat Squad) or medieval castle imagery. The imagery is as old as cities, maybe older. The Nazis neither invented or owned it. The cartoonist neither invented or owned it. Both used it to denigrate peoples they didn't like and had an agenda against.

Obviously the cartoonist meant to imply something by using rats - it's whether or not there is reason to believe that use reasonably implied anti-semitism is the question.

But the simple act of denigrating people that political cartoonist don't like or have an agenda against isn't really an act worth discussing. Cartoonist have been doing that for decades, if not centuries.

It's when the cartoonists cross the line into racist tropes that there is a problem. The link you provided sent me to a video, and I haven't watched it. I've seen the cartoon though, and it doesn't seem to be racist off the cuff. Were some of the people presented as rats Jewish? Were they depicted differently than the other rat images?

So dehumanizing and hateful tropes are okey dokey up until they implicate racial features. Sounds like one awesome fun world in the lad household. lmfao.

I’m asking where that line is - obviously there is one. Are all instances of humans being depicted as animals dehumanizing and hateful?

Actually no, you arent asking. You were stating that was the key and important differential above. Now you are on to your next nuanced tap dance move?

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - Rice93 - 12-23-2020 05:28 PM

(12-23-2020 05:25 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(12-23-2020 05:07 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  The first mention of Nazis and antisemitism was in post 183 from 93.

The first mention was the video that you brought to our attention. Are you gaslighting us, OO???

Quote:The Washington Post is accused of 'anti-Semitic Nazi propaganda' over a political cartoon depicting Republicans as rats; Fox News contributor Joe Concha reacts on 'Fox & Friends.'

I see where you went astray. I had the sound muted and all I saw was the banner saying "WAPO cartoon depicts lawmakers as rats".(NOT the later banner you suggest). I guess the mention of nazis sent your SJW knee jerking.

Still, my intent was clear to anybody he cared to discern: The hate I was talking about was the leftist hate for anybody "with" Trump. Still is what I am talking about.

You provided a link to a video that you didn't even bother to listen to? Cool cool.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 12-23-2020 05:28 PM

(12-23-2020 05:01 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  
(12-23-2020 04:57 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(12-23-2020 04:15 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  There is a subset of Trump supporters (the MAGA-hat wearers if you will) that are eager to lap up everything no matter how questionable that DJT sends their way.

Wonderful use of stereotypes, 93.

You disagree that this subset exists? You should drive out to West Texas and meet some of my relatives.

I guess the stereotype of liberals as white-wine drinking rich snobs is equally apropos.

I think the subset of people who follow leaders blindly cover a wide range of political expression. I don't think selling them things or asking for donations is limited to Trump.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 12-23-2020 05:30 PM

(12-23-2020 05:26 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  
(12-23-2020 05:07 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  The first mention of Nazis and antisemitism was in post 183 from 93. I mentioned "hate", and I guess he thinks that is code for racism.

No.

I think there is a class of people who hate conservatives (sorry, 93, I don't know what kinds of hats they wear) and I think those people will have a lot more power to exercise that hate after January 20.

Hate can be be about other things than racism, 93.

Thanks for the lesson, dad, but I'm feeling like you don't even read/watch your morning links. You have acted confused/angry/bewildered that Lad and I have responded to anti-semitism when that is exactly the issue that your link discussed. You don't comment much on your morning links beyond "Look guys... the left sucks" which is why we have to assume that the provided link is what you consider important.

Please go back and look at your own link and see if you can understand why I brought up anti-semitism and Nazi imagery in response to it.

No, no, no, it was NOT exactly what the link discussed - it discussed the hate behind the cartoon, and that hate was not directed at Jews.,

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 12-23-2020 05:30 PM

(12-23-2020 05:28 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  
(12-23-2020 05:25 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

You provided a link to a video that you didn't even bother to listen to? Cool cool.

so much for shaking hands.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 12-23-2020 05:35 PM

I think I have explained MY intents and MY thoughts to the nth degree here, so please stop telling me what I meant and what I think.

I am sorry the FOX guy linked the use of rat imagery to nazi propaganda. Clearly he was wrong, and nazis did not ever depict their targets as rats, and nobody else has ever depicted their targets as rats, and rats are nice animals, loved throughout the world. The cartoon was meant to send out love to the conservatives of the world, no hate intended.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - RiceLad15 - 12-23-2020 05:36 PM

(12-23-2020 05:26 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(12-23-2020 03:49 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(12-23-2020 01:52 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  Not at all. I cannot see why you would have any confusion, but IAC I will repeat for you.

Rats are almost always negative imagery (Ratatouille being an exception, a few others), and the Nazis as well as many other people including that cartoonist used that negative imagery to their own ends. Might as well say it is sailor imagery (rats leaving a sinking ship) or gangster imagery (You dirty rat) or Internal Affairs Cop imagery (Rat Squad) or medieval castle imagery. The imagery is as old as cities, maybe older. The Nazis neither invented or owned it. The cartoonist neither invented or owned it. Both used it to denigrate peoples they didn't like and had an agenda against.

Obviously the cartoonist meant to imply something by using rats - it's whether or not there is reason to believe that use reasonably implied anti-semitism is the question.

But the simple act of denigrating people that political cartoonist don't like or have an agenda against isn't really an act worth discussing. Cartoonist have been doing that for decades, if not centuries.

It's when the cartoonists cross the line into racist tropes that there is a problem. The link you provided sent me to a video, and I haven't watched it. I've seen the cartoon though, and it doesn't seem to be racist off the cuff. Were some of the people presented as rats Jewish? Were they depicted differently than the other rat images?

So dehumanizing and hateful tropes are okey dokey up until they implicate racial features. Sounds like one awesome fun world in the lad household. lmfao.

I’m asking where that line is - obviously there is one. Are all instances of humans being depicted as animals dehumanizing and hateful?

Actually no, you arent asking. You were stating that was the key and important differential above. Now you are on to your next nuanced tap dance move?

Yes, I did not explicitly ask it, but the post clearly focused on that question.

Why do you abhor discrepancy so much? Is everything truly binary in your view? If so, it sounds like calling or depicting anyone as a rat is off limits in Tanq world. Is that correct? Or do you also need to preface when it is OL (aka tap dance)?

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - Rice93 - 12-23-2020 05:47 PM

(12-23-2020 05:35 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  I think I have explained MY intents and MY thoughts to the nth degree here, so please stop telling me what I meant and what I think.

I am sorry the FOX guy linked the use of rat imagery to nazi propaganda. Clearly he was wrong, and nazis did not ever depict their targets as rats, and nobody else has ever depicted their targets as rats, and rats are nice animals, loved throughout the world. The cartoon was meant to send out love to the conservatives of the world, no hate intended.

You provided a link that talked about the unconscionable use of Nazi imagery and you didn't even watch it. When we responded you got pissed that we had somehow not read your mind as to your original intentions.

I understand your position here now. I also understand that your regular morning "the left sucks" links are to be avoided as they aren't important enough for you to review them yourself.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - tanqtonic - 12-23-2020 06:02 PM

(12-23-2020 05:36 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(12-23-2020 05:26 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(12-23-2020 03:49 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  Obviously the cartoonist meant to imply something by using rats - it's whether or not there is reason to believe that use reasonably implied anti-semitism is the question.

Yes, I did not explicitly ask it, but the post clearly focused on that question.

Lets recap:

You: "It's when the cartoonists cross the line into racist tropes that there is a problem."
I dont seemingly see a question there. Funny I guess I mistook an obviously clear question as a demonstrative assertion.

Quote:Why do you abhor discrepancy so much?

'Abhor discrepancy'? Got it. Maybe I just get tired of people claiming they are 'asking' when they are 'stating'. I'll leave it to the 'nuance masters' on that one.

Quote:Is everything truly binary in your view?

Maybe, maybe not. Maybe none of the previous.

Quote: If so, it sounds like calling or depicting anyone as a rat is off limits in Tanq world.

'off limits'? Please note *anywhere* that I support *any* form of censorship of speech. What I get truly irritated with is bull**** and thin based extensions of something to an extreme, like you just pulled above. Amazing that.

Tell me where I 'think depicting anyone as a rat is off limits'? Seriously. You seemingly pulled this out of your ass, now back it up.

I do think that depicting someone (anyone) as a rat is dehumanizing and rather fing grotesque. Some people do that. The Nazis for one. Your favorite cartoonist above for another. I *am* calling it out for what it is, and further I *am* calling it out for its genesis.

They are free to make that comment. And those people that state "It's when the cartoonists cross the line into racist tropes that there is a problem" are free to make that vapid as **** defense of the statement as well.

I would think for one like you that finds racism in literally countless 'dog whistles' might see that link -- apparently not. But, to be honest, I am not really gd surprised on your rather concerted effort not to see it in that fashion.

But you are the lad that seems to think that calling out those similarities, and calling out the rather grotesque nature of the effort as equivalent to 'calling it for it to be off limits'. Amazing that. That rather thin and rhetorical extension seems to be quite the forte over there. Good job.

We *have* determined that unless that same depiction is obviously targeting a discriminated minority, seems pretty fing okey dokey in your world.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - tanqtonic - 12-23-2020 08:47 PM

(12-23-2020 05:26 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  Thanks for the lesson, dad,

Kind of evocative of Course 401 "smug ass snide remarks" course from 93 today. Bravo.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - tanqtonic - 12-23-2020 09:14 PM

The truly amazing thing is that for the last four years, we have been told that Donald Trump is the reason why political discourse has declined to new depths of coarseness, even by some involved in this thread.

So when a cartoon appears that depicts Republicans as rats, the screams of defense in this thread of the properness of that particular political discourse comes from none other than those who have repeatedly and continually sermonized the first sentence.

In fing credible.

Followed by one calling another poster derogatorily 'dad'. Awesome job there......

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - Rice93 - 12-24-2020 02:23 AM

(12-23-2020 09:14 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  The truly amazing thing is that for the last four years, we have been told that Donald Trump is the reason why political discourse has declined to new depths of coarseness, even by some involved in this thread.

So when a cartoon appears that depicts Republicans as rats, the screams of defense in this thread of the properness of that particular political discourse comes from none other than those who have repeatedly and continually sermonized the first sentence.

In fing credible.

Followed by one calling another poster derogatorily 'dad'. Awesome job there......

See my responses above, Tanq. I didn't argue that the cartoon wasn't hateful (in fact, I explicitly said that it was). I didn't defend the content of the cartoon. I said that I didn't find it anti-Semitic. That was what I thought OO was implying based on his posting the link to the video. I don't know why I even respond because, as usual, you will ignore what I said so that you can denigrate what you pretend I said. Par for the course.

In terms of my derogatory use of "dad"... it was after OO sermonized (nice word) to me the fact that one can draw an distinction between hate and racism. This is after his posting of a video that decried the use of Nazi imagery and subsequently his going crazy on us for discussing whether or not the cartoon used Nazi imagery. If I had to do it over I would have not been uncivil with him but it was a pretty annoying discussion TBH.

It's quite something that the most uncivil poster (by far) on this forum is the first lose it on us the moment that we dip our toes into the pool of incivility.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - RiceLad15 - 12-24-2020 08:02 AM

Wondering what everyone thinks of the recent pardons by Trump.

WSJ reports that 60 of the 65 pardons were connected to Trump or his campaign.

As Ben Sasse said - this is rotten to the core. Agree or disagree? Does this presidential power need reforming? Do we think Biden will use it in a similar manner?

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - tanqtonic - 12-24-2020 09:30 AM

(12-24-2020 02:23 AM)Rice93 Wrote:  
(12-23-2020 09:14 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  The truly amazing thing is that for the last four years, we have been told that Donald Trump is the reason why political discourse has declined to new depths of coarseness, even by some involved in this thread.

In fing credible.

See my responses above, Tanq. I didn't argue that the cartoon wasn't hateful (in fact, I explicitly said that it was). I didn't defend the content of the cartoon. I said that I didn't find it anti-Semitic. That was what I thought OO was implying based on his posting the link to the video. I don't know why I even respond because, as usual, you will ignore what I said so that you can denigrate what you pretend I said. Par for the course.

In terms of my derogatory use of "dad"... it was after OO sermonized (nice word) to me the fact that one can draw an distinction between hate and racism. This is after his posting of a video that decried the use of Nazi imagery and subsequently his going crazy on us for discussing whether or not the cartoon used Nazi imagery. If I had to do it over I would have not been uncivil with him but it was a pretty annoying discussion TBH.

It's quite something that the most uncivil poster (by far) on this forum is the first lose it on us the moment that we dip our toes into the pool of incivility.

If you denote the cite of mine in your re-post above as 'los[ing] it' you have an incredibly thin skin, my friend.

But I assume from the tone you set out above, that *anything* I say on the subject would probably set your teeth gnashing, no matter what tone, and no matter how on point the comment might be.

And, perhaps if you do not make the not so subtle snide comments (which you have done for literally years) about the brainpower and ignorance of those whom politically support one whom you do not agree with politically, then perhaps the comments about those comments wouldnt come your way. Just some food for thought there 93.

I am sure that all of these comments in this reply (including this one) are in your view 'uncivil', but I hardly doubt that they are fairly on point. Ces les vie.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - tanqtonic - 12-24-2020 09:44 AM

(12-24-2020 02:23 AM)Rice93 Wrote:  I didn't defend the content of the cartoon. I said that I didn't find it anti-Semitic. That was what I thought OO was implying based on his posting the link to the video. I don't know why I even respond because, as usual, you will ignore what I said so that you can denigrate what you pretend I said. Par for the course.

So you slam me (preemptively, mind you) for 'ignor[ing] what [you] sa[y in your post above]'.

In the post above you said '[you] thought OO was implying [an anti-Semitic] message', yet one can look at OO's posts following the original where he explicitly points out that that is not the message.

I suggest when you preemptively slam me for ignoring your statement, you first look at whom as ignored whom in the chain, my friend. Your a priori attack on me for 'ignoring your comments' is somewhat rich when there seems to be a certain amount of stuff from OO that you, well, ..... to be diplomatic..... 'skipped over' yourself.

Even an uncivil lout as myself can remember at least a couple of times where OO explicitly stated that the point was not anti-Semitism. Nor has this uncivil lout made that point.

The Nazis *did* use the same, exact message in *their* anti-Semitic campaign; but you all seemingly jumped the shark when the word Nazi was invoked and went into a rote repetition of how OO was saying the message was anti-Semitic even when he explicitly said otherwise. Not my problem that you all jumped that shark, and not my problem that you still apparently misconstrue the original point made by OO. Whatever.

Back to my coffee, and back to hauling hay bales.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 12-24-2020 10:46 AM

Good morning, everyone. I'm baaaaack.

Before I review all the posts since I had to leave, some points on which we appear to agree and some points of clarification:

- The cartoon was was an act of hate,, not love. Anyone who thinks it was an act of love needs to explain why.

- I did not listen to the clip all the way through, but I did hear the part where the commentator uses the word "Nazi". It just did not register on my consciousness because I guess I am not supersensitive to the word except when someone calls me one. What registered on me was the hate toward Trumpsters from a leading hate-trump rag. That is why I posted it as More Hate from the Left. I am afraid that we are about to descend into a festival of retribution (for what?) and revenge (for what?).

- somebody asked me if I knew the difference between lad and 93. I must confess, I do not. I can tell posts from Numbers, Tanq, George, and Ham by content and style, but for 93/Lad I have to look at the handle.

- yes, I am familiar with political cartooning. I have enjoyed them fr many decades. They have an old and honored history, being, for example, the source for the GOP pachyderm and the Democratic jack ass. But it should be remembered, such cartoons always convey an opinion, and that opinion in this case was that Trump supporters were rats.

- Likening people to animals is also very old - strong as an ox, sly as a fox,, etc. Some animal images can be complimentary. In my college days I answered to "Bear" and was proud of that name. I doubt I would have felt the same about "Rat".
"Moose" maybe would have been more in the middle.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 12-24-2020 10:59 AM

(12-24-2020 02:23 AM)Rice93 Wrote:  It's quite something that the most uncivil poster (by far) on this forum is the first lose it on us the moment that we dip our toes into the pool of incivility.

Me? And to think somebody(you or him?) called me a snowflake. I didn't realize you were so sensitive. I have been trying to be more civil. But this thread shows that civility is not reciprocated...son. So maybe it is time to rethink the civility.