CSNbbs
Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-288.html)
+----- Forum: JMU Archives (/forum-1006.html)
+----- Thread: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 (/thread-909885.html)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMUDuke25 - 09-10-2021 11:26 AM

(09-10-2021 11:11 AM)DirtyDukes Wrote:  Someone check on Purplehazed

Translation: We are open for business

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - 2Buck - 09-10-2021 11:50 AM

(09-10-2021 11:26 AM)JMUDuke25 Wrote:  

Translation: We are open for business

We're open for business for "select clientele" which means we'll continue to drag our feet.

In the meantime, Coastal is really regretting taking the latest slot we should have taken with all this national coverage...

ESPN: Coastal Carolina, college football's favorite underdogs, are back for more

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMad03 - 09-10-2021 11:50 AM

But, but it said "any conference" and CAA is a conference and did not say "FBS" so it must be "CAA4Lyfe" right? Right????

/sarcasm off

The timing of this is glorious. They didn't wait a day or a week later. If that doesn't say they are open to joining the FBS, nothing will.
But we could get an invite, accept the invite, and some would still say we were committed to the CAA.

This could happen way sooner than I expected. The AAC is open to expansion and even if we aren't going to the AAC, the dominos are going to fall. This is the time to move and it appears the admin is aware of it.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Dukester - 09-10-2021 12:06 PM

I don't know....

We will "continue" to work actively..... doesn't that mean we will do the same thing we've been doing?

If they/we were close to something happening, than why put out another tea leaf message that ultimately says nothing?

I'd be much more optimistic if a statement was closer to - "We believe FBS could be a good situation for JMU athletics. We believe with the current events we are closing in on such a move"

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Bawlmer Duke - 09-10-2021 12:14 PM

Get us out of the FloSports world

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - 2Buck - 09-10-2021 12:18 PM

If (when) we don't end up in the AAC we will join a conference that is now weaker than it was when we had a shot.

SBC will most likely be missing App St and CUSA missing some form of ODU/Marshall/UAB.

Our inaction has propped up schools like Ga St, Coastal and Liberty ahead of us. Hope the lesson is finally learned and some major boosters are pushing our "leaders" into action.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - 2Buck - 09-10-2021 12:21 PM

(09-10-2021 11:50 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  But, but it said "any conference" and CAA is a conference and did not say "FBS" so it must be "CAA4Lyfe" right? Right????

/sarcasm off

The timing of this is glorious. They didn't wait a day or a week later. If that doesn't say they are open to joining the FBS, nothing will.
But we could get an invite, accept the invite, and some would still say we were committed to the CAA.

This could happen way sooner than I expected. The AAC is open to expansion and even if we aren't going to the AAC, the dominos are going to fall. This is the time to move and it appears the admin is aware of it.

It will never happen "way sooner" than I expected. Anyone who experienced JMU in the 80s/90s expected this to happen 20 years ago.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - KickItToScotty - 09-10-2021 12:27 PM

I think a statement like this one while leaving out any kind of praise for the CAA or "we're happy where we are, but" crap is the closest you're gonna see to the "we want the hell out of the CAA" that all the fans are thinking. This statement is great to see imo, and definitely much much better than the last one.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - DukeQuin - 09-10-2021 12:33 PM

(09-10-2021 12:18 PM)2Buck Wrote:  If (when) we don't end up in the AAC we will join a conference that is now weaker than it was when we had a shot.

SBC will most likely be missing App St and CUSA missing some form of ODU/Marshall/UAB.

Our inaction has propped up schools like Ga St, Coastal and Liberty ahead of us. Hope the lesson is finally learned and some major boosters are pushing our "leaders" into action.

I'm interested to see if we're willing to move to a less-than-ideal situation.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Rock House Duke - 09-10-2021 12:35 PM

(09-10-2021 12:18 PM)2Buck Wrote:  If (when) we don't end up in the AAC we will join a conference that is now weaker than it was when we had a shot.

This is a legitimate concern I have during this round of conference realignment. Remember how excited ODU was to join a league with ECU, Memphis, and Houston only for those schools to announce a month later they were going to the AAC. I’m afraid we will be stuck in a similar situation.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Pitz - 09-10-2021 12:40 PM

Fun exercise:

If you're the AAC commissioner, and you have carte blanche to select any four schools from the Sun Belt/CUSA/FCS to bolster your conference, which four schools are you taking?

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - jmu98 - 09-10-2021 12:43 PM

(09-10-2021 12:35 PM)Rock House Duke Wrote:  

This is a legitimate concern I have during this round of conference realignment. Remember how excited ODU was to join a league with ECU, Memphis, and Houston only for those schools to announce a month later they were going to the AAC. I’m afraid we will be stuck in a similar situation.

Based on how AAC is talking I don't see them wanting a Marshall, as I think they want bigger markets. Not that I agree, but I think if they can't get some MWC schools (unlikely) that they will take UAB, GaSt, Rice and then possibly ODU. This would be good for us as I think we would have a very good shot at SBC with them taking ultimately 4 schools and CUSA being completely neutered beyond repair. In the end AAC will have markets and maybe a better TV deal, but SBC will be the best G5 conference.

One thing that people are not taking into consideration in a lot of this is ESPN. ESPN owns these entities and they will have a say in who is added. ESPN knows that JMU can bring fans and eyeballs at a good rate for this level of conference and will definitely be a plus for us in all of this. FCS is a minus, but not really sure how much of one it will really be at least for SBC.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - MarginalDuke - 09-10-2021 12:43 PM

I agree that losing Appy would be a big concern for us joining but based on the SBC release today, I get a feeling that SBC might stay intact. If I'm App, I think that there might be more potential in the SBC and I think when the CFP expands, that App has a good route where they are at now and I don't think the AAC is too appealing for them.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMad03 - 09-10-2021 12:49 PM

(09-10-2021 12:43 PM)jmu98 Wrote:  

Based on how AAC is talking I don't see them wanting a Marshall, as I think they want bigger markets. Not that I agree, but I think if they can't get some MWC schools (unlikely) that they will take UAB, GaSt, Rice and then possibly ODU. This would be good for us as I think we would have a very good shot at SBC with them taking ultimately 4 schools and CUSA being completely neutered beyond repair. In the end AAC will have markets and maybe a better TV deal, but SBC will be the best G5 conference.

One thing that people are not taking into consideration in a lot of this is ESPN. ESPN owns these entities and they will have a say in who is added. ESPN knows that JMU can bring fans and eyeballs at a good rate for this level of conference and will definitely be a plus for us in all of this. FCS is a minus, but not really sure how much of one it will really be at least for SBC.

Everything we've done, we've been able to do as an FCS and in a small conference.
They could twist that as a selling point: look at what we could do if you put us in a good conference. The admin has not been sitting on being a football school and as a result almost every program we have competes at the highest level of the conference. And when we play big name schools, we have shown we can not only compete, but win.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - 2Buck - 09-10-2021 01:18 PM

(09-10-2021 12:49 PM)JMad03 Wrote:  

Everything we've done, we've been able to do as an FCS and in a small conference.
They could twist that as a selling point: look at what we could do if you put us in a good conference. The admin has not been sitting on being a football school and as a result almost every program we have competes at the highest level of the conference. And when we play big name schools, we have shown we can not only compete, but win.

You know JMU has a high ceiling. I know JMU has a high ceiling. We have done a sh!tty job of progressing that at a national level. The AAC wants proof. App St is a school that has proven they are on the right trajectory and it's ALL because of football. Because of football, the AAC would be willing to overlook all the other glaring "small-time school" warts App has (most much bigger warts than JMU has).

Just look at UCF, they leap-frogged storied programs with decades of national history, just because of football and tens of thousands of commuter students. These conferences could care less about success in tennis or a new badminton field. Coastal has done more in their 4 years of crappy SBC membership than we did with decades of FCS trophies and playoff losses.

We've been a national university with regional leadership for far too long. Get this right and make up for you past ineptitude motherf@#kers.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Duke Dawg - 09-10-2021 01:19 PM

one thing people are not taking into consideration is the AAC>Big12 moves are not taking effect until 2024....BYU will join in 2023.

we could in theory, be added to the AAC this summer, then take our 2 purgatory years in 2022/2023 and be a full member of the AAC with all rights/eligibility, etc right when the 3 others (plus USF and Memphis likely too) leave for the Big12.

AAC is not an unrealistic conference to join. But IF it is even a viable one.
once those 5 leave (Cincy/UH/Mem/UCF/USF), it is a lot less attractive (SMU/Tulsa/Tulane/ECU/Temple/Navy). Any move would need to be predicated on the right schools going with us (Marshall/AppSt/ODU). Otherwise its just CUSA 3.0. A far flung league of a bunch of schools with nothing in common.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Duke Dawg - 09-10-2021 01:30 PM

two options:

A - Fun Belt

East - App State, Ga Southern, Ga State, Coastal, JMU, Marshall
West - Ark St, Louisiana, UL Monroe, Texas St, South Ala, Troy

B - new AAC
East - ECU, Temple, Navy, JMU, ODU, Marshall
West - SMU, Tulane, Tulsa, So Miss, UAB, Rice

'B' has more traditional powers. But this is about the future.

I'm not so sure 'A' isn't a better fit for JMU and a better league and more STABLE league going forward

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - KickItToScotty - 09-10-2021 01:42 PM

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1436398010137784325?s=19

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Duke Dawg - 09-10-2021 01:46 PM

(09-10-2021 01:42 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1436398010137784325?s=19

yep. like i said a couple posts up, the 2 year purgatory can start next year if we join a league this summer/fall.

so by the time all these changes actually happen, we will be a full FBS member.

i'm sure jmu is thinking this and pushing hard for a move now.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Pitz - 09-10-2021 01:47 PM

(09-10-2021 01:42 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1436398010137784325?s=19

Ladies and gentlemen, we officially have smoke.