CSNbbs
Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-288.html)
+----- Forum: JMU Archives (/forum-1006.html)
+----- Thread: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 (/thread-909885.html)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMUNation - 10-22-2021 11:17 PM

There are a lot of us on these boards fortunate enough to call Marc Butler our friend. My last of many memories was sitting with he and Gary at a bar prior to the VCU vs JMU basketball game in Richmond. Gary drove him down so he could see many of his friends. Marc had just one ceremonial Makers and ginger that night. He wasn’t well enough to stay for the game.

Marc would be on cloud 9 tonight if he were still with us. I wonder if JMU TKE is still monitoring these boards? He, Marc and I had an epic halftime together in 2008 at our last game against App.

There have been many milestones for JMU sports during my lifetime. Next week might be the largest one to date. I started this thread on the CAAZone. I hope the Mods will do me the honor of allowing me to leave the last post once the announcement is made.

It seems all but done. The FBS dream is finally coming true. The new Sunbelt will be a great league for all of its members new and old.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - KickItToScotty - 10-22-2021 11:23 PM

(10-22-2021 09:54 PM)JMad03 Wrote:  
(10-22-2021 09:50 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  

Ummm..... yikes.

Even Sam Houston State seems crazy to me, they can rarely even get 10k to a game and they're gonna go FBS?

Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - hburg - 10-23-2021 12:24 AM

Apparently this is how the whole ESPN deal came about and why SBC went to 14 teams. This is from a GSouth fan....
https://csnbbs.com/thread-932881-page-3.html

[Image: e0b35ce28cc0859dc012a277bad498ce.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - HyperDuke - 10-23-2021 03:59 AM

(10-22-2021 04:31 PM)jmu007 Wrote:  Not sure how many folks are left that will appreciate this… but the wife and I are on vacation and I’m toasting a Maker’s In OJF’s honor on today’s news. Wish he could’ve been here. Cheers all. Go Dukes.

A great tribute! Well done!

Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMUDunk - 10-23-2021 05:40 AM

(10-22-2021 04:31 PM)jmu007 Wrote:  Not sure how many folks are left that will appreciate this… but the wife and I are on vacation and I’m toasting a Maker’s In OJF’s honor on today’s news. Wish he could’ve been here. Cheers all. Go Dukes.

04-cheers

One of the few nights (of many, many) my brother and I bring up every time we get to story swapping.

After hours in the ‘Nooga in that dive bar talking about motor boating or whatever the f#%^ we were calling it in ‘04.
Pops was a fine man, introduced my own son to more 4 word diatribes in ‘07 pre-game against Carolina, saved me the effort.
He’d definitely be digging this. He’s missed.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Bawlmer Duke - 10-23-2021 06:21 AM

(10-22-2021 06:42 PM)Purplehazed Wrote:  
(10-22-2021 06:32 PM)Bawlmer Duke Wrote:  App State v Coastal Carolina

https://www.reddit.com/r/NorthCarolina/comments/qdlbp2/does_app_state_have_better_mullets_than_coastal/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

I think the mom jeans college girls are wearing are worse than

Why?

Looking forward to a conference with this group

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - CarRamrod - 10-23-2021 07:14 AM

(10-22-2021 10:54 PM)JMaddy Wrote:  
(10-22-2021 10:50 PM)hburg Wrote:  
(10-22-2021 07:16 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  
(10-22-2021 06:59 PM)hburg Wrote:  JMU BOV would be crazy to refuse JMU especially if JMU is getting $2mil per year. https://csnbbs.com/thread-932964.html[Image: f928f0e9a1bc2f32aad897d764a4503d.jpg]

If true, this is hands down without a doubt better than getting an AAC invite.

I don't know how reliable Ben Moore is on info so hopefully it's true. I do know that dude has a crazy irrational hatred for all things JMU on Twitter so I wouldn't be surprised if he's acting like it would've been $3 million with someone else lmao
It also sounds like, according the TV deal thread that the SBC will also receive 30+ ESPN TV games per year. More tier 1 games than tier 3.

Tier I JMU games: App State, Marshall and ODU (CCU or La La a possibility)

The quick math here suggests ODU, Marshall, JMU, USM are worth about $10 million more a year to ESPN. I'd say a lot of that is Marshall, but don't count out our media appeal. I think there's a good chance we'd be projected to be worth less if we'd have moved in 2013 (sans GameDays, WCWS ratings, 2019 natty on ABC -pulled 2.7 mil viewers). Well done

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Duke Dawg - 10-23-2021 07:23 AM

The tv numbers and more “tier 1” games to me says more tue/wed games.

There is no room on espn platforms on Saturday’s. They aren’t bumping the big boys for SB games, no matter how much they like us.

I’m sure part of the move to 14 and part of the bump in money was the SB agreeing to it because with 14 teams there are more to spread out those weekday appearances. I don’t think anyone would want to have 4-5 of those. But 1-2 is ok.

So it’s a win win all around. Espn gets more weekday games. The schools won’t have to make any more appearances than they do now. And everyone gets a bump up in money with the extra tv slots.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Hart Foundation - 10-23-2021 07:23 AM

(10-22-2021 10:50 PM)hburg Wrote:  
(10-22-2021 07:16 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  
(10-22-2021 06:59 PM)hburg Wrote:  JMU BOV would be crazy to refuse JMU especially if JMU is getting $2mil per year. https://csnbbs.com/thread-932964.html[Image: f928f0e9a1bc2f32aad897d764a4503d.jpg]

If true, this is hands down without a doubt better than getting an AAC invite.

I don't know how reliable Ben Moore is on info so hopefully it's true. I do know that dude has a crazy irrational hatred for all things JMU on Twitter so I wouldn't be surprised if he's acting like it would've been $3 million with someone else lmao
It also sounds like, according the TV deal thread that the SBC will also receive 30+ ESPN TV games per year. More tier 1 games than tier 3.

As of now, the Sun Belt only has one game on ESPN on Saturday and that is the championship game. It will be nice to get at least a few on football Saturday that aren’t buried on The Ocho. With 8 premier AAC teams and 14 weeks of college football (including conf championships), I hope there is enough maneuvering space to get a handful of Sun Belt games on ESPN Saturday during prime viewing hours when the AAC doesn’t have a good matchup that week. A lot will be dependent on how the AAC schedules their conference games.
The Sun Belt will be wise to wait to announce their conference schedule in 2024 after the AAC announces so they can be intentional about having some good matchups on the weeks in which the AAC may not have any great matchups. That could open the valuable noon Saturday slot on ESPN which the AAC dominates now.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - olddawg - 10-23-2021 08:48 AM

Saw this on the C-USA board posted by a Marshall fan. It's nice if true:
"Hearing that the Sunbelt will sponsor Soccer with the following Teams making up the league":

1. Marshall #3
2. WVU #25
3. UK #4
4. South Carolina
5. ODU
6. Coastal Carolina
7. Georgia State
8. Georgia Southern
9. James Madison #23

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMURocks - 10-23-2021 09:02 AM

(10-23-2021 08:48 AM)olddawg Wrote:  Saw this on the C-USA board posted by a Marshall. It's nice if true:
"Hearing that the Sunbelt will sponsor Soccer with the following Teams making up the league":

1. Marshall #3
2. WVU #25
3. UK #4
4. South Carolina
5. ODU
6. Coastal Carolina
7. Georgia State
8. Georgia Southern
9. James Madison #23

Looks great for soccer!

Think this would be a multibid league that would draw good seeds and be in the hunt for titles on a regular basis.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - NJDuke97 - 10-23-2021 09:13 AM

This is all trending the right direction:

-JMU joins expanded Sun Belt with real East division rivals
-Word gets out that espn will be increasing the media deal essentially to match what they are giving the new American teams.
- expanded tv deal includes more coverage and games on prime spots

Only a matter of time that the Belt gets better bowl tie ins as well. That was one of my criticisms of the Belt in the past- you could have a great season miss out on the NYD game and then play someone from the Mac in a bowl.

With the attrition from the American to the Big 12 it has leveled the playing field for the NYD spot in the current system. I expect more bowl tie ins as wel all of which equals what Good G5 schools strive for - more opportunity to beat a P5 school. Add to that expanded playoffs and that’s how you grow a program and league brand to the level where they get playoff spots and ultimately have a chance (albeit small) to compete nationally for championships.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - hburg - 10-23-2021 10:07 AM

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMU85 - 10-23-2021 10:10 AM

I think the B10 for WLAX would be a great fit. Currently only 7 teams. They could join Hopkins as LAX only members.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMURocks - 10-23-2021 10:12 AM

Looks like Liberty tried to "rescue" CUSA by bribing the existing schools to stick around. Basically they tried to tank the whole SBC deal with money.

F Liberty if any of this is true. I suspect it is.

https://csnbbs.com/thread-933057.html

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - mainejeff - 10-23-2021 10:50 AM

(10-23-2021 10:12 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  Looks like Liberty tried to "rescue" CUSA by bribing the existing schools to stick around. Basically they tried to tank the whole SBC deal with money.

F Liberty if any of this is true. I suspect it is.

https://csnbbs.com/thread-933057.html

Agreed. F Liberty!

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - herdfan129 - 10-23-2021 10:54 AM

(10-23-2021 12:24 AM)hburg Wrote:  Apparently this is how the whole ESPN deal came about and why SBC went to 14 teams. This is from a GSouth fan....
https://csnbbs.com/thread-932881-page-3.html

[Image: e0b35ce28cc0859dc012a277bad498ce.jpg]

Timeline matches up with everything in terms of the 12 and then decision to expand to 14.

I hope ESPN is going to really push us as the real challenger to the AAC as the Top G5. Would be good for us and would make sense seeing as how they don't own the MWC.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - herdfan129 - 10-23-2021 10:57 AM

(10-23-2021 07:23 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  The tv numbers and more “tier 1” games to me says more tue/wed games.

There is no room on espn platforms on Saturday’s. They aren’t bumping the big boys for SB games, no matter how much they like us.

I’m sure part of the move to 14 and part of the bump in money was the SB agreeing to it because with 14 teams there are more to spread out those weekday appearances. I don’t think anyone would want to have 4-5 of those. But 1-2 is ok.

So it’s a win win all around. Espn gets more weekday games. The schools won’t have to make any more appearances than they do now. And everyone gets a bump up in money with the extra tv slots.

The current deal is no SBC will have more than one Tues/Weds home game per year.....could end up with two Tues/Weds game with one of them being away though.

I'm fine with 1 Tues/Weds home game per year if its necessary.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Dignan - 10-23-2021 11:11 AM

(10-23-2021 10:57 AM)herdfan129 Wrote:  
(10-23-2021 07:23 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  The tv numbers and more “tier 1” games to me says more tue/wed games.

The current deal is no SBC will have more than one Tues/Weds home game per year.....could end up with two Tues/Weds game with one of them being away though.

My personal preference would be zero mid-week night games but that’s mostly because I live in Europe and they’d be impossible for me to watch that late. I know my concerns are pretty much just my problem.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - 8993 - 10-23-2021 11:31 AM

(10-23-2021 11:11 AM)Dignan Wrote:  
(10-23-2021 10:57 AM)herdfan129 Wrote:  

My personal preference would be zero mid-week night games but that’s mostly because I live in Europe and they’d be impossible for me to watch that late. I know my concerns are pretty much just my problem.

Take the midweek games. They are crazy good for exposure and the students have nowhere else to be, so you can nearly guarantee a loud game. They almost always make these midweek games big rivalry games, too.

Imagine JMU-ODU playing on a Wednesday night with no direct competition on primetime ESPN. Or imagine JMU at Kidd Brewer Stadium on a Thursday night in late October, where people are thirsty for college football. These midweek games can be tough on travelers, yes, but that hypes the energy up even more. I've loved them and haven't missed one in years now.