CSNbbs
Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-288.html)
+----- Forum: JMU Archives (/forum-1006.html)
+----- Thread: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 (/thread-909885.html)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - NJDuke97 - 10-21-2021 10:20 AM

Optics of joining the Belt are a lot better. Cusa just lost a bunch of members to the American they are viewed as the AACs farm team. Sun Belt is riding high with teams ranked feature games on espn etc. Their membership has been steady. I think it’s a no brainer if Odu and Marshall come along as a package deal.

Btw in going from 10-14 I wonder the impact on the ESPN deal- just a straight number in the total so the per school amount is the same or would bringing in new markets (Virginia, etc) bump up the deal even more?

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Duke Dawg - 10-21-2021 10:20 AM

(10-21-2021 10:19 AM)sekudog Wrote:  
(10-21-2021 10:08 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  So if I understand it correctly, there are two scenarios:

1. The Sun Belt convinces Marshall, ODU, and JMU to join USM in the move to the Belt. JMU would find themselves in a division with Marshall, ODU, App State, Coastal Carolina, Georgia State, and Georgia Southern. ESPN conference with some weeknight games.

2. CUSA convinces Marshall and ODU to stay by adding Liberty and JMU. JMU would find themselves in a division with Marshall, ODU, Liberty, WKU, MTSU, and FIU. Non-ESPN conference.

Which situation sounds better to JMU fans? I’m genuinely curious.

Here is the tough question - if it is a diminished CUSA or stay in CAA - which then?

define diminished?

If the worst case scenario happens and MU, ODU and WKU go to SB with So Miss, there is no chance in the world we go to CUSA...and that would be the CORRECT decision. CUSA would be a financial sewer.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - jmu98 - 10-21-2021 10:21 AM

(10-21-2021 09:52 AM)Dukester Wrote:  
(10-21-2021 08:58 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  Cox bill…this could be the sticking point for JMU moving up. The last number I recall is athletics being 70% subsidized by student fees. The Cox bill requires the subsidy to be no more than 55%. If our budget is $50 million, the math says a minimum of $7.5 million must be raised via ticket sales, merchandise, Media rights and donations.

I worry that our fanbase will be unwilling to foot this bill. JMUs 7% of living alumni being donors doesn’t instill confidence in me and likely not our administration and the state of Virginia who has to ultimately approve the move.

https://footballscoop.com/news/latest-round-realignment-conference-usa-sun-belt-james-madison

Quote:To be sure, JMU has the profile of an FBS school. With 21,000 undergrads, the Harrisonburg, Va., based school plays in a 25,000-seat stadium and its $10.6 million in football revenue (2018-19) was the highest in FCS. Its $50+ million budget would be among the tops in the Sun Belt or C-USA right now. The Dukes were a target of realignment way back in 2013. JMU said no then, but in doing so they eased the door shut, they didn't slam it.

Does the 10.6 Million include student fees? I'd guess so....

Current operating budget for football that is self funded is about 5.5 million.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - nyduke - 10-21-2021 10:23 AM

Make the move.....Sun Belt Conference

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - nyduke - 10-21-2021 10:23 AM

Make the Move, Sun Belt Conference

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMU08 - 10-21-2021 10:24 AM

(10-21-2021 10:08 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  So if I understand it correctly, there are two scenarios:

1. The Sun Belt convinces Marshall, ODU, and JMU to join USM in the move to the Belt. JMU would find themselves in a division with Marshall, ODU, App State, Coastal Carolina, Georgia State, and Georgia Southern. ESPN conference with some weeknight games.

2. CUSA convinces Marshall and ODU to stay by adding Liberty and JMU. JMU would find themselves in a division with Marshall, ODU, Liberty, WKU, MTSU, and FIU. Non-ESPN conference.

Both are good choices. I believe that there are many more scenarios, but these are both good.

I'd say in general, Sunbelt is better as of right now, but C-USA has more potential since it could be reshaped into a near perfect east coast conference and the poor media deal is expiring soon. Just depends on what handshakes are being made behind closed doors right now I guess.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMad03 - 10-21-2021 10:26 AM

ABSOLUTELY Sun Belt all day long.
1. Opponents. Marshall, ODU and App State alone are worth it. Coastal has proven themselves and we do have a history with them as well.
2. Stability. Sun Belt is hands down a better conference than it was 10 years ago. Plus the teams in the Sun Belt appear to be happy there. Normally the weakest conference gets poached, and Sun Belt has proven it is not the weakest conference. That title now goes to CUSA. CUSA is about as wobbly as they come. Leadership is poor, the media deal is garbage, and teams have expressed their displeasure. Certainly doesn't instill confidence in CUSA, that's for sure.
3. Leadership. The Sun Belt is doing a much better job than CUSA, that's for sure. I cannot recall the last time I heard of a Sun Belt team unhappy with leadership. CUSA on the other hand seems to have almost every team unpleased.
4. Media deal. There are few conferences out there with a media deal worse than CUSA. Sun Belt on the other hand has a deal that would only get sweeter with the addition of Marshall, ODU, JMU and Southern Miss. I'll gladly take weeknight games versus Sun Belt teams.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Purple - 10-21-2021 10:27 AM

(10-21-2021 08:36 AM)DirtyDukes Wrote:  
(10-21-2021 07:38 AM)cmett003 Wrote:  
(10-21-2021 07:02 AM)Dadgum Wrote:  
(10-20-2021 10:57 PM)ah59396 Wrote:  
(10-20-2021 09:59 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  App St takes down Coastal at the buzzer. Great game and atmosphere. Would love to be in conference with them!

Come join the fun.

Imagine in the very near future, conference matchup, #22 App State vs #19 JMU, Thursday night, ESPN, 30k strong in Harrisonburg. Winner heads to the Belt championship to host a ranked Southern Miss, with a chance at an NY6 bowl, the Cotton Bowl vs. Wisconsin.

Holy sh!t, this guy gets it.

Not to burst your bubble but, if all the conference changes dont start til 2023-2024 and it takes JMU 2 seasons to transition to FBS. The earliest you could compete for a championship would be 2025-2026. That is assuming you have it figured out financially...

(10-21-2021 07:44 AM)JMU2004 Wrote:  
(10-21-2021 07:41 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  https://twitter.com/Madia_DNRSports/status/1451151305506967553

Latest post from Madia.
If JMU is still trying to make that determination, we are officially screwed.
After almost a decade of the Carr Report, receiving invites, saying that we are prepared.... if through all of this JMU is still trying to figure it out, I seriously give up.
We have a budget that rivals FBS schools and surpasses many of them. These are things that should have been done years ago.
If the things they are figuring out are things like what the best programs to add to remain Title IX compliant, then I could see that. Perhaps it's just making sure all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed.
We may have a real shot at a regional conference and I will be absolutely sick if we miss out.

This feels like the "Get your check books out" phase of realignment.

Yep, this tweet was given to greg by the Admin to raise money. Guarantee.

Also, I've heard rumblings Alger is considering CUSA because of academics...

I say send Alger to CUSA! The Belt is and always will be a much better conference. Anyone who saw the App/Coastal game last night knows that. Anyone, but backwards cowboy hat Alger, that is.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Purple - 10-21-2021 10:29 AM

(10-21-2021 09:57 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  It does appear that we are an important piece of this puzzle. Some "in the know" believed the conferences wouldn't even consider us.
And now a conference could live or die by our decision.
If the Sun Belt adds, I believe they will make a single announcement ala AAC. Perhaps that is what is holding out the Southern Miss announcement/no announcement. Perhaps they leaked it before all the pieces were in place.
My perfect scenario would be to join the Sun Belt with Marshall and ODU. I would donate immediately and I mean that 100%.

Likewise!

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - bcp_jmu - 10-21-2021 10:29 AM

^ that was a great game...JMU shoutout and all (that was definitely planned...a nice plug)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Dukester - 10-21-2021 10:31 AM

(10-21-2021 10:18 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  i'm doing my part to help close the funding gap.

Just bought tickets to the Towson game (seeking P Lot parking pass if anyone wants to help me out :-) ) and made a small donation to the Duke Club. Nothing compared to what the Alpha Dogs and many i know on here do, but every bit helps. And i plan to continue to increase my donation over time.

No strings attached though. JMU is my school and even if I would be disappointed if the SB deal falls through....because i see it as the perfect scenario that we've been waiting for.....i'm not going to throw a tantrum and bail on my school.
That does nothing but set us back. The future is always unknown and prone to change no matter what so continued support is what is needed to keep us strong.

So you're willing to donate more if it means us potentially playing FBS football?

Me too, but like you not an Alpha Dog - but if a lot increase their giving percentage, that certainly will help.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Duke Dawg - 10-21-2021 10:33 AM

(10-21-2021 10:31 AM)Dukester Wrote:  
(10-21-2021 10:18 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  i'm doing my part to help close the funding gap.

Just bought tickets to the Towson game (seeking P Lot parking pass if anyone wants to help me out :-) ) and made a small donation to the Duke Club. Nothing compared to what the Alpha Dogs and many i know on here do, but every bit helps. And i plan to continue to increase my donation over time.

No strings attached though. JMU is my school and even if I would be disappointed if the SB deal falls through....because i see it as the perfect scenario that we've been waiting for.....i'm not going to throw a tantrum and bail on my school.
That does nothing but set us back. The future is always unknown and prone to change no matter what so continued support is what is needed to keep us strong.

So you're willing to donate more if it means us potentially playing FBS football?

Me too, but like you not an Alpha Dog - but if a lot increase their giving percentage, that certainly will help.

i'm going to be contributing more regardless.

was already on my radar to do by year end, this just accelerated it.

think about it, you'd have to be blind not to see this was coming. if everyone had been increasing donations over the last 5-10 years, there probably wouldn't even be a need to hit up the Alpha Dogs and get their assurances.

I want to be part of the solution, not the problem, going forward.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - TrueBlueDrew - 10-21-2021 10:33 AM

(10-21-2021 10:16 AM)JMUrcc06 Wrote:  

#1 all day and twice on Sunday... I want nothing, nothing, nothing to do with Liberty... but if the core 4 (to us) are ODU, MU, App vs ODU, MU, Liberty - is that really even a question??

In #1 - thanksgiving weekend looks like App v MU and JMU v ODU classic rivalries ready to launch into relevancy from day 1!

One good thing about the Sun Belt is the proximity and established rivalries. Every SBC team has a historic rival save for TXST because of geography and Coastal Carolina because of recency. CCU is building hatred within the conference though.

From a GS fan perspective, I’m very excited about the prospect of adding Marshall, ODU, USM, and JMU. All 4 schools are programs we have established history with, and I believe we all belong together even in this day and age. Very excited that the Sun Belt vision lead to a conference made up mostly of the historic old guard of the FCS.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMad03 - 10-21-2021 10:36 AM

Yes, the Alpha Dogs have far more money than most of us, but don't take for granted how big of an impact donors that donate or donate more can have.
Plus there's always the possibility that a regular donor could be an Alpha Dog in waiting that has just been waiting for an FBS announcement.
Plus, I 100% expect JMU to have some very heavy advertisement campaigns to raise money for the move.
Also, keep in mind that ticket prices will most certainly go up, which will lead to more revenue.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Dukester - 10-21-2021 10:37 AM

(10-21-2021 10:33 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  

think about it, you'd have to be blind not to see this was coming. if everyone had been increasing donations over the last 5-10 years, there probably wouldn't even be a need to hit up the Alpha Dogs and get their assurances.

Yep, certainly does add to excitement/interest, and likely for many more donations.

If the Super Belt happens, how long will it take to get the other side of Bridgeforth approved?

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMUrcc06 - 10-21-2021 10:39 AM

(10-21-2021 10:26 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  ABSOLUTELY Sun Belt all day long.
1. Opponents. Marshall, ODU and App State alone are worth it. Coastal has proven themselves and we do have a history with them as well.
2. Stability. Sun Belt is hands down a better conference than it was 10 years ago. Plus the teams in the Sun Belt appear to be happy there. Normally the weakest conference gets poached, and Sun Belt has proven it is not the weakest conference. That title now goes to CUSA. CUSA is about as wobbly as they come. Leadership is poor, the media deal is garbage, and teams have expressed their displeasure. Certainly doesn't instill confidence in CUSA, that's for sure.
3. Leadership. The Sun Belt is doing a much better job than CUSA, that's for sure. I cannot recall the last time I heard of a Sun Belt team unhappy with leadership. CUSA on the other hand seems to have almost every team unpleased.
4. Media deal. There are few conferences out there with a media deal worse than CUSA. Sun Belt on the other hand has a deal that would only get sweeter with the addition of Marshall, ODU, JMU and Southern Miss. I'll gladly take weeknight games versus Sun Belt teams.

Regarding the bold above, I took a look at Apps 2021 schedule to see if I really would be OK with this... and not just this year but 10 years from now.

3 week night games out of 12 game schedule.
Game 1 - Thursday night hosting in-state ECU rival. Absolutely, if we were Week 1 after months of no college football, we host VT or similar, I'm good with all eyes thirsty for any college football.

Game 2 - Tuesday night AT Louisiana, I'd be OK with this as an away game. It doesn't take away a tailgate opportunity.

Game 3 - last night vs top 25 Coastal at home. Nationally televised, quality opponent, I think it works... will be interested to see the viewer ratings.

It's not perfect and I recognize that. I suspect that the first few years would be fine, there would be a year or two we'd get screwed. It's not worse than playing Maine, Albany, StBrook.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - GaSoEagle - 10-21-2021 10:40 AM

If JMU ever wants FBS football here is your greatest chance

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - GaSoEagle - 10-21-2021 10:42 AM

Here is your best shot at FBS football

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Dukester - 10-21-2021 10:44 AM

(10-21-2021 10:40 AM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  If JMU ever wants FBS football here is your greatest chance

How could any question our desire for FBS? 03-lmfao

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Duke Dawg - 10-21-2021 10:45 AM

(10-21-2021 10:37 AM)Dukester Wrote:  
(10-21-2021 10:33 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  

Yep, certainly does add to excitement/interest, and likely for many more donations.

for sure. who wouldn't like it? it's been what we've been wanting/waiting for

i've been accused of being anti-FBS. Was never true. I simply wanted us to be smart in our decision to move up. So we aren't left holding the bag like a WKU or LaTech could be.

To me, being in a far flung conference of misfits was not worth the risk, extra expense and damage to our already successful olympic sports (which could happen, sadly) and give up what we have going in FCS, which is still a pretty good thing, despite some getting bored with it.

But who wouldn't want this potential schedule:

@Penn State
Richmond
@App State
Liberty
@Ohio
Georgia Southern
Marshall
@Georgia State
@Coastal Carolina
South Alabama
@Troy
Old Dominion

I think we will see one FCS home game, one road money game, and then regional G5 FBS opponents on a home and home basis to save on travel. With an occassional home game against a P5 willing to come take a beating at BFS.