CSNbbs
Biden-Harris Administration - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+------ Forum: Kent Rowald Memorial Quad (/forum-660.html)
+------ Thread: Biden-Harris Administration (/thread-911381.html)

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 06-16-2021 08:25 AM

(06-16-2021 08:06 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  I guess is that if your belief system precludes it, one should just ignore those little points.

I think the fact that they depend on those minority votes to be a viable party helps them ignore those points. I see a lot of "this is racist" if it is against blacks, but little of that if it is against whites.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - Hambone10 - 06-16-2021 09:23 AM

(06-15-2021 03:51 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  If one thinks that there are no differences between black people and white people in terms of intellectual performance then I still don't understand why one continues to bring up the possibility that a difference exists. I understand responding with "you may be right" but that's different than bringing it up in the first place.

Maybe he said something different, but nothing you quoted said anything about 'intellectual performance'. Not to mention that 'intellectual performance' is what you do with your intellectual capabilities, and not your intellectual capabilities themselves... and there are physical differences that can lead to choices that can impact your intellectual performance.

Said simply, people who are especially gifted physically DO tend to rely on those physical gifts more than their intellectual ones.... whereas people who are not physically gifted do the opposite. They have the exact same mental capabilities, but they CHOOSE to develop, or not those capabilities more based on other factors. I believe that this is a demonstrable fact. WHat is not demonstrable... the part 'I don't know' is if the genetic differences between the races lead to physical (including things like susceptibility to skin cancer or sickle cell and not just 'taller or faster') differences that result in different choices. We can absolutely say that living in urban settings tends to lead to more participation in sports like basketball... while living in colder climates (which is part of a skin color adaptation) leads to more participation in sports like hockey or skiing. I think we can also say that the differences in the races in 2020 is much less than perhaps in 1820 and certainly 0020 based on increasing integration.... so maybe some of these things are now cultural more than genetic, but they potentially ORIGINALLY came about because of genetics.

Here is the vastly bigger question...

OO is pretty vehemently denying your charge... So, REGARDLESS of what you think he said or thinks, why do you continue to ignore his SPECIFIC denial of your accusation?? This is the real problem. What can he possibly say or do that would convince you that he doesn't believe what you seem to think he believes?? If 'That's not what I believe' isn't enough to convince you that isn't what he believes, what is??

Quote:
(06-15-2021 12:44 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  He pointed out the physical differences and then talked about the possibility that there are other differences (e.g. mental) as well.

Not that you showed me. What you showed me is that he named some specific physical differences and talked about their being the possibility of other differences... which (because he wasn't specific) COULD include mental, hence I'm not saying you're crazy to read it this way... but I didn't see him say that. YOU assumed that. It's also possible that 'mental differences' are things like a tendency towards spatial reasoning or art as opposed to physical sciences... which is a difference, but NOT REMOTELY a 'superior/inferior' judgement which is what you're implying/alluding to.

Quote:[quote]
I agree with this... though thousands of years of evolution has lessened it in most people. This isn't about better or worse as you seem to be concluding, merely about 'different'.... like blue eyed vs brown eyes people... and as you note, nobody wants to look up research that might try and prove or disprove that, risking hitting on something heinous. Similarly, any attempt to even SPECULATE on what those differences could be is wrought with risk...

So this is quite literally one of those situations where you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't... If you even IMPLY that there could be statistically significant (which doesn't mean the same thing as significant) differences in the races beyond the physical, you are immediately labeled as 'racist', even if the difference is an asset.

I never labelled him as a racist. I simply pointed out that he had brought up the possibility of differences in mental capacity on more than one occasion.

First, I didn't say you did. I was speaking in the generic... and pointing out why 'the right' reacts so aggressively to such things... because while I don't think YOU would do this sort of thing, it still happens a whole lot by those who seek to exploit things.

Second, I understand you think you HEARD that. I don't see that he SAID that. Maybe its me and I missed it so I'm not saying I'm right... so please don't feel like you need to prove it to me... I am not judging, just observing... the next line is vastly more important...

Third, He has since repeatedly denied believing what you heard... so why don't you notice that he's disagreed 'on more than one occasion' and much more aggressively i suspect than he ever 'brought up the possibility'??

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - Hambone10 - 06-16-2021 09:38 AM

(06-16-2021 08:20 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  I am also of the opinion that every race-based program is inherently racist. For example, if we passed a law saying whites had to sit in the back of the bus to make up for the decades that blacks had to sit there, I think that would be racist. Any program that says "this race this, that race that" is racist.

This is a fundamental difference between the left and right and I get it...

The left only sees things as racist if the goal is to put people down... and not if they seek to elevate people. What they miss is that the two are just different sides of the same coin.... but more to the more recent point and the difference between 1951 and 2021... ASSUMING that minorities NEED an advantage in 2021 (because they weren't given opportunities) is what Bush referred to as 'the subtle bigotry of reduced expectations'. It is still far too often true that black Americans have been denied opportunities... because even ONE is 'far too often' and we're not nearly at just one... BUT... to ASSUME it in 2021 is racist. It puts them down. It assumes inferiority. THAT IS THEIR DEFINITION OF RACIST. I use Barack Obama or Oprah or Tiger Woods or thousands (millions??) of others as examples of people who would be given preferential treatment in 2021 over 'Bubba Whiteboy' based on race-based programs... and they don't need the assistance. Bubba needs it (or nobody needs it). Change raced-based programs to need-based programs... and they will STILL favor those who have been denied opportunities, which by percentages will still vastly favor minorities who have been historically oppressed.

What I don't understand is why the left clings so hard to 'race' as opposed to 'need'... which IF THEY ARE CORRECT, still accomplishes their goals and MORE IMPORTANTLY TO ME... ELIMINATES the ammunition for racists from the right to recruit/exploit vulnerable whites.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - RiceLad15 - 06-16-2021 09:55 AM

(06-16-2021 08:22 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(06-16-2021 08:11 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(06-16-2021 08:06 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(06-16-2021 07:54 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  disabled dairy farmer sues Biden Administration

“Plaintiff Adam P. Faust owns a dairy farm in Calumet County, near Chilton, in the Northern Division of the Eastern District of Wisconsin. Mr. Faust is a double-amputee. In addition to milking about 70 Holstein cows, Mr. Faust farms 200 acres for feed for his cows. Mr. Faust would be eligible for the loan forgiveness program in Section 1005 of ARPA, except he is white,” a lawsuit filed on his behalf states.

The law firm noted on its website that the Supreme Court has “rejected the interest in remedying societal discrimination because it had no logical stopping point.”

The race-obsessed Biden administration, in its larger mission to root out perceived systemic racism, branded Faust — a man who is by definition disabled — as privileged. As a result, he and other farmers are having to sue, because as his law firm rightly pointed out, the high court of the land has already ruled that reparations for perceived inequality have no stopping point.

I suspect that even Lad93 would agree that this provision of Biden's is racist. But I am not so sure that they would say it was wrong. After all, it follows in the general path of making up for past discrimination that they hold dear.

I have no problem saying it is wrong, and definitely racist.

I dont think he would. Without offense, both he and lad seem to be completely unable to fathom the very real secondary definition of 'racist'.

I guess is that if your belief system precludes it, one should just ignore those little points. Just use that 'magic marker' on it so to speak.

I wonder what they will decided is the now-proper term for making a decision based wholly or partly on race (whatever 'race' is, mind you). Or if that magic-marker simply crosses that issue out as well as the word describing it.

I'd call this a race-based program and not racist. That is much clearer in describing this program (it is based on race) and it doesn't add the additional baggage that using the term "racist" clearly does if someone doesn't believe the program is prejudice against those who do not have access to it.

And is completely race dependent itself, funny that.

If the farmers given an edge are black, it should be 'a race based program'. If the farmers given an edge agree white, it is racist (apparently).

Funny how your own definition fits your conundrum. Is your own attempt to redefine English a 'race based program' or 'racist'?

Godel would be impressed with your logic in this I would surmise. (literally a self-referential (pun intended) joke unto itself, for those unaware of the work of Godel)

If there was historical information indicating that white farmers had been discriminated against unfairly, then it would be an appropriate program.

You're gonna complain that I'm asking you to look at the context of the situation, but the real world rarely binary in the way you often make it out to be.

I do appreciate that you recognize that the program is about giving someone a leg up and not punishing someone else. It's not as if every single farmer has expected this program to support them and then the rug was pulled out like the GI Bill and black veterans.

I can understand why you may disagree with said program, and that you think it isn't equitable. But I don't think it is racist because it is not negatively affecting someone who is ineligible for it - it just isn't providing "an edge" as you say.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - Hambone10 - 06-16-2021 10:07 AM

(06-16-2021 09:55 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  I can understand why you may disagree with said program, and that you think it isn't equitable. But I don't think it is racist because it is not negatively affecting someone who is ineligible for it - it just isn't providing "an edge" as you say.

If it isn't equitable and someone isn't eligible for it based solely on race, how is it not racist??

How is this different from a 'whites only' and 'blacks only' water fountain??

ETA an adjunct to the above... The meme of course from the 1950's is a clean fountain for whites and a decrepit POS fountain for blacks so the insult was obvious.... but what if instead in 2021, you simply had a public fountain (which by their nature are not especially clean) and there were someone of either race who was OCD and they came by and of their own volition and without any malice, meticulously cleaned the fountain they used every day such that the public fountain for THEIR race was decidedly superior to the public fountain for 'the other' race?? That's not what happened in the 50's... but this isn't the 50's... Separate is inherently unequal.... and unequal based on race is racism.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 06-16-2021 10:09 AM

So it is all about getting even. Discrimination in 1951 must be be countered with opposite discriminations in 2021 to make things "fair". The guy in the video wasn't even born in 1951.

Separate but equal is alive and well. Just reversed.

I think when one offers a "leg up" to one but denies it to another because they are the wrong race, that is racist, and no amount of parsing words or outcomes can change that. It was racist in 1951 and it is racist now. But the left thinks the end justifies the means.

It is interesting and enlightening to see just how the left views the world through special lenses that make wrong look like right.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 06-16-2021 10:12 AM

(06-16-2021 10:07 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  
(06-16-2021 09:55 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  I can understand why you may disagree with said program, and that you think it isn't equitable. But I don't think it is racist because it is not negatively affecting someone who is ineligible for it - it just isn't providing "an edge" as you say.

If it isn't equitable and someone isn't eligible for it based solely on race, how is it not racist??

Bingo. The racists in 1951 argued that "colored" were not disadvantaged since they had their own separate but equal water fountains, bathrooms, and waiting rooms.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - Owl 69/70/75 - 06-16-2021 10:15 AM

Racism to me is preferring one race over another on the basis of ... race.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - Hambone10 - 06-16-2021 10:16 AM

(06-16-2021 10:12 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

Bingo. The racists in 1951 argued that "colored" were not disadvantaged since they had their own separate but equal water fountains, bathrooms, and waiting rooms.

See my add above... please

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - Rice93 - 06-16-2021 10:18 AM

(06-16-2021 09:23 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  
(06-15-2021 03:51 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  If one thinks that there are no differences between black people and white people in terms of intellectual performance then I still don't understand why one continues to bring up the possibility that a difference exists. I understand responding with "you may be right" but that's different than bringing it up in the first place.

Maybe he said something different, but nothing you quoted said anything about 'intellectual performance'. Not to mention that 'intellectual performance' is what you do with your intellectual capabilities, and not your intellectual capabilities themselves... and there are physical differences that can lead to choices that can impact your intellectual performance.

Bringing up possible differences between black people and other races when it comes to college admissions seemed to me that intellectual differences were the topic at hand.

Quote:Said simply, people who are especially gifted physically DO tend to rely on those physical gifts more than their intellectual ones.... whereas people who are not physically gifted do the opposite. They have the exact same mental capabilities, but they CHOOSE to develop, or not those capabilities more based on other factors. I believe that this is a demonstrable fact. WHat is not demonstrable... the part 'I don't know' is if the genetic differences between the races lead to physical (including things like susceptibility to skin cancer or sickle cell and not just 'taller or faster') differences that result in different choices. We can absolutely say that living in urban settings tends to lead to more participation in sports like basketball... while living in colder climates (which is part of a skin color adaptation) leads to more participation in sports like hockey or skiing. I think we can also say that the differences in the races in 2020 is much less than perhaps in 1820 and certainly 0020 based on increasing integration.... so maybe some of these things are now cultural more than genetic, but they potentially ORIGINALLY came about because of genetics.

Here is the vastly bigger question...

OO is pretty vehemently denying your charge... So, REGARDLESS of what you think he said or thinks, why do you continue to ignore his SPECIFIC denial of your accusation?? This is the real problem. What can he possibly say or do that would convince you that he doesn't believe what you seem to think he believes?? If 'That's not what I believe' isn't enough to convince you that isn't what he believes, what is??

What charge? That he brought up the possibility of mental differences? I don't think he is vehemently denying that. What exactly do you think he is vehemently denying?

Quote:
Quote:
(06-15-2021 12:44 PM)Rice93 Wrote:  He pointed out the physical differences and then talked about the possibility that there are other differences (e.g. mental) as well.

Not that you showed me. What you showed me is that he named some specific physical differences and talked about their being the possibility of other differences... which (because he wasn't specific) COULD include mental, hence I'm not saying you're crazy to read it this way... but I didn't see him say that. YOU assumed that. It's also possible that 'mental differences' are things like a tendency towards spatial reasoning or art as opposed to physical sciences... which is a difference, but NOT REMOTELY a 'superior/inferior' judgement which is what you're implying/alluding to.

Again... we were talking about admission and performance at elite colleges so...

Quote:I agree with this... though thousands of years of evolution has lessened it in most people. This isn't about better or worse as you seem to be concluding, merely about 'different'.... like blue eyed vs brown eyes people... and as you note, nobody wants to look up research that might try and prove or disprove that, risking hitting on something heinous. Similarly, any attempt to even SPECULATE on what those differences could be is wrought with risk...

So this is quite literally one of those situations where you're damned if you do, and damned if you don't... If you even IMPLY that there could be statistically significant (which doesn't mean the same thing as significant) differences in the races beyond the physical, you are immediately labeled as 'racist', even if the difference is an asset.

I never labelled him as a racist. I simply pointed out that he had brought up the possibility of differences in mental capacity on more than one occasion.

First, I didn't say you did. I was speaking in the generic... and pointing out why 'the right' reacts so aggressively to such things... because while I don't think YOU would do this sort of thing, it still happens a whole lot by those who seek to exploit things.

Second, I understand you think you HEARD that. I don't see that he SAID that. Maybe its me and I missed it so I'm not saying I'm right... so please don't feel like you need to prove it to me... I am not judging, just observing... the next line is vastly more important...

Third, He has since repeatedly denied believing what you heard... so why don't you notice that he's disagreed 'on more than one occasion' and much more aggressively i suspect than he ever 'brought up the possibility'??

Still not sure what he has aggressively disagreed with.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - RiceLad15 - 06-16-2021 10:22 AM

Because I disagree that it isn't equitable (it's making up for past inequities), but I understand why someone could argue it isn't equitable (if they don't believe those inequities existed/exist or shouldn't be addressed). It's also the same way I don't see government contracting set asides for women's owned businesses as sexist.

I explained this to Tanq in that post why I didn't find it racist, hope that helps. Can you explain the negative impact to the white farmer who is not eligible for this extra funding? Is this the only type of aid that this organization provides to farmers?

As to how is a funding mechanism for farmers different than separating public accommodations, I think that's obvious on its face. For starters, this loan forgiveness program is meant to provide relief from past, admitted, injustices (the USDA has publicly admitted it was discriminatory). So there is an immediate justification for having a program focused on black farmers. Let's say the discrimination had been admitted to have happened against disabled farmers - I don't think it would ablest if the USDA had only offered the program to disabled farmers, as they had historically been discriminated against.

Second, this loan forgiveness program is not a public accommodation where it is expected that there should be no distinction on who can use the public accommodation. Loan forgiveness is not an expected program that farmers rely on to get a loan - my understanding is this is basically an immediate and one time action.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 06-16-2021 10:29 AM

(06-16-2021 10:18 AM)Rice93 Wrote:  Bringing up possible differences between black people and other races when it comes to college admissions seemed to me that intellectual differences were the topic at hand.

Again, what do you think the word "possible" means? It means we don't know. And you don't know either.

You say you "know" there is no difference. That sound to me like a Bible thumper saying he "knows there is a heaven. - it is a statement of FAITH.

If you have scientific proof that there is no difference, I would appreciate seeing it.

Quote:Still not sure what he has aggressively disagreed with.

You missed this?

"OK, twisting my words yet again. I never said I thought there were no differences between black people and white people in terms of intellectual performance. I SAID I DON'T KNOW. AND NEITHER DO YOU. You continually misstate my positions, and I begin to suspect it is willful." (post 1990)

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - Owl 69/70/75 - 06-16-2021 10:30 AM

Before you are going to convince me that any sort of systemic racism exists, you need to show me that:

1) Blacks and other POC are significantly worse off in the USA than in other countries, including those run by Blacks and other POC, and
2) Blacks and other POC are significantly worse off in the USA than are whites, for reasons solely attributable to race.

I haven't seen much to prove either, particularly not 1).

I am a fervent opponent of racism in all its forms, but merely calling something racism doesn't make it racism.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 06-16-2021 10:33 AM

Possible....

I think it is possible there is life on other planets. I don't know.

Lots of things that used to be thought of as impossible and settled fact are now common and everyday. Anybody need a ride to the airport?

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - tanqtonic - 06-16-2021 10:34 AM

(06-16-2021 09:55 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(06-16-2021 08:11 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(06-16-2021 08:06 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(06-16-2021 07:54 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  disabled dairy farmer sues Biden Administration

“Plaintiff Adam P. Faust owns a dairy farm in Calumet County, near Chilton, in the Northern Division of the Eastern District of Wisconsin. Mr. Faust is a double-amputee. In addition to milking about 70 Holstein cows, Mr. Faust farms 200 acres for feed for his cows. Mr. Faust would be eligible for the loan forgiveness program in Section 1005 of ARPA, except he is white,” a lawsuit filed on his behalf states.

The law firm noted on its website that the Supreme Court has “rejected the interest in remedying societal discrimination because it had no logical stopping point.”

The race-obsessed Biden administration, in its larger mission to root out perceived systemic racism, branded Faust — a man who is by definition disabled — as privileged. As a result, he and other farmers are having to sue, because as his law firm rightly pointed out, the high court of the land has already ruled that reparations for perceived inequality have no stopping point.

I suspect that even Lad93 would agree that this provision of Biden's is racist. But I am not so sure that they would say it was wrong. After all, it follows in the general path of making up for past discrimination that they hold dear.

I have no problem saying it is wrong, and definitely racist.

I dont think he would. Without offense, both he and lad seem to be completely unable to fathom the very real secondary definition of 'racist'.

I guess is that if your belief system precludes it, one should just ignore those little points. Just use that 'magic marker' on it so to speak.

I wonder what they will decided is the now-proper term for making a decision based wholly or partly on race (whatever 'race' is, mind you). Or if that magic-marker simply crosses that issue out as well as the word describing it.

I'd call this a race-based program and not racist. That is much clearer in describing this program (it is based on race) and it doesn't add the additional baggage that using the term "racist" clearly does if someone doesn't believe the program is prejudice against those who do not have access to it.

If the farmers given an edge are black, it should be 'a race based program'. If the farmers given an edge agree white, it is racist (apparently).

Funny how your own definition fits your conundrum. Is your own attempt to redefine English a 'race based program' or 'racist'?

Godel would be impressed with your logic in this I would surmise. (literally a self-referential (pun intended) joke unto itself, for those unaware of the work of Godel)

If there was historical information indicating that white farmers had been discriminated against unfairly, then it would be an appropriate program.

You're gonna complain that I'm asking you to look at the context of the situation, but the real world rarely binary in the way you often make it out to be.

I do appreciate that you recognize that the program is about giving someone a leg up and not punishing someone else. It's not as if every single farmer has expected this program to support them and then the rug was pulled out like the GI Bill and black veterans.

I can understand why you may disagree with said program, and that you think it isn't equitable.

For all your 'equity and justice' there, the explicit terms of the (race based)(racist) program dodges those.

Seriously, the terms of the program would allow a very middle class (perhaps multi-millionaire) person whom is black/chicano/oppressed de jure relief over a quadraplegic cracker dirt farmer.

How in the hell can you not blanch when you type the above in light of that?

Quote:[quote]
But I don't think it is racist because it is not negatively affecting someone who is ineligible for it - it just isn't providing "an edge" as you say.

Fine, lets switch the terms 'socially disadvantaged people' in the program out for 'whites only'.

Per your own definition, it is not negatively affecting someone who isnt eligible for it. I guess you should be, at worst, agnostic on that change.

Using that line of reasoning above, one can morally (and legally) validate almost any Jim Crow era law out there if you give it a half-second (or less). Please stop with the thin veneer explanations.

And I find it rather hilarious when you complain about a 'binary' world view when, perhaps you arent self aware of it, your explanations are nothing but that. racial discrimination for blacks -- all good, not racist. Racial discrimination for whites -- all bad and racist. Now you add a stupid dimension of 'edge up'.

In that 'nuanced ' point of view where does 'racial discrimination against whites' fall? And yes, perhaps you arent self-aware, that 'giving an edge up' to any one subclass *is* 'providing an edge against' *from* any other subclass aside from that one you promote'.

But yet, it is the racial agnostic mind and proponent that is 'binary'. Rich. Actually, really and seriously gd rich.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - OptimisticOwl - 06-16-2021 10:42 AM

It is becoming obvious to me that arguments based on logic will not work on those whose beliefs are predicated by faith.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - Rice93 - 06-16-2021 10:49 AM

(06-16-2021 10:29 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(06-16-2021 10:18 AM)Rice93 Wrote:  Bringing up possible differences between black people and other races when it comes to college admissions seemed to me that intellectual differences were the topic at hand.

Again, what do you think the word "possible" means? It means we don't know. And you don't know either.

You say you "know" there is no difference. That sound to me like a Bible thumper saying he "knows there is a heaven. - it is a statement of FAITH.

If you have scientific proof that there is no difference, I would appreciate seeing it.

It means that in light of available studies, I will go on my personal experience with closely interacting with black people (which FWIW it seems is quite extensive compared to your own). Based on these experiences I am convinced that there is no intellectual differences between black people and white people that would prevent black people from excelling at elite institutions and from serving as executives.

You act as if you can only form an opinion with 1) rigorous scientific studies or 2) blind faith. You seem to completely discount personal experience. This doesn't make sense to me.

Quote:Still not sure what he has aggressively disagreed with.

You missed this?

"OK, twisting my words yet again. I never said I thought there were no differences between black people and white people in terms of intellectual performance. I SAID I DON'T KNOW. AND NEITHER DO YOU. You continually misstate my positions, and I begin to suspect it is willful." (post 1990)

I still don't know what you are disagreeing with in this sentence. The double negative might be throwing me off. Can you tell me exactly what are you disagreeing with in the above statement?

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - RiceLad15 - 06-16-2021 10:56 AM

(06-16-2021 10:30 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Before you are going to convince me that any sort of systemic racism exists, you need to show me that:

1) Blacks and other POC are significantly worse off in the USA than in other countries, including those run by Blacks and other POC, and
2) Blacks and other POC are significantly worse off in the USA than are whites, for reasons solely attributable to race.

I am a fervent opponent of racism in all its forms, but merely calling something racism doesn't make it racism.

#1 makes absolutely no sense. Let's say the US was the ONLY developed country in the world, but there was literally an apartheid system in place that legally codified racism in a systemic way. But that even then, POCs had a higher standard of living than every other country. That would NOT support the idea that systemic racism doesn't exist.

So #1 is completely thrown out and almost laughable as a piece of evidence that systemic racism doesn't exist.

#2 makes a lot more sense. But there have been numerous posts providing evidence, studies, support for discrimination that POC have dealt with in the US, some of which is systemic. Everything from higher rates of traffic stops for POC relative to whites during the day vs at night, to job applicant response based on names, to incarceration rate discrepancies, to sentencing discrepancies, all the way to stories of home appraisals being affected by the color of the person who met the appraiser.

The responses, almost every time, have been to basically find some way to argue why those studies, or numbers, aren't actual evidence of racism or disparate outcomes, with the often assumption that other factors (like socioeconomic status) weren't controlled for (despite not having read the study). You've seen plenty of evidence in support of #2, but you've chosen to reject it.

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - Rice93 - 06-16-2021 10:57 AM

(06-16-2021 10:30 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Before you are going to convince me that any sort of systemic racism exists, you need to show me that:

What does 1) have to do with anything when it comes to systemic racism in the US?

What are your thoughts to referenced studies about subconscious bias when it comes to hiring practices?

RE: Biden-Harris Administration - RiceLad15 - 06-16-2021 11:02 AM

(06-16-2021 10:34 AM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(06-16-2021 09:55 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(06-16-2021 08:11 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  [quote='tanqtonic' pid='17468611' dateline='1623848761']

I can understand why you may disagree with said program, and that you think it isn't equitable.

For all your 'equity and justice' there, the explicit terms of the (race based)(racist) program dodges those.

Seriously, the terms of the program would allow a very middle class (perhaps multi-millionaire) person whom is black/chicano/oppressed de jure relief over a quadraplegic cracker dirt farmer.

How in the hell can you not blanch when you type the above in light of that?

Quote:
Quote:But I don't think it is racist because it is not negatively affecting someone who is ineligible for it - it just isn't providing "an edge" as you say.

Fine, lets switch the terms 'socially disadvantaged people' in the program out for 'whites only'.

Per your own definition, it is not negatively affecting someone who isnt eligible for it. I guess you should be, at worst, agnostic on that change.

Using that line of reasoning above, one can morally (and legally) validate almost any Jim Crow era law out there if you give it a half-second (or less). Please stop with the thin veneer explanations.

And I find it rather hilarious when you complain about a 'binary' world view when, perhaps you arent self aware of it, your explanations are nothing but that. racial discrimination for blacks -- all good, not racist. Racial discrimination for whites -- all bad and racist. Now you add a stupid dimension of 'edge up'.

In that 'nuanced ' point of view where does 'racial discrimination against whites' fall? And yes, perhaps you arent self-aware, that 'giving an edge up' to any one subclass *is* 'providing an edge against' *from* any other subclass aside from that one you promote'.

But yet, it is the racial agnostic mind and proponent that is 'binary'. Rich. Actually, really and seriously gd rich.

Giving a leg up to someone is only providing an edge against someone if you have a zero sum world view.

If this program was permanent, and allowed black farmers to get loan forgiveness in perpetuity, I'd agree that it would create a situation where decades of black farmers not needing loans could allow them to undercut white farmers and eventually put them out of business. But I don't see that reasonably happening with a one time loan forgiveness when the USDA said it had been systemically discriminating against black farmers for decades!

Do you think the USDA should do nothing to attempt to fix the problems it may have created when it, admittedly, discriminated against black farmers?

BTW, I'm fine with the program being changed, or it being more focused, I just don't have this visceral reaction against it.