CSNbbs
Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-288.html)
+----- Forum: JMU Archives (/forum-1006.html)
+----- Thread: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 (/thread-909885.html)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Curtisc83 - 12-27-2020 11:21 AM

If the national exposure of LU’s season doesn’t get your administration thinking I don’t know what will. It could very well be a ivory tower type mentality and all those unwashed FBS schools are just silly for caring about sports that much.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Purplehazed - 12-27-2020 02:18 PM

Does fcs still plan to have a spring season?

If G5 conference swaping talk heats up post season and like usual, JMU is not part of the chatter, and like usual, ziltch, zero, nada, zipo from the admin., who will be tje first to say JMU can't talk about it during a season? It's always somthing...

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Curtisc83 - 12-27-2020 03:37 PM

(12-27-2020 02:18 PM)Purplehazed Wrote:  Does fcs still plan to have a spring season?

If G5 conference swaping talk heats up post season and like usual, JMU is not part of the chatter, and like usual, ziltch, zero, nada, zipo from the admin., who will be tje first to say JMU can't talk about it during a season? It's always somthing...

Just a thought but I think the SBC is primed to take a couple programs from the CUSA. The CUSA is weak and has been for awhile, this could be a killing blow if done. Ideally a couple SBC bottom dwellers can be pushed out at the same time. Makes the SBC stronger and keeps FB at 10 members so the CFP money is maximized.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - AssyrianDuke - 12-27-2020 09:39 PM

Would they take teams from the East or the West from CUSA?

Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - jmu-fan-1981 - 12-28-2020 05:25 AM

Sunbelt looking really good right now. What about Troy to the west division and JMU and Liberty/ODU to the east?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Purple - 12-28-2020 07:05 AM

(12-28-2020 05:25 AM)jmu-fan-1981 Wrote:  Sunbelt looking really good right now. What about Troy to the west division and JMU and Liberty/ODU to the east?

ODU perhaps. I believe Liberty is perfectly happy where they are.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - MUsince96 - 12-28-2020 09:52 AM

There would need to be a financial incentive for the Sun Belt to expand and for C-USA teams to leave. More of an incentive than just making a stronger league.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - FBS Dave - 12-28-2020 10:49 AM

Sun Belt and CUSA don’t seem as attractive as independent.

JMU will have a better schedule as Indy and the CAA seems like a good fit for Olympic sports

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMUNation - 12-28-2020 11:59 AM

You never give up FBS Dave. There is a zero percentage chance JMU goes Indy. Why you continue to clutter this board with suggestions of Indy status for JMU is head scratching. Why don’t you get it? There is a greater probability JMU ends up in the So Con for all sports than there is of JMU becoming Indy in football.

There is a real chance CAA football dissolves. The northern schools except UD don’t wish to devote their financial resources to football at the same clip as JMU. The disparity of talent has become so great that these schools wish to take their ball and run home.

I believe there will be a lot of changes that are announced in the next semester nationwide including schools dropping football. Some schools may close altogether. You can be sure that cost cutting will be happening everywhere.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - FBS Dave - 12-28-2020 12:57 PM

(12-28-2020 11:59 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  You never give up FBS Dave. There is a zero percentage chance JMU goes Indy. Why you continue to clutter this board with suggestions of Indy status for JMU is head scratching. Why don’t you get it? There is a greater probability JMU ends up in the So Con for all sports than there is of JMU becoming Indy in football.

There is a real chance CAA football dissolves. The northern schools except UD don’t wish to devote their financial resources to football at the same clip as JMU. The disparity of talent has become so great that these schools wish to take their ball and run home.

I believe there will be a lot of changes that are announced in the next semester nationwide including schools dropping football. Some schools may close altogether. You can be sure that cost cutting will be happening everywhere.

You are welcome to comment on my thread even if you are disagreeable. I’ll allow it.

I only continue to point out the obvious.

JMU spurned G5 invites. The opportunity is obviously better than staying FCS, but the fit isn’t perfect. The conference footprints in the SB or CUSA are not great considering all sports.

Going from FCS to Indy was unproven until Liberty blazed the trail. I think those that are “monitoring” have not caught up to the possibilities that Liberty opened up. With Indy you decide your schedule and you cherry pick the opponents in the SB and CUSA that make sense for JMU, and you aren’t committed to the rest of those conferences that don’t make a great match for JMU. You create a schedule that is heavier P5 plus the most desirable G5 / Indy opponents.

I welcome you to continue posting on my thread. You make a good straight man to reinforce the opportunity of Indy for those that don’t follow closely and are not yet up to speed.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMURocks - 12-28-2020 01:22 PM

(12-28-2020 11:59 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  There is a greater probability JMU ends up in the So Con for all sports than there is of JMU becoming Indy in football.

What if the CAA dissolves or effectively boots us, and the SoCon doesn’t want us either? We pose the same challenges for them with respect to talent disparity, maybe more so than in the CAA.

If we are forced into Indy status, FBS Indy is light years better than FCS Indy would be, trying to piece together schedules with weak opponents still willing to play us. Home and away with only schools like Morgan St might be enough to make me lose interest.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Dukester - 12-28-2020 01:24 PM

(12-28-2020 01:22 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  
(12-28-2020 11:59 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  There is a greater probability JMU ends up in the So Con for all sports than there is of JMU becoming Indy in football.

What if the CAA dissolves or effectively boots us, and the SoCon doesn’t want us either? We pose the same challenges for them with respect to talent disparity, maybe more so than in the CAA.

If we are forced into Indy status, FBS Indy is light years better than FCS Indy would be, trying to piece together schedules with weak opponents still willing to play us. Home and away with only schools like Morgan St might be enough to make me lose interest.

Did I miss something? Is there any chance the CAA would dissolve? I can't see that happening....

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Purplehazed - 12-28-2020 01:27 PM

If CAA football dissolves for the reasons Nation mentions above, IDC.

If the reaction from JMU is another worse fcs conference...I just don't have the words.

I would lose all interest on two levels; spite and genuine lost interest in JMU period.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMURocks - 12-28-2020 01:32 PM

(12-28-2020 01:24 PM)Dukester Wrote:  

Did I miss something? Is there any chance the CAA would dissolve? I can't see that happening....

There have been articles on some growing friction between the CAA members. The schools have some different priorities and the North didn’t appear that eager to play us this spring. There is also rumors that both RU and W&M may go to the Patriot.

The CAA football conference does not look solid right now, and covid could cause a lot of the members to reevaluate if they will have football, and look to reduce travel/costs. It is not unthinkable the North could leave and go back to reforming the A10 football league without us.

Nation may have other info beyond this. I’m just speculating based on the tea leaves and articles published.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - FBS Dave - 12-28-2020 01:35 PM

There is a lot of consternation here focused on the highly unlikely.

It’s highly unlikely the CAA would kick out JMU.
It’s highly unlikely the CAA dissolves.
It’s highly unlikely the AAC (or a P5) offers an invite to a FCS program.

There are real choices to be made for JMU. The reality is a choice to do nothing, go FBS Indy, or reverse position and join a G5.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - AssyrianDuke - 12-28-2020 02:33 PM

It is more likely that the CAA dissolves than JMU goes FBS Independent

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMUNation - 12-28-2020 02:34 PM

(12-28-2020 01:32 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  
(12-28-2020 01:24 PM)Dukester Wrote:  

There have been articles on some growing friction between the CAA members. The schools have some different priorities and the North didn’t appear that eager to play us this spring. There is also rumors that both RU and W&M may go to the Patriot.

The CAA football conference does not look solid right now, and covid could cause a lot of the members to reevaluate if they will have football, and look to reduce travel/costs. It is not unthinkable the North could leave and go back to reforming the A10 football league without us.

Nation may have other info beyond this. I’m just speculating based on the tea leaves and articles published.

Rocks is spot on. I am just reading the tea leaves. Where there is smoke, there is fire. App experienced the same type of treatment from the So Con we are experiencing from the CAA and it helped push them to the Sunbelt. I too question the fit with the So Con but have heard it rumored more than once and by people with no connection to each other.

The one slim hope of JMU going Indy would be if it were the only option left. I have to believe it would be chosen over FCS Indy.

There are no exit fees to be paid for leaving CAA Football. The conference is over weighted with northern schools. There are a multitude of schools to invite to form an exclusively northern conference. My only question is what do Towson and Delaware do? They are CAA for all sports so bailing on JMU, Elon and W&M is a bit tricky unless the new conference is called Am East football and they rejoin the Am East for all sports.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - FBS Dave - 12-28-2020 02:44 PM

(12-28-2020 02:33 PM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  It is more likely that the CAA dissolves than JMU goes FBS Independent

I disagree. The CAA makes sense for most of its members. It should survive. It will be here 10 years from now.

While any move may be less likely under the current president, he likely will not be in place 10 years from now. New leadership will likely consider FBS Indy as an attractive option.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - AssyrianDuke - 12-28-2020 03:27 PM

(12-28-2020 02:44 PM)FBS Dave Wrote:  
(12-28-2020 02:33 PM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  It is more likely that the CAA dissolves than JMU goes FBS Independent

I disagree. The CAA makes sense for most of its members. It should survive. It will be here 10 years from now.

While any move may be less likely under the current president, he likely will not be in place 10 years from now. New leadership will likely consider FBS Indy as an attractive option.

I should have said CAA Football dissolving rather than CAA. I don't think the CAA makes sense for "most of the members." JMU has outgrown it, Northeastern and Hofstra are not fans of the Southern heavy conference, the football only schools are by and large getting more respect than they are providing to the league (Villanova is an exception as is Maine, occasionally), W&M and UR might be better suited in the Patriot (for all sports and football only, respectively), and UNCW is negatively impacted by the CAA's media deals and lack of MBB standing. This doesn't even take into account the North-South split between the football playing schools and to a lesser degree the "full time" schools. The ADs and Presidents have different goals, agendas, and thoughts on the role of athletics in college. This conference is a clusterfudge of ill fitting teams, like picking out the pieces of a suit at a thrift store.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - AssyrianDuke - 12-28-2020 03:32 PM

Also, I don't think Alger will be here in 5 years, let alone 10. The problem is that it will be too late to move by then. We need to be reading the writing on the wall and searching for an exit. I know a number of posters on these boards are hoping this is happening and wish for some nuggets from the Administration showing us that they are trying to figure something out. I sincerely hope they are doing something behind the scenes, but I'm not holding my breath. In 10 years, it will be 20 years from when we should have left this dumpster fire behind us and moved to FBS.