CSNbbs
Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-288.html)
+----- Forum: JMU Archives (/forum-1006.html)
+----- Thread: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 (/thread-909885.html)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - BleedingPurple - 09-13-2021 10:14 AM

(09-13-2021 10:02 AM)panama Wrote:  What if pre 2011 the CAA football league had decided to go FBS. Might be a different landscape on the East Coast today.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Where did that come from? Every poster could come up with their own "if". What if South Carolina had decided to stay in the ACC rather than take company with the SEC, there might be a different landscape on the East Coast today.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - DukeQuin - 09-13-2021 10:22 AM

(09-13-2021 09:55 AM)DirtyDukes Wrote:  
(09-13-2021 09:55 AM)DoubleDogDare Wrote:  
(09-13-2021 08:41 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  A university administration is nothing more than a mirror of its donor base. This is what you have missed over the years Hazed. There wasn’t an uproar from that donor base when Dr. Rose declared “not on my watch”. Crowds got larger and donations went up. JMU success on the field went up too. With the success of football, Gameday and other JMU sports, interest continued to expand. The donor base is now pushing for something more. A move up is the only way to continue to grow the brand.

None of that is true. A poster told me they were losing interest and that others were 1000% feeling the same way. 05-stirthepot

"I'm a real fan! A HUGE fan! But if we don't do exactly what I think is best then I'm taking my tailgate and going home!"

It's funny, but there's going to be some of that no matter what- from people who wanted to stay in FCS if we move, from people who say 'Sun Belt- what's that?', if that's where we go, and--if we struggle any when we move- from people who'll say things like 'this just goes to show we shouldn't have done it.'

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - KickItToScotty - 09-13-2021 10:34 AM

(09-13-2021 10:22 AM)DukeQuin Wrote:  
(09-13-2021 08:41 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  A university administration is nothing more than a mirror of its donor base. This is what you have missed over the years Hazed. There wasn’t an uproar from that donor base when Dr. Rose declared “not on my watch”. Crowds got larger and donations went up. JMU success on the field went up too. With the success of football, Gameday and other JMU sports, interest continued to expand. The donor base is now pushing for something more. A move up is the only way to continue to grow the brand.

None of that is true. A poster told me they were losing interest and that others were 1000% feeling the same way. 05-stirthepot

"I'm a real fan! A HUGE fan! But if we don't do exactly what I think is best then I'm taking my tailgate and going home!"

It's funny, but there's going to be some of that no matter what- from people who wanted to stay in FCS if we move, from people who say 'Sun Belt- what's that?', if that's where we go, and--if we struggle any when we move- from people who'll say things like 'this just goes to show we shouldn't have done it.'

Some twitter account(JMU Sports Blog maybe? JMU Sports News? I forget) did a poll the other day asking if you'd accept a Sun Belt invite if it were up to you. I was expecting "no" to be single digits, but it was 36% and there were several replies talking about championships over bowls. It's easy to forget how different the fan base as a whole can be from what's on this board.

Edit: Found it and it actually ended up at 38%, and the wording makes that even more insane to me.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - panama - 09-13-2021 10:36 AM

(09-13-2021 10:14 AM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(09-13-2021 10:02 AM)panama Wrote:  What if pre 2011 the CAA football league had decided to go FBS. Might be a different landscape on the East Coast today.

Where did that come from? Every poster could come up with their own "if". What if South Carolina had decided to stay in the ACC rather than take company with the SEC, there might be a different landscape on the East Coast today.
It came from something I wanted before we left in 2012. I would have been fine with that.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMU2004 - 09-13-2021 10:45 AM

(09-13-2021 10:36 AM)panama Wrote:  
(09-13-2021 10:14 AM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  

It came from something I wanted before we left in 2012. I would have been fine with that.

Tom Yeager, CAA commish at the time : ""Georgia State's withdrawal from the CAA and CAA Football is predicated on the university's desire to reclassify to FBS football which requires membership in an FBS league," said commissioner Tom Yeager. "We've been aware that GSU was having discussions with the Sun Belt Conference as the CAA could not accommodate that desire within GSU's timeframe. The conference wishes the university well as it pursues these new interests."

Scuttlebuut was that the CAA was looking to sponsor both and FBS and FCS league. JMU, ODU, UD, GSUs, and APP would have been the FBS base.

Ironically, these discussions might have forced VCU to begin to look at the A-10 over concerns that the CAA was becoming a conference where football drove the bus.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Hart Foundation - 09-13-2021 11:02 AM

(09-13-2021 10:05 AM)DoubleDogDare Wrote:  
(09-13-2021 07:17 AM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  No, the Sun Belt is trying to gain commitments before the AAC takes all the good football programs that can maximize their media deal with ESPN.

The AAC has the power and that is the place to be. Money talks, BS walks. Current media deal is 12 years for $1 Billion. Lose cincy, UCF, Houston while adding the next best 4 programs will certainly lower the deal, but not down to Sun Belt levels. JMU should want to be aligned with these athletic departments that spend $50-$60 million annually just like JMU does. Go where the money is.

No need to talk about travel costs. The AAC media money more than makes up for any increased travel cost.

The Sun Belt media deal is peanuts and would not increase much with additions of Marshall, App state, JMU. Certainly Not enough to make it the first choice. Sun Belt is a fallback option.
Take a look at most of their athletic departments. Many operate at half the financial level of JMU. There just isn’t the commitment level that AAC schools have towards athletics. And a lot of that is driven by the fact that they are lower tier podunk schools with smaller alumni bases that aren’t growing at the scale of AAC institutions.

You suggested an impossible scenario. AAC does not get the next best 4 programs if Marshall, App State, and JMU (and you didn't mention ODU who will also be in the Sun Belt if Marshall and JMU join).

I have very limited knowledge, actually let's just say none, about the underworking's of these media deals (ability to renegotiate and already agreed to changes based on schools changing conferences) and the value drivers (both markets and conference sport strength i.e. basketball vs football vs number of non revenue driving sports), but it is obvious the Sun Belt would increase their negotiating power by adding those additional teams, while the AAC is headed the opposite direction.

The AAC is losing 7 of their 10 football conference champions and 10 of their 18 NCAA MBball tournament bids. I'm not looking into TV market size (and also have no idea how ESPN or other broadcast networks adjust the market size for other schools in the area or alum geographic demographics), but I'll guess that Houston and Orlando were pretty important to ESPN when they negotiated the current media deal. IMHO losing both your most decorated programs, and your biggest markets, is probably very concerning for ESPN.

Then obviously, whatever number of schools both of these conferences shake out with, is important as there is a big difference in splitting those deals 10, 12 or 14 ways.

For you to say the Sun Belt is going to garner a larger media contract than the AAC, this napkin math must happen…

1 - Sun Belt contract increases by 400% vs current contract renewed earlier this year. 03-lmfao
2 - AAC contract decreases by 50% vs current contract. Possible. The 3 departing schools have massive alumni numbers in huge media markets.

That would make the future conferences equivalent financially at $4 million payout per school annually.
Otherwise, AAC is the premier choice. Maybe Lee Fitting can help us get a side by side comparison for ESPN data showing football media power for each institution. After all, ESPN is paying the money and they will have a huge impact on which schools are invited to each conference.

JMU, App, Marshall, and Army(football only) to the AAC is much more lucrative. Not to mention the competition is much stronger there.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - ODU BBALL - 09-13-2021 11:05 AM

(09-13-2021 07:26 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  
(09-13-2021 01:42 AM)Purplehazed Wrote:  If JMU makes a move now and aligns with regional peers, Appy, Marshall, Coastal and ODU in the SBC or AAC it would be easy to make the case JMU made all the right moves...but one, the secrecy and what was or could have been easily perceived as endless CAA love for 15 years. Alger's anti COA manifesto has not helped at all...

Let's hope we can focus on a bright athletic future soon that includes interesting conference football games, interesting away football games we can drive to and bringing an occasional P5 to BFS. I would/will hand polish a statue of Bourne if we pull it off...

If the Godwin side of BFS is ever finished, that is the cherry on top.

I realize that it has taken longer and at times been frustrating but over the years if you were to look at a timeline on this when the question has come up JMU has answered that we would be ready when an invitation presented itself and an opportunity that made sense for us. It’s been pretty clear that JMU valued a conference of peers that offered regionalization and made good financial sense. They were never going to force the issue by going someone in between or independent because they didn’t have to (their program continued to thrive and they knew this day was coming).

One note and the outcome is what is most important but it would not surprise me if JMU is pushing as much for Odu Marshall and others as they are for us. It would probably drive fans and other schools posters nuts to know that because it goes against their narrative - after all we are FCS and should be lower in the pecking order but smart people at conferences with Universities and at media partners such as ESPN recognize what JMU brings.

It’s the same reason why disgruntled JMU fans continue to post on these boards and why fans from other schools participate in the conversation. Like moths to a flame. JMU is special our fandom and the interest that we generate is special- it has all been proven and measured on social media and tv ratings. It’s the reason why ESPN returned for a second college game day. It’s something people want to bottle up and be a part of. It’s compelling. And we are just scratching the surface so if based on those attributes and our position of power if we help bring Odu or Marshall along for the ride I’m cool with it.

LOL. I don't think ODU needs JMU's help.

ODU vs JMU (Football) 2-0

ODU vs JMU (Men's Basketball) 58-27 (per media guide through 2020)

ODU vs JMU (Women's Basketball) 52-25 (per media guide through 2013)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - fishingduke12 - 09-13-2021 11:10 AM

(09-13-2021 10:34 AM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  

Some twitter account(JMU Sports Blog maybe? JMU Sports News? I forget) did a poll the other day asking if you'd accept a Sun Belt invite if it were up to you. I was expecting "no" to be single digits, but it was 36% and there were several replies talking about championships over bowls. It's easy to forget how different the fan base as a whole can be from what's on this board.

Edit: Found it and it actually ended up at 38%, and the wording makes that even more insane to me.

I think many are forgetting that the playoffs are expanding

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Purplehazed - 09-13-2021 11:15 AM

Just saw a tweet from JMU sports news that listed possibilities...and one of them was stay in the CAA...Noooooooooooooooo

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Dukester - 09-13-2021 11:18 AM

(09-13-2021 11:15 AM)Purplehazed Wrote:  Just saw a tweet from JMU sports news that listed possibilities...and one of them was stay in the CAA...Noooooooooooooooo

You gotta have an option for PG. jk 03-lmfao

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - bcp_jmu - 09-13-2021 11:21 AM

The sports news poll is still almost 2:1 ... and certainly not a scientific poll. I have to think the numbers look wayy better if the move is described as "with Marshall and oDU'

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - KickItToScotty - 09-13-2021 11:23 AM

(09-13-2021 11:05 AM)ODU BBALL Wrote:  
(09-13-2021 01:42 AM)Purplehazed Wrote:  If JMU makes a move now and aligns with regional peers, Appy, Marshall, Coastal and ODU in the SBC or AAC it would be easy to make the case JMU made all the right moves...but one, the secrecy and what was or could have been easily perceived as endless CAA love for 15 years. Alger's anti COA manifesto has not helped at all...

Let's hope we can focus on a bright athletic future soon that includes interesting conference football games, interesting away football games we can drive to and bringing an occasional P5 to BFS. I would/will hand polish a statue of Bourne if we pull it off...

I realize that it has taken longer and at times been frustrating but over the years if you were to look at a timeline on this when the question has come up JMU has answered that we would be ready when an invitation presented itself and an opportunity that made sense for us. It’s been pretty clear that JMU valued a conference of peers that offered regionalization and made good financial sense. They were never going to force the issue by going someone in between or independent because they didn’t have to (their program continued to thrive and they knew this day was coming).

One note and the outcome is what is most important but it would not surprise me if JMU is pushing as much for Odu Marshall and others as they are for us. It would probably drive fans and other schools posters nuts to know that because it goes against their narrative - after all we are FCS and should be lower in the pecking order but smart people at conferences with Universities and at media partners such as ESPN recognize what JMU brings.

It’s the same reason why disgruntled JMU fans continue to post on these boards and why fans from other schools participate in the conversation. Like moths to a flame. JMU is special our fandom and the interest that we generate is special- it has all been proven and measured on social media and tv ratings. It’s the reason why ESPN returned for a second college game day. It’s something people want to bottle up and be a part of. It’s compelling. And we are just scratching the surface so if based on those attributes and our position of power if we help bring Odu or Marshall along for the ride I’m cool with it.

How many appearances is this since moving up?

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - BleedingPurple - 09-13-2021 12:37 PM

(09-13-2021 11:23 AM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  

Crickets...

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - 94computerguy - 09-13-2021 01:27 PM

(09-13-2021 11:10 AM)fishingduke12 Wrote:  
(09-13-2021 10:34 AM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  
(09-13-2021 09:55 AM)DoubleDogDare Wrote:  None of that is true. A poster told me they were losing interest and that others were 1000% feeling the same way. 05-stirthepot

I think many are forgetting that the playoffs are expanding

To what, 8 teams? 12? You don't really think JMU would ever so much as sniff that, do you? Everyone's darling Coastal wouldn't even get into that field. Face it - that's for the NFL-lite schools and everyone else gets the weed-whacker bowl.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMad03 - 09-13-2021 01:28 PM

(09-13-2021 12:37 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(09-13-2021 11:23 AM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  

Crickets...

Aww be nice. They deserve a big congratulations for beating Hampton!!! WOW what a win!! Maybe they will miss out on ESPN's bottom 10 this week!

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - KickItToScotty - 09-13-2021 01:30 PM

Wasn't the latest rumor that it'd go to 12 with at least one G5? If that's the case I think JMU will make some appearances. Not ever gonna win it all, but could get in and maybe pull off a win.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - bcp_jmu - 09-13-2021 01:32 PM

Its going to 12... and yes - many of us believe JMU or others would have a chance when we perform. Sorry you don't see that 94 (and Im sure several teams will get hosed every year too)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Purplehazed - 09-13-2021 01:35 PM

(09-13-2021 01:30 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  Wasn't the latest rumor that it'd go to 12 with at least one G5? If that's the case I think JMU will make some appearances. Not ever gonna win it all, but could get in and maybe pull off a win.

UMBC will never forget Charlotte. Neither will I, I was courtside with several UVA fans. JMU could do the same.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - NJDuke97 - 09-13-2021 01:38 PM

Football is what behind this realignment and Odu football is a dumpster fire. If you are a G5 conference looking to be more competitive in football you have reservations about ODU and whether they will ever get it on track especially against harder competition. No way to sugar coat that. I think JMU can help Odu in these discussions more than Odu can help JMU. As a package at least the conference knows they are getting one quality football program and that the rivalry/interest in the commonwealth will be good for Odu JMU games kind of how it is for JMU Richmond and JMU W&M football games today even though the outcomes aren’t close.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - bcp_jmu - 09-13-2021 01:44 PM

Lets say all this happens...

- Marshall v Madison sounds really fun (amd like a supreme court case)
- annual grudge game ooc w Liberty?
- annual CAA warmup game
- didnt realize App got rid of their track ring, finally! Thats a fun game
- late season games in GA and SC are a-ok weather-wise
- would it be 1 or 2 games against SBC west? Travel still less than maine / unh
- we are gonna be able to get all kinds of local BIG, ACC and even SEC matchups...2 for 1 means P5s at BFS!
- cusa, AAC, Mac - gotta think we can get 1 for 1s
- what else?