CSNbbs
Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-288.html)
+----- Forum: JMU Archives (/forum-1006.html)
+----- Thread: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 (/thread-909885.html)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - MUsince96 - 12-23-2020 10:54 AM

(12-23-2020 10:26 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(12-22-2020 10:19 PM)MUsince96 Wrote:  
(12-22-2020 09:31 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  
(12-22-2020 09:17 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  MWC will snap up UTEP imo, not NDSU football.

Probably a better domino for JMU actually

Cusa North

ODU
Marshall
JMU
Charlotte
Western Kentucky
Middle Tennessee
Uab

South
Fau
FIU
Southern Miss
La Tech
Rice
North Texas
UTSA

I believe this is the most realistic realignment scenario that involves JMU getting into an FBS conference.

If CUSA loses one member it's going to reveal just how deep the rift between East and West is and might never agree on a replacement.

If we added someone like Texas State or New Mexico State it will show we care more about keeping nice neat divisions over adding a school to strengthen the league.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - mturn017 - 12-23-2020 11:13 AM

(12-23-2020 10:54 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  
(12-22-2020 09:31 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  
(12-22-2020 09:17 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  MWC will snap up UTEP imo, not NDSU football.

Probably a better domino for JMU actually

Cusa North

ODU
Marshall
JMU
Charlotte
Western Kentucky
Middle Tennessee
Uab

South
Fau
FIU
Southern Miss
La Tech
Rice
North Texas
UTSA

I believe this is the most realistic realignment scenario that involves JMU getting into an FBS conference.

If CUSA loses one member it's going to reveal just how deep the rift between East and West is and might never agree on a replacement.

If we added someone like Texas State or New Mexico State it will show we care more about keeping nice neat divisions over adding a school to strengthen the league.

I agree but that's what the west will want but their geography is already tighter and divisions are just for FB anyway. The only problem is who would go west. You'd have to split up WKU & MT which is one of our few true rivalries. Permanent crossover? IDK, it would be a mess. Best scenario is they go strong into TX and take 3, add the dukies and push both MT & WKU west and get the damn basketball tourney out of TX.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - MUsince96 - 12-23-2020 11:24 AM

(12-23-2020 11:13 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(12-22-2020 09:31 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  Probably a better domino for JMU actually

Cusa North

ODU
Marshall
JMU
Charlotte
Western Kentucky
Middle Tennessee
Uab

South
Fau
FIU
Southern Miss
La Tech
Rice
North Texas
UTSA

I agree but that's what the west will want but their geography is already tighter and divisions are just for FB anyway. The only problem is who would go west. You'd have to split up WKU & MT which is one of our few true rivalries. Permanent crossover? IDK, it would be a mess. Best scenario is they go strong into TX and take 3, add the dukies and push both MT & WKU west and get the damn basketball tourney out of TX.

We could go North/South as the JMU poster suggested.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - NJDuke97 - 12-23-2020 11:45 AM

(12-23-2020 11:24 AM)MUsince96 Wrote:  
(12-23-2020 11:13 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  
(12-22-2020 10:19 PM)MUsince96 Wrote:  I believe this is the most realistic realignment scenario that involves JMU getting into an FBS conference.

We could go North/South as the JMU poster suggested.
I know ODU is one voice and not sure how strong their voice is as a relative newcomer and someone who sat out this football season but wasn’t their issue the trips to Florida and Texas and the cost. The north south structure with JMU as a travel partner and two divisions would I believe significantly reduce their costs.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - HMK - 12-23-2020 06:03 PM

(12-20-2020 09:45 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  
(12-20-2020 08:53 PM)Purple Wrote:  
(12-20-2020 08:47 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  
(12-20-2020 08:03 PM)Purple Wrote:  
(12-20-2020 07:27 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  The. Postseason. Isn’t. The. Prize. For. FBS.

Exactly! It is the 12-game regular season against good competition that counts, not a single, non-attended POS bowl game. Why has that been so hard to understand?

Yet there are playoffs and big bowl games that go on into January that put a cap on the season for fans and the masses. The really good G5 season gets kind of lost when it’s all said and done.

Again, the prize isn't a 3-point win against Kent State in the Toilet Bowl. It is packing the house all season long against our true peers, who are not Morehead State and Norfolk State. They are UVA, Tech, ODU, Liberty, Coastal, and Appy, who, unlike us, are FBS.

The bowl does matter and it’s underwhelming and insulting. App State has practically done everything right and look at their bowl opponents. A slightly down year this season and they get an under .500 CUSA team in a bowl? Maybe JMU would have a better chance at a better bowl because we have a more appealing brand than the Apps and Marshall’s and Coastal’s as proven by our relative TV ratings but we’d end up getting hosed too.

Looks like Coastal's president is not happy:
https://sports.yahoo.com/coastal-carolina-president-pens-letter-complaining-about-lack-of-fairness-in-college-footballs-postseason-193402317.html?ncid=facebook_yahoosport_l0w2dc1068w&fbclid=IwAR0M6sdNJugp_C-h4mgcz2JNVqMXx6te8lLkGVbuuzsr9WxxLXaJv1xKiH8

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - bcp_jmu - 12-23-2020 07:19 PM

"Liberty MIGHT not get a bowl - so JMU should never go FBS!"

Liberty getting a bowl against #12 CCU

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Longhorn - 12-23-2020 10:55 PM

(12-23-2020 06:03 PM)HMK Wrote:  
(12-20-2020 09:45 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  
(12-20-2020 08:53 PM)Purple Wrote:  
(12-20-2020 08:47 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  
(12-20-2020 08:03 PM)Purple Wrote:  Exactly! It is the 12-game regular season against good competition that counts, not a single, non-attended POS bowl game. Why has that been so hard to understand?

Yet there are playoffs and big bowl games that go on into January that put a cap on the season for fans and the masses. The really good G5 season gets kind of lost when it’s all said and done.

Again, the prize isn't a 3-point win against Kent State in the Toilet Bowl. It is packing the house all season long against our true peers, who are not Morehead State and Norfolk State. They are UVA, Tech, ODU, Liberty, Coastal, and Appy, who, unlike us, are FBS.

The bowl does matter and it’s underwhelming and insulting. App State has practically done everything right and look at their bowl opponents. A slightly down year this season and they get an under .500 CUSA team in a bowl? Maybe JMU would have a better chance at a better bowl because we have a more appealing brand than the Apps and Marshall’s and Coastal’s as proven by our relative TV ratings but we’d end up getting hosed too.

Looks like Coastal's president is not happy:
https://sports.yahoo.com/coastal-carolina-president-pens-letter-complaining-about-lack-of-fairness-in-college-footballs-postseason-193402317.html?ncid=facebook_yahoosport_l0w2dc1068w&fbclid=IwAR0M6sdNJugp_C-h4mgcz2JNVqMXx6te8lLkGVbuuzsr9WxxLXaJv1xKiH8

P5 schools have as strangle hold on the media and money that flows from
that relationship. Equality of opportunity and fair play will not be changed by an expansion of the FBS playoffs. Expansion of the playoffs will simply mean more P5 teams will be invited.

The only solution will be Congressional action on the Federal level that breaks up the P5 cartel as an illegal enterprise that limits competitive economic fairness. I won’t hold my breath for that to happen.

Happy Holidays everyone! Enjoy the big Bowl Games featuring the regular suspects.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - FBS Dave - 12-23-2020 10:59 PM

CFP should eventually go to 12 teams.

Cincinnati and CCU would be included in this format.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - NJDuke97 - 12-24-2020 07:29 AM

(12-23-2020 07:19 PM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  "Liberty MIGHT not get a bowl - so JMU should never go FBS!"

Liberty getting a bowl against #12 CCU

Do you ever look at the NCAA hoops brackets when there are two mid majors who have had great seasons and the committee who puts the bracket together matches the mid majors up in round 2 (non first four) or round 3? The theory there is hey they did that on purpose instead of matching both up against major schools and giving the mid majors the littler guy two chances to advance further.

The current football system is a lot worse and more limiting for the mid major because in hoops at least that mid major has a chance to keep winning on the court and advancing toward a title. Maybe they even come out of no where and the committee couldn’t have even planned for it like Masons run where they actually had semi home games in DC in the later rounds or VCU coming from the first 4 and winding up in the same final four as Butler or Mason plays Wichita State for a spot in the final four. Football does not present that opportunity for the mid major.

So yes Liberty is playing Coastal who is ranked 12 in a bowl game- they were scheduled to play this regular season. It should be a good game and an interesting game for football fans but it doesn’t mean anything. Liberty would be better off as a program getting a crack at a P5 school.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - NJDuke97 - 12-24-2020 07:42 AM

(12-23-2020 10:59 PM)FBS Dave Wrote:  CFP should eventually go to 12 teams.

How long has the CFP been around and at 4? How many years before was it just 2? How many years have people said it should be expanded? To expect 12 and inclusion for G5 in our lifetime is a real stretch. More likely that the P5 breaks away from the NCAA than that.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Wear Purple - 12-24-2020 08:46 AM

(12-24-2020 07:42 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  

How long has the CFP been around and at 4? How many years before was it just 2? How many years have people said it should be expanded? To expect 12 and inclusion for G5 in our lifetime is a real stretch. More likely that the P5 breaks away from the NCAA than that.

Yep. The P5 isn't inviting any "outsiders" into their playoff country club. It will likely take another decade or two until G5's finally come to grips with this fully. I'm not saying it is right, but I'm saying it is reality. Every year there will be undefeated G5 programs on the outside looking in. Every year there will be upset G5 coaches/presidents/fanbases who claim they deserve a chance...and, every year, the P5's won't lose a second of sleep over any perceived injustices by those who are upset. The P5 has all the power and zero incentive to change the status-quo, while the G5 has next-to-zero leverage to do anything about it. Again, reality.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Dukester - 12-24-2020 09:33 AM

(12-24-2020 08:46 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  

Yep. The P5 isn't inviting any "outsiders" into their playoff country club. It will likely take another decade or two until G5's finally come to grips with this fully. I'm not saying it is right, but I'm saying it is reality. Every year there will be undefeated G5 programs on the outside looking in. Every year there will be upset G5 coaches/presidents/fanbases who claim they deserve a chance...and, every year, the P5's won't lose a second of sleep over any perceived injustices by those who are upset. The P5 has all the power and zero incentive to change the status-quo, while the G5 has next-to-zero leverage to do anything about it. Again, reality.

There has not been a G5 that has been top four since the playoffs. This year BYU and Cinci are 13 & 16. Unless you are one of 4 schools, even if from a power 5 conference, you don't stand much chance of the playoff.

I was one that thought once they got to 4 teams in the playoffs it would expand fairly quickly. I still think a top 16 playoff would make the most sense. The matchups would be awesome for all games.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Hart Foundation - 12-24-2020 11:58 AM

Yep. 16 is the ideal number for football. 4 weekends of do or die games with the intrigue escalating after each round.
Even for FCS currently. When they bumped it to 20 and 24 it took something away from the quality and compact timing.

We need Jimbo Fisher to keep screaming because that helps move the court of public opinion when P5 schools are Also complaining that 4 isn’t enough for a legit playoff.

This is the first year I can remember ESPN talking heads saying 4 is not enough and the field needs to be expanded. These are the guys that are in bed with the P5 yet they are now not afraid to tell the truth. Of course, there are huge financial reasons for TV networks to press for an expanded playoff field.

There is momentum for sure. Just need a few power players to be bold and do what is right. There is a huge pot of gold available that is much larger than the current cartel situation.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Purple - 12-24-2020 11:59 AM

(12-24-2020 09:33 AM)Dukester Wrote:  
(12-24-2020 08:46 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  

There has not been a G5 that has been top four since the playoffs. This year BYU and Cinci are 13 & 16. Unless you are one of 4 schools, even if from a power 5 conference, you don't stand much chance of the playoff.

I was one that thought once they got to 4 teams in the playoffs it would expand fairly quickly. I still think a top 16 playoff would make the most sense. The matchups would be awesome for all games.

I agree. I would like to see 16 teams in the tourney. So many very good teams get left out.

The best G5 team I recall was Utah's 2004 team under Urban Meyer. They were undefeated, destroying every opponent they faced that season, including four P5s (TX A&M, Arizona, UNC, and Pitt), which they handled by an average margin of victory of 24 points. They blew out #19 Pitt in the Fiesta Bowl 35-7.

USC won the mythical national championship that year. If there had been a CFP, Utah may very well have won the whole thing.

2004 was quarterback Alex Smith's last year at Utah, becoming the #1 pick in the NFL draft. Urban Meyer's top 2004 recruit was OL Terrence Apted from American Samoa. Seems like only yesterday.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Purplehazed - 12-24-2020 02:58 PM

When I troll other boards, I see posters listing their best guess for conference changes.

Often JMU is missing.

I want to lash out and jump into the thread but can we blame them?

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - FBS Dave - 12-26-2020 05:52 PM

[Image: 3RvjcS0.png]

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - White Hall - 12-26-2020 06:36 PM

Think most likely scenario will be 8. This way, each P5 and highest G5 gets an auto bid and two at large. The P5 are happy because nobody will get left out, they avoid a lawsuit by throwing a bone to the G5, keep ND happy with 2 at large and get to keep the major bowls involved and happy. Everybody wins.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Hart Foundation - 12-26-2020 10:21 PM

Recently We’ve seen more intriguing questions About JMU’s failure to move to FBS and one of the big cons that has been mentioned over the last decade is the increased travel costs.
Somebody may want to do some digging (DNR).

Total JMU athletics spends more for game expenses and travel than every school in the Sun Belt, the CUSA, the MAC, and all but 3 schools in the Mountain West. And it is a huge discrepancy being more than 2X what some of the FBS schools are spending.
I’ve been led to believe these conferences were far flung and cost prohibitive for game expenses and travel.
The numbers don’t agree. 01-wingedeagle

http://cafidatabase.knightcommission.org/fbs/sunbelt
http://cafidatabase.knightcommission.org/fbs/c-usa
http://cafidatabase.knightcommission.org/fbs/mwc
http://cafidatabase.knightcommission.org/fcs/james-madison-university

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - FBS Dave - 12-26-2020 11:39 PM

(12-26-2020 06:36 PM)White Hall Wrote:  Think most likely scenario will be 8. This way, each P5 and highest G5 gets an auto bid and two at large. The P5 are happy because nobody will get left out, they avoid a lawsuit by throwing a bone to the G5, keep ND happy with 2 at large and get to keep the major bowls involved and happy. Everybody wins.

12 rewards the top 4 ranked teams a bye and a home game. 12 also brings in the undefeated G5’s that deserve a playoff spot.

For the top 4 seeds, 12 teams is the same amount of games as 8 teams in the playoffs.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - GaryMatthews - 12-27-2020 08:19 AM

(12-26-2020 10:21 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Recently We’ve seen more intriguing questions About JMU’s failure to move to FBS and one of the big cons that has been mentioned over the last decade is the increased travel costs.
Somebody may want to do some digging (DNR).

Total JMU athletics spends more for game expenses and travel than every school in the Sun Belt, the CUSA, the MAC, and all but 3 schools in the Mountain West. And it is a huge discrepancy being more than 2X what some of the FBS schools are spending.
I’ve been led to believe these conferences were far flung and cost prohibitive for game expenses and travel.
The numbers don’t agree. 01-wingedeagle

http://cafidatabase.knightcommission.org/fbs/sunbelt
http://cafidatabase.knightcommission.org/fbs/c-usa
http://cafidatabase.knightcommission.org/fbs/mwc
http://cafidatabase.knightcommission.org/fcs/james-madison-university

Could those non-travel related game expenses in that category be the costs of providing amenities at all of our new and expensive facilities? And how much of that number actually is travel?