CSNbbs
Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-288.html)
+----- Forum: JMU Archives (/forum-1006.html)
+----- Thread: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 (/thread-909885.html)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - CarRamrod - 10-20-2021 12:24 PM

(10-20-2021 11:57 AM)JMaddy Wrote:  
(10-20-2021 11:29 AM)ah59396 Wrote:  The smoke I keep seeing is that if Marshall balks, JMU is the next call to move the SBC to 12.

You’d share a new SBC east division with:

JMU
App State
Coastal Carolina
Ga Southern
Ga State
Troy

An absolute nightmare of a football division in terms of difficulty. Would be fun.
I'm all for it, but everything I've seen has us hitching our wagon with Marshall and ODU for a regional conference, and if Marshall turns down the SBC that further pushes that narrative.

For better or worse our admin is pretty loyal and true to their word (I'd like to think that's a good trait). If we have an agreement with Marshall in place and they turn down the SBC I don't see us being so ruthless as to take the opportunity for ourselves, especially when the awesome eastern division in the SBC is only half of the equation.

Also while the SBC was far superior to the full CUSA, this new easternly leaning CUSA with JMU and Liberty in play would be quite intriguing. I really wanted to be in the SBC from the first time we talked conference realignment but an instate rivalry that you can drive to for ODU and Liberty would be hard to pass up.

Potential annual schedule:

Liberty
ODU
Marshall
1 of: VT/UVA/WVU
1 of: WM/UR/UD
SB Crossover: App/Coastal/GA Southern

Even as someone that really likes FCS football in general, the reliability year In and year out of the above is very intriguing.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - boozeNammo - 10-20-2021 12:26 PM

I'm one of the old timers on these boards so been through this washer several times... and my spidey-senses are telling me we stay put. The risk vs opportunity cost argument can be fashioned in a few different ways but the one thing you cannot change is that each of the three situations (options or potential options) we have require quite a bit of number crunching and probably some required political support in VA. As i mentioned a few weeks ago, CUSA is probably the right move given the current landscape. That said, JMU is very conservative with these decisions, so I'm inclined to think they stay put. It just feels that way. Hope I'm wrong.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMaddy - 10-20-2021 12:32 PM

(10-20-2021 12:24 PM)CarRamrod Wrote:  
(10-20-2021 11:57 AM)JMaddy Wrote:  
(10-20-2021 11:29 AM)ah59396 Wrote:  The smoke I keep seeing is that if Marshall balks, JMU is the next call to move the SBC to 12.

You’d share a new SBC east division with:

JMU
App State
Coastal Carolina
Ga Southern
Ga State
Troy

An absolute nightmare of a football division in terms of difficulty. Would be fun.
I'm all for it, but everything I've seen has us hitching our wagon with Marshall and ODU for a regional conference, and if Marshall turns down the SBC that further pushes that narrative.

For better or worse our admin is pretty loyal and true to their word (I'd like to think that's a good trait). If we have an agreement with Marshall in place and they turn down the SBC I don't see us being so ruthless as to take the opportunity for ourselves, especially when the awesome eastern division in the SBC is only half of the equation.

Also while the SBC was far superior to the full CUSA, this new easternly leaning CUSA with JMU and Liberty in play would be quite intriguing. I really wanted to be in the SBC from the first time we talked conference realignment but an instate rivalry that you can drive to for ODU and Liberty would be hard to pass up.

Potential annual schedule:

Liberty
ODU
Marshall
1 of: VT/UVA/WVU
1 of: WM/UR/UD
SB Crossover: App/Coastal/GA Southern

Even as someone that really likes FCS football in general, the reliability year In and year out of the above is very intriguing.
Add in Ohio from the MAC in the third bucket as a potential rotational G5 crossover team, and then then is the less likely AAC (Navy, ECU, Temple) and I say less likely because will they do H&H? UMass and UCONN could also be in there for us traditionalists. The P5 will be 2 for 1s at best.

Liberty/ODU and Marshall we'd get two of them at home every other year and the other one home in the off year so guaranteed marquee home rival each year to get STH jazzed up.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMU2004 - 10-20-2021 12:33 PM

(10-20-2021 12:26 PM)boozeNammo Wrote:  I'm one of the old timers on these boards so been through this washer several times... and my spidey-senses are telling me we stay put. The risk vs opportunity cost argument can be fashioned in a few different ways but the one thing you cannot change is that each of the three situations (options or potential options) we have require quite a bit of number crunching and probably some required political support in VA. As i mentioned a few weeks ago, CUSA is probably the right move given the current landscape. That said, JMU is very conservative with these decisions, so I'm inclined to think they stay put. It just feels that way. Hope I'm wrong.

No joke, after the last decade, it would a colossal disappointment. Big 12 realignment was something JMU has pointed to for years as the next big shake up.

I would expect interest/attendance/donations to fall off a cliff. Fool me once...

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Anders - 10-20-2021 12:37 PM

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMUPride - 10-20-2021 12:41 PM

(10-20-2021 12:26 PM)boozeNammo Wrote:  I'm one of the old timers on these boards so been through this washer several times... and my spidey-senses are telling me we stay put. The risk vs opportunity cost argument can be fashioned in a few different ways but the one thing you cannot change is that each of the three situations (options or potential options) we have require quite a bit of number crunching and probably some required political support in VA. As i mentioned a few weeks ago, CUSA is probably the right move given the current landscape. That said, JMU is very conservative with these decisions, so I'm inclined to think they stay put. It just feels that way. Hope I'm wrong.

This x100

Almost humorous at this point people are convinced we're going anywhere. 95% chance we continue sitting on our butts and "monitor the situation".

Pretty sure the vast majority of the people thinking we're moving up now weren't around discussing it 20+ years ago when we first talked about fbs/I-A. If we really wanted to move up, we would have around 2010... everything is a pipe dream at this point.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMad03 - 10-20-2021 12:43 PM

(10-20-2021 12:37 PM)Anders Wrote:  

I thought Marshall was looking for a more something more regional. They would essentially only have App State as their only travel partner... unless there are more moves on the way.
If I were Marshall, there would need to be at least one other school in close proximity. We would be the closest.
If Marshall leaves, CUSA becomes much less appealing in my opinion.
And if true, I really, really hope we are going to the Sun Belt.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - jmufan2008 - 10-20-2021 12:43 PM

That would be...bad. Unless there's an immediate rumor of a 3rd school (and therefore a 4th), that would be all she wrote for JMU probably. I can't see the admin moving to a CUSA with basically no one left (unless the state forces us to move there to give ODU a little more stability, which is very unlikely as it would put two schools in an awful position).

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - boozeNammo - 10-20-2021 12:43 PM

If The Herd runs to the SB, how the hell does CUSA survive? That conference is on life support. This is nuts (and admittedly, kinda fun to watch).

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - jmu007 - 10-20-2021 12:44 PM

(10-20-2021 12:33 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  

No joke, after the last decade, it would a colossal disappointment. Big 12 realignment was something JMU has pointed to for years as the next big shake up.

I would expect interest/attendance/donations to fall off a cliff. Fool me once...

If we end up left behind in the CAA again.... Speaking for myself here obviously, but I will say my future giving decisions with regards to anything above the minimum are directly tied to this at this point.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - olddawg - 10-20-2021 12:44 PM

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMU2004 - 10-20-2021 12:46 PM

(10-20-2021 12:44 PM)jmu007 Wrote:  

If we end up left behind in the CAA again.... Speaking for myself here obviously, but I will say my future giving decisions with regards to anything above the minimum are directly tied to this at this point.

Yea. I'd be dropping season tickets and moving to the bare minimum donation, whatever that is. I simply have zero interest at this point.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - 2Buck - 10-20-2021 12:47 PM

(10-20-2021 12:44 PM)jmu007 Wrote:  

Yeah, this reminds me of the UMass/MAC situation. If Marshall goes to SBC we're staying in the CAA for life. If that happens, it'll take new leadership to get me engaged beyond casual awareness.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Dukester - 10-20-2021 12:51 PM

(10-20-2021 12:41 PM)JMUPride Wrote:  

This x100

Almost humorous at this point people are convinced we're going anywhere. 95% chance we continue sitting on our butts and "monitor the situation".

Pretty sure the vast majority of the people thinking we're moving up now weren't around discussing it 20+ years ago when we first talked about fbs/I-A. If we really wanted to move up, we would have around 2010... everything is a pipe dream at this point.

I share the same concerns. It is a difference for multiple reasons that we are still FCS. I always think the the odds are us moving up soon. I do think at some we'll move up to the Marshall, ODU, CCU, ASU level, but this is the same administration that has been ultra-conservative the last 15 years when it comes to moving up to FBS. It's never our fault, and if we don't move up it's the right decision - at least that is what some on here will say.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - MarginalDuke - 10-20-2021 12:52 PM

Apparently also reported is that Grand Valley St. will move up to OVC in 2023. Prepared to get lapped by D2 powers if we don’t go CUSA.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Dukester - 10-20-2021 12:56 PM

(10-20-2021 12:43 PM)boozeNammo Wrote:  If The Herd runs to the SB, how the hell does CUSA survive? That conference is on life support. This is nuts (and admittedly, kinda fun to watch).

Maybe ODU will move back to the minors with us.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - hburg - 10-20-2021 12:56 PM

They cannot play conservative this time. It was a bad move last time not moving up, would be even worse if it doesn't happen this time.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - 2Buck - 10-20-2021 12:58 PM

(10-20-2021 12:52 PM)MarginalDuke Wrote:  Apparently also reported is that Grand Valley St. will move up to OVC in 2023. Prepared to get lapped by D2 powers if we don’t go CUSA.

If a Top 25 Coastal Carolina doesn't light a fire under this admin's butt, Bridgewater to the ACC wouldn't matter much.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMU2004 - 10-20-2021 12:59 PM

(10-20-2021 12:56 PM)hburg Wrote:  They cannot play conservative this time. It was a bad move last time not moving up, would be even worse if it doesn't happen this time.

Just you watch. We keep thinking JMU is full of grandmaster chess players, but I fear we're in the corner playing solitaire.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - boozeNammo - 10-20-2021 01:00 PM

If Marshall goes to the SB, I read the tea leaves as:

- CUSA refused to add Liberty as an 'east coast' team &
- Marshall and JMU had a very recent discussion... one that ended with JMU not supporting their own move to the conference, i.e. providing the last little push for them to make the call to separate from CUSA

Note: for those that think an 'exit fee' for Marshall is an issue, its not in the least