CSNbbs
Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-288.html)
+----- Forum: JMU Archives (/forum-1006.html)
+----- Thread: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 (/thread-909885.html)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - olddawg - 10-07-2021 07:53 PM

SunBelt game going on now. Coastal appears to be legitimately for-real. Up 24-0 over Arkansas St. at half. Outgained them 300-50 in total offense.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMUDuke25 - 10-07-2021 08:42 PM

(10-07-2021 05:56 PM)herdfan129 Wrote:  
(10-07-2021 06:42 AM)JMUDuke25 Wrote:  
(10-06-2021 09:57 PM)herdfan129 Wrote:  
(10-06-2021 08:52 PM)Hbus Wrote:  There is no chance the AAC invites a current FCS school.

Myself and others have tried to tell them this countless times. I gave up on it. They will just have to wait and see it for themselves I suppose.

No, you haven't. You continue to try and make people believe you have some insider knowledge when you just throw **** against a wall to see what sticks.

Not true. I don't care if anyone believes me or not to be honest. I also specify in posts if something is from a "source" and follow up with, take it for what it's worth.

Anything I post that doesn't say its from a source is completely my opinion like everyone else.

For the record, I think JMU would be a solid add to the AAC but I dont see the AAC ruining their reputation by taking an FCS call up....simple as that.

03-lmfao

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - herdfan129 - 10-07-2021 08:57 PM

Laugh all you want but it's the truth. I think JMU would be a front runner had you moved up last round and then proven yourself at the FBS level...but the AAC is not going to take an FCS school.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - bcp_jmu - 10-07-2021 09:16 PM

You just cant talk sense to some JMU folks...we love too much?

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMUDuke25 - 10-07-2021 09:18 PM

(10-07-2021 08:57 PM)herdfan129 Wrote:  Laugh all you want but it's the truth. I think JMU would be a front runner had you moved up last round and then proven yourself at the FBS level...but the AAC is not going to take an FCS school.

I'm not claiming they are. But it's laughable to claim the AAC would be a laughing stock if they did take JMU.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - herdfan129 - 10-07-2021 10:16 PM

(10-07-2021 09:18 PM)JMUDuke25 Wrote:  
(10-07-2021 08:57 PM)herdfan129 Wrote:  Laugh all you want but it's the truth. I think JMU would be a front runner had you moved up last round and then proven yourself at the FBS level...but the AAC is not going to take an FCS school.

I'm not claiming they are. But it's laughable to claim the AAC would be a laughing stock if they did take JMU.

Laughing stock? Nah, I wouldn't say that.

Would they take a hit in perception? Absolutely.

And that is NOT a knock on JMU, but the vast majority of the FBS world is only going to see one thing....FCS CALL UP!

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - NJDuke97 - 10-08-2021 05:33 AM

It’s a complete non issue- more about budgets brand and facilities. The Universities and their leadership don’t care nor does the football fan. They all know who JMU is and what we are all about (winning).

It’s a press conference/release from Aresco that touts JMUs accomplishments across all sports and on the football field. It’s a quick video montage on ESPN and then the “journalists” who all seem to go out of their way not to mention us will all of a sudden come out of the woodwork- they won’t question the move- there will be plenty of articles about why it makes sense.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - NJDuke97 - 10-08-2021 05:35 AM

It’s a complete non issue- more about budgets program strength fan support and facilities. The Universities and their leadership don’t care nor does the football fan. They all know who JMU is and what we are all about (winning).

It’s a press conference/release from Aresco that touts JMUs accomplishments across all sports and on the football field. It’s a quick video montage on ESPN and then the “journalists” who all seem to go out of their way not to mention us will all of a sudden come out of the woodwork- they won’t question the move- there will be plenty of articles about why it makes sense.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - bcp_jmu - 10-08-2021 06:51 AM

"Go out of their way not to mention us"...
Huh?

We are FCS, regional U, and our national brand strength is low... i expext all 3 of those to change, but what do you expect from national journalists?

In that regard, Oddici probably did more for JMU's name-power than anything else (including the white oppressor mess)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - KickItToScotty - 10-08-2021 08:42 AM

(10-08-2021 05:35 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  It’s a complete non issue- more about budgets program strength fan support and facilities. The Universities and their leadership don’t care nor does the football fan. They all know who JMU is and what we are all about (winning).

What makes you so sure it's a non-issue? Obviously we all hope that's the way they look at it but I'd think it's much more likely that being FCS is the biggest hurdle keeping us from an AAC invite. I think herdfan is at least partially right that the AAC wouldn't like the optics of adding an FCS team for their reputation, I hope he isn't completely right that there's zero chance because of it but I'd be more surprised if he's wrong than if he's right.

If being FCS is a non-issue then what's holding us back from being one of the most common names tossed around as a top target and making us just a rare mention as a longshot?

Also definitely not the case that football fans don't care. This message board is full of FCS fans and fans of teams that had a lot of FCS success not so far in the past but in general the typical football fan might or might not even realize FCS is D1 and know who JMU is.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMaddy - 10-08-2021 08:49 AM

(10-08-2021 08:42 AM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  
(10-08-2021 05:35 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  It’s a complete non issue- more about budgets program strength fan support and facilities. The Universities and their leadership don’t care nor does the football fan. They all know who JMU is and what we are all about (winning).

What makes you so sure it's a non-issue? Obviously we all hope that's the way they look at it but I'd think it's much more likely that being FCS is the biggest hurdle keeping us from an AAC invite. I think herdfan is at least partially right that the AAC wouldn't like the optics of adding an FCS team for their reputation, I hope he isn't completely right that there's zero chance because of it but I'd be more surprised if he's wrong than if he's right.

If being FCS is a non-issue then what's holding us back from being one of the most common names tossed around as a top target and making us just a rare mention as a longshot?

Also definitely not the case that football fans don't care. This message board is full of FCS fans and fans of teams that had a lot of FCS success not so far in the past but in general the typical football fan might or might not even realize FCS is D1 and know who JMU is.
Exactly right. An average fan of Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama, Oregon or Texas knows JMU about as much as our average fan knew about Dixie State before they moved up. If we get called up to an FBS conference it might be the first time some of them have heard of us.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMad03 - 10-08-2021 08:52 AM

As for AAC's 'ruining their reputation'... hasn't it already been ruined by losing three schools and being turned down by AF and CSU?

If they actually feel like JMU is a good fit, it will not be 'ruining their reputation'.... only if we were to be an absolute bust.
And if anything, it wouldn't be 'AAC is calling up an FCS program? How desperate are they?'... but more like 'What do they see in JMU???'
They only care about the media. JMU has shown they can get positive media attention and bring fans and revenue- something many G5 schools cannot. Those are things the AAC would care about more than a label.
I'm not saying we are going AAC. Just saying that they are not really in a position where they have a super strong reputation and that taking an FCS would ruin all of that. It's already ruined.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Duke Dawg - 10-08-2021 08:55 AM

(10-08-2021 08:52 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  As for AAC's 'ruining their reputation'... hasn't it already been ruined by losing three schools and being turned down by AF and CSU?

If they actually feel like JMU is a good fit, it will not be 'ruining their reputation'.... only if we were to be an absolute bust.
And if anything, it wouldn't be 'AAC is calling up an FCS program? How desperate are they?'... but more like 'What do they see in JMU???'
They only care about the media. JMU has shown they can get positive media attention and bring fans and revenue- something many G5 schools cannot. Those are things the AAC would care about more than a label.
I'm not saying we are going AAC. Just saying that they are not really in a position where they have a super strong reputation and that taking an FCS would ruin all of that. It's already ruined.

most of the negative comments and "AAC will never taken an FCS" are from fans of schools that are worried. Worried because they know JMU is a sleeping giant and could be another UCF and at worst will be another App State. they want to keep us down for fear of what would happen if we moved up.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - bcp_jmu - 10-08-2021 09:04 AM

^ i seriously doubt that... people like good competition. Id posit that its just ignorance..they worry we are small time because they dont know us

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMad03 - 10-08-2021 09:43 AM

(10-08-2021 09:04 AM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  ^ i seriously doubt that... people like good competition. Id posit that its just ignorance..they worry we are small time because they dont know us

Yeah. People said it would be impossible for an FCS school to get College Gameday, yet that has happened many times now. All it took was one.
The issue is that no FCS school has ever done it, so others say it cannot be done. Many of those schools have experienced it first hand, so they refuse to even consider that another school could do something their school couldn't.
If the shoe was on the other foot, I would be saying the same exact thing. And they would be saying what we are saying.
I don't think it's likely that we will make it into the AAC, but it certainly isn't impossible. We know that they have had discussions in the past. If we weren't even remotely on their radar would they have even given us the time of day? And that was at a time when they were at full strength.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - MarginalDuke - 10-08-2021 09:49 AM

I would posit that JMU has pretty good recognition outside of the Mid Atlantic due to ESPN coverage within the last 6 years. I don't put too much stock in anecdotal data but as someone who has moved outside of the region to the Midwest, I figured that I would have to explain JMU to people. Friends, acquaintances, and strangers typically recognize JMU to some degree when I wear gear, especially those who follow sports. I've heard a mixture of "you're really good at that one level of football", "softball" to "great school", "great academics".

I would be curious to hear what others' experiences have been outside the region. I would believe that the JMU name is strongest from North Carolina to Connecticut but I would find it hard to believe that we are a nobody around the country. Recognition might be behind Marshall, App, (maybe Coastal at this point). I just hope JMU goes to a FBS conference (I don't care where) and sustains success to keep the progression going.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - CarRamrod - 10-08-2021 09:52 AM

(10-08-2021 09:43 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  
(10-08-2021 09:04 AM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  ^ i seriously doubt that... people like good competition. Id posit that its just ignorance..they worry we are small time because they dont know us

Yeah. People said it would be impossible for an FCS school to get College Gameday, yet that has happened many times now. All it took was one.
The issue is that no FCS school has ever done it, so others say it cannot be done. Many of those schools have experienced it first hand, so they refuse to even consider that another school could do something their school couldn't.
If the shoe was on the other foot, I would be saying the same exact thing. And they would be saying what we are saying.
I don't think it's likely that we will make it into the AAC, but it certainly isn't impossible. We know that they have had discussions in the past. If we weren't even remotely on their radar would they have even given us the time of day? And that was at a time when they were at full strength.

Yes, FCS to AAC with Houston, UCF, Cincinnati still around would probably be DOA. AAC that just got turned down by Colorado State and Air Force, JMU is at least in play now. There are no obvious adds that drastically move the needle on media deals, the difference between UNCC and App State in terms of eyes on games is a wash or App gets more. Is there a difference in the number of eyes on Houston and App, YES, UH would have significantly more interest! The difference between UNCC and JMU is probably similar. It has opened the door for Aresco to make a riskier play because there are no obvious choices at this point in terms of immediate media revenue.

Plus, if ESPN likes JMU, does it matter what Marshall fans think? Most folks on SB, CUSA, and AAC boards have zero clue on what JMUs budget is and what the athletic facilities are. They just know we have won some Natty's and hosted Gameday x2.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMad03 - 10-08-2021 10:07 AM

(10-08-2021 09:52 AM)CarRamrod Wrote:  
(10-08-2021 09:43 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  

Yes, FCS to AAC with Houston, UCF, Cincinnati still around would probably be DOA. AAC that just got turned down by Colorado State and Air Force, JMU is at least in play now. There are no obvious adds that drastically move the needle on media deals, the difference between UNCC and App State in terms of eyes on games is a wash or App gets more. Is there a difference in the number of eyes on Houston and App, YES, UH would have significantly more interest! The difference between UNCC and JMU is probably similar. It has opened the door for Aresco to make a riskier play because there are no obvious choices at this point in terms of immediate media revenue.

Plus, if ESPN likes JMU, does it matter what Marshall fans think? Most folks on SB, CUSA, and AAC boards have zero clue on what JMUs budget is and what the athletic facilities are. They just know we have won some Natty's and hosted Gameday x2.

I think you are giving them too much credit. Obviously some of them do know that, but I would not say that it is a large number or even a majority.
All that truly matters is what the decision makers think.
Several schools in the AAC know us very well because they lost to us. One of them was even a head coach here.
I believe the AAC is looking for more than just a football school. They are looking for a strong athletic program from top to bottom. For that reason I do not think App State is a major contender for the AAC. If they were looking for football only, App State would have to be at the top of their list. AAC seems to value basketball and their other programs as well.
JMU has at least shown a commitment to all sports and has had success in almost every program. Conferences know what we bring. We would have been FBS already if not for our administration turning offers down.
Times change. The time for FBS is now.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - NJDuke97 - 10-08-2021 10:20 AM

(10-08-2021 08:49 AM)JMaddy Wrote:  
(10-08-2021 08:42 AM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  

Exactly right. An average fan of Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama, Oregon or Texas knows JMU about as much as our average fan knew about Dixie State before they moved up. If we get called up to an FBS conference it might be the first time some of them have heard of us.
Gotcha and the avg fan knows UTSA right

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - bcp_jmu - 10-08-2021 10:21 AM

My experience from where I have worked / lived..

VA - obvious
NYC - bluebloods don't know JMU, most others seemed to
Colorado - nobody knows us
CA - nobody knows us
Chicago - mediocre? usually people ask sheepishly..."Is that James Mason U"? But there is a strong Alum chapter here