CSNbbs
Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-288.html)
+----- Forum: JMU Archives (/forum-1006.html)
+----- Thread: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 (/thread-909885.html)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - DukeQuin - 09-21-2021 10:50 AM

(09-21-2021 10:12 AM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  Again going back to herdfan's info, he said a while back that the idea of a new conference is dead because ESPN told them that they already have all the G5 deals they're doing and a new one wouldn't be getting a deal with ESPN. So if that's accurate then sadly that dream is dead. Seemed like a long shot anyway, but one that would be incredible if it panned out.

But yeah if Marshall/ODU go Sun Belt you've gotta think and hope JMU is doing everything they can to avoid getting left out of that. Personally if there isn't a lot of change to either conference I'd be happy with CUSA or Sun Belt but especially Sun Belt. Both have a west division we wouldn't be thrilled about but an east we can be pretty happy with. Sun Belt especially has had a lot of success in football since we last turned them down.

One thing I think we can pretty safely say now with hindsight is that going Sun Belt/CUSA last time around would've been really unlikely to get us the AAC invite this time. They're still chasing marketz and to hell with everything else. App State has been very successful but doesn't seem like they even got a second thought. Sure we have a bigger budget and better facilities than App so maybe that could've made a difference but I doubt it. Look at UTSA's basketball arena and history of football records. The things we think should matter seem to be pretty much irrelevant to the AAC. I hope it bites them while we enjoy actual good football in the new Fun Belt.

The one other unifying factor seems to be that a lot of the schools being mentioned are willing to spend money. Colorado State just recently opened a $220m stadium. Texas-San Antonio just opened a $44m sports practice facility and has included new stadiums and upgraded facilities in its long-term plan. There's a host of reasons why CSU and UTSA may not be great candidates for the AAC (and vice-versa), but it's not crazy to think "high-grade research public universities in well-off urban areas that are willing to spend, long-term, on athletics" is a niche to stay in.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Anders - 09-21-2021 11:32 AM

Don’t do this to us, coach. Don’t give us hope.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - CarRamrod - 09-21-2021 11:37 AM

(09-21-2021 11:32 AM)Anders Wrote:  

Y'all wanted some smoke, Coach Cig bringin' the smoke!

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - boozeNammo - 09-21-2021 11:38 AM

Whoa. That's tantalizing. Wonder if he's throwing the fans a bone or if that's a slip of the lip.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - ShadyP - 09-21-2021 11:40 AM

(09-21-2021 11:38 AM)boozeNammo Wrote:  

Whoa. That's tantalizing. Wonder if he's throwing the fans a bone or if that's a slip of the lip.

To me, that is pretty telling for someone as close to the vest and closed lip as Cig tends to be.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - CarRamrod - 09-21-2021 11:42 AM

(09-21-2021 11:38 AM)boozeNammo Wrote:  

It would seem if something were going to happen soon that Cig would want to start telling recruits ASAP, or in the interim, dropping not-so-subtle hints.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMad03 - 09-21-2021 11:42 AM

(09-21-2021 11:37 AM)CarRamrod Wrote:  

Y'all wanted some smoke, Coach Cig bringin' the smoke!

Wow, I think I almost saw a spark!
That's the closest anyone at JMU has been to saying FBS as I've ever heard.
Why would he make a comment like that if JMU has no intention to move up?
I think the answer is simple: JMU is at least talking and the talking is starting to get real.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - olddawg - 09-21-2021 11:50 AM

"Coach Cignetti....Mr Bourne wants to see you immediately in the hauler"

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Rock House Duke - 09-21-2021 11:51 AM

Give us more CC!

Btw, I love how CC does not always speak with a filter. If you catch him right, he is pretty straightforward about anything you ask him.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - olddawg - 09-21-2021 12:01 PM

(09-21-2021 11:51 AM)Rock House Duke Wrote:  Give us more CC!

Btw, I love how CC does not always speak with a filter. If you catch him right, he is pretty straightforward about anything you ask him.

It's refreshing and it makes sense. His Dad coached w/ Bobby Bowden when Curt was growing up. Bobby was one of those coaches who was definitely old school (and I'm sure Frank Cignetti Sr was the same way). Sadly, Bowden finished up his career in an era when you had to be extra careful about what you said and be PC at all times. Really took the fun out of his interviews!

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - KickItToScotty - 09-21-2021 12:01 PM

I hope it means something, could just be to try and get a little bump in recruiting with or without a move. Remember a few years back we had a QB commit who in an interview about his commitment said we're going CUSA soon? I forget who it was.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Dukester - 09-21-2021 12:30 PM

I certainly see that as a great spark, perhaps the best since JB said he thought "in about 18 months" back around 2015.

I have no doubt they believe, but as I've learned in business, and with JMU until it happens, you never know. Fluid situations can move very quickly in one way or another.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Dadgum - 09-21-2021 12:33 PM

Add ever changing landscapes to fluid situations and boy do you really have a tough monitoring job on your hands.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - herdfan129 - 09-21-2021 12:56 PM

This is not inside info like some of my previous posts, this is just speculation on my part (based off of things I have been told.)

If CUSA loses a few Texas teams, I think that would change things in terms of wanting to move to the Sun Belt conference. CUSA East is a good regional conference as is to be honest. If we lose 2+ western teams, then I think Marshall/ODU/Charlotte would push to invite both JMU and Liberty. This would drastically shift the conference East and make our division even more regional. Plus I think JMU and Liberty are the best two option out there (other than App, Louisiana, and right now Coastal.)

New CUSA

Marshall
ODU
Charlotte
WKU
MTSU
So Miss
La Tech
FAU
FIU
+ 1-3 of the following Rice/UTEP/North Texas/UTSA

However, there's a good chance we lose most of the Texas schools throughout this process. I think there's a good chance UTSA and UAB go to the AAC. I then think there's a good chance the MWC takes Rice and either North Texas or UTEP. That would leave CUSA at 10 schools with only North Texas or UTEP still in Texas.

I think our first attempt would be to go after Louisana, App St, Ga So, and Coastal, but I don't think that will happen.

Either way, I think JMU has another chance to move up this go around. To where and how it will look I think is unknown though.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - James Madison - 09-21-2021 01:27 PM

https://www.dnronline.com/sports/college/cignetti-plans-with-a-potential-jump-in-mind/article_0d019c8d-5c26-532b-879b-5ea6e422fa0f.html

Link to Greg’s newest article where he mentions his interview with Cig

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - PurpleStreamers - 09-21-2021 01:39 PM

(09-21-2021 01:27 PM)James Madison Wrote:  https://www.dnronline.com/sports/college/cignetti-plans-with-a-potential-jump-in-mind/article_0d019c8d-5c26-532b-879b-5ea6e422fa0f.html

Pretty clear from the additional "absolutely, every day" that HCCC was not messing around or slipping up in his quote. But also important to note the last paragraph of Madia's article for context. Like many high-end FCS teams, Dukes are way over the 63 schollie limit already because of Covid-flexibility so knowing how many schollies they have to work with in 22, 23, and beyond is more important than ever in recruiting at the moment. In other words, if JMU isn't moving that's just as important to know in 'cruitin' as it is if something actually is brewing.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - NJDuke97 - 09-21-2021 01:41 PM

(09-21-2021 12:56 PM)herdfan129 Wrote:  This is not inside info like some of my previous posts, this is just speculation on my part (based off of things I have been told.)

If CUSA loses a few Texas teams, I think that would change things in terms of wanting to move to the Sun Belt conference. CUSA East is a good regional conference as is to be honest. If we lose 2+ western teams, then I think Marshall/ODU/Charlotte would push to invite both JMU and Liberty. This would drastically shift the conference East and make our division even more regional. Plus I think JMU and Liberty are the best two option out there (other than App, Louisiana, and right now Coastal.)

New CUSA

Marshall
ODU
Charlotte
WKU
MTSU
So Miss
La Tech
FAU
FIU

However, there's a good chance we lose most of the Texas schools throughout this process. I think there's a good chance UTSA and UAB go to the AAC. I then think there's a good chance the MWC takes Rice and either North Texas or UTEP. That would leave CUSA at 10 schools with only North Texas or UTEP still in Texas.

I think our first attempt would be to go after Louisana, App St, Ga So, and Coastal, but I don't think that will happen.

Either way, I think JMU has another chance to move up this go around. To where and how it will look I think is unknown though.
I have heard La Tech would be against Louisiana being in the same conference or vice Versa/ is that true? I wonder the same for New Mexico and New Mexico State in the Mw. Also I wonder if El Paso is such an outlier that they get left behind and MW grabs Houston and Denton instead.

I think if you’re JMU you don’t mind being in a conference with Rice or even North Texas- easier to get to and we have a growing present in terms of alumni there but El Paso is something that most Cusa eastern schools don’t want to deal with in terms of travel. Yet it’s relatively close to NM so I hope for everyone’s sake they end up back filling the MW spots if the Mountain West loses the Colorado schools.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMad03 - 09-21-2021 02:13 PM

(09-21-2021 01:39 PM)PurpleStreamers Wrote:  
(09-21-2021 01:27 PM)James Madison Wrote:  https://www.dnronline.com/sports/college/cignetti-plans-with-a-potential-jump-in-mind/article_0d019c8d-5c26-532b-879b-5ea6e422fa0f.html

Pretty clear from the additional "absolutely, every day" that HCCC was not messing around or slipping up in his quote. But also important to note the last paragraph of Madia's article for context. Like many high-end FCS teams, Dukes are way over the 63 schollie limit already because of Covid-flexibility so knowing how many schollies they have to work with in 22, 23, and beyond is more important than ever in recruiting at the moment. In other words, if JMU isn't moving that's just as important to know in 'cruitin' as it is if something actually is brewing.

I agree. Wouldn't that mean that the amount of scholarships next year would be severely limited due to that?
The last time there were talks of FBS, we got practically nothing from JMU nor the head coach in this regard. So I definitely agree there is something to his comment. I don't think it's coach speak, either. They need to know with the numbers they are dealing with. I would like to say that perhaps that will speed up the timeline in regards to an announcement. However, I do think if there is no announcement that JMU will try to squash the rumors pretty quick so they can move on.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - MarginalDuke - 09-21-2021 02:24 PM

(09-21-2021 02:13 PM)JMad03 Wrote:  
(09-21-2021 01:39 PM)PurpleStreamers Wrote:  

I agree. Wouldn't that mean that the amount of scholarships next year would be severely limited due to that?
The last time there were talks of FBS, we got practically nothing from JMU nor the head coach in this regard. So I definitely agree there is something to his comment. I don't think it's coach speak, either. They need to know with the numbers they are dealing with. I would like to say that perhaps that will speed up the timeline in regards to an announcement. However, I do think if there is no announcement that JMU will try to squash the rumors pretty quick so they can move on.

So as of now we know that we have 13 commits going into next year. Cignetti has eluded to picking up some depth at WR, OL, and maybe CB, so that number could get larger. By my count I believe we have 19 seniors on this roster.

Does anyone know if we can move to 85 scholarships in the first transition year? I know a lot of folks have talked about the perfect timing if we started the two year transition period next season so we would be fully integrated to FBS when the conferences actually change in 2024.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - herdfan129 - 09-21-2021 03:03 PM

(09-21-2021 01:41 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  
(09-21-2021 12:56 PM)herdfan129 Wrote:  This is not inside info like some of my previous posts, this is just speculation on my part (based off of things I have been told.)

New CUSA

Marshall
ODU
Charlotte
WKU
MTSU
So Miss
La Tech
FAU
FIU

I have heard La Tech would be against Louisiana being in the same conference or vice Versa/ is that true? I wonder the same for New Mexico and New Mexico State in the Mw. Also I wonder if El Paso is such an outlier that they get left behind and MW grabs Houston and Denton instead.

I think if you’re JMU you don’t mind being in a conference with Rice or even North Texas- easier to get to and we have a growing present in terms of alumni there but El Paso is something that most Cusa eastern schools don’t want to deal with in terms of travel. Yet it’s relatively close to NM so I hope for everyone’s sake they end up back filling the MW spots if the Mountain West loses the Colorado schools.

When it comes down to it I think the only team La Tech would block would be ULM which is irrelevant since no one wants to add them anyways. I also don't think La Tech would ever join the SBC as long as ULM is still there.

As for New Mexico State, there's no doubt New Mexico blocks them from the MWC, but that's also easier with how terrible their football program is. In terms of the MWC, I think the only thing UTEP currently has going for them is location and I believe history with some of those teams. UTEP is pretty close to New Mexico.

1-2 Texas teams wouldn't be bad for CUSA imo. I could live with that.