CSNbbs
Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-288.html)
+----- Forum: JMU Archives (/forum-1006.html)
+----- Thread: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 (/thread-909885.html)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Purple - 10-19-2021 08:09 AM

I believe the most likely landing spot at this point is the Sun Belt, Troy moving to the West, Marshall and JMU to the East. ODU and Southern Miss could possibly take the conference to 14.

CUSA is being cannibalized. They may wind up with five members left.

The Sun Belt is going to be the best G5 by far. AAC's P6 claim will become a punchline.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMUNation - 10-19-2021 08:52 AM

Everyone I ask who is in a position to know something has said the SB for weeks now but no one has been confident enough to say with 100% certainty. Marshall was in talks with the AAC. Did they get left out or choose not to go?

I have said from the beginning that an App, JMU and Marshall pack in any conference was an absolute home run for all three schools. It looks like the door is wide open for this to happen if those administrations feel the same way I do.

We are weeks away from putting this thread to rest. I pray it will be a celebration when we finally lay it to rest.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMad03 - 10-19-2021 08:54 AM

(10-19-2021 08:09 AM)Purple Wrote:  I believe the most likely landing spot at this point is the Sun Belt, Troy moving to the West, Marshall and JMU to the East. ODU and Southern Miss could possibly take the conference to 14.

The Sun Belt is going to be the best G5 by far. AAC's P6 claim will become a punchline.

To be fair, it was already a punchline. Now I cannot even imagine them trying to justify it. It's beyond ridiculous. The Sun Belt is definitely the best right now.
CUSA is definitely in some major trouble and I seriously doubt any conference is going to try to help.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - 82hawk - 10-19-2021 08:57 AM

Keep a close eye on the ASUN and CAA conferences. Could be an expansion/merging on the horizon, with FBS on the table.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - CarRamrod - 10-19-2021 09:02 AM

(10-19-2021 08:57 AM)82hawk Wrote:  Keep a close eye on the ASUN and CAA conferences. Could be an expansion/merging on the horizon, with FBS on the table.

Interesting, is there anything public suggesting this?

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMU2004 - 10-19-2021 09:06 AM

(10-19-2021 08:57 AM)82hawk Wrote:  Keep a close eye on the ASUN and CAA conferences. Could be an expansion/merging on the horizon, with FBS on the table.

Why in God's name would JMU want to be a part of that?

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMad03 - 10-19-2021 09:09 AM

I seriously doubt that.
Atlantic Sun has 13 teams (including Liberty).
CAA has 12 for football. 10 for basketball.
A merger is almost impossible. Perhaps a team or two move, but even that is far fetched as the CAA's region and ASun's region are vastly different, with the exception of a school or two.
Of the schools in both conferences, how many do you truly believe are FBS ready?

Besides, the CAA has burned that bridge with JMU and I don't see any reason why JMU would want to stay. An A-Sun merger would only solidify that departure.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Madison 91 Forever - 10-19-2021 09:28 AM

This absolutely will not happen. There's no way that UR, W&M, Elon, URI, etc. are going FBS, ever. Maybe Delaware and Villanova, but that's it.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - KickItToScotty - 10-19-2021 09:29 AM

(10-19-2021 08:54 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  
(10-19-2021 08:09 AM)Purple Wrote:  I believe the most likely landing spot at this point is the Sun Belt, Troy moving to the West, Marshall and JMU to the East. ODU and Southern Miss could possibly take the conference to 14.

To be fair, it was already a punchline. Now I cannot even imagine them trying to justify it. It's beyond ridiculous. The Sun Belt is definitely the best right now.
CUSA is definitely in some major trouble and I seriously doubt any conference is going to try to help.

Yeah the best case I could see for the handful of CUSA schools in danger of getting left behind is something like that Marshall fan tweet posted earlier. Something like that seems ok, but it's depending on the Sun Belt going "yeah ok we'll take all these schools and be a huge conference" instead of just taking the ones they really want. No one is gonna look out for anyone but themselves, so it seems like things might be looking really bad for 5ish CUSA schools. Also seems possible that ODU ends up being one of them.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - CarRamrod - 10-19-2021 09:34 AM

(10-19-2021 09:28 AM)Madison 91 Forever Wrote:  

This absolutely will not happen. There's no way that UR, W&M, Elon, URI, etc. are going FBS, ever.

It seems that the only non-impossible reorg would have an FBS football league and an FCS league. This is the first I've heard of this. EKU, Liberty, Kennesaw State, North Florida, and FGCU could probably make some attempt at FBS. Other than JMU and Delaware, I have no idea who else could have interest in FBS in the CAA. Maybe Stony Brook? If there's anything to this rumor, maybe this is some feeble attempt to keep JMU listening. But without any additional info, this seems to be DOA and just a UNCW fan's opinion..

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - DirtyDukes - 10-19-2021 09:34 AM

(10-19-2021 08:52 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  Everyone I ask who is in a position to know something has said the SB for weeks now but no one has been confident enough to say with 100% certainty. Marshall was in talks with the AAC. Did they get left out or choose not to go?

I have said from the beginning that an App, JMU and Marshall pack in any conference was an absolute home run for all three schools. It looks like the door is wide open for this to happen if those administrations feel the same way I do.

We are weeks away from putting this thread to rest. I pray it will be a celebration when we finally lay it to rest.

If and when we go FBS we should have a big party in Richmond at go cover the CAA office with streamers.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - DirtyDukes - 10-19-2021 09:34 AM

(10-19-2021 08:52 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  Everyone I ask who is in a position to know something has said the SB for weeks now but no one has been confident enough to say with 100% certainty. Marshall was in talks with the AAC. Did they get left out or choose not to go?

If and when we go FBS we should have a big party in Richmond at go cover the CAA office with streamers.

Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - ODU1986 - 10-19-2021 09:41 AM

Never forget the Golden Rule of realignment, schools always move up to the higher conference. And the CUSA coffer, soon to be $ 18,000,000 fatter because of exit fees, are much richer than that of the Sunbelt.

You’re going to see JMU, ODU, Marshall, WKU and Middle Tennessee all in a renamed CUSA. And we’ll be trying to entice App, Coastal, Liberty, Temple, and whoever else will fit the new regional footprint join us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - THUNDERStruck73 - 10-19-2021 09:44 AM

I don’t think it’s the Belt for you CUSA just lost six teams in FAU, UAB, Charlotte, UTSA, UNT, and Rice to the AAC.

This leaves:

ODU
Marshall
WKU
MTSU
FIU
USM
LaTech
UTEP

I think this now triggers the Belt to add Marshall, USM, LaTech (if they’re smart), and one other eastern school (lets just say, WKU).

That leaves CUSA with:

ODU
MTSU
FIU
(JMU)
(Liberty)
UMASS
(NDSU)
UTEP
(NMSU)

JMU could get a SBC in lieu of WKU or another team.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Pitz - 10-19-2021 09:44 AM

C-USA is on the brink of extinction.

If I'm the Sun Belt, I'm making a strong play for four more programs. They are in the power position and will only be weakened if they let C-USA stay intact and reload with top FCS/Independent programs.

Where JMU falls in this is a major question. Joining the Sun Belt with some kind of USM/Marshall/WKU/MTSU/ODU trio is absolutely our ideal scenario.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - CarRamrod - 10-19-2021 09:50 AM

(10-19-2021 09:44 AM)Pitz Wrote:  C-USA is on the brink of extinction.

If I'm the Sun Belt, I'm making a strong play for four more programs. They are in the power position and will only be weakened if they let C-USA stay intact and reload with top FCS/Independent programs.

Where JMU falls in this is a major question. Joining the Sun Belt with some kind of USM/Marshall/WKU/MTSU/ODU trio is absolutely our ideal scenario.

Commissioner Gill has been dropping public comments about potentially moving to 14 now for the last 2 months. I think the next pieces fall into place quickly.

Maybe ASUN teams that want to move up to FBS can join up with the CUSA teams left behind + Missouri State.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMad03 - 10-19-2021 09:51 AM

(10-19-2021 09:34 AM)DirtyDukes Wrote:  

Not to mention the very last time we'll have to play in the bread box.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMU2004 - 10-19-2021 09:55 AM

(10-19-2021 09:34 AM)DirtyDukes Wrote:  

CAA office? You mean that converted real estate office behind a gas station on Patterson? Even the signage to that office is faded/falling apart. Ever since VCU/GMU left, it's as if none one has cared about that place. The parking lot is usually empty, even prior to COVID.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - bcp_jmu - 10-19-2021 09:58 AM

It's funny...i thought this too..then remembered:
- 5 years ago, ACC was dead "unc, uva, clemson are leaving"
- Big 12 was dead this summer
- AAC was dead last month
- CUSA? well...not a lot of FBS conferences have died lately

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - POTUS#4 - 10-19-2021 09:58 AM

This is the issue. What will the Sunbelt decide to do? They can take the kill shot and put CUSA out of its misery, or be content that they have a stable, up and coming conference that didn't just get gutted and decide to stand pat.

If they stand pat, CUSA will reload as best they can and maybe emerge in decent shape a few years down the road. If the Sunbelt cherry picks the top few CUSA teams and adds CUSA's top "free agent" targets, CUSA is screwed.