CSNbbs
Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-288.html)
+----- Forum: JMU Archives (/forum-1006.html)
+----- Thread: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 (/thread-909885.html)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - CarRamrod - 10-18-2021 08:03 PM

(10-18-2021 07:26 PM)JMaddy Wrote:  My only concern is CUSA makes a play for and gets App St, GaSt, GaSo and CCU and calls it a day. That would be a scenario that would make the CUSA strong and also make the SBC worthless to us in a single move. The only hope then would be for La Tech and So Miss to go to the SBC thus potentially opening up two more slots.

Its not all a done deal yet but so far this is promising.

I'm willing to bet CUSA sees JMU as more valuable than at least 2 of those 4 schools.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMU2004 - 10-18-2021 08:07 PM

I think USM and Marshall will now join the SBC.

Truthfully, I’m now very concerned that JMU will have zero appetite for what’s left of CUSA.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - James Madison - 10-18-2021 08:12 PM

We need to be pushing hard for the Sunbelt. I'd be okay with CUSA if Marshall stayed but I'd be surprised if they did. Even if they do leave and CUSA is our only choice, we need to move up. It's now or never

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - jmu18 - 10-18-2021 08:16 PM

Honestly even if Marshall leaves C-USA, a C-USA with ODU, WKU, MTSU, and a Liberty invite wouldn’t be too bad… maybe convince Delaware to move up as well… solid East Coast core

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - CarRamrod - 10-18-2021 08:23 PM

(10-18-2021 08:07 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  I think USM and Marshall will now join the SBC.

Truthfully, I’m now very concerned that JMU will have zero appetite for what’s left of CUSA.

A primary reason Marshall wanted out was CUSA was too focused on Texas. AAC just wacked that whole state out of CUSA. I would be stunned if Marshall left now when they could be a persuasive voice in getting east coast teams. Even if CUSA takes just JMU, the east coast core of Marshall, ODU, WKU, and JMU would be something Marshall would be into. CUSA is going to have some cash on hand from 6 exit fees to potentially do something more.

IMO, If CCU and Louisiana didn't have an undefeated season last year during Covid, the perceptions of the SB right now would be very different. The SB marquee matchup is on Wednesday night this week between CC and App. There's also a good chance Louisiana and CC are both going to lose their coaches after this season. Word on the street in Blacksburg is that Napier at Louisiana has his eyes on the VT job.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - GaSoEagle - 10-18-2021 08:26 PM

Some of you guys don t get it- no Belt team is leaving For CUSA. All 10 Belt football teams are firmly committed to the league and ESPN is backing the Belt. USM is joining and so is Marshall.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Anders - 10-18-2021 08:38 PM

[Image: kfH6rRm.png]

So with the invites that are being sent for the AAC this is the current landscape right?

Edit: Updated, thank you olddawg

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Duke Dawg - 10-18-2021 08:38 PM

(10-18-2021 08:07 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  I think USM and Marshall will now join the SBC.

As we should. It would be terrible.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - olddawg - 10-18-2021 08:40 PM

Georgia State in Sun Belt East

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMU2004 - 10-18-2021 08:43 PM

(10-18-2021 08:38 PM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  

As we should. It would be terrible.

Looks like purgatory in FCS to me. JMU is going to find it very hard to sell another missed round of realignment.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Hart Foundation - 10-18-2021 08:49 PM

Yuck. What is the AAC doing? I guess when they moved their conference office to Texas a year ago, they got Texas on their brain. Those teams don't bring jack squat in media ratings. The eyes of Texas are on UT, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, TCU, SMU, Baylor and Houston. Think about all those teams playing games at differing times and there is no room for FBS football fans in Texas to watch the punk programs that are remaining and now somehow going to the AAC.

Really, really poor business decision by the AAC.

Sun Belt - no incentive for them to change. Why would they add schools and dilute their already small media rights dollars?
Ditto for the MAC.

The CUSA looks like it will be the clear bottom feeder G5 conference and JMU's only option.
Would Liberty go with JMU? I think so.
CUSA probably wants to get back to 12. What other 2 should join? Would Army surprisingly want back in the CUSA like it was for 6 years in the early 2000's? Would UMass and UConn want in? Any other FCS callups? Maybe Delaware?

It looks like no matter what happens, JMU will end up tied to athletic departments that are far less invested in D-1 sports. CUSA now is essentially a band of brothers that nobody else wants and spread out from Virginia to Florida to Texas.

The conference will suck, but the ability to schedule 4 FBS OOC games each year will be great. Have a few good games in conference with Marshall, ODU, and Liberty but have really good OOC games with SEC, ACC, AAC, or maybe throw a bone to Richmond or W&M for one season opening FCS win each year.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - ah59396 - 10-18-2021 09:13 PM

(10-18-2021 08:26 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  Some of you guys don t get it- no Belt team is leaving For CUSA. All 10 Belt football teams are firmly committed to the league and ESPN is backing the Belt. USM is joining and so is Marshall.

Bingo. We’d be drunk to leave an ESPN entity to go play our games on Facebook. And what are we trading, Texas State for UTEP? Arkansas State for MTSU? You wanna tie your cart to Judy McLeod? We all know how important leadership is.

CUSA has been trending down for 5 years and just lost UAB, FAU and UTSA. A couple of the few teams in that conference with a pulse.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - s2dsayer - 10-18-2021 09:17 PM

(10-18-2021 08:38 PM)Anders Wrote:  [Image: kfH6rRm.png]

So with the invites that are being sent for the AAC this is the current landscape right?

If the AAC adds become official, CUSA and SB need to quit screwing around and pull the trigger on the Big Swap. Waive all exit fees.

Combine the two East divisions into a conference, add JMU.

Combine the two West divisions into the second conference.

Move Troy from the East to West.

East would have 10, nicely regionalized.

West would have 9, nicely regionalized.

Easy peasy, let's git 'ur done!

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - space orange - 10-18-2021 09:46 PM

(10-18-2021 07:29 PM)JMU1985 Wrote:  These schools could have also sent applications to other conferences, right? Could Charlotte be playing the field and put in applications to the Sun Belt also? Could Charlotte wait and see what happens before they leave CUSA?

Not likely at this point. When we reach the point of information leaking about public applications about to be sent, it's a done deal. The actual process of reaching out to apply is done behind the scenes. Only once the conference and schools that have been selected already negotiated terms do the schools formally apply. This is exactly what happened with Texas and Oklahoma and then the 4 Big 12 additions.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - DoubleDogDare - 10-18-2021 09:48 PM

(10-18-2021 06:43 PM)CarRamrod Wrote:  
(10-18-2021 06:38 PM)bridgeforthduke Wrote:  Will be interesting to see if it's Sun Belt or CUSA for JMU. CUSA can try to focus as more of an Eastern regional conference now.

CUSA is going to have an influx of cash from all these exit fees. People are saying CUSA is dead, but it seems to me they have a real opportunity to build something interesting if they do this right. Keeping Marshall is probably the most important part, and if JMU is added with another school nearby, I think Marshall is pretty happy. Also, most of the good football is still in CUSA, 4 of the 6 that are leaving are bad and have been bad for a while. Heck, go call up Temple and see how this is going over. Based on their Presidents comments, I can't believe they are at all excited about these adds.

Am I reading that wrong or am I looking at the CUSA results wrong? I get that it is one year, heck it's actually just half a season, but there are 6 CUSA teams currently >= .500. 4 of those teams are gone. The teams leaving are a combined 22-16, while those remaining are 19-33. North Texas is the only school leaving that has lost to a CUSA school being left behind, the other 5 teams haven't lost to any of the 8 schools staying.

Of the 8 CUSA schools remaining, their OOC records against FBS schools is 3-20 with Marshall beating Navy (1-5 vs FBS) and UTEP beating New Mexico State (0-5 excl. FCS and NM) and New Mexico (0-5 excl. FCS and NM State). The three OOC FBS wins by the remaining CUSA teams are against teams a combined 1-15.

To state the current season results in a different way, 75% of the remaining CUSA teams don't have a SINGLE FBS win midway through the season.

2020 was weird, but 3 of the 4 teams that finished over .500 are gone: FAU (5-4), UAB (6-3), and UTSA (7-5) are leaving and only Marshall (7-3) remains. So again, looks like the majority of the good teams are leaving.

2019 had 7 teams over .500 and 3 of those are gone. Before we all say that the AAC is taking the bad teams, the bottom feeders from that year were 1-11 ODU and 1-11 UTEP, who are staying in CUSA.

So I'm not sure how most of the good remains. You'd have to go back to 2019 season to even start that argument and that argument pretty much ends with the fact that 25% of the CUSA teams remaining didn't have a single FBS win in 2019.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - space orange - 10-18-2021 09:52 PM

(10-18-2021 09:48 PM)DoubleDogDare Wrote:  
(10-18-2021 06:43 PM)CarRamrod Wrote:  
(10-18-2021 06:38 PM)bridgeforthduke Wrote:  Will be interesting to see if it's Sun Belt or CUSA for JMU. CUSA can try to focus as more of an Eastern regional conference now.

CUSA is going to have an influx of cash from all these exit fees. People are saying CUSA is dead, but it seems to me they have a real opportunity to build something interesting if they do this right. Keeping Marshall is probably the most important part, and if JMU is added with another school nearby, I think Marshall is pretty happy. Also, most of the good football is still in CUSA, 4 of the 6 that are leaving are bad and have been bad for a while. Heck, go call up Temple and see how this is going over. Based on their Presidents comments, I can't believe they are at all excited about these adds.

Am I reading that wrong or am I looking at the CUSA results wrong? I get that it is one year, heck it's actually just half a season, but there are 6 CUSA teams currently >= .500. 4 of those teams are gone. The teams leaving are a combined 22-16, while those remaining are 19-33. North Texas is the only school leaving that has lost to a CUSA school being left behind, the other 5 teams haven't lost to any of the 8 schools staying.

Of the 8 CUSA schools remaining, their OOC records against FBS schools is 3-20 with Marshall beating Navy (1-5 vs FBS) and UTEP beating New Mexico State (0-5 excl. FCS and NM) and New Mexico (0-5 excl. FCS and NM State). The three OOC FBS wins by the remaining CUSA teams are against teams a combined 1-15.

To state the current season results in a different way, 75% of the remaining CUSA teams don't have a SINGLE FBS win midway through the season.

2020 was weird, but 3 of the 4 teams that finished over .500 are gone: FAU (5-4), UAB (6-3), and UTSA (7-5) are leaving and only Marshall (7-3) remains. So again, looks like the majority of the good teams are leaving.

2019 had 7 teams over .500 and 3 of those are gone. Before we all say that the AAC is taking the bad teams, the bottom feeders from that year were 1-11 ODU and 1-11 UTEP, who are staying in CUSA.

So I'm not sure how most of the good remains. You'd have to go back to 2019 season to even start that argument and that argument pretty much ends with the fact that 25% of the CUSA teams remaining didn't have a single FBS win in 2019.

All of what you said plus the last 4 CUSA titles have been split between FAU and UAB. And the only current ranked team is UTSA. Doesn't seem like most of the good football is staying.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMURocks - 10-18-2021 10:03 PM

Overall, the Belt + Marshall seems most desirable.

However, we need to move regardless of where we land. When App moved, the SBC was weaker. Things will not get better for us by waiting longer, and FCS may get watered down some more. Plus there is a chance the doors really are locked this time after the CFP starts expanding.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMU Duke Dog - 10-18-2021 10:11 PM

(10-18-2021 09:17 PM)s2dsayer Wrote:  
(10-18-2021 08:38 PM)Anders Wrote:  [Image: kfH6rRm.png]

If the AAC adds become official, CUSA and SB need to quit screwing around and pull the trigger on the Big Swap. Waive all exit fees.

Combine the two East divisions into a conference, add JMU.

Combine the two West divisions into the second conference.

Move Troy from the East to West.

East would have 10, nicely regionalized.

West would have 9, nicely regionalized.

Easy peasy, let's git 'ur done!

Agreed but UTEP could go to the Mountain West? I would if I were them and had that as an option!

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMURocks - 10-18-2021 10:23 PM

Have a feeling UMass, UConn and Liberty may come into the picture. CUSA will need more schools to join for survival, especially if SBC is able to poach Marshall and USM.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - White Hall - 10-18-2021 10:33 PM

(10-18-2021 10:23 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  Have a feeling UMass, UConn and Liberty may come into the picture. CUSA will need more schools to join for survival, especially if SBC is able to poach Marshall and USM.

For UMass and UConn, it would have to be football only. Both have made clear they want their basketball in the A10 and Big East, respectively. I am good with a football only jump and keeping the rest of our sports in the CAA, especially if it is the CUSA without Marshall and So. Miss. We just need to move to the FBS now.