CSNbbs
Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-288.html)
+----- Forum: JMU Archives (/forum-1006.html)
+----- Thread: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 (/thread-909885.html)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMURocks - 10-27-2021 09:03 AM

(10-27-2021 06:24 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  
(10-26-2021 08:15 PM)jmu98 Wrote:  
(10-26-2021 07:48 PM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  I wonder if he is too raw for broadcasting...think hed be a hoot, and insightful at a desk (jimmy johnson style) or color commentary (john madden)

He has done broadcasting before and was pretty good.

The Mick is retired (supposedly), but it would be great if ESPN would add him to the group of Sunbelt game broadcasters, or better yet, if JMU would add him to the JMU broadcast team as the third man in the booth for FB games as a color analyst. Obviously, there may still be some raw feelings to be overcome to make that happen, but JMU needs to make the first move. Induct Mick into the JMU HOF and extend the olive branch.

This would be well deserved. Maybe a halftime recognition of Mickey and others who helped grow the program on our path to FBS also. Many fans are appreciative of what he did here. BFS might not exist without him.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - CharlestonDuke - 10-27-2021 09:34 AM

What are the chances in 5 years when the AAC big market strategy falls apart, Memphis bolts, and ESPN flips the payouts to pro-SBC, that ECU comes knocking to get in on this baby-SEC conference we’ve created?

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - jmufan2008 - 10-27-2021 09:45 AM

(10-27-2021 09:34 AM)CharlestonDuke Wrote:  What are the chances in 5 years when the AAC big market strategy falls apart, Memphis bolts, and ESPN flips the payouts to pro-SBC, that ECU comes knocking to get in on this baby-SEC conference we’ve created?

I think the second ECU isn't getting their current payout they'll start listening to offers. The AAC is going down the drain as far as football (ECU's real love) and I'm sure they'd love to be in the new SBC, but they wouldn't even consider it as long as they're making a guaranteed extra $5 million above the SBC's payout (or whatever the exact number is). Once ESPN isn't getting an ROI with the AAC and they reduce the deal and the SBC deal increases...I think they'll start calling. Even though they suck right now in football, you know they still want to be in a football-focused conference...they're also in Greenville, which is certainly an outlier in the media-market conference.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - olddawg - 10-27-2021 09:52 AM

(10-27-2021 09:03 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  
(10-26-2021 07:48 PM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  I wonder if he is too raw for broadcasting...think hed be a hoot, and insightful at a desk (jimmy johnson style) or color commentary (john madden)

The Mick is retired (supposedly), but it would be great if ESPN would add him to the group of Sunbelt game broadcasters, or better yet, if JMU would add him to the JMU broadcast team as the third man in the booth for FB games as a color analyst. Obviously, there may still be some raw feelings to be overcome to make that happen, but JMU needs to make the first move. Induct Mick into the JMU HOF and extend the olive branch.

This would be well deserved. Maybe a halftime recognition of Mickey and others who helped grow the program on our path to FBS also. Many fans are appreciative of what he did here. BFS might not exist without him.

I still want a statue for him and Challace.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMURocks - 10-27-2021 09:52 AM

(10-27-2021 09:45 AM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  
(10-27-2021 09:34 AM)CharlestonDuke Wrote:  What are the chances in 5 years when the AAC big market strategy falls apart, Memphis bolts, and ESPN flips the payouts to pro-SBC, that ECU comes knocking to get in on this baby-SEC conference we’ve created?

I think the second ECU isn't getting their current payout they'll start listening to offers. The AAC is going down the drain as far as football (ECU's real love) and I'm sure they'd love to be in the new SBC, but they wouldn't even consider it as long as they're making a guaranteed extra $5 million above the SBC's payout (or whatever the exact number is). Once ESPN isn't getting an ROI with the AAC and they reduce the deal and the SBC deal increases...I think they'll start calling. Even though they suck right now in football, you know they still want to be in a football-focused conference...they're also in Greenville, which is certainly an outlier in the media-market conference.

SBC surrounds ECU now, and many of their fans would love to be in this conference from a competition viewpoint. They do have "golden handcuffs" for a while with their current conference payment.

Also, egos may get in the way, ECU still thinks they are superior to us, and some fans have a P5/Big 12 or bust mentality. Some think they can find a way to move ahead of memphis/usf/smu in the queue to P5.

Worth noting they provided a presentation to the B12 and a mini media about why they were ready during the last B12 expansion rumors. They want B12 membership badly, would go if offered.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMURocks - 10-27-2021 09:55 AM

(10-27-2021 09:52 AM)olddawg Wrote:  

That would be nice. i'd almost be ready to add JB after this deal completes.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - H.U.S.T.L.E. - 10-27-2021 10:28 AM

(10-27-2021 09:52 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  

SBC surrounds ECU now, and many of their fans would love to be in this conference from a competition viewpoint. They do have "golden handcuffs" for a while with their current conference payment.

Also, egos may get in the way, ECU still thinks they are superior to us, and some fans have a P5/Big 12 or bust mentality. Some think they can find a way to move ahead of memphis/usf/smu in the queue to P5.

Worth noting they provided a presentation to the B12 and a mini media about why they were ready during the last B12 expansion rumors. They want B12 membership badly, would go if offered.

To add to all this - if ECU is available down the line, you would imagine that going to 16 is the play and it would likely depend on who is available that's a good fit for the western teams in the Sun Belt. That could always be LA Tech (if old grudges can be bygones), who looks like they may be out in the cold for the foreseeable future... or who knows, maybe that's a Texas school like Sam Houston or someone looking for a life raft if the new AAC doesn't pan out.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - CharlestonDuke - 10-27-2021 10:28 AM

(10-27-2021 09:52 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  

Playing the devil’s advocate, they may choose the FSU or Clemson playbook of avoiding the SEC for an easier path to conference championship rather than the meat grinder that the new SBC east will become.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - DukeQuin - 10-27-2021 10:30 AM

(10-27-2021 09:55 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  
(10-26-2021 08:15 PM)jmu98 Wrote:  He has done broadcasting before and was pretty good.

That would be nice. i'd almost be ready to add JB after this deal completes.

What, if anything, do other schools do that we could incorporate ideas from? I remember there being that "history wall" behind the new side, but I had attended games for a season before seeing it; we had upper deck seats, we could go directly to them, and the only reason I found that area was because we were looking for other food options. It would be nice if we could do something that emphasized program history a bit more.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - All Dukes_All Day - 10-27-2021 10:58 AM

I have to imagine the SBC will eventually split and a new conference for the east will add the likes of ECU, Temple and maybe Uconn/Umass if either is still interested in playing football.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - 8993 - 10-27-2021 11:15 AM

ODU to the SBC is official.

https://twitter.com/sunbelt/status/1453391448909488132?s=21

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - bcp_jmu - 10-27-2021 11:22 AM

And Ron - lawnchairs for all

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - ParentofJMUMRDs - 10-27-2021 11:24 AM

Have always thought that we need a statue of Dean Ehlers and President Carrier sitting in the two lawn chairs at the first game at the Plecker Center end of the field near the bushes.

Brian

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - bcp_jmu - 10-27-2021 11:25 AM

(10-27-2021 10:58 AM)All Dukes_All Day Wrote:  

I have to imagine the SBC will eventually split and a new conference for the east will add the likes of ECU, Temple and maybe Uconn/Umass if either is still interested in playing football.

ewwww please no - let's have stability and winning for a decade first! granted, you said "eventually"

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - CharlestonDuke - 10-27-2021 11:45 AM

Is the SBC adding Men’s soccer a given?

Coastal’s team plays with Marshall and ODU in CUSA. I was surprised to read that both GSUs have their teams in the MAC. Add JMU and that’s six teams right there…

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - 8993 - 10-27-2021 11:50 AM

(10-27-2021 11:45 AM)CharlestonDuke Wrote:  Is the SBC adding Men’s soccer a given?

Coastal’s team plays with Marshall and ODU in CUSA. I was surprised to read that both GSUs have their teams in the MAC. Add JMU and that’s six teams right there…

Keith Gill (SBC Commissioner) mentioned during the Southern Miss presser yesterday that the conference was open to adding other sports with the addition of new members, so I think that opens the door for soccer to come back into the fold.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Bill - 10-27-2021 11:56 AM

(10-27-2021 11:45 AM)CharlestonDuke Wrote:  Is the SBC adding Men’s soccer a given?

I read somewhere that the SBC was going to sponsor Men's Soccer, that Appy was going to add a team and that WVU, UK and SC were going to join to make it a 10 team conference.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - All Dukes_All Day - 10-27-2021 12:09 PM

(10-27-2021 11:25 AM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  

ewwww please no - let's have stability and winning for a decade first! granted, you said "eventually"

I feel like eventually both Temple and ECU are going to hate the new AAC and want to align with the Sun Belt East. It's possible the conference splits but remains under the Sun Belt umbrella...sort of like the ECAC back in the day.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - CharlestonDuke - 10-27-2021 01:05 PM

(10-27-2021 12:09 PM)All Dukes_All Day Wrote:  

I feel like eventually both Temple and ECU are going to hate the new AAC and want to align with the Sun Belt East. It's possible the conference splits but remains under the Sun Belt umbrella...sort of like the ECAC back in the day.

I’m not feeling any of this. Temple can go to the Mac or drop their program for all I care. I think southern schools would block them anyway.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMURocks - 10-27-2021 01:17 PM

(10-27-2021 01:05 PM)CharlestonDuke Wrote:  
(10-27-2021 12:09 PM)All Dukes_All Day Wrote:  
(10-27-2021 09:45 AM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  I think the second ECU isn't getting their current payout they'll start listening to offers. The AAC is going down the drain as far as football (ECU's real love) and I'm sure they'd love to be in the new SBC, but they wouldn't even consider it as long as they're making a guaranteed extra $5 million above the SBC's payout (or whatever the exact number is). Once ESPN isn't getting an ROI with the AAC and they reduce the deal and the SBC deal increases...I think they'll start calling. Even though they suck right now in football, you know they still want to be in a football-focused conference...they're also in Greenville, which is certainly an outlier in the media-market conference.

I’m not feeling any of this. Temple can go to the Mac or drop their program for all I care. I think southern schools would block them anyway.

Yep, I don't see the conference adding many teams north of us. Maybe a case could be made for a team like Delaware (with improvement) or Navy someday, but even those seem unlikely. Some of the southern teams had to be persuaded to add us due to location and travel.

ECU if they swallowed their pride and ambition could be added. A Florida team if they performed well could he considered. But this conference isn't generally looking to expand north. Also don't see them adding anyone far outside the footprint like the Dakotas or Montanas.