CSNbbs
Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-288.html)
+----- Forum: JMU Archives (/forum-1006.html)
+----- Thread: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 (/thread-909885.html)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - HyperDuke - 12-14-2020 02:08 PM

(12-14-2020 01:49 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  At the present time, I see the Sunbelt as the better league for App. A smarter move would be for Marshall, ODU and JMU to move to the Sunbelt.

I don’t see Charlotte as a good add. Neither basketball nor football brings anything of value to the Sunbelt.

App has a large donor/alumni base in and around Charlotte so what is available from a market perspective is already being received. Charlotte is a pro town. UNCC will struggle for relevance because of this. Their fan base is almost nonexistent. App’s fanbase is significant.

I would die. That’s a great league. And mostly agree about Charlotte.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - NJDuke97 - 12-14-2020 03:21 PM

(12-14-2020 02:08 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  
(12-14-2020 01:49 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  At the present time, I see the Sunbelt as the better league for App. A smarter move would be for Marshall, ODU and JMU to move to the Sunbelt.

I don’t see Charlotte as a good add. Neither basketball nor football brings anything of value to the Sunbelt.

App has a large donor/alumni base in and around Charlotte so what is available from a market perspective is already being received. Charlotte is a pro town. UNCC will struggle for relevance because of this. Their fan base is almost nonexistent. App’s fanbase is significant.

I would die. That’s a great league. And mostly agree about Charlotte.

The Sun Belt is at 10 today for football and 12 for all sports. I’m not sure if an odd number makes sense and where Marshall’s head is at. We can surmise where ODU is- they were the lone holdout this Fall football season and have been vocal about changes in terms of regionalization. The JMU/ODU add would give them 2 divisions North and South at 12. The North would span from Virginia to North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Duke Dawg - 12-14-2020 03:34 PM

if something happens with ULM, i can see us back in the picture with the SB and i can see us accepting this time.

Remember, last time they flirted with us, they were a 12 team league that had Idaho and NM state

the only school even remotely close to us was App St. They alone were not enough to make us move.

Since then, Idaho and NM state have been booted, and Coastal took our original invite.

If another western team left, like ULM, the league would make much more sense for us than before

SB East - App State, Coastal, Ga State, GA Southern, JMU
SB West - Troy, So Alabama, Ark St, Louisiana, Texas State

and no, they want take Liberty over us
and no, they aren't going to snub us over butt-hurt feelings.

all depends on what ULM does, which may be nothing.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - For the Dukes - 12-14-2020 04:10 PM

(12-14-2020 03:34 PM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  if something happens with ULM, i can see us back in the picture with the SB and i can see us accepting this time.

Remember, last time they flirted with us, they were a 12 team league that had Idaho and NM state

the only school even remotely close to us was App St. They alone were not enough to make us move.

Since then, Idaho and NM state have been booted, and Coastal took our original invite.

If another western team left, like ULM, the league would make much more sense for us than before

Agree on all this. ULM is definitely a school to watch at the moment for realignment purposes. Having just fired their coach after a winless season, this next hire will be a big one. They also just a few months ago got a new President from their Business school, so it will be interesting to see the direction he takes towards athletics - and I think it’s very possible they could drop to FCS. If they do drop I also see JMU as the prime candidate to replace them

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - NJDuke97 - 12-14-2020 04:56 PM

(12-14-2020 04:10 PM)For the Dukes Wrote:  
(12-14-2020 03:34 PM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  if something happens with ULM, i can see us back in the picture with the SB and i can see us accepting this time.

Agree on all this. ULM is definitely a school to watch at the moment for realignment purposes. Having just fired their coach after a winless season, this next hire will be a big one. They also just a few months ago got a new President from their Business school, so it will be interesting to see the direction he takes towards athletics - and I think it’s very possible they could drop to FCS. If they do drop I also see JMU as the prime candidate to replace them

I wonder if JMU would already be in FBS if either of the following had happened?

Umass agreed to join Mac for all sports or Uab stayed with their move down to FCS.

I know both may come of as excuses after the fact but I don’t agree with the thought that JMU doesn’t want to be FBS. I just think they are performing well on the field and a successful athletics program so they don’t think they have to force something that isn’t there on the promise that it may be in the future (ie Sun Belt a few years ago).

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - THUNDERStruck73 - 12-14-2020 06:26 PM

When was UAB planning to drop down to fcs?

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Madisonian - 12-14-2020 06:28 PM

(12-14-2020 06:26 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  When was UAB planning to drop down to fcs?

Never... obviously he’s misremembering the Alabama attempt/power move to eliminate the football program at UAB.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Purple - 12-14-2020 08:50 PM

Nice! I think that would put the Belt on par with AAC.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Purple - 12-14-2020 08:53 PM

I agree. That East division would be killer!

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - NJDuke97 - 12-14-2020 10:48 PM

(12-14-2020 06:28 PM)Madisonian Wrote:  
(12-14-2020 06:26 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  When was UAB planning to drop down to fcs?

Never... obviously he’s misremembering the Alabama attempt/power move to eliminate the football program at UAB.

Whatever the reason Uab shuttered their program for a few years but if they hadn’t have acted quickly to revive it there would have been an opening in Cusa.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/9/1/16175568/uab-football-canceled-return-timeline-2017-season

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Longhorn - 12-15-2020 02:03 AM

(12-14-2020 10:48 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  

Whatever the reason Uab shuttered their program for a few years but if they hadn’t have acted quickly to revive it there would have been an opening in Cusa.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/9/1/16175568/uab-football-canceled-return-timeline-2017-season

UAB never stopped playing FB “for a few years.” Donors saved the program in quick order.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Wear Purple - 12-15-2020 07:50 AM

FWIW, apparently VPI&SU AD (and JMU alum) Whit Babcock has a 1pm presser scheduled for today...

...perhaps the end of the Fuente era down I-81 maybe????

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Duke Dawg - 12-15-2020 09:45 AM

(12-15-2020 02:03 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  

UAB never stopped playing FB “for a few years.” Donors saved the program in quick order.

they didn't play for 2 years.

is that a "few" or a "couple"?

who the **** cares!

can we all please stop with the semantics antics on here all the time.

the point was clearly made. we all know they shut down for a few/couple/two years.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - BleedingPurple - 12-15-2020 09:46 AM

(12-15-2020 07:50 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  FWIW, apparently VPI&SU AD (and JMU alum) Whit Babcock has a 1pm presser scheduled for today...

Just the opposite, he's staying.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Dukeman2 - 12-15-2020 09:53 AM

The Sporting News, December 2020, MIKE DeCOURCY: "

"The NCAA sponsors a championship. We know it as the FCS. Everyone seems to want out. Since they first staged that championship in 1978, champions such as Georgia Southern, Boise State, Marshall, Massachusetts, Western Kentucky and Appalachian State all have abandoned '1-AA' to move up to the big time. So have Old Dominion, Arkansas State, Buffalo, Florida Atlantic. Oh, and Coastal Carolina, a name you certainly know by now."

"Funny thing: For all the App States and Boise States and Georgia States that have endeavored to play at the sport's highest level, I can't remember any program that opted to drop down a level for the chance to win a trophy."

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Wear Purple - 12-15-2020 11:08 AM

(12-15-2020 09:46 AM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(12-15-2020 07:50 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  FWIW, apparently VPI&SU AD (and JMU alum) Whit Babcock has a 1pm presser scheduled for today...

Just the opposite, he's staying.

Thanks. Good.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Longhorn - 12-15-2020 01:53 PM

(12-15-2020 09:45 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  
(12-15-2020 02:03 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  

they didn't play for 2 years.

is that a "few" or a "couple"?

who the **** cares!

can we all please stop with the semantics antics on here all the time.

the point was clearly made. we all know they shut down for a few/couple/two years.

Apparently the point wasn’t clearly made. Not busting your balls. Language counts. 07-coffee3

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Dukester - 12-15-2020 02:14 PM

How many years have we been talking about roughly the same thing? 12-13 years?

There truly is nothing new to be said.

How many times have we talked about why not have a conference with ASU, Marshall, blah, blah, blah"?

If I had a nickel for every time 'conference realignment" was typed.

What it will ultimately come down to is when is JMU willing to go for it? We are Dorothy wearing the red shoes.

I'm not sure what it will take to trigger it, but sorry Dukeman it's going to take more than your posts. Not sure what it will take, but whatever it takes hopefully it happens soon. Perhaps a top 10 CCU, and a top 25 Liberty will help. I find myself rooting for CCU, Liberty, & ASU so perhaps it will raise the bar for the decision makers at JMU.

I dunno.....

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Dukester - 12-15-2020 02:42 PM

Sometimes when you go for it, and be aggressive it puts you in position to take advantage of opportunities.

Here's what USA today is now projecting.

Jan 1 - Fiesta Bowl = Southern Cal vs CCU.

How many Millions will CCU get if they play that game?

Could you imagine the excitement in each of us and every JMU fan if we were this close to a Millions of $ Jan 1 Major Bowl game versus the USC Trojans?

This time they positioned them self for a bowl game. Did they also better position them self for a better conference?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2020/12/15/college-football-bowl-projections-playoff-clearer-florida-loss/6536246002/

Duke Dawg, how would that match up work for you?

These opportunities only happen if you position your self to get them.

Good for CCU.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - GaryMatthews - 12-15-2020 03:15 PM

(12-15-2020 02:14 PM)Dukester Wrote:  How many years have we been talking about roughly the same thing? 12-13 years?

There truly is nothing new to be said.

How many times have we talked about why not have a conference with ASU, Marshall, blah, blah, blah"?

If I had a nickel for every time 'conference realignment" was typed.

What it will ultimately come down to is when is JMU willing to go for it? We are Dorothy wearing the red shoes.

I'm not sure what it will take to trigger it, but sorry Dukeman it's going to take more than your posts. Not sure what it will take, but whatever it takes hopefully it happens soon. Perhaps a top 10 CCU, and a top 25 Liberty will help. I find myself rooting for CCU, Liberty, & ASU so perhaps it will raise the bar for the decision makers at JMU.

I dunno.....

I wish I knew how to make a script that would email Bourne, Alger, and the entire BOV every time someone made a post wishing we were FBS/complaining that we're still FCS. Or if every time a JMU fan makes that type of post they would copy and paste it into an email to those in charge.