CSNbbs
Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-288.html)
+----- Forum: JMU Archives (/forum-1006.html)
+----- Thread: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 (/thread-909885.html)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - jmufan2008 - 09-20-2021 03:42 PM

Yeah, at this point it'd be silly to not go all in on trying to get into the SBC, no matter if we bring others along with us or not. It's by far the best group of non-P5 regional schools for us in FBS. If we can make a package deal with a few other schools then even better. SBC is the only G5 conference that seems to be raising their profile over the past few years. CUSA and AAC are or are becoming dumpster fires. Let's hope Bourne, King, and Alger are calling around and drumming up support (which from the sounds of it, they are).

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - James Madison - 09-20-2021 04:21 PM

(09-20-2021 03:42 PM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  Yeah, at this point it'd be silly to not go all in on trying to get into the SBC, no matter if we bring others along with us or not. It's by far the best group of non-P5 regional schools for us in FBS. If we can make a package deal with a few other schools then even better. SBC is the only G5 conference that seems to be raising their profile over the past few years. CUSA and AAC are or are becoming dumpster fires. Let's hope Bourne, King, and Alger are calling around and drumming up support (which from the sounds of it, they are).

The AAC is attractive to me now only in name and in having ECU. With the recent developments in the conference, the Sunbelt is a better place to play football. Especially if we can join with Marshall and ODU

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - hburg - 09-20-2021 04:53 PM

On the AAC...wondering who that 4th school is. They are awfully quiet on who that might be...

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - NJDuke97 - 09-20-2021 05:07 PM

For the CAA 4 Life JMU “fans” I don’t see how that scenario is a possibility. The need and motivation still exists on all sides. Even if Cusa only loses one in Uab there will likely be another East add - barring some kind of Army football only deal which would likely need a non football all sports East partner to work the other add would have to come from East. I really don’t see that being Liberty so that would have to be from Sun Belt or Cusa as well. The teams who don’t join the American from Cusa and Sun Belt would still have a desire to improve their conference and the Sun Bet will be motivated to keep momentum and capitalize against the AAC while Cusa will likely have an open spot or two.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - NJDuke97 - 09-20-2021 05:11 PM

(09-20-2021 04:53 PM)hburg Wrote:  On the AAC...wondering who that 4th school is. They are awfully quiet on who that might be...

I guess maybe they still shoot for Boise and work our geography later or Army?

Wonder what the Mountain West will do- would they consider North Dakota State and a travel partner?

Either way JMU wins IMO - we get the last American spot or we get into a better version of the Sun Belt snd keep beating American teams on the field moving forward.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - PGJMU2 - 09-20-2021 05:14 PM

(09-20-2021 05:11 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  
(09-20-2021 04:53 PM)hburg Wrote:  On the AAC...wondering who that 4th school is. They are awfully quiet on who that might be...

I guess maybe they still shoot for Boise and work our geography later or Army?

Wonder what the Mountain West will do- would they consider North Dakota State and a travel partner?

Either way JMU wins IMO - we get the last American spot or we get into a better version of the Sun Belt snd keep beating American teams on the field moving forward.

we just need movement. Anything touching CUSA and SB is good for us. The more disruption the better. If CUSA and SB remain unscathed, that could be problematic.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - NJDuke97 - 09-20-2021 05:20 PM

Btw if the 4th isn’t from a group of JMU Liberty Coastal Odu Georgia State Georgia Southern and App State and JMU lands in a conference with those schools isn’t the criticism that JMU missed the boat and should have moved up earlier so they would be considered by the American moot? If the American doesn’t take any of those schools and instead goes with Mountain West and old Cusa schools that predate these move ups of their peers I don’t see how you could say that JMU Football could have flourished more over the last 8 years on their current division and conference and how they would have missed out on something.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - MarginalDuke - 09-20-2021 05:23 PM

ESPN just flexed EWU-Montana onto ESPN2 from ESPNU. Sam Herder said that Big Sky gets two ESPNU games with their deal. We need to get away from the CAA who picks Flo then uses the Flo payout to buy CBS basketball TV slots. I’m really hoping for a Sun Belt invite at this juncture…

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Purple - 09-20-2021 06:19 PM

(09-20-2021 11:32 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  UAB to the west and Georgia St. to the East. That brings them to 12. If they can locate another western team that fits their mold, Charlotte would bring them to 14 teams. If they are going to attempt to compete with the P5, 12-14 teams seems like the right size.

JMU, Marshall and S. Miss to the Sunbelt would be a good move for all involved. ODU stays in CUSA with Charlotte, WKU and Middle Tenn.

Yes, this makes the most sense to me also. I think that deal is being made as we speak. Not sure about ODU. They may very well come along to the Belt as they are kind of attached at the hip with Marshall, but I'm guessing not. There are some Belt schools that don't want ODU and Marshall would love to be aligned with App and JMU. So, they may dump the crabs.

What an awesome conference that would be!

Marshall losing to ECU has plummeted their stock. Unbelievable!

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - hburg - 09-20-2021 06:55 PM

Boise and SDSU seem to no longer be in discussion

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - olddawg - 09-20-2021 07:05 PM

Smart move by those schools in my opinion.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - HTOWN_HERD - 09-20-2021 07:08 PM

(09-20-2021 06:19 PM)Purple Wrote:  
(09-20-2021 11:32 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  UAB to the west and Georgia St. to the East. That brings them to 12. If they can locate another western team that fits their mold, Charlotte would bring them to 14 teams. If they are going to attempt to compete with the P5, 12-14 teams seems like the right size.

JMU, Marshall and S. Miss to the Sunbelt would be a good move for all involved. ODU stays in CUSA with Charlotte, WKU and Middle Tenn.

Yes, this makes the most sense to me also. I think that deal is being made as we speak. Not sure about ODU. They may very well come along to the Belt as they are kind of attached at the hip with Marshall, but I'm guessing not. There are some Belt schools that don't want ODU and Marshall would love to be aligned with App and JMU. So, they may dump the crabs.

Marshall was never getting into the AAC. All signs point to going to the SBC with JMU. Imo, that is going to be a much better situation than the AAC anyway.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Purple - 09-20-2021 07:17 PM

(09-20-2021 07:08 PM)HTOWN_HERD Wrote:  

Marshall was never getting into the AAC. All signs point to going to the SBC with JMU. Imo, that is going to be a much better situation than the AAC anyway.

I agree. But, how the hell do you lose to Mikey and the Morons (ECU)?

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - HTOWN_HERD - 09-20-2021 07:22 PM

(09-20-2021 07:17 PM)Purple Wrote:  

It was just one of those things. We had complete control of the game in the 4th quarter. So much so that I told the guys with me to pack it up and we would beat traffic. By the time we walked from the stadium to the car ECU had cut it to 3, and got the ensuing onside kick. Just a complete breakdown. I’m praying it doesn’t become a trend. I’m hoping Appalachian State doesn’t run us off the field Thursday night.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Purple - 09-20-2021 07:57 PM

(09-20-2021 07:22 PM)HTOWN_HERD Wrote:  
(09-20-2021 07:17 PM)Purple Wrote:  

It was just one of those things. We had complete control of the game in the 4th quarter. So much so that I told the guys with me to pack it up and we would beat traffic. By the time we walked from the stadium to the car ECU had cut it to 3, and got the ensuing onside kick. Just a complete breakdown. I’m praying it doesn’t become a trend. I’m hoping Appalachian State doesn’t run us off the field Thursday night.

I understand. We had the same problem at Sam Houston in the playoffs last season.

No matter! Marshall and JMU are going to wind up in the same conference (I feel it in my bones) and will resume and intensify the rivalry between our two schools.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - PGJMU2 - 09-20-2021 08:03 PM

so now rumors of USTA along with UAB to aac. so uab, so miss, marshall, & usta could leave cusa.

what do stragglers in cusa west, do in that event? Mountain West?

you would think that would create demand for jmu by cusa. would be nice to create some urgency for sb to take us vs. jmu going to cusa.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - GaSoEagle - 09-20-2021 08:10 PM

Word is we are trying to decide if we expand by 2 or 4. If 4 JMU may be involved

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Hart Foundation - 09-20-2021 08:17 PM

I’m not sure what the attraction is of aligning with Marshall. What is it ?

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - jmu18 - 09-20-2021 08:25 PM

(09-20-2021 08:10 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  Word is we are trying to decide if we expand by 2 or 4. If 4 JMU may be involved

Maybe it’s my purple lenses… but realistically even if you expand by 2, JMU should be a top candidate

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - PGJMU2 - 09-20-2021 08:25 PM

for jmu, i think this comes down to App and Marshall. seems as if odu is a non player. If App is committed to the Sunbelt, can they convince other members to pull Marshall and JMU. If SB wont take JMU, will Marshall stay in CUSA if we join?

Marshall's first choice is app, marshall, coastal and JMU. if they cant get jmu, is:

Marshall, ODU, Charlotte & JMU with the western CUSA teams gutted > SB with App, Coastal and Marshall?

although so miss / charlotte may end up in the SB east under a no jmu scenario.