CSNbbs
Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-288.html)
+----- Forum: JMU Archives (/forum-1006.html)
+----- Thread: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 (/thread-909885.html)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - BeatWestern! - 10-15-2021 09:33 AM

(10-15-2021 08:51 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  the complicated part in this from a JMU perspective is that all things being equal as far as geography and tv money, we would prefer CUSA because they sponsor more sports than the SB does.

i believe there is only 1 that CUSA doesn't sponsor, but 4 or 5 the SB doesn't

The SBC and C-USA both currently sponsor eight men's and nine women's sports. The MAC, OTOH, sponsors 11 men's and 13 women's sports, including men's soccer and women's field hockey and lacrosse.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - White Hall - 10-15-2021 10:52 AM

(10-15-2021 08:25 AM)olddawg Wrote:  
(10-15-2021 07:29 AM)JMUrcc06 Wrote:  
(10-14-2021 08:53 PM)jmu007 Wrote:  
(10-14-2021 08:48 PM)Yosef181 Wrote:  I'm just an outsider, reading the boards. I'm curious though, because I don't have a clue: If Marshall ends up in the Sun Belt, which option would JMU fans prefer for "regional rivals"?

Sun Belt with App State and Marshall?
or C-USA with Old Dominion and Charlotte?

In that scenario... Belt.

In that scenario... 100% Belt

More importantly, who would get the rivalry game? One thing I'm most looking forward to in the realignment/FBS is the opportunity for the Thanksgiving weekend rivalry game. To me, rivalry weekend is another top reason to be pro FBS ( in this order: OOC schedule opps > Rivalry Weekend > Bowl Game)

IMO we need a clear and natural rivalry that we can start from day 1.

I felt that ODU-JMU football had all the makings of a good 'ol fashioned, season ending rivalry. If we move up, I'd like to have that game every year, even if we are in different conferences. (Clemson-South Carolina, Georgia-Georgia Tech, Florida-FSU etc).

I second this. JMU-ODU has all of the makings of a huge regional rivalry. All the students know someone at the other school. Easy drive between the two campuses. History in other sports (who can forget the ‘94 CAA tournament). Urban campus versus college town. Smart kids vs. dumb kids. Water cooler smack talk with bosses vs. employees. I hope we start playing again soon

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Purplehazed - 10-15-2021 10:52 AM

(10-14-2021 08:48 PM)Yosef181 Wrote:  I'm just an outsider, reading the boards. I'm curious though, because I don't have a clue: If Marshall ends up in the Sun Belt, which option would JMU fans prefer for "regional rivals"?

Belt with Marshall and App

Fuk ODU. I want to be in a conference with ODU but their fan stance that lowly fcs/JMU does not belong with them and ECU etc. is a joke.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - 14SemesterDuke - 10-15-2021 11:11 AM

(10-15-2021 10:52 AM)White Hall Wrote:  
(10-15-2021 08:25 AM)olddawg Wrote:  
(10-15-2021 07:29 AM)JMUrcc06 Wrote:  
(10-14-2021 08:53 PM)jmu007 Wrote:  

In that scenario... Belt.

In that scenario... 100% Belt

More importantly, who would get the rivalry game? One thing I'm most looking forward to in the realignment/FBS is the opportunity for the Thanksgiving weekend rivalry game. To me, rivalry weekend is another top reason to be pro FBS ( in this order: OOC schedule opps > Rivalry Weekend > Bowl Game)

IMO we need a clear and natural rivalry that we can start from day 1.

I felt that ODU-JMU football had all the makings of a good 'ol fashioned, season ending rivalry. If we move up, I'd like to have that game every year, even if we are in different conferences. (Clemson-South Carolina, Georgia-Georgia Tech, Florida-FSU etc).

I second this. JMU-ODU has all of the makings of a huge regional rivalry. All the students know someone at the other school. Easy drive between the two campuses. History in other sports (who can forget the ‘94 CAA tournament). Urban campus versus college town. Smart kids vs. dumb kids. Water cooler smack talk with bosses vs. employees. I hope we start playing again soon

Thankfully, I have no one I consider my friend who choose to attend the cesspool that is Old Dominion University

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMad03 - 10-15-2021 11:16 AM

(10-15-2021 10:52 AM)Purplehazed Wrote:  

Belt with Marshall and App

Fuk ODU. I want to be in a conference with ODU but their fan stance that lowly fcs/JMU does not belong with them and ECU etc. is a joke.

Yet they continue to brag about the two FCS seasons they played us. They don't get to pick and choose what is relevant and what isn't.
Plus I'm not sure many FBS programs really want to "belong with them" as bad as they have been.
As an overall program, JMU is a better program by FAR.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Deez Nuts - 10-15-2021 02:30 PM

(10-15-2021 11:11 AM)14SemesterDuke Wrote:  Thankfully, I have no one I consider my friend who choose to attend the cesspool that is Old Dominion University

this guy gets it

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - solohawks - 10-15-2021 03:25 PM

Here is a semi plausible scenario I cooked up I think yall would like

My guesses based on what we think we know

AAC - UAB, Charlotte, Rice, FAU

AAC's Plan A was to get Big 12 schools
AAC's Plan B was to get MWC schools
AAC's Plan C is now replacement, status quo, and minimal damage

UAB fills the Cincinnati slot
Charlotte fills the UConn slot
Rice fills the Houston slot
FAU fills the UCF slot

Not ideal but passable and the market driven AAC is pleased with 4 big market adds

Sunbelt gets a Marshall and USM that fit in well with the culture of the league
MWC gets into TX with N Texas and UTSA and to address the concerns of the Mountain schools and gets Boise in the CA based western division

CUSA is left with ODU, WKU, MTSU, FIU, LA Tech, UTEP

My best case scenario for CUSA at that point

If MTSU/WKU want to stick around instead of trying to get into the MAC, then the CUSA can add JMU and MO St from FCS to get to 8 full time schools
I would also add UConn and UMass for football only.

Then, try to work out a deal with UTEP to get them as a football only member promising them no exit fees and their share of the exit fees from departing schools.
If they can be the WAC #14, then replace them with Liberty as the FBS #8 all sports member

That would give you a solid core of
WKU, MTSU, JMU, Liberty, ODU
with MO St. and LA Tech as travel partners
your requisite Florida school with FIU
and then UMASS, UCONN, UTEP, and NMSU as football only for 12 schools.

If you have a solid core of
and can build off it, down the line I would approach UMass, VCU, St. Louis, and Dayton about coming on board to solidify the CUSA basketball brand.

END GAME CUSA
UMASS
UConn/VCU
ODU
Liberty
JMU
FIU

WKU
MTSU
MO ST
LA Tech
UTEP/St. Louis
NMSU/Dayton

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMU2004 - 10-15-2021 04:05 PM

(10-15-2021 03:25 PM)solohawks Wrote:  Here is a semi plausible scenario I cooked up I think yall would like

My guesses based on what we think we know

AAC - UAB, Charlotte, Rice, FAU

AAC's Plan A was to get Big 12 schools
AAC's Plan B was to get MWC schools
AAC's Plan C is now replacement, status quo, and minimal damage

UAB fills the Cincinnati slot
Charlotte fills the UConn slot
Rice fills the Houston slot
FAU fills the UCF slot

Not ideal but passable and the market driven AAC is pleased with 4 big market adds

Sunbelt gets a Marshall and USM that fit in well with the culture of the league
MWC gets into TX with N Texas and UTSA and to address the concerns of the Mountain schools and gets Boise in the CA based western division

CUSA is left with ODU, WKU, MTSU, FIU, LA Tech, UTEP

My best case scenario for CUSA at that point

If MTSU/WKU want to stick around instead of trying to get into the MAC, then the CUSA can add JMU and MO St from FCS to get to 8 full time schools
I would also add UConn and UMass for football only.

Then, try to work out a deal with UTEP to get them as a football only member promising them no exit fees and their share of the exit fees from departing schools.
If they can be the WAC #14, then replace them with Liberty as the FBS #8 all sports member

That would give you a solid core of
with MO St. and LA Tech as travel partners
your requisite Florida school with FIU
and then UMASS, UCONN, UTEP, and NMSU as football only for 12 schools.

If you have a solid core of
and can build off it, down the line I would approach UMass, VCU, St. Louis, and Dayton about coming on board to solidify the CUSA basketball brand.

END GAME CUSA
UMASS
UConn/VCU
ODU
Liberty
JMU
FIU

WKU
MTSU
MO ST
LA Tech
UTEP/St. Louis
NMSU/Dayton

We would most definitely NOT like that league.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMU1985 - 10-15-2021 04:05 PM

Solohawks, thanks for the post. That list for CUSA is depressing and looks like more years of losing money. Too much geo spread. We are talking about 2nd tier FBS programs (not a bash but reality). They are not SEC schools that generate interest nationwide. None of the schools, in your list or mine, will compete for an FBS National Championship in our lifetimes. This new conference has to tap into a different emotion and environment to grow and be stable - see MAC. I still say it's something like the following:

JMU
Old Dominion
Marshall
App State
Charlotte
Western KY
Coastal Carolina
ECU
Navy
Army
Mid TN
Georgia State
Temple
Liberty

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - solohawks - 10-15-2021 04:49 PM

(10-15-2021 04:05 PM)JMU1985 Wrote:  Solohawks, thanks for the post. That list for CUSA is depressing and looks like more years of losing money. Too much geo spread. We are talking about 2nd tier FBS programs (not a bash but reality). They are not SEC schools that generate interest nationwide. None of the schools, in your list or mine, will compete for an FBS National Championship in our lifetimes. This new conference has to tap into a different emotion and environment to grow and be stable - see MAC. I still say it's something like the following:

JMU
Old Dominion
Marshall
App State
Charlotte
Western KY
Coastal Carolina
ECU
Navy
Army
Mid TN
Georgia State
Temple
Liberty

That would be very cool but not likely

App and GA St are not likely to leave the Sunbelt
Army is not likely to leave Independence
Temple, ECU, Navy are not likely to leave CUSA

Charlotte is strongly rumored to be joining AAC
Marshall is strongly rumored to be joining the AAC or Sunbelt

JMU 's most likely and realistic FBS scenarios are
Sunbelt #12 joining as the Easterm addition to USM's western addition

OR

Joining a depleted CUSA alongside another FCS upgrade likely with FIU, LA Tech, UTEP, MTSU, WKU and one other current member.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - bcp_jmu - 10-15-2021 06:56 PM

If that becomes CUSA, you gotta think Delaware may sack up finally

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMU1985 - 10-15-2021 07:01 PM

Solohawks,

AAC lost the following athletic budgets:
Cincy - $81M
Conn - $75M
UCF - $68M
Houston - $67M
The remaining institutions are way less. They are risking the CUSA path of member institutions that lose money every year.

So, it is unlikely that the AAC is going to overlook JMU ($58M) to replace those institutions by going to Marshall ($32M) and Charlotte ($40M). That math does not work. It weakens the conference and moves the AAC closer to the current CUSA mess.

Our athletic budget is bigger, we have more athletic programs, and most all of them are competitive. Our market potential around NOVA and DC compare or exceed Charlotte and most definitely Huntington, WVA.

By the way, Temple($44), ECU($56M), and Navy(Not Avail) are in the AAC.

But I think this all misses the point actually. AAC/CUSA/SB are in a battle. Which one is able to create a meaningful conference with what remains?

I think we have an excellent shot at becoming part of a strong conference. The question is which one wins the battle in play today.

Joining a weak FBS conference is not a good idea for JMU. It's a money pit because the weak conference will have schools with struggling budgets and it will be thrown together with teams that are 'leftover" and it will make no sense to anyone and therefore - no interest - no emotion - no money.

Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - atljmualum - 10-15-2021 08:21 PM

(10-15-2021 07:01 PM)JMU1985 Wrote:  Solohawks,

Cincy - $81M
Conn - $75M
UCF - $68M
Houston - $67M
The remaining institutions are way less. They are risking the CUSA path of member institutions that lose money every year.

So, it is unlikely that the AAC is going to overlook JMU ($58M) to replace those institutions by going to Marshall ($32M) and Charlotte ($40M). That math does not work. It weakens the conference and moves the AAC closer to the current CUSA mess.

Our athletic budget is bigger, we have more athletic programs, and most all of them are competitive. Our market potential around NOVA and DC compare or exceed Charlotte and most definitely Huntington, WVA.

But I think this all misses the point actually. AAC/CUSA/SB are in a battle. Which one is able to create a meaningful conference with what remains?

I think we have an excellent shot at becoming part of a strong conference. The question is which one wins the battle in play today.

Joining a weak FBS conference is not a good idea for JMU. It's a money pit because the weak conference will have schools with struggling budgets and it will be thrown together with teams that are 'leftover" and it will make no sense to anyone and therefore - no interest - no emotion - no money.

They “shouldn’t” overlook us; however, the egos of the Conference Prez and remaining AAC member Presidents and ADs still exist. While I suspect none of them feel we aren’t a good fit and have potential, they don’t want to risk the cool college kids (P5s) thinking they (HS seniors and juniors) are inviting middle schoolers to hang out at their parties and risk getting a bad rep (the P5 college kids aren’t paying any attention to the HS kids in reality but it’s an ego thing).

Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - atljmualum - 10-15-2021 08:22 PM

Cincy - $81M
Conn - $75M
UCF - $68M
Houston - $67M

They “shouldn’t” overlook us; however, the egos of the Conference Prez and remaining AAC member Presidents and ADs still exist. While I suspect none of them feel we aren’t a good fit and have potential, they don’t want to risk the cool college kids (P5s) thinking they (HS seniors and juniors) are inviting middle schoolers to hang out at their parties and risk getting a bad rep (the P5 college kids aren’t paying any attention to the HS kids in reality but it’s an ego thing).

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - solohawks - 10-15-2021 08:55 PM

Cincy - $81M
Conn - $75M
UCF - $68M
Houston - $67M

We will see what happens hopefully soon

I wish yall the best

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - KickItToScotty - 10-15-2021 10:25 PM

The scenario solohawks put out there is pretty close to worst case imo but isn't really unrealistic until the end with VCU and all that, which I realize is supposed to be further down the road but I still don't see happening. Anything where Marshall or ODU leaves CUSA and then CUSA is the only invite we get is pretty rough, a little worse if CUSA loses Charlotte as well. If things start to shake out that way then I hope like hell JMU can manage to jump on board the train to the Sun Belt. Something like Marshall/JMU/WKU to Sun Belt east, Troy and USM to Sun Belt west.

At this point I'm just curious to see what kind of names start popping up when we start hearing who the AAC is pursuing next. Plan A(or plans A and B if you want to count the desire to raid the Big 12 as plan A) fell through so the next big question is the type of schools they're thinking for plan B. That's been very quiet since the MWC rejections.

Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMU_Newbill - 10-15-2021 10:56 PM

Hey guys what if Marshall, Gonzaga, Houston Texans, Detroit pistons, old dominion (baseball only), and Hawaii pacific joined this new Eastern Conference!!!!!!!!!!! Is that enough emphasis?

Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMU_Newbill - 10-15-2021 10:57 PM

-

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - bcp_jmu - 10-15-2021 11:01 PM

Book it

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Purple - 10-16-2021 12:47 AM

Cincy - $81M
Conn - $75M
UCF - $68M
Houston - $67M

AAC has first dibs. They have the most to offer. But, they must play it right and choose the right schools. If the profile they are looking for is limited to urban research institutions, they are going to fall flat on their face. True sports fans could give a doodly about any of that.