CSNbbs
Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-288.html)
+----- Forum: JMU Archives (/forum-1006.html)
+----- Thread: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 (/thread-909885.html)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMad03 - 10-21-2021 01:25 PM

(10-21-2021 01:17 PM)Dadgum Wrote:  The Riggert interview is very telling if you are listening.

Sunbelt is a done deal, CUSA will die.

I will miss this thread, it's been around since before my kids were born, and they're not toddlers.

I'm not ready to say that yet, but Bourne certainly did throw some breadcrumbs out there.
I will be very glad to move on from conference rumors, but they will never truly be gone if we go FBS.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - DoubleDogDare - 10-21-2021 01:26 PM

So Sunbelt to 14 with JMU, ODU and WKU in consideration for the last two spots (USM and Marshall in; Liberty out). I don't see how we are out. JMU checks all the boxes as the best option outside of the "market" which isn't a driving force based on Sun Belts comments/actions. The only way we are out is if Marshall says they are only coming with WKU and even then I still think we would get in over ODU.

Travel - Push. JMU has more bus opportunities but WKU and ODU have closer airports.
WKU is 4 hour drive from Marshall, 6.5 to App State.
JMU is 4 to JMU, 4.5 to Marshall, 4.5 to App State, and 6.5 to CCU.
ODU is 4 to JMU, 5.5 to CCU, 6 to App State.

Facilities - Push. I'd say JMU > WKU > ODU if I had to rank but seems close.

Sports Programs - Easy JMU. Capital One Cup #34 Men #38 Womens. WKU and ODU don't have a point.

Academics - I just know nothing about WKU academics but JMU is either first or second of that group.

Sunbelt History - WKU ditched SunBelt a handful of years ago. JMU turned them down. The only good thing is I hope Sun Belt would appreciate JMU turning them down because it wasn't the right fit (which has been fixed with Idaho and NM gone) and that they have had success since. Whereas WKU ditched them and would now be crawling back having made the wrong decision.

Keith Gill - He is very familiar with JMU and ODU. Likely at JMU for CGD in '15. Assuming Jeff Bourne didn't repeatedly yell "Ruck Fichmond" at him all day, I have to think this can only help our cause. He knows ESPN loves us.

"Sponsors (from sports" - Marshall might slightly favor WKU. App State likely favors JMU by a wider margin. I'm guessing Coastal would favor JMU from the FCS days, but maybe ODU. South Alabama wanted Mickey Matthews back in 2008, that has to count for something.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Anders - 10-21-2021 01:27 PM

(10-21-2021 01:23 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  
(10-21-2021 01:17 PM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  If it could be announced on Nov 5, imagine that Homecoming celebration... Or my bday is the next week, so that'd be alright also.

Ding Ding Ding.

To maximize exposure, I'd love a formal announcement in concert with Homecoming.

Make a plug for Duke Club membership and donors to support our student athletes with the excitement of the news. Hey, maybe a free beer at the stadium for current and new Duke club members. Get this donor base energized. 03-cloud9

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMUrcc06 - 10-21-2021 01:31 PM

(10-21-2021 01:00 PM)2Buck Wrote:  Bourne needs to be let off the leash.

more like put out to pasture.

Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - hburg - 10-21-2021 01:33 PM

Bourne in the Riggert interview also referred to current caa members in the past tense.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - 2Buck - 10-21-2021 01:34 PM

(10-21-2021 01:31 PM)JMUrcc06 Wrote:  

Yeah, I'm talking about in terms of rallying JMU Nation and donations if this is leading to a move. Playing coy over the next few weeks is wasted time that could fund the entire move.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - AllForDukes - 10-21-2021 01:35 PM

This thread is highly bipolar. Manic one day, depressed the next and can turn on a dime. WOW

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - hburg - 10-21-2021 01:36 PM

(10-21-2021 01:34 PM)2Buck Wrote:  

Yeah, I'm talking about in terms of rallying JMU Nation and donations if this is leading to a move. Playing coy over the next few weeks is wasted time that could fund the entire move.
If they make their intentions known and ask...alumni and fans would donate.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - monarx - 10-21-2021 01:36 PM

(10-21-2021 12:57 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  
(10-21-2021 12:45 PM)monarx Wrote:  Sounds to me like JMU is in the drivers seat in some ways. Marshall and ODU would prefer you join them in CUSA for a league of: WKU, LT, MTSU, Marshall, ODU, JMU, Liberty, FIU and UTep. The thinking is UTEP eventually drops off and perhaps App and CCU are enticed to join later. Pros: fewer teams splitting resources, more compact (eventually), way better basketball, better academic partners. Another Virginia team. Cons: media deal, uncertainty

OR: JMU, ODU and Marshall join the SunBelt for an eastern league consisting of JMU, ODU, Marshall, App, CCU, GaSo and GSU. Pros: better media deal, better football, proximity to App and CCU. Cons: The western league=more travel, more mouths to feed.

So which way do you all go? I think Marshall and ODU do what you do. Or of course, you could stay in the CAA, in which case staying in CUSA is a non-starter and MU and ODU go to the SB.

Not trying to stir up trouble here but do you think JMU considers themselves a peer of Liberty’s?

Not in any way other than on the football field. But Im not sure you're really a close peer of any SunBelt teams either. Maybe App st. JMU is culturally more like the classier MAC schools such as Ohio and Miami in my mind. And I mean that as a compliment. But being in a conference with you guys is always fun. I have quite a few friends and family members that are Dukes.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Dukes1825 - 10-21-2021 01:36 PM

(10-21-2021 01:33 PM)hburg Wrote:  Bourne in the Riggert interview also referred to current caa members in the past tense.

Noted that as well when referencing his colleagues at the CAA league office.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - DirtyDukes - 10-21-2021 01:37 PM

(10-21-2021 11:47 AM)herdfan129 Wrote:  
(10-20-2021 07:20 PM)2Buck Wrote:  
(10-20-2021 07:01 PM)Johns1124 Wrote:  
(10-20-2021 06:50 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  
(10-20-2021 06:41 PM)jmu18 Wrote:  You hearing anything about ODU/JMU

I am hearing that Marshall is advocating for ODU and WKU to join us and USM, but the Belt is more interested in JMU, which is fine with me and most other MU fans.

I also think that App has a decent sized hand in this

The VP isn't 79 is like 129 they BS.

I'm done, my advice. Don't start packing yet!

I know it may be nice to think the key to realignment goes through JMU.

It doesn't! It's ridicules to think it does!

A Marshall fan with a hundred posts in 17 years comes out of the woodwork to post hearsay from an MU board on our board? Seems credible.

He's been posting on the Marshall boards for years. We've had disagreements over the year, but I think hes a good guy and solid poster. 04-cheers

How can you be hating on Bourne right now?!?! Do you realize the position we're in!?

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - KickItToScotty - 10-21-2021 01:38 PM

For the most part Sun Belt is the safer bet. Stability is a huge plus, they lost zero members throughout this and are now looking to get even stronger whereas CUSA is on life support and hoping we help save the day. Sun Belt would immediately be very strong and put us with pretty much all the schools we really hope to be with.

Upside for CUSA is the lack of western teams. Would be very heavily east coast and hoping to go even further that way. You would have very few distant trips in conference and would hope that this east coast footprint would entice Sun Belt East schools to move somewhere down the road. It'd be giving up immediate stability and strength for the hope of eventually becoming the MECC.

Would anyone here expect JMU to roll the dice instead of taking the safe and stable route?

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - 2Buck - 10-21-2021 01:40 PM

I bet the holdup is everyone waiting to see how many zeroes Liberty is willing to add to their backroom donation.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Duke Dawg - 10-21-2021 01:41 PM

You guys kill Bourne all the time, but he isn’t making these decisions.
He can do the legwork and provide information, data and his opinion, but ultimately the decision rests with Alger and king and maybe even the BOT.

I know from having spoken to Bourne many times over many years, he is all for fbs.

Some of you young’ins just don’t realize where our program was in 2003. We’ve come a loooooooong way. It’s a complete 180 from those days.

Bourne and king have done a lot of good work to help get our programs to where it is now. With king soon to retire, and Bourne probably not far behind, I’m sure both would love to leave a legacy at jmu of having built and watched over our transition to fbs.

They probably wouldn’t want someone else to get the credit for it later on after they put in all the work to make ourselves such an attractive school to add.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - James Madison - 10-21-2021 01:41 PM

(10-21-2021 01:26 PM)DoubleDogDare Wrote:  So Sunbelt to 14 with JMU, ODU and WKU in consideration for the last two spots (USM and Marshall in; Liberty out). I don't see how we are out. JMU checks all the boxes as the best option outside of the "market" which isn't a driving force based on Sun Belts comments/actions. The only way we are out is if Marshall says they are only coming with WKU and even then I still think we would get in over ODU.

Travel - Push. JMU has more bus opportunities but WKU and ODU have closer airports.
WKU is 4 hour drive from Marshall, 6.5 to App State.
JMU is 4 to JMU, 4.5 to Marshall, 4.5 to App State, and 6.5 to CCU.
ODU is 4 to JMU, 5.5 to CCU, 6 to App State.

Facilities - Push. I'd say JMU > WKU > ODU if I had to rank but seems close.

Sports Programs - Easy JMU. Capital One Cup #34 Men #38 Womens. WKU and ODU don't have a point.

Academics - I just know nothing about WKU academics but JMU is either first or second of that group.

Sunbelt History - WKU ditched SunBelt a handful of years ago. JMU turned them down. The only good thing is I hope Sun Belt would appreciate JMU turning them down because it wasn't the right fit (which has been fixed with Idaho and NM gone) and that they have had success since. Whereas WKU ditched them and would now be crawling back having made the wrong decision.

Keith Gill - He is very familiar with JMU and ODU. Likely at JMU for CGD in '15. Assuming Jeff Bourne didn't repeatedly yell "Ruck Fichmond" at him all day, I have to think this can only help our cause. He knows ESPN loves us.

"Sponsors (from sports" - Marshall might slightly favor WKU. App State likely favors JMU by a wider margin. I'm guessing Coastal would favor JMU from the FCS days, but maybe ODU. South Alabama wanted Mickey Matthews back in 2008, that has to count for something.

I live in Louisville. WKU is kinda like the Radford of Kentucky academics wise

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - boozeNammo - 10-21-2021 01:45 PM

I guarantee the holdup is that the SunBelt and CUSA 'real numbers' (rev sharing, media rights agreement, bowl payout and distributions, etc) recently came in as late as maybe yesterday. Lawyers, Prez, accountants working the details (and negotiating)... will present to the Commonwealth against the Cox bill... then the prep begins for an announcement (if it is agreed upon). This $hizzle takes time folks.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - 2Buck - 10-21-2021 01:48 PM

(10-21-2021 01:37 PM)DirtyDukes Wrote:  

How can you be hating on Bourne right now?!?! Do you realize the position we're in!?

Not hating on him? Of Alger, King and Bourne I always felt JB was the one that wanted a move the most but was kept in check. If JMU is committed to a move Bourne needs to be given the freedom to raise he11 and get alumni pumped. But on a personal note, the Bourne of 10 years ago would be even more effective right now.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Miami (Oh) Yeah ! - 10-21-2021 01:48 PM

(10-21-2021 01:40 PM)2Buck Wrote:  I bet the holdup is everyone waiting to see how many zeroes Liberty is willing to add to their backroom donation.

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - DaBigBlue - 10-21-2021 01:51 PM

CUSA is worried and five teams is the magic number. If the conference falls below 5 members it will lose the NCAA automatically qualifier and it takes 6 years to get it back. That goes for every sport. CUSA had very good soccer and baseball last year. Last time CUSA got raided, it went down to 5 teams and got back to 14. If CUSA gets below 5, it's very hard to reload. Things are going to be interesting. We don't want to see a G5 go away, less plates at the table and less auto-bids for mid-majors in all sports, not just MBB & WBB.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMUDuke25 - 10-21-2021 01:53 PM

Some of you dudes need to get off the emotional roller coaster. JMU is moving up. It's just a matter of time.

In other words, just listen to Duke Dawg. If he doesn't have direct information, he's damn sure piecing things together correctly.