CSNbbs
Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-288.html)
+----- Forum: JMU Archives (/forum-1006.html)
+----- Thread: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 (/thread-909885.html)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Dukeman3PO - 05-10-2021 04:13 PM

(05-10-2021 03:43 PM)Dukester Wrote:  The three "Newest Conference Rumor" threads have been the waste of so much time & data the last decade. 03-puke

About 10 years ago Jeff said not under this administration (Rose Era) will JMU move up. I think under Alger there is less a chance.

Maybe if we get a new pres.....

Nick Langridge has a much stronger passion for college athletics.

Correction sir, Mr. Rose said this himself. Jeff (assuming you meant Mr. Bourne, that is) gave a 18-24 month timeline for a move to FBS before Mr. Rose's comment shut down that dream.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - NH/JMU Saxkow - 05-10-2021 04:40 PM

(05-10-2021 03:35 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  
(05-10-2021 02:32 PM)orange-to-purple Wrote:  
(05-06-2021 09:32 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  Apparently Hartford is dropping to D3- they just made the NCAA tourney. American East would now be at 9.

If I was a conference czar I wonder if these moves would make sense for all involved

Northeastern to American East as 10th school
Hofstra and Drexel to Maac
Monmouth, Wofford, Furman and Winthrop to the CAA
Maine, Stony Brook, Albany, UNH, URI leave CAA football to form American East football

Just because they're dropping to D-III doesn't mean they can't play in the AE. All it means is they aren't giving athletic scholarships. They can be D-III schools electing to play in D-I, the way Ivy League schools are. It doesn't make sense, for the most part, but they can.

03-phew The Ivy League doesn’t play DIiI. They play DI and just don’t offer athletic scholarships. Not offering scholarships doesn’t make a conference or program DIII.

Yeah...I'm not quite sure what OTP is thinking...

There are only a few exceptions where a school can be in one division and compete in a sport in another. (I know DII schools can compete in DI in ice hockey.) There certainly are no exceptions for the major (football, basketball, etc) sports. (There used to be...but that went away in in the early 90s...which is why the Pioneer League exists.)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - HyperDuke - 05-10-2021 05:38 PM

Hockey, lacrosse and baseball (maybe others?)

But that is NOT what OtoP is claiming.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - DukeQuin - 06-09-2021 11:22 AM

"ESPN and the Big Sky Conference have announced a new multi-year, multi-platform media rights agreement, adding hundreds of Big Sky live events to ESPN’s college sports portfolio. More than 600 Big Sky events in both men’s and women’s sports will stream on ESPN+ and the ESPN App. ESPNU will televise two football games each year, in addition to a regular season men’s basketball game, and the championship games for the Big Sky Men’s and Women’s Basketball Tournaments are slated for ESPN networks."

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2021/06/espn-reaches-multi-year-multi-platform-rights-agreement-with-big-sky-conference/

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Anders - 06-09-2021 11:29 AM

(06-09-2021 11:22 AM)DukeQuin Wrote:  "ESPN and the Big Sky Conference have announced a new multi-year, multi-platform media rights agreement, adding hundreds of Big Sky live events to ESPN’s college sports portfolio. More than 600 Big Sky events in both men’s and women’s sports will stream on ESPN+ and the ESPN App. ESPNU will televise two football games each year, in addition to a regular season men’s basketball game, and the championship games for the Big Sky Men’s and Women’s Basketball Tournaments are slated for ESPN networks."

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2021/06/espn-reaches-multi-year-multi-platform-rights-agreement-with-big-sky-conference/

This gives me so much pain. I don’t care if we’re espn+ exclusive, Flo attracts less eyes than Madizone in my opinion.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMURocks - 06-09-2021 11:34 AM

(06-09-2021 11:22 AM)DukeQuin Wrote:  "ESPN and the Big Sky Conference have announced a new multi-year, multi-platform media rights agreement, adding hundreds of Big Sky live events to ESPN’s college sports portfolio. More than 600 Big Sky events in both men’s and women’s sports will stream on ESPN+ and the ESPN App. ESPNU will televise two football games each year, in addition to a regular season men’s basketball game, and the championship games for the Big Sky Men’s and Women’s Basketball Tournaments are slated for ESPN networks."

Sigh, seems most of the significant FCS conferences have figured this out (SoCon, MVFC, OVC, SLC all on ESPN).

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - bobbyjmu - 06-09-2021 12:44 PM

Man, we get Joey Bag of Donuts and Flo Sports in the CAA. We carry the conference, and don't get out what we put into it. Please, We need an Exit Strategy!

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMU - 06-09-2021 01:02 PM

Despite Joey D's effort to keep the CAA in obscurity with Flo Sports, JMU seems to find its way to ESPN on a pretty regular basis. FLO is dumb.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Yosef Himself - 06-09-2021 03:22 PM

SoCon and ESPN just reupped their deal through 2026 to stream 4200 games on ESPN+

The SoCon also retained their 2nd/3rd tier rights and sold some basketball games to CBSSN. They'll have aroudn a dozen basketball games on ESPN2/U/CBSSN next year. If 2021-2022 is the same, they'll have between 3-6 football games on regional broadcasts too.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - solohawks - 06-09-2021 04:38 PM

Sounds like the excuse they gave for going to FloSports was a bunch of crap

Both the Big Sky and SoCon went with ESPN and have the right to have games on local/regional TV

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Rock House Duke - 06-09-2021 09:47 PM

(06-09-2021 12:44 PM)bobbyjmu Wrote:  Man, we get Joey Bag of Donuts and Flo Sports in the CAA. We carry the conference, and don't get out what we put into it. Please, We need an Exit Strategy!
^^*

This!

We need a better media deal to showcase our teams and student athletes. After this past football season, I am fed up with the northern schools in our conference who are not willing to a commitment to the student athlete experience and thus happy to settle for Flo.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMURocks - 06-09-2021 10:43 PM

(06-09-2021 03:22 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  SoCon and ESPN just reupped their deal through 2026 to stream 4200 games on ESPN+

The SoCon also retained their 2nd/3rd tier rights and sold some basketball games to CBSSN. They'll have aroudn a dozen basketball games on ESPN2/U/CBSSN next year. If 2021-2022 is the same, they'll have between 3-6 football games on regional broadcasts too.

Meanwhile, Joey and his agency/broker comrades convinced the CAA to BUY games on CBSSN with all the Flo money. Wonder if they double dipped and the brokers pocketed money from both CBSSN and the CAA.

This "media deal" Joey worked out just looks worse and worse as time goes by. Total fail on his number one responsibility as commish.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMUNation - 06-09-2021 10:55 PM

I remember the days when this board had the same disdain for Tom Yeager. I guess those posters are eating crow these days. Joey D. is no Tom Yeager. The CAA has suffered a steep decline since he retired.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Dukeman2 - 06-10-2021 07:14 AM

JMU should not be in the CAA

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Rock House Duke - 06-10-2021 07:26 AM

Dennis Dodd tweeted yesterday and wrote an article about expansion of the college football playoff is all but a done deal. With athletic departments searching for revenue the best way to create more TV money is by expanding the college football system and expand the NCAA tournament field. Expanding the CFP will create a chain reaction and start another round of conference realignment because the SEC, B1G, ACC, and Big 12 will want to add quality teams to improve their odds of getting two teams into the field. I expect the Pac-12 to be raided because the conference has really underperformed in the CFP era. The Pac-12 has the smallest media deal of the power conference and with schools searching for more revenue, a few will likely leave for a new conference with better TV rights.

There are talks about giving one of the eight or twelve seeds to a non P5. It this is true then we can have our cake and eat it too by moving up to FBS.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/momentum-rapidly-growing-for-college-football-playoff-expansion-to-eight-or-more-teams/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - bcp_jmu - 06-10-2021 08:00 AM

I have no doubt that JMU could be the highest ranked G5 school in the next few years

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMUsince89 - 06-10-2021 09:30 AM

Why would the NCAA keep FCS ( Championship Series), when they can do the same in FBS. If we stay CAA they may as well brand us Div A1 again..

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - DukeQuin - 06-10-2021 10:30 AM

(06-10-2021 07:26 AM)Rock House Duke Wrote:  Dennis Dodd tweeted yesterday and wrote an article about expansion of the college football playoff is all but a done deal. With athletic departments searching for revenue the best way to create more TV money is by expanding the college football system and expand the NCAA tournament field. Expanding the CFP will create a chain reaction and start another round of conference realignment because the SEC, B1G, ACC, and Big 12 will want to add quality teams to improve their odds of getting two teams into the field. I expect the Pac-12 to be raided because the conference has really underperformed in the CFP era. The Pac-12 has the smallest media deal of the power conference and with schools searching for more revenue, a few will likely leave for a new conference with better TV rights.

There are talks about giving one of the eight or twelve seeds to a non P5. It this is true then we can have our cake and eat it too by moving up to FBS.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/momentum-rapidly-growing-for-college-football-playoff-expansion-to-eight-or-more-teams/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

One of the byproducts of the playoff expansion could be that P5 teams will play fewer G5 games. The argument, which I'm not sure I buy, is that a chance at another in-conference win to get you that much closer to a chance at the field will be more valuable than a better likelihood of a win. The financial payoff to being G5 would be helped by inclusion in the playoff field but hurt by the reduction in payoff games.

The Pac-12 just replaced their President and their media deal is up in 2024. Who would raid them, and for what teams? None of the Pacific coast teams are going to the Big 12; Utah or Colorado might, but are either of those schools big enough deals for the Big 12 to go after? It's hard for me to see the Big 10 or the SEC wanting to expand that far into the west.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMUNation - 06-10-2021 10:31 AM

(06-10-2021 09:30 AM)JMUsince89 Wrote:  Why would the NCAA keep FCS ( Championship Series), when they can do the same in FBS. If we stay CAA they may as well brand us Div A1 again..

There are more small public and private schools in FCS than there are schools like JMU. So many of the schools don’t emphasize athletics like we do. I would like to see those schools drop down to D2. It would open up scheduling and lead to more competitive games for P5 and G5 fans to watch. Some of the schools P5 programs schedule are just ridiculous. We do the same when we schedule Pioneer schools.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMURocks - 06-10-2021 11:38 AM

(06-10-2021 10:31 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  
(06-10-2021 09:30 AM)JMUsince89 Wrote:  Why would the NCAA keep FCS ( Championship Series), when they can do the same in FBS. If we stay CAA they may as well brand us Div A1 again..

There are more small public and private schools in FCS than there are schools like JMU. So many of the schools don’t emphasize athletics like we do. I would like to see those schools drop down to D2. It would open up scheduling and lead to more competitive games for P5 and G5 fans to watch. Some of the schools P5 programs schedule are just ridiculous. We do the same when we schedule Pioneer schools.

That’s true, but the real answer is that JMU needs to move up. Moving the majority of FCS down to D2 just would make the FCS consist of a very small number of schools (10 or less?).

Moving FCS schools to D2 and combining the handful left with G5 doesn’t solve much either. We can’t reshuffle everyone else to end up with the right peers. Really, JMU is already operating like a high level G5, and we are the ones located in the wrong division.