CSNbbs
Biden-Harris Administration - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+------ Forum: Kent Rowald Memorial Quad (/forum-660.html)
+------ Thread: Biden-Harris Administration (/thread-911381.html)

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 08-30-2021 10:09 AM

US struggles

Beyond Americans, estimates from the government and private groups working on the evacuations suggest the number of Afghans seeking refuge is in the tens of thousands.

“I continue to hear in real time first hand stories of people turned away by uniformed U.S. personnel even though they are on every list. And while new ways of getting people onto the base have begun to prove viable, it’s still extremely hard to get vulnerable Afghans in, and once there, conditions on the airfield are horrible,” said Rep. Tom Malinowski (D., N.J.).

“Unless we execute within a day or two, it’s not going to end well,” the U.S. official said, adding that the Taliban are currently screening documents on behalf of the U.S. outside the Kabul airport, and there is concern that the group may raise objections when it comes time to evacuate locally employed Afghan staff in larger numbers.

The Taliban is screening documents ON BEHALF OF THE US?

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - RiceLad15 - 08-30-2021 10:18 AM

(08-30-2021 09:44 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(08-30-2021 09:19 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  because the only way Biden would have been able to execute a "negotiated withdrawal" is if reneged on the Trump negotiations and then negotiated his own withdrawal...

I wish he had. He negated every other Trump action I can think of, but this one he not only ratified, but despite having half a year to do things right, he did them worse...much worse. The result is the most shameful event since ...forever.

I know you expect me to defend everything Trump did or said and attack everything Biden does or says. That is your mindset. But I did not like Trump negotiating with the Taliban. Nor do I like the idea of any President leaving Afghanistan without it being stable. I don't like the idea of releasing 5,000 prisoners, but that action did not result in American or allied deaths.

This is the most shameful incident I can think of. Lad says it is not, but refuses to offer up an alternative, or any reasoning behind his choice. It's almost as if he cannot stand his guy being dissed. But all this is opinion. Said so at the onset. Shouldn't need to, but I have dealt with Lad before, so I thought I would just skip the part where he asks for links to articles from left wing sources(NOT Fox). I did not get this opinion from anybody else. I formed it watching the news on multiple outlets and analyzing my feelings about it.

another day has dawned, and we are a day closer to Biden's self-imposed deadline, now imposed by the Taliban. We are a day closer to massacres in Afghanistan, watched serenely from the White House while Biden says it was all anticipated and in any case, not his fault. What a leader. The buck stops over there.

Despite the turmoil, death, and betrayals, some people will happy to watch the last troops load just hours before the Taliban's deadline. Biden and the Taliban, and ISIS-K and other Islamic terrorist organizations will be among them. I won't. Not sure about lad.

Yet I cannot think we would be any better off if he was 25ed. Harris has a big smile, but no substance.

What a fine mess you have gotten us into, DNC.

Can't stand his guy being dissed, but types this...

" Again, plenty of blame to be laid on Biden's shoulders for how sloppy, disorganized, and poorly executed the withdrawal has been. Or heck, even how his assessments of the situation were so far off."

edit: and seriously, this is not a mess of the DNC's making if you're talking about all of the issues surrounding a permanent withdrawal. That blame gets laid on the shoulders of W (started the war), Trump (started the withdrawal process), and Biden (executed the withdrawal process).

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 08-30-2021 10:26 AM

(08-30-2021 10:18 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(08-30-2021 09:19 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  because the only way Biden would have been able to execute a "negotiated withdrawal" is if reneged on the Trump negotiations and then negotiated his own withdrawal...

I wish he had. He negated every other Trump action I can think of, but this one he not only ratified, but despite having half a year to do things right, he did them worse...much worse. The result is the most shameful event since ...forever.

I know you expect me to defend everything Trump did or said and attack everything Biden does or says. That is your mindset. But I did not like Trump negotiating with the Taliban. Nor do I like the idea of any President leaving Afghanistan without it being stable. I don't like the idea of releasing 5,000 prisoners, but that action did not result in American or allied deaths.

This is the most shameful incident I can think of. Lad says it is not, but refuses to offer up an alternative, or any reasoning behind his choice. It's almost as if he cannot stand his guy being dissed. But all this is opinion. Said so at the onset. Shouldn't need to, but I have dealt with Lad before, so I thought I would just skip the part where he asks for links to articles from left wing sources(NOT Fox). I did not get this opinion from anybody else. I formed it watching the news on multiple outlets and analyzing my feelings about it.

another day has dawned, and we are a day closer to Biden's self-imposed deadline, now imposed by the Taliban. We are a day closer to massacres in Afghanistan, watched serenely from the White House while Biden says it was all anticipated and in any case, not his fault. What a leader. The buck stops over there.

Despite the turmoil, death, and betrayals, some people will happy to watch the last troops load just hours before the Taliban's deadline. Biden and the Taliban, and ISIS-K and other Islamic terrorist organizations will be among them. I won't. Not sure about lad.

Yet I cannot think we would be any better off if he was 25ed. Harris has a big smile, but no substance.

" Again, plenty of blame to be laid on Biden's shoulders for how sloppy, disorganized, and poorly executed the withdrawal has been. Or heck, even how his assessments of the situation were so far off."

edit: and seriously, this is not a mess of the DNC's making if you're talking about all of the issues surrounding a permanent withdrawal. That blame gets laid on the shoulders of W (started the war), Trump (started the withdrawal process), and Biden (executed the withdrawal process).

I said what I thought of Trump vis-a-vis the Taliban. I guess you missed it. It's in the second paragraph you quoted.

I am blaming the DNC for giving us unqualified leaders like Biden and Harris.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - tanqtonic - 08-30-2021 10:30 AM

(08-30-2021 09:19 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(08-30-2021 08:10 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(08-30-2021 07:02 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(08-30-2021 12:17 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(08-29-2021 11:08 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  The reason I put Kabul over Saigon is because of who did it.

I put the abandonment of Afghanistan over the loss of Saigon because of the manner in which we were forced to leave - Saigon with enemy forces closing in and refugees under fire, and Kabul, leaving by appointment and with the permission of the enemy.

It's one thing to be forced out by enemies, and quite another to voluntarily abandon your own people.

Lad is entitled to his opinion on the most shameful incident in American history, and I wish I knew what that was. All we know for sure is that he does not think this debacle is number One. We certainly have plenty of things that were shameful, either at the time they happened, like now, or in hindsight, like the years of separate but equal.

Wait, I thought the issue was HOW the withdrawal was being executed in the field, not the fact that we were withdrawing.

You know that the Trump admin set this in motion, right? They negotiated with the Taliban and set a date for which we would withdrawal. And as part of that negotiation, they released some 5,000 Taliban prisoners.

How do you not then lay the blame also at the feet of the Trump admin, given that they planned to "leave by appointment and with the permission of the enemy?"

Perhaps you should dissect the concept of negotiated withdrawal as opposed to those like 'cut and run' before one does the above.

Not even going to tack on 13 dead servicemen in pursuit of a 9/11 photo op.

You post offers a false equivalence because the only way Biden would have been able to execute a "negotiated withdrawal" is if reneged on the Trump negotiations and then negotiated his own withdrawal...

Funny, first Biden sua sponte changed the date.

Second, you dont bother to consider that the Taliban had already tossed the agreement into the shitter.

Aside from those two major points you would be spot on. But, the two major points kind of do it in for your overall issue above.

Quote:It's not like Trump's deal left forces in place - it was to end with the complete withdrawal of forces from Afghanistan. Biden, for better or worse, kept with Trump's agreement, only differing in the speed of the withdrawal of all forces.

Again, Biden did *not* keep with the Trump agreement. He changed numerous items ---- all by himself. But when it came to the same latitude in changing terms to accommodate the safety of US personnel and those who are deeply entwined with the US, funny that he refused to change the terms as he did the date.

Second, considering the Taliban had already and substantively violated the Trump framework, apparently the framework is still sacrosanct to help with the issue. Got it.

My belief is that if the Taliban had violated the agreement in the manner that they did under Trump, Trump may have withdrawn at the end, but he would have absolutely ensured the orderly pullout from there. Biden? Nahhhhh..... his attitude is **** whatever the other side has violated, **** the advice of his military to have sufficient personnel to guarantee a more orderly exit, **** the issue of the original date and change it to a date that ensures a good photo op for 9/11.

The Soviets managed a withdrawal in the mid-80's. Orderly, and at little to no cost to them. But Biden? Biden says 'lets bolt no matter how and no matter what cost'. You know, that is the *same* thing Biden advocated *and* voted to do to South Vietnam.

So, given that we had an agreement to aid S. Vietnam, given your pious backstop of 'its the agreement and Biden honors agreements', one would suspect that Biden would have actually voted *and* been vocal about not stabbing our allies then in the back in light of the Paris Peace Accord. Sundowner was the advocate for doing just the opposite then, mind you. Cut and run in spite of an agreement.

Now interestingly Sundowner is 'cut and run' *using* an agreement -- never mind that *he* already unilaterally changed the terms, and never mind that the agreement had been pretty much pissed on by the Taliban in the interim.

Now, the spineless one has to 'negotiate' with the Taliban to get our own people back safely. And the Taliban is making him suck up to them in the process. Hey, but nowhere near the top of the shameful list. That is HYPERBOLE!!!!!!.

Quote:Maybe you mean a managed withdrawal vs a sloppy one? Again, plenty of blame to be laid on Biden's shoulders for how sloppy, disorganized, and poorly executed the withdrawal has been. Or heck, even how his assessments of the situation were so far off.

To George's point, perhaps it would have been better if he had reneged on the Trump deal and left forces in place.

Happy Meal changed the exit date sua sponte, so quit acting like that is such a big fing deal. In fact, Happy Meal changed the original date to one at the *height* of the fighting season, mind you. I guess that 9/11 photo op associated with the September pullout looks pretty fing stupid now to Happy Meal.

Notwithstanding the 'deal' had already been violated in material fashion by the Taliban itself. Yep, but that 'deal' is sacrosanct in the mind of some.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - georgewebb - 08-30-2021 11:33 AM

(08-30-2021 09:19 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  To George's point, perhaps it would have been better if he had reneged on the Trump deal and left forces in place.

When Obama's vaunted deal with Iran was announced, I immediately thought of this criticism of one of history's most notorious deals:

(08-05-2015 10:21 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  As usual, someone else said it better than I can:
"The terms which the Prime Minister brought back with him could easily have been agreed, I believe, through the ordinary diplomatic channels at any time during the summer. And I will say this, that I believe the Czechs, left to themselves and told they were going to get no help from the Western Powers, would have been able to make better terms than they have got after all this tremendous perturbation; they could hardly have had worse."
-- Winston Churchill, Oct. 5, 1938

Change just two proper nouns and it seemed to apply perfectly to the Iran deal.

It seems to apply equally to Trump's deal with the Taliban.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - tanqtonic - 08-30-2021 01:23 PM

(08-30-2021 10:18 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  

And the mode of withdrawal is what is exceptionally shameful.

Going back to what is a point in history that you probably werent even alive for, but a direct comparison is available. Just simply compare and contrast the Soviet withdrawal from Afghanistan with this.

Leave it to lad to mix and match a cornucopia of things that have the word 'Afghanistan' in them to try and deflect from the withdrawal itself.

The withdrawal, i.e. the handling of it, is disgusting and shameful. Equivalent, if not worse, than that from Saigon.

Leave it to lad to say 'but but but but but --- what about starting Afghanistan' to try and muddy the singular issue of today up.

Fine, lets talk about the start of Afghanistan. I think you were probably 6 or 7 when those events happened. I find zero issue about rooting out Al Quaeda froma friendly host nation, *and* toppling that government who hosted, aided, and abetted them. I take it you find that 'shameful' since you keep trying to obfuscate using that at least in part to do so.

So no..... the **** up really isnt in the 'starting of it' as you try to portray.

Lets turn next to 'starting the withdrawal'. How does that impact the current **** up? Seriously, one superpower effectuated a staged withdrawal from Afghanistan in my lifetime. No reason that the predominant superpower can do so in equivalent fashion. But again, you simply try and obfuscate a compete fk up in the actual act of bugging out with anything else you can. Amazing.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 08-30-2021 02:44 PM

yet another death tax from Biden

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 08-30-2021 02:51 PM

The disappearing VP

It's also been weeks since Harris sat down for a one-on-one interview. There's a reason for that: Her handlers seem to know there's very little upside in having her say anything unscripted on the crisis at the U.S. southern border, where the migrant numbers are at 20-year highs amid a pandemic.

But as things continue to go south for Team Biden, expect the pile-on to officially begin, with Harris inspiring very little confidence from an already disappointed public...once she's actually allowed to speak without a prompter again.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 08-30-2021 02:56 PM

Less than 24 hours now, until Joe gives the keys to the country to the Taliban. What a proud moment that will be!

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - tanqtonic - 08-30-2021 04:45 PM

OBL's chief of security returns to Afghanistan --- ostensibly with Taliban approval.

https://twitter.com/bsarwary/status/1432254182468333568

https://www.longwarjournal.org/archives/2021/08/osama-bin-ladens-security-chief-triumphantly-returns-to-hometown-in-afghanistan.php

To echo Baby Bush right after Katrina --- Helluva job there Brownie.....

Just ten days ago:
Quote:What interest do we have in Afghanistan at this point with al Qaeda gone? We went to Afghanistan for the express purpose of getting rid of al Qaeda in Afghanistan, as well as — as well as getting Osama bin Laden.

Joe "The Buck Stops Here But Trump Made Me Do It" Biden's fk up at another angle.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - tanqtonic - 08-30-2021 04:55 PM

Happy Meal's objective on Aug 18 was to get "everyone" out, including Americans and our Afghan allies and their families.

Quote:"If there's American citizens left, we're gonna stay to get them all out."

A senior State Department official said today that there is still a number of Americans who are in Afghanistan. As the planes carrying the last of our troops went wheels up.

Got it, Happy Meal --- "we're gonna stay to get them all out."

I guess Happy Meal's definition of 'all' is the same gibberish of Clinton's "it depends on what 'is' is".

Heckuva job there Brownie -- kind of apropos this being both Ida and the anniversary of Katrina.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 08-30-2021 05:02 PM

(08-30-2021 04:55 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  Happy Meal's objective on Aug 18 was to get "everyone" out, including Americans and our Afghan allies and their families.

Quote:"If there's American citizens left, we're gonna stay to get them all out."

A senior State Department official said today that there is still a number of Americans who are in Afghanistan. As the planes carrying the last of our troops went wheels up.

Got it, Happy Meal --- "we're gonna stay to get them all out."

I guess Happy Meal's definition of 'all' is the same gibberish of Clinton's "it depends on what 'is' is".

Heckuva job there Brownie -- kind of apropos this being both Ida and the anniversary of Katrina.

Jen Psaki keeps dwelling on, as she says, "some Americans don't want to leave".

I think that, as of the deadline tomorrow, all Americans left anywhere in Afghanistan will automatically be defined by the Biden Administration as "Americans who did not want to leave". Therefore, they will have gotten out all the Americans who wanted to get out.

All other peoples who wanted out - those begging for asylum - will not be counted.

Biden will claim mission accomplished, without using those exact words.

As time passes, we will hear of more and more Americans who wanted out but could not get out, and we will hear of tens of thousands of executions.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 08-30-2021 05:04 PM

Lad, you keep saying that this is not THE most shameful moment for America.

Does it make your top ten?

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - tanqtonic - 08-30-2021 05:51 PM

(08-30-2021 05:04 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  Lad, you keep saying that this is not THE most shameful moment for America.

Im sure it wont. It really cant --- remember -- its HYPERBOLE!!!!!

I do like how lad stuffed his 'whadabout' list with all sorts of items that werent even in his 'time of being', let alone the magic age of cognizance about the real world.

Me? I dont remember '68. There is a very faint recollection of RFK and the train.

Fast forward to '72 and I absolutely remember Wallace being shot. And McGovern. And the bombing of N. Vietnam (family neighbor flew Phantoms and was killed over N. Vietnam.)

I remember in early '74 when a person who trained at Ft Bliss and we were friends of through church was KIA'd as an observer after the Paris Peace Accords.

Distinctly remember watching the choppers coming off the US embassy in Saigon and the pictures of helicopters being ditched. And of hearing the news that a captain in the S. Vietnamese air force that we host familied when he was in the States being executed.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - tanqtonic - 08-30-2021 06:23 PM

From probably the most pre-eminent combat journalist of our time, Michael Yon:

Quote:They knowingly and willingly left Americans at the airport gate within the last few hours. I and others worked hard and personally to get American troops to come to the gate or call their Taliban counterparts to let them in. TALIBAN WERE WILLING TO LET THEM IN.

https://michaelyon.locals.com/post/1012388/taliban-hanging-victim-from-american-black-hawk

https://www.michaelyon-online.com/Michael-Yon/Michael-s-Dispatches/

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - tanqtonic - 08-30-2021 06:29 PM

From elsewhere:

The United States government pulled in 26,000+ troops to guard the US Capitol and 535 legislators from antler-helmet man.

Biden decided to deploy 5,000 troops to protect 15,000 American citizens trapped in Afghanistan against actual terrorists. And remove them from the threat. And, they left some.

Not shameful at all.

Didnt bring up the many thousands of Afghanis the Taliban will execute soon.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - tanqtonic - 08-30-2021 06:38 PM

And true to form -- Biden issues a statement today. In light of his 'I will leave no one behind', Happy Meal passes the buck to the Chiefs of Staff. What a fing tool.

https://twitter.com/AndrewSolender/status/1432461459242500105/photo/1

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 08-30-2021 06:40 PM

(08-30-2021 05:51 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(08-30-2021 05:04 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  Lad, you keep saying that this is not THE most shameful moment for America.

I do like how lad stuffed his 'whadabout' list with all sorts of items that werent even in his 'time of being', let alone the magic age of cognizance about the real world.

Me? I dont remember '68. There is a very faint recollection of RFK and the train.

Fast forward to '72 and I absolutely remember Wallace being shot. And McGovern. And the bombing of N. Vietnam (family neighbor flew Phantoms and was killed over N. Vietnam.)

I remember in early '74 when a person who trained at Ft Bliss and we were friends of through church was KIA'd as an observer after the Paris Peace Accords.

Distinctly remember watching the choppers coming off the US embassy in Saigon and the pictures of helicopters being ditched. And of hearing the news that a captain in the S. Vietnamese air force that we host familied when he was in the States being executed.

I found it odd that Lad brought up getting into Viet Nam. I did live through that era. I registered for the draft my first week at Rice.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - tanqtonic - 08-30-2021 08:00 PM

(08-30-2021 06:40 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(08-30-2021 05:51 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  

I found it odd that Lad brought up getting into Viet Nam. I did live through that era. I registered for the draft my first week at Rice.

I believe he said 'starting' the war Vietnam.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - georgewebb - 08-30-2021 08:04 PM

(08-30-2021 08:00 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  I found it odd that Lad brought up getting into Viet Nam. I did live through that era. I registered for the draft my first week at Rice.

I believe he said 'starting' Vietnam.
[/quote]

To be clear, Lad later clarified that his phrasing was a bit off-the-cuff. We all (including Lad) know that the US didn't actually "start" that conflict.

I've made similar mistakes as well, so I don't think an honest oops in an internet chat is something that warrants lasting condemnation.