CSNbbs
Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-288.html)
+----- Forum: JMU Archives (/forum-1006.html)
+----- Thread: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 (/thread-909885.html)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - bcp_jmu - 09-30-2021 01:54 PM

maybe it's a shared stadium with someone else originally? like..the Oilers? it's 10x bigger than student population

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - All Dukes_All Day - 09-30-2021 01:57 PM

(09-30-2021 01:54 PM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  maybe it's a shared stadium with someone else originally? like..the Oilers? it's 10x bigger than student population

It makes sense when Texas, Texas A&M, Arkansas and Houston come to town regularly....not so much when it's Middle Tennessee or UAB.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - bcp_jmu - 09-30-2021 02:03 PM

thanks - makes sense...so they are the Northwester U of TX :)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - jmu98 - 09-30-2021 02:15 PM

(09-30-2021 02:03 PM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  thanks - makes sense...so they are the Northwester U of TX :)

That is pretty good comparison, but they are even less successful in the big 2 sports.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - DoubleDogDare - 09-30-2021 02:23 PM

Specifically from a media deal perspective, are there downsides to a hypothetical east coast conference? I could see a couple potential negatives. I doubt it materially impacts the dollar amount, especially went split amongst 10/12/14 schools. I also imagine the trade off of slightly lower revenue (mostly driven by basketball and football TV views) would be fully offset by drastically lower travel costs (mostly all other sports).

(1) TV broadcast options are reduced. The hypothetical AAC with AFA/CSU could choose games kicking off within a 9 hour time window, 12p EST to 9p EST (7p kickoff for AFA/CSU). They could basically engage conference viewership from 10a MT to 1a EST. If every team is in EST, that window is basically 12p EST to 10p EST. It also gives them a better chance of choosing the best two games to show in that the games are less likely to overlap (noting that TV schedule can drive kickoff times to avoid this).
(2) A random colorado citizen may watch this weekend's game ECU/UCF/Navy/etc game knowing that team is traveling to AFA or CSU next week, or having seen them play those schools last week. That random citizen would not be as drawn to the App State/CCU/Marshall game since nobody in colorado plays those teams during the season. Are there enough of these sort of casual eyeballs spanning the country to drive media value.
(3) National footprint/branding with hotspots in several cities/states versus regional branding. For example, the colorado newspaper and the local TV stations will now be talking about ECU/UCF/Temple football games whereas previously there was no press because they didn't matter.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - boozeNammo - 09-30-2021 02:30 PM

If the MWC had any balls, they'd grab (or try to grab) Memphis, SMU, and Tulsa. That would keep CSU and AFA right were they are currently at. That, and after all of the contracts are renegotiated (which they will be; the ESPN contracts have auto-renegotiation clauses tagged to membership), their media package could be valued more than the AAC. Fight back Mountain West!

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - PGJMU2 - 09-30-2021 02:58 PM

(09-30-2021 12:24 PM)bridgeforthduke Wrote:  So with SDSU and Boise State saying no thanks, the AAC can now decide to stay at 10 when they invite AFA and CSU, or go to the 12. UAB has been mentioned before as a candidate. But wonder who the 12th would be.

AAC staying at 10 would not be a good scenario for JMU. the more trickle down and the more impact on the sunbelt and cusa, the better

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - DBJMU2006 - 09-30-2021 03:30 PM

As recently as 1996 Rice was in a conference with
Arkansas
Baylor
Texas
Texas A&M
SMU
TCU
Texas Tech
Houston

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - bcp_jmu - 09-30-2021 03:55 PM

That's like WM, Rich and Elon being in the CAA

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - All Dukes_All Day - 09-30-2021 03:55 PM

(09-30-2021 03:30 PM)DBJMU2006 Wrote:  As recently as 1996 Rice was in a conference with
Arkansas
Baylor
Texas
Texas A&M
SMU
TCU
Texas Tech
Houston

Not to be pedantic here but Arkansas had had left that conference for the SEC a few years prior.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMad03 - 09-30-2021 04:04 PM

(09-30-2021 02:58 PM)PGJMU2 Wrote:  
(09-30-2021 12:24 PM)bridgeforthduke Wrote:  So with SDSU and Boise State saying no thanks, the AAC can now decide to stay at 10 when they invite AFA and CSU, or go to the 12. UAB has been mentioned before as a candidate. But wonder who the 12th would be.

AAC staying at 10 would not be a good scenario for JMU. the more trickle down and the more impact on the sunbelt and cusa, the better

Not sure about that. I think JMU will be going wherever Marshall is. However, if Marshall gets an AAC invite, we could be screwed as I don't see the AAC extending an invite to us.
The more pieces that move, the longer we may have to wait to see how the conferences look.
JMU wants a conference of regional foes, which is why the current build of the Sun Belt is a no to JMU. Only one opponent in App State that is within driving distance. If that number increases by adding a school or two, then Sun Belt becomes an option.
If that doesn't happen, it's CUSA or nothing.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - SlyFox - 09-30-2021 04:29 PM

With every day that passes it appears to me that both JMU & Liberty will be staying right where we are until the next round of realignment. I hope that I am wrong.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - bcp_jmu - 09-30-2021 05:12 PM

That's not so bad for Liberty

For JMU, seems it would be a serious dagger

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMaddy - 09-30-2021 05:43 PM

(09-30-2021 04:29 PM)SlyFox Wrote:  With every day that passes it appears to me that both JMU & Liberty will be staying right where we are until the next round of realignment. I hope that I am wrong.

what next round? 2040?

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - boozeNammo - 09-30-2021 06:07 PM

If there's anything we've learned, its that there will be more changes no matter what. Probably in three to five years, or, next year.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - bcp_jmu - 09-30-2021 06:14 PM

Up to a year... i can do ... more than that and it's just gone tortuous

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - THUNDERStruck73 - 09-30-2021 06:53 PM

(09-30-2021 01:54 PM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  maybe it's a shared stadium with someone else originally? like..the Oilers? it's 10x bigger than student population

It was built for Rice, replacing Rice Field (37,000). U of H played there briefly also.

The stadium was home to the Bluebonnet Bowl and also home to the Oilers pre Astrodome. It also hosted Super Bowl 8.

In good condition with the tarps removed, the capacity is 70,000.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - herdfan129 - 09-30-2021 06:57 PM

(09-30-2021 01:34 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  But Rice doesn’t provide media eyeballs needed for ESPN contracts due to a small alumni base. I would be shocked if they were invited to the AAC.

They don’t even draw well in their home with attendance lower than JMU over the last 5 years.

Yeah but they have brand name recognition as they shared a conference with Texas and the others for years at one point.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Hart Foundation - 09-30-2021 07:37 PM

Realignment is not about name brand recognition. It is about how many media eyeballs a program supplies to ESPN for the value of the contract to be high. The AAC wants to give back as little as possible of the $85 million per year it is being paid now.

Sun Belt and CUSA are both less than $12 million per year.

The gap will close some for sure with 3 teams gone but there will still be a large gap. Rice does not move the media needle. And has little potential for growth with only 1,500 graduating per year.

Marshall is a better media addition than Rice, although not a premium option themselves either.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - herdfan129 - 09-30-2021 08:26 PM

(09-30-2021 07:37 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Realignment is not about name brand recognition. It is about how many media eyeballs a program supplies to ESPN for the value of the contract to be high. The AAC wants to give back as little as possible of the $85 million per year it is being paid now.

Sun Belt and CUSA are both less than $12 million per year.

The gap will close some for sure with 3 teams gone but there will still be a large gap. Rice does not move the media needle. And has little potential for growth with only 1,500 graduating per year.

Marshall is a better media addition than Rice, although not a premium option themselves either.

Marshall numbers are just as good if not better than Boise's....so we aren't Alabama but we are one of the Top G5s in terms of drawing TV viewers.

Marshall Average rating per channel since 2013:

ESPN: 1.804 Million
CBS: 1.25 Million
ESPN2: 751,757
ESPNU: 435,500
FS1: 283,667