CSNbbs
Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-288.html)
+----- Forum: JMU Archives (/forum-1006.html)
+----- Thread: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 (/thread-909885.html)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - bit_9 - 09-16-2021 08:25 PM

(09-16-2021 07:50 PM)Purplehazed Wrote:  I hope the AAC trying to expand to the pacific exposes the AAC and its commissioner as desperate and on of the verge of collapse while Appy, JMU, ODU and Marshall arm locked head straight to the SBC and in the future take every opportunity to mercilessly beat the hell out of east coast AAC teams with ECU as the primary target of ***** whippings.
I'm down. 04-cheers

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMU1985 - 09-16-2021 08:32 PM

(09-16-2021 08:11 PM)olddawg Wrote:  
(09-16-2021 07:36 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  
(09-16-2021 05:00 PM)White Hall Wrote:  
(09-16-2021 04:18 PM)Purple Wrote:  
(09-16-2021 11:36 AM)2Buck Wrote:  There is no App St/Marshall/ODU/JMU alliance or block. There's no way any one of those schools would turn down an opportunity beneficial to themselves to insist JMU has to be part of the deal.

We may, however if we're smart, be collaborating with them planting the seeds of JMU as a growth partner. We'd be in a stronger position if we were already FBS and succeeding (it's driving me crazy that a community college startup like Coastal has so much more leverage than us in the football conversations) but through familiarity, hopefully those 3 schools (and historically ODU in the past) are pimping us as much as possible.

Unfortunately, there's a very likely scenario of us being part of an AAC add in a group of 6-8 candidates but falling short due to only 2-4 slots. App St and Marshall at a minimum would be ahead of us in this "block", plus what other candidates might be out there like Rice, UAB, etc.

Just because the bloc (not "block," which is a cube) members are united for power and influence does not mean that they won't act unilaterally in their own interest. They must.

For example, if Marshall is offered a spot in the AAC and are told point-blank that no one else is invited, Marshall may say yes, but they will certainly wait to see where the rest of the bloc goes, which would almost certainly be the Belt. In that case, Marshall would likely go with JMU and ODU to the Belt, where App, Coastal, and the Georgias already reside. A lot also depends on what ESPN and their massive bankroll want.

I'm not saying that that is what I believe is happening. I actually believe that the AAC and Sun Belt are trying to offer all they can to entice the bloc into joining. The conference that loses that battle my dry up and blow away. A lot depends on if App and Coastal plan to stay put. The big lose in all of this, I believe, will be CUSA.

What makes the most sense to me is App and Coastal staying in the Belt, being joined by Marshall, JMU, and ODU. That would make one very strong division in the very best G5 conference and new de facto P6, the champion of which will almost certainly be a perennial CFP selectee.

Imagine going from FCS to CFP in one or two years. Very possible.

Worst case scenario: let’s say the report is partially correct and UAB and Boise St accept the AAC invite, which makes sense as it would be an upgrade for UAB and Boise St can hang out there for a couple of years until the Big 12 invite comes. Remember, there are reports of Boise not being happy with the MWC and vice versa so it would make sense for them to leave now. Now the AAC turns to its next group of targets, which include Marshall, App St., Coastal, and ODU and take some combination of two but not all four (and let’s say along with FAU and So. Miss or UNCC). JMU would definitely get the call up to the SB and CUSA then but both would be missing some of the regional rivalries that make the most sense. Our choices then would be watered down SB or CUSA or remaining in the CAA. Definitely possible. Ugh.

Yeah I'm a little nervous about something like this and wonder what the move would be at that point. If we're left with no invite except to the remnants of CUSA or Sun Belt with no App, Marshall, ODU then I would hope they say "ok let's weigh the options of that vs indy and take the better of the two options." If we stay CAA and wait for a better invite then that pretty much is just hoping and praying at that point imo.

Hopefully all of that is irrelevant and we get to land in a solid Sun Belt with at least one or two of App/Marshall/ODU, but some terrible scenario like that doesn't seem impossible and I sure hope we don't stay CAA if it happens.

In my mind, we would need to be convinced that two of the above 3 schools would be on board in whatever conference we join. The other one we could try to schedule home & home if not all 3 were in the same conference. Hopefully it still includes GA Southern and Coastal too. Charlotte would be a bonus. But if only one of ODU, Marshall and Appy were in our new conference, I'm not sure that accomplishes our goals. Your mileage may vary...

Boise State going the AAC seems unreasonable to me. They have real Athletic budget problems. In July of 2020 they shut down the Bronco's baseball, swimming and diving programs. They had to reduce their budget by $3M. A conference move that increases cost and likely reduces revenue of tickets sales at their stadium makes little sense to me. The AD said '...we are facing the most serious financial challenge we have ever seen,"

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - KickItToScotty - 09-16-2021 08:37 PM

(09-16-2021 08:11 PM)olddawg Wrote:  In my mind, we would need to be convinced that two of the above 3 schools would be on board in whatever conference we join. The other one we could try to schedule home & home if not all 3 were in the same conference. Hopefully it still includes GA Southern and Coastal too. Charlotte would be a bonus. But if only one of ODU, Marshall and Appy were in our new conference, I'm not sure that accomplishes our goals. Your mileage may vary...

Yeah I can understand that, personally I'm thinking it should be FBS at all costs this time around so definitely imagine you could see it differently if you don't think that way. Not having at least two of those three would be disappointing, but if some scenario works out where two of the three are together elsewhere then I think having one of the schools we really want to be with and then a handful of others that are ok like Coastal and the GSU's or WKU, Charlotte, and MTSU then that's still not anything to think twice about.

If they were to all three end up together and we're left behind with an invite to join all the other unwanteds then that's when I'd hope they'd go "ok do we accept or do we go indy?" to better position ourselves for the next time something happens.

I can't wait for something to happen though so we can either stop having to fear the worst or accept that the worst happened 03-lmfao

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMU2004 - 09-16-2021 08:57 PM

W/O a total change in leadership and a massive donor bank rolling us, there will never be an independent JMU football program. Our leadership isn’t going to sell every other team to the ASUN so we can try to cobble together and FBS independent schedule.

Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - jmufbs - 09-16-2021 09:05 PM

(09-16-2021 05:29 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  
(09-16-2021 11:36 AM)2Buck Wrote:  There is no App St/Marshall/ODU/JMU alliance or block. There's no way any one of those schools would turn down an opportunity beneficial to themselves to insist JMU has to be part of the deal.

We may, however if we're smart, be collaborating with them planting the seeds of JMU as a growth partner. We'd be in a stronger position if we were already FBS and succeeding (it's driving me crazy that a community college startup like Coastal has so much more leverage than us in the football conversations) but through familiarity, hopefully those 3 schools (and historically ODU in the past) are pimping us as much as possible.

Unfortunately, there's a very likely scenario of us being part of an AAC add in a group of 6-8 candidates but falling short due to only 2-4 slots. App St and Marshall at a minimum would be ahead of us in this "block", plus what other candidates might be out there like Rice, UAB, etc.

Just because the bloc (not "block," which is a cube) members are united for power and influence does not mean that they won't act unilaterally in their own interest. They must.

For example, if Marshall is offered a spot in the AAC and are told point-blank that no one else is invited, Marshall may say yes, but they will certainly wait to see where the rest of the bloc goes, which would almost certainly be the Belt. In that case, Marshall would likely go with JMU and ODU to the Belt, where App, Coastal, and the Georgias already reside. A lot also depends on what ESPN and their massive bankroll want.

I'm not saying that that is what I believe is happening. I actually believe that the AAC and Sun Belt are trying to offer all they can to entice the bloc into joining. The conference that loses that battle my dry up and blow away. A lot depends on if App and Coastal plan to stay put. The big lose in all of this, I believe, will be CUSA.

What makes the most sense to me is App and Coastal staying in the Belt, being joined by Marshall, JMU, and ODU. That would make one very strong division in the very best G5 conference and new de facto P6, the champion of which will almost certainly be a perennial CFP selectee.

Worst case scenario: let’s say the report is partially correct and UAB and Boise St accept the AAC invite, which makes sense as it would be an upgrade for UAB and Boise St can hang out there for a couple of years until the Big 12 invite comes. Remember, there are reports of Boise not being happy with the MWC and vice versa so it would make sense for them to leave now. Now the AAC turns to its next group of targets, which include Marshall, App St., Coastal, and ODU and take some combination of two but not all four (and let’s say along with FAU and So. Miss or UNCC). JMU would definitely get the call up to the SB and CUSA then but both would be missing some of the regional rivalries that make the most sense. Our choices then would be watered down SB or CUSA or remaining in the CAA. Definitely possible. Ugh.

Why would Boise moving make any sense? Exit fee from MW for what more in revenue from the American? Extra travel cost for what upside with the American? Schools don’t just hang out in a conference for a few years- this isn’t fantasy football. It’s a lark IMO just like the idea that the American was going to get a bunch of Big 12 schools to move to their conference.

Agree
Aac posturing west because they know they may be Losing the east coast to the sunbelt
Aac is going to drop big time after this all shakes out IMO

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - BleedingPurple - 09-16-2021 09:28 PM

(09-16-2021 09:05 PM)jmufbs Wrote:  

Why would Boise moving make any sense? Exit fee from MW for what more in revenue from the American? Extra travel cost for what upside with the American? Schools don’t just hang out in a conference for a few years- this isn’t fantasy football. It’s a lark IMO just like the idea that the American was going to get a bunch of Big 12 schools to move to their conference.

Agree
Aac posturing west because they know they may be Losing the east coast to the sunbelt

Had JMU joined the SB back when we had the chance (see Coast football history) we'd not be sweating this deal at all. It'd be gravy right now much the same as it is for Appy. We'd also not have a $1M exit fee to pay the CAA, back then it was $250K, we didn't put up any fight to not increase this fee. Hmmm...

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - jjthebutcher - 09-16-2021 09:43 PM

Don’t forget Boise had accepted a Big East invite then backed out around 2011/12 and stayed in the MW. Lots of the same Big East now AAC schools may remember that…

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMU2004 - 09-16-2021 09:48 PM

(09-16-2021 09:28 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(09-16-2021 04:18 PM)Purple Wrote:  Just because the bloc (not "block," which is a cube) members are united for power and influence does not mean that they won't act unilaterally in their own interest. They must.

Agree

Had JMU joined the SB back when we had the chance (see Coast football history) we'd not be sweating this deal at all. It'd be gravy right now much the same as it is for Appy. We'd also not have a $1M exit fee to pay the CAA, back then it was $250K, we didn't put up any fight to not increase this fee. Hmmm...

Actually spoke with JB in 2013 when we turned down the SBC. He called me back from an email, and that was my exact argument.

He felt we would have a chance later. So now here we are.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - NJDuke97 - 09-16-2021 09:52 PM

Agree

Interesting take- the sky is falling JMU fan thinks see JMU isn’t in the mix and never was but it’s also possible this Dodd guy is in the Americans pocket or being fed this because the American is about to lose some opportunities East/South to the Belt and they are buying time. They know they don’t have a shot at the MW. I guess they will just add Florida Atlantic North Texas Uab and one other and try to spin it as a good thing compared to programs like App JMU and Marshall. I’m not buying it.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Purple - 09-16-2021 10:03 PM

(09-16-2021 05:49 PM)JMUPride Wrote:  
(09-16-2021 03:56 PM)jjthebutcher Wrote:  +1

(09-16-2021 02:24 PM)Dukester Wrote:  
(09-16-2021 02:16 PM)DoubleDogDare Wrote:  
(09-16-2021 02:12 PM)Dukester Wrote:  East (10): Appalachian State, Charlotte, Coastal Carolina, East Carolina, FAU, FIU, Marshall, Navy, Old Dominion, South Florida

That would piss me off.

Thankfully it won't ever happen but man would it suck to be left out of that.

If that happened - I'm taking a pitchfork to JMU, then PG's house, then Dukedog's house.

05-mafia 03-lmfao

Take a pitchfork to anyone that thought we shouldn't goto the SBC when supposedly invited 5+ years ago.

We get left behind for not making small progressive steps... Instead hoping and praying for a huge move up. That just doesn't happen.

We're going to continue trailing liberty, Charlotte, ODU, etc until we move up. ANY FBS conference is progress.

Either you're FCS for life or for ANY type of move up. Anything else, and you just don't understand the landscape.

Why so gloomy?

We can wind up in an awesome conference in this shakeup or we can stay in the CAA and bore our fans silly with regular pounding of the likes of Rhode Island and Elon.

Or.... we could go FBS indy and love scheduling top FBS teams.

We have options!

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - KickItToScotty - 09-16-2021 10:06 PM

A tweet on the AAC going after Mountain West that I don't think has been shared here:

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - hburg - 09-16-2021 10:11 PM

(09-16-2021 10:06 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  A tweet on the AAC going after Mountain West that I don't think has been shared here:

OUCH!

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - BleedingPurple - 09-16-2021 10:13 PM

(09-16-2021 09:52 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  
(09-16-2021 04:18 PM)Purple Wrote:  Just because the bloc (not "block," which is a cube) members are united for power and influence does not mean that they won't act unilaterally in their own interest. They must.

Agree

Interesting take- the sky is falling JMU fan thinks see JMU isn’t in the mix and never was but it’s also possible this Dodd guy is in the Americans pocket or being fed this because the American is about to lose some opportunities East/South to the Belt and they are buying time. They know they don’t have a shot at the MW. I guess they will just add Florida Atlantic North Texas Uab and one other and try to spin it as a good thing compared to programs like App JMU and Marshall. I’m not buying it.

What JMU fans are you talking about? I think you are not looking at the posters who say we haven't any chance at all to be in the AAC. I'm seeing this speak coming from outsiders. The thing I say is that I'd rather see us in the SB over the AAC as long as everyone in the SB stays put (exceptions being those programs we don't need to be associated with and you know who those are). I like the affordable fees of joining the SB. I like the idea of Marshall and ODU moving over, especially Marshall. For all the reasons not to join a decade ago, those obstacles have a possibility of going completely away, with the exception of three of our sports and I firmly believe we can keep them in the CAA. The CAA needs those three sports from us more than we need the CAA to house them.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - NJDuke97 - 09-16-2021 10:59 PM

(09-16-2021 10:24 PM)Purple Wrote:  
(09-16-2021 10:11 PM)hburg Wrote:  
(09-16-2021 10:06 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  A tweet on the AAC going after Mountain West that I don't think has been shared here:

OUCH!

I think it is hilarious that the AAC is considering SDSU while totally ignoring the smelly Bisons.

No comparison between San Diego State and North Dakota State. Aside from the market and location difference Sd State has been one of the best mid major Athletics programs- hoops and football out there. I’m frankly surprised the PAC 12 doesn’t bring them in. IMO they are the crown jewel of the MW.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - DirtyDukes - 09-16-2021 11:08 PM

Man the amount of insecurity in this thread is appalling. Have some nuts, people.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - jmu007 - 09-17-2021 06:17 AM

CAA 4 life. Prepare yourselves.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Madison 91 Forever - 09-17-2021 06:50 AM

(09-17-2021 06:17 AM)jmu007 Wrote:  CAA 4 life. Prepare yourselves.

Agreed. The handwriting is on the wall.

AAC is not going to take an FCS school. Their targets are west. That would leave CUSA intact.

SBC is a problem for us because they don't have four of our existing varsity sports. I've yet to hear how we're supposed to enter the SBC when they don't have men's soccer, field hockey or women's lacrosse. Are we going to cut any of those sports? Hell, no.

I'm sick of this whole song and dance, which has been going on without advancement for at least 15 years. TBH whether or not we go FBS will not affect my enthusiasm, regardless.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - bcp_jmu - 09-17-2021 07:01 AM

If the SBC bloc is real, you gotta think they will be adding those sports during the transition period - too lazy to look up, but are those 3 a need for odu and Marshall too? Might be more for them, plus SMiss has needs...

Might need to look at being an affiliate in cuss

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - jmu007 - 09-17-2021 07:07 AM

(09-17-2021 06:50 AM)Madison 91 Forever Wrote:  
(09-17-2021 06:17 AM)jmu007 Wrote:  CAA 4 life. Prepare yourselves.

Agreed. The handwriting is on the wall.

AAC is not going to take an FCS school. Their targets are west. That would leave CUSA intact.

SBC is a problem for us because they don't have four of our existing varsity sports. I've yet to hear how we're supposed to enter the SBC when they don't have men's soccer, field hockey or women's lacrosse. Are we going to cut any of those sports? Hell, no.

I'm sick of this whole song and dance, which has been going on without advancement for at least 15 years. TBH whether or not we go FBS will not affect my enthusiasm, regardless.

Just putting together what little bit of info I've been able to come across...

JMU fans' only chance to see JMU in FBS is to somehow end up taking UAB's spot in CUSA should they leave for the AAC.

And if that doesn't work out. I hope the people making the decisions get all the grief they deserve.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - NJDuke97 - 09-17-2021 07:13 AM

You guys are downers- no advancement for 15 years- have you taken note of all that our program has accomplished in that time on and off the field? You make it sound like we have been running in place.