CSNbbs
Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-288.html)
+----- Forum: JMU Archives (/forum-1006.html)
+----- Thread: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 (/thread-909885.html)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - MarginalDuke - 09-18-2021 11:44 PM

(09-18-2021 09:24 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  Yeah with the lack of atmosphere it's almost more exciting watching a replay of a game at Bridgeforth than a live game at Weber. I gotta say it wasn't really any better watching a decent amount of the Troy at Southern Miss game earlier, but the good atmospheres in a G5 conference wouldn't be as few and far between as they are in FCS.

I was watching #16 Coastal at Buffalo and the crowd didn’t look too spectacular. But what I do imagine is the atmosphere of Bridgeforth if a ranked FBS opponent were to visit, it would probably off the charts.

We have a pretty good energy even for Morehead St. where App, Coastal, Marshall, ODU, heck even a 2-for-1 with Tech would be a dream. I still think one of the most electric Bridgeforth games was 2015 CGD Richmond shootout where we lost Vad, imagine if we had Tech visit.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - BSKB 24 - 09-19-2021 12:17 PM

(09-18-2021 11:44 PM)MarginalDuke Wrote:  
(09-18-2021 09:24 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  Yeah with the lack of atmosphere it's almost more exciting watching a replay of a game at Bridgeforth than a live game at Weber. I gotta say it wasn't really any better watching a decent amount of the Troy at Southern Miss game earlier, but the good atmospheres in a G5 conference wouldn't be as few and far between as they are in FCS.

I was watching #16 Coastal at Buffalo and the crowd didn’t look too spectacular. But what I do imagine is the atmosphere of Bridgeforth if a ranked FBS opponent were to visit, it would probably off the charts.

We have a pretty good energy even for Morehead St. where App, Coastal, Marshall, ODU, heck even a 2-for-1 with Tech would be a dream. I still think one of the most electric Bridgeforth games was 2015 CGD Richmond shootout where we lost Vad, imagine if we had Tech visit.

Students would still leave at halftime no matter who we were playing. Pretty sad.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - 94computerguy - 09-19-2021 01:59 PM

(09-18-2021 02:04 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  
(09-18-2021 12:37 PM)DukeQuin Wrote:  
(09-18-2021 11:13 AM)94computerguy Wrote:  
(09-18-2021 08:54 AM)atljmualum Wrote:  I just don’t get the appeal of the military academies… I get there’s a nostalgic aspect to it and a lot of service members (current and former) that would result in eyeballs on TV sets, but none of them play an exciting brand of football or increase the competitiveness of the league IMO.

I think it's a mix of things. 1) nationwide appeal rather than regional, 2) kind of like the ivies, none of those guys are there as football players - they're all cadets first, which is a nice change of pace, 3) there's a pretty strong reverence for anyone in the military, and 4) the USAFA in particular has a rather public religious vibe that Navy & Army don't.

So there are a lot of diverse demographics to hit there, a lot of which don't have obvious competitors in other schools.

There have been a number of recent scandals at the AFA about public and compelled religious expression, which is what I assume is contributing to this statement. To what extent do you think this delivers the eyeballs of religious tv viewers (i.e., what viewer sets out to watch a AFA game on tv specifically because they heard that Academy leaders have favored evangelical christian observance)? Are there stats on this? If this is a major factor in the appeal of the AFA to conferences and ESPN, why do they continue to reject Liberty?

The religious aspect of Liberty could be a positive if it were only to a certain extent. They take it to the point of being frequently controversial though with being restrictive to students and especially with throwing themselves in to politics.

Yeah, to a religious outsider, it seems that Liberty, BYU, and Notre Dame, while different degrees, are all The College Football Team for their respective faiths.
Given that there is a demographic that could be called "faith-based military nationalism", (which is a big deal in Colorado Springs in general -- tons of fundamentalists, Focus On The Family's headquarters, and tons of defense contractors), the USAFA is the perfect brand for that. Of course it's concentrated in Co Springs, but it's also got a following across the whole country.

As for rejecting Liberty, Liberty's mission is unmistakably political, while USAFA's core mission is training USAF cadets. The religious aspect is along for the ride, but I think it's still there, to a degree.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMU08 - 09-20-2021 09:22 AM

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Anders - 09-20-2021 09:33 AM

Colorado State will be a dumpster fire under Steve Addazio but admittedly, there is a lot of potential there and it makes sense.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMU08 - 09-20-2021 09:35 AM

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMU2004 - 09-20-2021 09:44 AM

(09-20-2021 09:33 AM)Anders Wrote:  Colorado State will be a dumpster fire under Steve Addazio but admittedly, there is a lot of potential there and it makes sense.

Even if Boise eventually leaves the MWC, I just don't see the benefit to CSU and AFA. Added cost for a severely watered down AAC that is likely lose more schools down the road.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMad03 - 09-20-2021 10:11 AM

(09-20-2021 09:35 AM)JMU08 Wrote:  

For all the talk about saving travel costs by regionalizing, the AAC says 'screw you'.
This is NOT going to go well for the AAC. They are so hung up on trying to bring in names instead of having a strong foothold on a certain region. This is going to bite them in the butt sooner or later.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - hburg - 09-20-2021 10:34 AM

Looking like it is really close to being a done deal. Just adding to the above post 03-wink.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - panama - 09-20-2021 10:37 AM

This all makes sense. They are who we thought they were. People poo poed their adds in 2012 and they became teh strongest G5. They have a DNA and thats urban/metro national research universities and an academy. Not surprising at all who they seem to be after.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - KickItToScotty - 09-20-2021 10:45 AM

So divisions would likely be something like

East: Memphis, Temple, ECU, USF, Navy
West: SMU, CSU, Tulane, Tulsa, Air Force

Wouldn't be unreasonable for UAB to go to either side so doesn't seem like that'd have much impact on who the fourth is.

Really not sure who we should be hoping for here, I guess another CUSA team? Then there's the danger of CUSA/SBC staying put at 12/10 or SBC only adding two to get to 12 leaving us out and leaving CUSA really undesirable. But add a Sun Belt team and there's the danger of SBC just going with three like ODU/Marshall/USM and leaving us out. I guess we should probably hope for Army or even Liberty.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Xeonon - 09-20-2021 11:18 AM

Looks like we're gonna be CAA4LYFE

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMUNation - 09-20-2021 11:32 AM

UAB to the west and Georgia St. to the East. That brings them to 12. If they can locate another western team that fits their mold, Charlotte would bring them to 14 teams. If they are going to attempt to compete with the P5, 12-14 teams seems like the right size.

JMU, Marshall and S. Miss to the Sunbelt would be a good move for all involved. ODU stays in CUSA with Charlotte, WKU and Middle Tenn.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - boozeNammo - 09-20-2021 12:17 PM

(09-20-2021 11:18 AM)Xeonon Wrote:  Looks like we're gonna be CAA4LYFE

...and the world would just keep spinnin'. Not that big of a deal in the grand scheme.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - ValleyBoy - 09-20-2021 01:09 PM

(09-20-2021 11:32 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  UAB to the west and Georgia St. to the East. That brings them to 12. If they can locate another western team that fits their mold, Charlotte would bring them to 14 teams. If they are going to attempt to compete with the P5, 12-14 teams seems like the right size.

JMU, Marshall and S. Miss to the Sunbelt would be a good move for all involved. ODU stays in CUSA with Charlotte, WKU and Middle Tenn.

UAB and Georgia St would both be in the east since they are only 150 between then. Navy would stay in the west.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - herdfan129 - 09-20-2021 01:23 PM

(09-03-2021 08:53 PM)panama Wrote:  The only way the AAC is adding someone outside of their institutional profile is if they run out of available options and their institutional profile is "Member universities represent a range of private and public universities of various enrollment sizes located primarily in urban metropolitan areas in the Northeastern, Midwestern, and Southern regions of the United States.["

They are a bunch of urban R1s.

Fin

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

(09-20-2021 10:11 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  
(09-20-2021 09:35 AM)JMU08 Wrote:  

For all the talk about saving travel costs by regionalizing, the AAC says 'screw you'.
This is NOT going to go well for the AAC. They are so hung up on trying to bring in names instead of having a strong foothold on a certain region. This is going to bite them in the butt sooner or later.

I tried to tell you all lol....AAC leadership is good in a lot of ways, but very dumb in other ways. For instance, they invited Tulsa and Tulane last time over a lot of better options. ECU was the very last invite....yes Tulane and Tulsa were invited before ECU.

AAC hasn't been burned with chasing markets yet. They seriously think UTSA is same level as Houston in terms of delivering their market. Idiots.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - herdfan129 - 09-20-2021 01:26 PM

(09-03-2021 08:53 PM)panama Wrote:  The only way the AAC is adding someone outside of their institutional profile is if they run out of available options and their institutional profile is "Member universities represent a range of private and public universities of various enrollment sizes located primarily in urban metropolitan areas in the Northeastern, Midwestern, and Southern regions of the United States.["

They are a bunch of urban R1s.

Fin

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

(09-20-2021 10:45 AM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  So divisions would likely be something like

Wouldn't be unreasonable for UAB to go to either side so doesn't seem like that'd have much impact on who the fourth is.

Really not sure who we should be hoping for here, I guess another CUSA team? Then there's the danger of CUSA/SBC staying put at 12/10 or SBC only adding two to get to 12 leaving us out and leaving CUSA really undesirable. But add a Sun Belt team and there's the danger of SBC just going with three like ODU/Marshall/USM and leaving us out. I guess we should probably hope for Army or even Liberty.

Nope. Navy plays in the West and WANTS to play/stay in the West. So the East division will be even more spread out lol

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - KickItToScotty - 09-20-2021 02:39 PM

(09-20-2021 01:26 PM)herdfan129 Wrote:  
(09-20-2021 10:45 AM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  So divisions would likely be something like

Nope. Navy plays in the West and WANTS to play/stay in the West. So the East division will be even more spread out lol

Gotcha, so seems like UAB will go east and they'd likely lean towards adding someone else that would be in the east. Although who knows since it seems like they care very little about geography.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - James Madison - 09-20-2021 03:25 PM

Imagine preferring a garbage team that South Dakota State just blew out this season over us in your conference

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMad03 - 09-20-2021 03:38 PM

(09-20-2021 03:25 PM)James Madison Wrote:  Imagine preferring a garbage team that South Dakota State just blew out this season over us in your conference

If that doesn't say something about the direction the conference is taking, nothing will.

If that's the criteria they use to select teams, they are destined to fail.
If the rumors are in fact true, the reputation of the AAC is going to be incredibly different than it is now.
The JMU admin needs to seriously reconsider the AAC as their best option, because it clearly isn't any more. They don't even align with what our admin is trying to achieve: a regional conference.
Even a year ago I would have thought I was insane in saying this, but I hope we end up in the Sun Belt over the AAC.
We cannot afford to miss out on going FBS. If no conference invites us, we must go independent.
To hell with the CAA.