CSNbbs
Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-288.html)
+----- Forum: JMU Archives (/forum-1006.html)
+----- Thread: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 (/thread-909885.html)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Dukeman2 - 01-29-2021 09:53 PM

ODU Football Future OOC Schedules

2021:
@Wake Forest Sept. 4
Hampton Sept. 11
@Liberty Sept. 18
Buffalo Sept. 25

2022:
Virginia Tech Sept. 3
@ECU Sept. 10
@UVA Sept. 17
Liberty Sept. 24

2023:
@ Virginia Tech Sept. 2
Buffalo Sept. 23
@ Liberty Oct. 7

2024:
@South Carolina Aug. 31
ECU Sept. 7
Virginia Tech Sept. 21

2025:
@ Virginia Tech Sept. 13

2026:
@Virginia Tech Sept. 12

2027:
Virginia Tech Sept. 11
@ECU Sept. 18

2028:
@ Virginia Tech Sept. 9

2029:
@ECU Sept. 15
Virginia Tech Sept. 22

2030:
ECU Sept. 14
@Virginia Tech Sept. 21

2031:
Virginia Tech Sept. 6
@ECU Sept. 20

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - olddawg - 01-29-2021 10:55 PM

Good schedules. And as I have harped on earlier, If/When we ever move up, we have ODU/LIB/Char/App to deal with who have ALREADY locked up future regional opponents. We will not be able to schedule like we want to for several years into the future. Never get a second chance to make a 1st impression.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - bcp_jmu - 01-29-2021 11:13 PM

Cmon man..you know it doesnt matter - Liberty played NMSU twice in an early season once...so JMU is doomed and hitched to our D2 travel parters Richmond and NsU

Get ur head on straight!!

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Dukeman2 - 01-30-2021 07:47 AM

What if ODU joins the A10 for basketball and most other sports - with support from VCU, George Mason, Richmond.

And ODU forms a football scheduling alliance including Liberty, Army, UMASS, Conn, Charlotte?

What would JMU do?

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMUNation - 01-30-2021 09:06 AM

Join the Sunbelt with Marshall and play the independents out of conference.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Purplehazed - 01-30-2021 09:40 AM

(01-30-2021 07:47 AM)Dukeman2 Wrote:  What if ODU joins the A10 for basketball and most other sports - with support from VCU, George Mason, Richmond.

And ODU forms a football scheduling alliance including Liberty, Army, UMASS, Conn, Charlotte?

What would JMU do?

It's a fair question not to be dismissed because it came from Dukeman, there is teason to believe ODU is on the move.

JMU Default Responses:
1) No Communication
2) Makes Excuses
3) Lie
4) At all cost, anchor the CAA

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - herdfan129 - 01-30-2021 10:06 AM

(01-30-2021 07:47 AM)Dukeman2 Wrote:  What if ODU joins the A10 for basketball and most other sports - with support from VCU, George Mason, Richmond.

What would JMU do?

Army will NOT be included in any of the scheduling alignments. They have no problem making a schedule. The other teams would most definitely want an alliance.

Even a 4 team scheduling alliance will make things much easier moving forward.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - THUNDERStruck73 - 01-30-2021 01:21 PM

(01-30-2021 10:06 AM)herdfan129 Wrote:  

What would JMU do?

Army will NOT be included in any of the scheduling alignments. They have no problem making a schedule. The other teams would most definitely want an alliance.

Even a 4 team scheduling alliance will make things much easier moving forward.

You beat me to it. Army will have zero interest in an alliance. They are a sought after school by many other night profile fbs schools including P5.

I’d say that JMU should be rooting hard for the ODU/Charlotte rumor to come true which would potentially open up two eastern slots. But CUSA might stay at 12.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - HyperDuke - 01-30-2021 01:38 PM

If the rumor comes to fruition, JMU should be much more interested in FBS Indy than joining a CUSA without ODU and Charlotte.

Edit: for clarity, I’m MUCH more interested in FB games with Marshall than those other two, but not at the expense of joining a league with no other nearby opponents. Conversely, we could stay in the CAA while pursuing FBS Indy. That would be more likely IMO. (And I think our current leaders are DEAD SET AGAINST independent FBS football.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Purplehazed - 01-30-2021 04:14 PM

(01-30-2021 01:38 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  If the rumor comes to fruition, JMU should be much more interested in FBS Indy than joining a CUSA without ODU and Charlotte.

Edit: for clarity, I’m MUCH more interested in FB games with Marshall than those other two, but not at the expense of joining a league with no other nearby opponents. Conversely, we could stay in the CAA while pursuing FBS Indy. That would be more likely IMO. (And I think our current leaders are DEAD SET AGAINST independent FBS football.

I wonder how alum and fans would react to ODU in the A10 with VA program that was good about the CAA at its height plus the other draw programs via opting for FBS independence...cake and eat it too. Great basketball and regional FBS football including VT or UVA at home every year with a ticket to any future regional G5 confetence.

while JMU's DII football schedule is embarrassing and CAA basketball can't touch the A10 period and certainly not for a VA school.

what would it take for fans to cry uncle and say no more donations without some transparency about what JMU is doing to even try to keep up peers.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Purplehazed - 01-30-2021 04:16 PM

...with every VA program that was good about the CAA

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Dukeman2 - 01-30-2021 04:43 PM

Charlotte 49ers Football Schedule for 2021 - two power five including a home power five match-up

• Duke (power 5 at home)
• At Illinois (probably $1.5m payday)
• Marshall at home
• Old Dominion
• Georgia State
• Louisiana Tech
• Rice
• FIU
• Florida Atlantic
• Western KY
• Middle Tenn State
• Gardner Webb

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - THUNDERStruck73 - 01-30-2021 07:33 PM

You could have a scenario in which ODU and Charlotte leave. If CUSA elects not to stay at 12, then invitations are sent to JMU and TXST and UAB moves back to the East where they belong. So CUSA would look like:

JMU
Marshall
Middle Tennessee
Western Kentucky
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
UAB

Southern Miss
LaTech
Rice
North Texas
UTSA
UTEP
TXST

Very attractive for TXST to have 4 other TX schools in their division. Good for JMU in that they are guaranteed CFP money and bowl tie-ins. ODU and Charlotte could be nice OOC games.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMUNation - 01-30-2021 08:26 PM

Charlotte and ODU have start up football programs. Marshall and App are established programs. I doubt Charlotte has much of a fan following today. They sure didn’t the last time we played them. ODU did well with fan attendance when they were winning as an FCS school. I don’t know what their fan following looks like today because I haven’t attended a game in Norfolk since the last time we played them there. Maybe our ODU posters can chime in here.

I am not chomping at the bit to be in a league with Charlotte. Their athletics programs are like Towson to me. Big school in a big city but not much interest in their athletics from alumni and locals.

I would pick App and Marshall over ODU. App and Marshall have a good fan base just like we do. That being said, I would like to be in a league with ODU. They would be a good rival.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - THUNDERStruck73 - 01-30-2021 08:37 PM

ODU and Charlotte will most likely go hand-in-hand with one another and marry each other in Indy football IF they can get into the A-10. They are basketball schools and the A-10 will offer them a better payout than CUSA (admittedly, I didn’t look up the numbers but I can imagine the A-10 being any worse). Plus, the a10 is a better bb league.

If I’m the JMU admin, I’d be on the horn to CUSA in case this comes to fruition. The ideal scenario would be for Boise to go to the AAC, the MWC backfill with UTEP, ODU and CLT leave for the A10, and CUSA adds JMU. Twelve teams, better money, bingo bango bongo... done deal.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMUNation - 01-30-2021 08:52 PM

If ODU goes indy in football to allow themselves to get into the A10, it is a sure sign to me that they are giving up on football just as UMass and UConn did. Charlotte is a terrible program to “partner” with but ODUs leadership has made some pretty bad moves since Selig became AD. Partnering with Charlotte would be another.

I don’t mind being in a conference with Charlotte but I don’t see them as a great conference partner. VCU, Charlotte and ODU have been jumping from conference to conference for three decades now. They are not reliable partners long term. Marshall and App are who JMU should be partnering with for the long term.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - HyperDuke - 01-30-2021 09:31 PM

First things first, I agree. Marshall & App are way better for us than the commuter schools ODU & UNCC. However, devil’s advocate argument against the negative perception of jumping conferences is that they are more actively looking for their best fit and less willing to languish in a bad situation. Do I believe that applies to them? Probably not. But it’s a valid alternative to your narrative.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - NH/JMU Saxkow - 01-30-2021 09:33 PM

If UMass, UConn, ODU, and Charlotte (and maybe Liberty....but ewww) were all independent for football, do people think they would start talking to each other about forming a new I-A football-only conference? (Are there any NCAA rules forbidding that?)

If that were to happen, I would think they would reach out to JMU (and maybe someone like Delaware if they don't want Liberty) about joining to give them a nice core of 6 East Coast teams...

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - THUNDERStruck73 - 01-30-2021 09:38 PM

(01-30-2021 09:33 PM)NH/JMU Saxkow Wrote:  If UMass, UConn, ODU, and Charlotte (and maybe Liberty....but ewww) were all independent for football, do people think they would start talking to each other about forming a new I-A football-only conference? (Are there any NCAA rules forbidding that?)

If that were to happen, I would think they would reach out to JMU (and maybe someone like Delaware if they don't want Liberty) about joining to give them a nice core of 6 East Coast teams...

You have to have 6 (I believe) schools who have played each other for seven years (I’m pretty sure that is the rule). So they would have to be independent and play each other for that period and then petition the ncaa.

And, would JMU really be interested in a conference with UMASS and UCONN.... and then ODU and Charlotte?That is a TERRIBLE FB conference.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0k - JMURocks - 01-30-2021 11:41 PM

(01-30-2021 09:38 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  
(01-30-2021 09:33 PM)NH/JMU Saxkow Wrote:  If UMass, UConn, ODU, and Charlotte (and maybe Liberty....but ewww) were all independent for football, do people think they would start talking to each other about forming a new I-A football-only conference? (Are there any NCAA rules forbidding that?)

You have to have 6 (I believe) schools who have played each other for seven years (I’m pretty sure that is the rule). So they would have to be independent and play each other for that period and then petition the ncaa.

And, would JMU really be interested in a conference with UMASS and UCONN.... and then ODU and Charlotte?That is a TERRIBLE FB conference.

The positives for JMU in this would be:
1) it would allow JMU to become FBS without leaving the CAA for other sports while also playing geographically nearby teams (ie: low startup costs). Less change in travel schedules for our non-football squads. Even more attractive if we could sneak into the A10.

2) These are all teams JMU played on a regular basis in the past in FCS. UMass, UConn, ODU were all Yankee/A10/CAA football teams. Liberty and Charlotte we've played previously. They are nearby teams that we could have some rivalry with again and are familiar names to our fanbase.

3) Ironically, this grouping of teams plus the A10 for other sports (VCU, GMU, Richmond, potentially ODU) would be the closest realistic thing to reconstituting the old CAA the way Mickey Matthews has talked about. If you took this group of teams and eventually made them an A10 FBS football conference even more so. Maybe toss in UD someday also. It would be like the old gang reassembling to a degree and is a geographically rational conference.

My first preference that is "realistic" would be Sunbelt right now for Football. CUSA and Indy are a little bit of a tossup. Understand your POV regarding the current strength of these teams, but there would be upsides for JMU, and its still vastly better than remaining in the CAA to me. Once we transition a lot more doors could open, and there should be some reshuffling by 2025 if not before.