CSNbbs
Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-288.html)
+----- Forum: JMU Archives (/forum-1006.html)
+----- Thread: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 (/thread-909885.html)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - FBS Dave - 11-30-2020 12:38 PM

(11-30-2020 11:10 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  
(11-30-2020 10:59 AM)FBS Dave Wrote:  The bowl games are not very high on the priority list, imho. Especially in the era of CFP, there is really not much magic left in the bowl system. They are exhibitions that are generally poorly attended. The eyes are on the CFP and that will only add more teams in the future.

If Liberty wins out and remains ranked it is a far greater achievement than going to a bowl featuring .500 teams that finished 4th in their G5 conference, and obviously far greater than an FCS playoff.

Flawed logic Dave- if Liberty isn’t going to get the G5 vs P5 NYD slot because they will be blocked (just like App was) by whoever the best AAC team is each year and the playoffs aren’t expanding from 4 to 8 all they have left is a regular bowl game. If as an independent they have no bowl Tie ins it’s a big void in the Independent football path. It’s one thing to be Indy and Army, Notre Dame and BYU where you have bowl
Paths because of who you are - it’s another to be UConn Umass NM State or Liberty where you have no path.

Flawed logic is being afraid to move up to FBS because you are uncertain of the level of bowl you may get in the coming years. The point is, even if Liberty is to finished ranked and not go to a bowl, it’s still much more valuable than the FCS playoffs.

That’s the baseline. More likely bowls will seek to have high performing independents over time. Even so, they are just exhibitions outside of the CFP.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Duke Dawg - 11-30-2020 01:27 PM

(11-30-2020 11:28 AM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  not sure how much planning we should do from a super-speculative tweet..after all, they did get an invite last year to a bowl

difference circumstances. this year the rules are all out the window.

once the NCAA allowed teams with losing records to get bowl invites, it was all but certain the P5 was going to take all they could.

almost all bowls have tie ins with leagues, both G5 and P5. and they do not want to rock any boats of those relationships by not taking a conference member when they have the chance this year due to the relaxed open season rules the NCAA is allowing.

which is why it seems very plausible and likely LU gets screwed this year.

one just needs to look at the TV ratings this year to see LU does not move the needle at all, despite having a fine season.

And with no fans, these games are even more going to be made for tv exhibitions. So the bowls and networks will want P5 teams involved as its a proven fact they bring 5 times the eyeballs that LU would.

conference affiliation matters. FBS Dave is just a troll trying to stir the pot and many of you continue to take the bait.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - For the Dukes - 11-30-2020 02:06 PM

(11-30-2020 01:27 PM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  
(11-30-2020 11:28 AM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  not sure how much planning we should do from a super-speculative tweet..after all, they did get an invite last year to a bowl

once the NCAA allowed teams with losing records to get bowl invites, it was all but certain the P5 was going to take all they could.

almost all bowls have tie ins with leagues, both G5 and P5. and they do not want to rock any boats of those relationships by not taking a conference member when they have the chance this year due to the relaxed open season rules the NCAA is allowing.

one just needs to look at the TV ratings this year to see LU does not move the needle at all, despite having a fine season.

And with no fans, these games are even more going to be made for tv exhibitions. So the bowls and networks will want P5 teams involved as its a proven fact they bring 5 times the eyeballs that LU would.

conference affiliation matters. FBS Dave is just a troll trying to stir the pot and many of you continue to take the bait.

I’d bet they’ll get a bowl invite. We’ll check back in a couple weeks and see who’s right. Also I don’t think it’s fair to say they’re having a “fine” season. They’re ranked in the top 25 and beat two acc teams. Their season is better than anything we’ve done.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Duke Dawg - 11-30-2020 02:09 PM

(11-30-2020 02:06 PM)For the Dukes Wrote:  

I’d bet they’ll get a bowl invite. We’ll check back in a couple weeks and see who’s right. Also I don’t think it’s fair to say they’re having a “fine” season. They’re ranked in the top 25 and beat two acc teams. Their season is better than anything we’ve done.

A) i didn't say it would happen for sure, just that i can see it plausible
B) i don't really care either way. I don't have LU envy.

Brett McMurphy is a pretty well connected CF beat writer, so the fact he even tweeted that and it is a possibility is pretty alarming.

you can guarantee any 10-1 team in a conference is not even "on the bubble" for a bowl invite. they'd be locked in for sure.

here are espn's latest projections:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30413502/college-football-bowl-projections-week-13

LU vs UCF in Boca Raton

Coastal vs Buffalo in Montgomery, AL.... or
Coastal vs UAB in Mobile, AL

# of projected bowl matchups against P5 for MAC/CUSA/SB conferences: 0

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - FBS Dave - 11-30-2020 02:18 PM

Leaders lead, or they don’t.

When they don’t they are empowered to static inertia with the slogs that can only see the status quo and they accept the inaction. Duke Dawg is such a slog. It’s slogs like Duke Dawg that inspired the quote “if you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem”.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - For the Dukes - 11-30-2020 02:18 PM

(11-30-2020 02:09 PM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  
(11-30-2020 02:06 PM)For the Dukes Wrote:  

A) i didn't say it would happen for sure, just that i can see it plausible
B) i don't really care either way. I don't have LU envy.

Brett McMurphy is a pretty well connected CF beat writer, so the fact he even tweeted that and it is a possibility is pretty alarming.

you can guarantee any 10-1 team in a conference is not even "on the bubble" for a bowl invite. they'd be locked in for sure.

here are espn's latest projections:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30413502/college-football-bowl-projections-week-13

LU vs UCF in Boca Raton

Coastal vs Buffalo in Montgomery, AL.... or
Coastal vs UAB in Mobile, AL

# of projected bowl matchups against P5 for MAC/CUSA/SB conferences: 0

Playing UCF would be fun. If I was a Coastal fan I wouldn’t be thrilled playing UAB or Buffalo, but I definitely would have had an amazing time being ranked in the top 15 for most of the season. Different strokes for different folks but I’d happily trade that season for losing the title game to NDSU or a loss to Colgate in the playoffs

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - THUNDERStruck73 - 11-30-2020 03:30 PM

(11-30-2020 10:59 AM)FBS Dave Wrote:  The bowl games are not very high on the priority list, imho. Especially in the era of CFP, there is really not much magic left in the bowl system. They are exhibitions that are generally poorly attended. The eyes are on the CFP and that will only add more teams in the future.

That is just not true at all. The bowls are huge to the players and most of the opponents are exciting as they are teams we haven’t ever played (with a few exceptions). There are festivities the entire week prior and the players get out and tour the local scenery as a team. The gift options that players can choose from or receive are pretty big as well. Some bowls give out Playstations, one this year is giving out 60” TVs, some give out Beatz, others have gift suites where the players can choose from multiple gifts.

As far as them not being well-attended:

L 1997 Motor City Bowl vs. Ole Miss (43,430)
W 1998 Motor City Bowl vs. Louisville (32,206)
W 1999 Motor City Bowl vs. #25 BYU (52,449)
W 2000 Motor City Bowl vs. Cincinnati (52,911)
W 2001 GMAC Bowl vs. ECU (40,139)
W 2002 GMAC Bowl vs. Louisville (40,646)
L 2004 Ft. Worth Bowl vs. Cincinnati (27,902)
W 2009 Little Caesar’s Pizza Bowl vs. Ohio (30,311)
W 2011 Beef O’Brady’s Bowl vs. FIU (20,027)*
W 2013 Military Bowl vs. Maryland (30,163)
W 2014 Boca Raton Bowl vs. NIU (29,419)
W 2015 St. Petersburg Bowl vs. UCONN (14,652)*
W 2017 New Mexico Bowl vs. Colorado St. (26,087)
W 2018 Gasparilla Bowl vs. South Fla. (14,135 - In a monsoon)*
L 2019 Gasparilla Bowl vs. UCF (28,987)

So there were only three bowls we have played in where the attendance was lower than our average attendance for the year (@25000).

To the JMU poster who was asking about Liberty’s Bowl tie-ins:
For 2020, they have an agreement with ESPN for six bowls: Frisco, Myrtle Beach, Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, Boca Raton Bowl, New Mexico Bowl, and the Camellia Bowl. What I am not certain of is if these are secondary tie-ins or not.

That is going to matter because there are seven bowls not being played this season: Bahamas, Hawai’i, Celebration, Fenway, Holiday, Quick Lane, and Redbox. The Fenway Bowl will be replaced with the Montgomery Bowl this year. So twelve teams are not going to go bowling that would otherwise go.

CUSA is directly affected because of our tie-ins to the Bahamas and Hawai’i bowl, so we will have two of our teams not going.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - NC Tribe - 11-30-2020 04:10 PM

(11-30-2020 03:30 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  

That is just not true at all. The bowls are huge to the players and most of the opponents are exciting as they are teams we haven’t ever played (with a few exceptions). There are festivities the entire week prior and the players get out and tour the local scenery as a team. The gift options that players can choose from or receive are pretty big as well. Some bowls give out Playstations, one this year is giving out 60” TVs, some give out Beatz, others have gift suites where the players can choose from multiple gifts.

So there were only three bowls we have played in where the attendance was lower than our average attendance for the year (@25000).

For 2020, they have an agreement with ESPN for six bowls: Frisco, Myrtle Beach, Famous Idaho Potato Bowl, Boca Raton Bowl, New Mexico Bowl, and the Camellia Bowl. What I am not certain of is if these are secondary tie-ins or not.

That is going to matter because there are seven bowls not being played this season: Bahamas, Hawai’i, Celebration, Fenway, Holiday, Quick Lane, and Redbox. The Fenway Bowl will be replaced with the Montgomery Bowl this year. So twelve teams are not going to go bowling that would otherwise go.

CUSA is directly affected because of our tie-ins to the Bahamas and Hawai’i bowl, so we will have two of our teams not going.

Pinstripe bowl is out this year as well.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - FBS Dave - 11-30-2020 04:50 PM

(11-30-2020 03:30 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  

Those aren't huge crowds. Averaging a bit over 20,000 for the last 4 years isn't great. Some bowls have even less attendance. Also, sometimes the gate numbers are less than the sold attendance.

My larger point remains: Having a great FBS regular season schedule and ending up ranked is enough to surpass the greatest FCS season. The potato bowl or the sarsaparillo bowl is just a bonus.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Curtisc83 - 11-30-2020 05:07 PM

I just read on the SBC board College Game Day is headed to CCU vs Liberty game. Not sure if that is true but if so it’s big for CCU and LU.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - jmudukes001 - 11-30-2020 06:25 PM

(11-30-2020 05:07 PM)Curtisc83 Wrote:  I just read on the SBC board College Game Day is headed to CCU vs Liberty game. Not sure if that is true but if so it’s big for CCU and LU.

That is great to hear. Some of us were predicting that a few weeks ago. It has been great to follow these two schools this season, and I hope Liberty can beat them. Both of them have had incredible seasons, and tbey are both teams that we should be playing. Can’t imagine how crazy the JMU nation would be with a season like that.

Both teams are ranked, and the game will be on EspnU.

By the way, I would love to be at a point where we were playing UCF in a bowl game next month. That would be awesome.

https://mobile.twitter.com/collegegameday?lang=en

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - White Hall - 11-30-2020 08:55 PM

(11-30-2020 06:25 PM)jmudukes001 Wrote:  
(11-30-2020 05:07 PM)Curtisc83 Wrote:  I just read on the SBC board College Game Day is headed to CCU vs Liberty game. Not sure if that is true but if so it’s big for CCU and LU.

That is great to hear. Some of us were predicting that a few weeks ago. It has been great to follow these two schools this season, and I hope Liberty can beat them. Both of them have had incredible seasons, and tbey are both teams that we should be playing. Can’t imagine how crazy the JMU nation would be with a season like that.

Both teams are ranked, and the game will be on EspnU.

By the way, I would love to be at a point where we were playing UCF in a bowl game next month. That would be awesome.

Didn’t many FCS lifers say JMU would have never gotten College Game Day if we had jumped to FBS because they would never go to a Sun Belt or CUSA game?

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMUNation - 11-30-2020 09:11 PM

I am not aware of any FCS lifers on here. Can you please identify them?

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Duke Dawg - 11-30-2020 09:18 PM

They went to the Masters this year for Gameday.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Hart Foundation - 11-30-2020 09:53 PM

Back to the future. JMU beat UCF 49-31 in 1991 and lost to them 41-37 in 1992 during the Rip Scherer years. They were once a peer FCS 1-AA program. 28 YEARS AGO.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - jmudukes001 - 11-30-2020 10:45 PM

(11-30-2020 09:53 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  

Back to the future. JMU beat UCF 49-31 in 1991 and lost to them 41-37 in 1992 during the Rip Scherer years. They were once a peer FCS 1-AA program. 28 YEARS AGO.

Yes, I was at that game in 1991 when we hosted UCF. We hosted GA Southern that season too and played App State some around that time too. Lucky to be a student at that time with both Rip and Lefty coaching.

Good for Coastal getting Gameday. Should be a fun game to watch against Liberty. Hopefully it gets played. Would have been amazing if Liberty had made that last second FG against NC State, and both teams were undefeated with Liberty 3-0 against the ACC.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMUNation - 12-01-2020 12:53 AM

It is great to see non power 5 schools having success. I root for the underdog every chance I get. I will root for Liberty, Coastal, Marshall and App anytime they play a P5 school.

To make a move to FBS it takes a school President who wants it to happen and an AD to then orchestrate the move. Many of you point the finger at Bourne. President Rose said “not on my watch”. Alger has shown he isn’t going to push for such a move either. There is no guarantee the next President will move JMU to FBS.It is very possible JMU won’t move until forced to do so.

CAA Football seems to be on fragile footing. Any school or group of schools can leave without paying an exit fee. What happens if a large group of schools decide to leave the CAA to play in another league? Does CAA Football rebuild or do the remaining schools go elsewhere too? The Big South and So Con have room to add schools. The A10 or America East could sponsor football and take part of the league.

There are only five football schools that play all sports in the CAA. If the six schools that play football only leave, what happens? Does W&M go to the Patriot for all sports? Elon heads back to the So Con? Richmond plays football only in the Patriot like Fordham and Georgetown?

We are seeing other FCS schools change conferences. It’s possible CAA football is in for changes too. I believe there is change on the horizon due to the loses experienced with COVID.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Madison 91 Forever - 12-01-2020 07:20 AM

Can we have a thread for actual, you know, rumors, and could this and the previous thread be retitled "Endless and Repetitive Griping and Moaning and Baseless Speculation about JMU's FCS status"? 03-banghead

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - fishingduke12 - 12-01-2020 07:23 AM

(12-01-2020 07:20 AM)Madison 91 Forever Wrote:  Can we have a thread for actual, you know, rumors, and could this and the previous thread be retitled "Endless and Repetitive Griping and Moaning and Baseless Speculation about JMU's FCS status"? 03-banghead

no

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMUNation - 12-01-2020 08:30 AM

My post is not baseless speculation. I posted an article in one of the threads recently about the lack of athletics harmony between the CAA schools. W&M is rumored to be heading to the Patriot league. The northern CAA football schools recently voted on a spring schedule where they don’t play the southern schools. Is the spring schedule a precursor to a more permanent arrangement? The northern schools all canceled fall football very quickly leaving JMU and Elon to scramble to make a schedule. This along with the 9-1 vote for the Flo contract with JMU being the lone no vote. Bourne publicly stated in his most recent dialogue his unhappiness with the Flo contract. To the best of my knowledge, he has never publicly denounced a conference decision during his tenure.

Where there is smoke there is fire. JMU is clearly not happy with the CAA at this time and the CAA northern membership may have grown tired of the beat downs in football JMU has put on them. This and the fact that travel costs could be cut significantly for northern schools if they broke off from the southern ones. It is quite obvious to me that the northern football schools don’t have the same commitment to football that Elon and JMU have. There is nothing baseless about my comments.