CSNbbs
Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-288.html)
+----- Forum: JMU Archives (/forum-1006.html)
+----- Thread: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 (/thread-909885.html)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - olddawg - 07-30-2021 08:24 PM

(07-30-2021 07:33 PM)Purple Wrote:  
(07-30-2021 08:14 AM)JMaddy Wrote:  
(07-29-2021 10:07 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  
(07-29-2021 09:45 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  Seems NDSU is onboard with FBS should an opportunity arise.

https://footballscoop.com/news/could-north-dakota-state-be-the-next-target-of-fbs-expansion

NDSU is on an island in a desolate place. Markets and accessibility and academics do matter. I doubt they are on the radar….they are happy being the huge fish in fcs…. Otherwise, they have moved up or had an invite

Don't tell them, those bozos think they're in the center of the universe...and that Frisco is the greatest vacation spot on Earth. 03-lmfao03-lmfao

If you lived in North Dakota, you would also think that Frisco is a vacation paradise.

What is really fun is Bisonville. I have been a member there for several years. Talk about total abuse, those smelly Bisons can dish it out with the best.... "What are you doing here, a$$hole? GTFO! GFY! GTH! KMA! JMU sucks!"

But, I give as good as I get. I just figure all Canadians have an inferiority complex and a stick up their asses.

I believe the smelly Bisons' reign is over. Don't get me wrong, they will always be an elite FCS team, but nothing more. Stick a fork in the dynasty. It is done!

I lived in Allen TX for 3 years, home of Kyler Murray, - about 10 miles from Frisco. Frisco (and Allen ) are nothing more than Ashburn, Va, but much more affordable.

Problem for me was that it had no tall trees, no hills and infernal heat. Other than that, Frisco and the rest of the north Dallas suburbs are great. Can't imagine the allure, even for people from North Dakota. Heck, we've had either snow, sleet or temps in the 30s for all three of our Championship appearances there. And that was the reason the Cotton Bowl was downgraded for a decade or so (till Jerry World was built). The weather is un-predictable...well, except summer.

Honestly, I wish they'd move the game to the Orlando FC stadium, but apparently no one else is bidding on it.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMU2004 - 07-30-2021 10:42 PM

(07-30-2021 08:24 PM)olddawg Wrote:  
(07-30-2021 07:33 PM)Purple Wrote:  
(07-30-2021 08:14 AM)JMaddy Wrote:  
(07-29-2021 10:07 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  
(07-29-2021 09:45 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  Seems NDSU is onboard with FBS should an opportunity arise.

https://footballscoop.com/news/could-north-dakota-state-be-the-next-target-of-fbs-expansion

NDSU is on an island in a desolate place. Markets and accessibility and academics do matter. I doubt they are on the radar….they are happy being the huge fish in fcs…. Otherwise, they have moved up or had an invite

Don't tell them, those bozos think they're in the center of the universe...and that Frisco is the greatest vacation spot on Earth. 03-lmfao03-lmfao

If you lived in North Dakota, you would also think that Frisco is a vacation paradise.

What is really fun is Bisonville. I have been a member there for several years. Talk about total abuse, those smelly Bisons can dish it out with the best.... "What are you doing here, a$$hole? GTFO! GFY! GTH! KMA! JMU sucks!"

But, I give as good as I get. I just figure all Canadians have an inferiority complex and a stick up their asses.

I believe the smelly Bisons' reign is over. Don't get me wrong, they will always be an elite FCS team, but nothing more. Stick a fork in the dynasty. It is done!

I lived in Allen TX for 3 years, home of Kyler Murray, - about 10 miles from Frisco. Frisco (and Allen ) are nothing more than Ashburn, Va, but much more affordable.

Problem for me was that it had no tall trees, no hills and infernal heat. Other than that, Frisco and the rest of the north Dallas suburbs are great. Can't imagine the allure, even for people from North Dakota. Heck, we've had either snow, sleet or temps in the 30s for all three of our Championship appearances there. And that was the reason the Cotton Bowl was downgraded for a decade or so (till Jerry World was built). The weather is un-predictable...well, except summer.

Honestly, I wish they'd move the game to the Orlando FC stadium, but apparently no one else is bidding on it.

I’ve often said that Frisco is Short Pump without trees. It sucks as a championship venue.

Chattanooga was great. Otherwise, make it somewhere warm with beach access for a January game. North Texas brings nothing at all to the table.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - THUNDERStruck73 - 07-30-2021 10:46 PM

The CCG could easily be held at FAU stadium in Boca Raton. 30,000 capacity in a fantastic tourist location. Boom! Done deal.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMU2004 - 07-30-2021 10:51 PM

(07-30-2021 10:46 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  The CCG could easily be held at FAU stadium in Boca Raton. 30,000 capacity in a fantastic tourist location. Boom! Done deal.

That would be great. Personally, I’ve always thought Charleston and the Citadel would be a great venue.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - olddawg - 07-31-2021 07:05 AM

(07-30-2021 10:51 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  
(07-30-2021 10:46 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  The CCG could easily be held at FAU stadium in Boca Raton. 30,000 capacity in a fantastic tourist location. Boom! Done deal.

That would be great. Personally, I’ve always thought Charleston and the Citadel would be a great venue.

I thought so too...until they shrunk their stadium. The one side looks awesome, but that's all there is. Capacity shrunk from 21k to 11.5k since 2017. The entire stands at the top of the pic are no longer there.
[Image: Aeriel_Johnson_Hagood.jpg]

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - SlyFox - 07-31-2021 08:51 AM

As a Houstonian, I am all in on DFW hate. But You guys are thinking from a Virginian perspective. Frisco has easy access via DFW & Love Field to anywhere in America with a more central location. Bringing up Florida locations is brutal to folks west of the Mississippi.

Yeah, Frisco is suburban sprawl. But it is convenient suburban sprawl with a community that is willing to pony up for the game. Austin's new MLS stadium would be a sweet central venue in a much more desirable location in Texas. But the locals have zero interest in a game that no one outside of two schools involved even notices. And living by Sam, I can tell you that is even a stretch base don the past few months.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMU2004 - 07-31-2021 09:50 AM

(07-31-2021 07:05 AM)olddawg Wrote:  

I thought so too...until they shrunk their stadium. The one side looks awesome, but that's all there is. Capacity shrunk from 21k to 11.5k since 2017. The entire stands at the top of the pic are no longer there.

I had no idea. Why would they do that?

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - TXGiant - 07-31-2021 11:26 AM

(07-31-2021 08:51 AM)SlyFox Wrote:  As a Houstonian, I am all in on DFW hate. But You guys are thinking from a Virginian perspective. Frisco has easy access via DFW & Love Field to anywhere in America with a more central location. Bringing up Florida locations is brutal to folks west of the Mississippi.

Yeah, Frisco is suburban sprawl. But it is convenient suburban sprawl with a community that is willing to pony up for the game. Austin's new MLS stadium would be a sweet central venue in a much more desirable location in Texas. But the locals have zero interest in a game that no one outside of two schools involved even notices. And living by Sam, I can tell you that is even a stretch base don the past few months.

I’ve lived in DFW for a long time, now. I think this is pretty spot on. I travel extensively for business and the appeal of the venue has to be its central location.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - olddawg - 07-31-2021 12:12 PM

(07-31-2021 09:50 AM)JMU2004 Wrote:  
(07-31-2021 07:05 AM)olddawg Wrote:  

I had no idea. Why would they do that?

IIRC, it was deemed unsafe. Plus, a lopsided stadium is the FCS way.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - THUNDERStruck73 - 07-31-2021 12:50 PM

(07-31-2021 08:51 AM)SlyFox Wrote:  As a Houstonian, I am all in on DFW hate. But You guys are thinking from a Virginian perspective. Frisco has easy access via DFW & Love Field to anywhere in America with a more central location. Bringing up Florida locations is brutal to folks west of the Mississippi.

Right, because there are no flights nonstop to FL. Oh, the humanity.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Purplehazed - 07-31-2021 01:39 PM

Have any of you gotten an email 7-31 titled cusareport?

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Purple - 07-31-2021 04:34 PM

(07-31-2021 01:39 PM)Purplehazed Wrote:  Have any of you gotten an email 7-31 titled cusareport?

No. What does it say?

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - DukeQuin - 07-31-2021 05:27 PM

(07-31-2021 12:50 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  

Reactions of this sort feel like they're based on never having had to try to plan travel from the middle or western parts of the country to the eastern part.

Just picking a random week in the fall and searching on Southwest, there are half again as many flights from Denver to Love Field as there are to Fort Lauderdale, and no direct flights to West Palm Beach at all. Flights to Dallas from here in Denver start from $59 one way; it's almost twice as much to fly from here to those Florida airports. Fly in to Orlando, you say? Sure, there are a lot more flights, but right now they're starting at $208 one way. The same is true for flights to Dallas from LA versus flights from LA to Florida, and to either place from Minneapolis (for obvious reasons). Yes, these aren't sale prices, and sure, there are other airlines to search for cheaper tickets on, but if the tickets start cheaper from the east coast, they'll end up cheaper as well.

I don't praise much about how the NCAA treats FCS football, and there might be better venues than the Frisco stadium itself, but not making western fanbases pay more and have longer travel just so eastern fanbases can have a nicer trip to the game is one very positive decision they've made.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - jmufbs - 07-31-2021 08:08 PM

interesting read :

https://cusareport.com/2021/07/31/the-end-is-nigh-or-realignment-talk/

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - herdfan129 - 07-31-2021 08:28 PM

A lot of stuff happening but I stopped by to see how JMU was planning to monitor the situation this go around.

If you don’t move up this go around then I’m guessing it’s FCS 4 Lyfe!

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - THUNDERStruck73 - 08-01-2021 10:13 AM

(07-31-2021 05:27 PM)DukeQuin Wrote:  
(07-31-2021 12:50 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  

Reactions of this sort feel like they're based on never having had to try to plan travel from the middle or western parts of the country to the eastern part.

Just picking a random week in the fall and searching on Southwest, there are half again as many flights from Denver to Love Field as there are to Fort Lauderdale, and no direct flights to West Palm Beach at all. Flights to Dallas from here in Denver start from $59 one way; it's almost twice as much to fly from here to those Florida airports. Fly in to Orlando, you say? Sure, there are a lot more flights, but right now they're starting at $208 one way. The same is true for flights to Dallas from LA versus flights from LA to Florida, and to either place from Minneapolis (for obvious reasons). Yes, these aren't sale prices, and sure, there are other airlines to search for cheaper tickets on, but if the tickets start cheaper from the east coast, they'll end up cheaper as well.

I don't praise much about how the NCAA treats FCS football, and there might be better venues than the Frisco stadium itself, but not making western fanbases pay more and have longer travel just so eastern fanbases can have a nicer trip to the game is one very positive decision they've made.
I fl out west nearl every year. As to your example, I have found three nonstop round trip flights from DFW to FLL for around $227. You wouldn’t fly into west palm anyway. Not at all hard to plan.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - PGJMU2 - 08-01-2021 11:12 AM

(07-31-2021 08:08 PM)jmufbs Wrote:  interesting read :

well, based on this, almost certain to be major shake up in the G5 ranks. i agree, if there is going to be a jmu move, this is the window

a couple interesting notes and perception

Charlotte:
Prediction: Leftover conference
Why: Not enough pull politically
Confounding factor: Location, momentum

ODU:
Why: Little political power, weak football program
Confounding factor: Location, recent investment, potential

so much for us "being left behind"

this guy is predicting an ACC/B12 mashup and then a CUSA / Sunbelt reorg.

Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - atljmualum - 08-01-2021 11:16 AM

(08-01-2021 11:12 AM)PGJMU2 Wrote:  

well, based on this, almost certain to be major shake up in the G5 ranks. i agree, if there is going to be a jmu move, this is the window

Charlotte:

ODU:

He’s predicting an AAC / B12 mashup, not ACC. I think someone posted an article previously suggesting that the AAC was trying to be the aggressor and go after the B12 leftovers, which sounds fairly consistent with this reporter’s take.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMUDuke25 - 08-01-2021 11:40 AM

(08-01-2021 11:16 AM)atljmualum Wrote:  

Charlotte:

ODU:

He’s predicting an AAC / B12 mashup, not ACC. I think someone posted an article previously suggesting that the AAC was trying to be the aggressor and go after the B12 leftovers, which sounds fairly consistent with this reporter’s take.

Almost certain ESPN is pushing the AAC to take the Big 12 schools instead of vice versa so they can get out of the GOR agreement with Texas and Oklahoma and move them to the SEC immediately

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - bcp_jmu - 08-01-2021 01:05 PM

Charlotte:

ODU:

how does this indicate that JMU will not be left behind?

one good article that doesn't even mention the Dukes...what am i missing here that gives you such confidence?