CSNbbs
Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-288.html)
+----- Forum: JMU Archives (/forum-1006.html)
+----- Thread: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 (/thread-909885.html)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - SlyFox - 09-08-2021 01:09 PM

Apples to oranges with regard to LU considering most of that time was spent in FCS. And that last bowl game vs.Coastal was far from an outlier. It featured two Top 20 teams in prime time.

And I am surprised to hear that none of our games last season on ACC Network vs. Syracuse, Virginia Tech & NC State generated at least 166k viewers. That's curious.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - olddawg - 09-08-2021 01:57 PM

Let me preface this by saying I have posted on another conference / team site a total of ONE time. I have though, since Friday, been reading the C-USA and AAC re-alignment threads. It's truly worth a visit. Fans from all over the place (yet oddly, comparatively few from the existing AAC schools) piping in. The mentality seems to be that if you throw out the same tired and factually inaccurate argument 37 different times, that will win you the discussion.

While we have some pretty delusional fans over here sometimes, we are nothing compared to the pimping and whoring that's going on over there- primarily the AAC realignment thread. My logic teacher from JMU would be rolling over in her grave with the amount of logical fallacies thrown out on that thread. But even beyond that, the constant bickering about which team with warts is prettier than the other is comical. "Pick me, pick me, pick me".

Sure will be interesting to see how this plays out.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - bcp_jmu - 09-08-2021 05:37 PM

Liberty and ODU getting mentions to join the AAC

I'll just leave it at that

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - jmu98 - 09-08-2021 06:16 PM

(09-08-2021 05:37 PM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  Liberty and ODU getting mentions to join the AAC

On a message board. I would say ODU has a way better chance than Liberty, but a small chance at that. Liberty has no shot as whether you agree or not most University Presidents do not want to associate with Liberty. Not saying its right, but it is factual.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMU2004 - 09-08-2021 06:31 PM

(09-08-2021 06:16 PM)jmu98 Wrote:  
(09-08-2021 05:37 PM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  Liberty and ODU getting mentions to join the AAC

On a message board. I would say ODU has a way better chance than Liberty, but a small chance at that. Liberty has no shot as whether you agree or not most University Presidents do not want to associate with Liberty. Not saying its right, but it is factual.

Actually, seeing plenty of sports writers mentioning those as possibilities. Not saying they're right, but it is not just message board posters.

Additionally, I'm not seeing ANY mention of JMU in the AAC chatter beyond this message board.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - olddawg - 09-08-2021 06:44 PM

(09-08-2021 06:31 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  

Actually, seeing plenty of sports writers mentioning those as possibilities. Not saying they're right, but it is not just message board posters.

Additionally, I'm not seeing ANY mention of JMU in the AAC chatter beyond this message board.

I had hoped that we were doing some back room maneuvering over the years to make this remotely possible. I was just kidding myself. Rightly or wrongly, and there are valid arguments both ways, this was never going happen as a single step from FCS. You want to sit at the Captain's table in first class, you have to have a first class ticket to begin with.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMUDuke25 - 09-08-2021 06:48 PM

Have these east coast schools realized how great of a conference they can have? I would have thought a handful of intelligent people in charge would have figured this out a decade ago.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - herdfan129 - 09-08-2021 08:20 PM

(09-03-2021 08:53 PM)panama Wrote:  The only way the AAC is adding someone outside of their institutional profile is if they run out of available options and their institutional profile is "Member universities represent a range of private and public universities of various enrollment sizes located primarily in urban metropolitan areas in the Northeastern, Midwestern, and Southern regions of the United States.["

They are a bunch of urban R1s.

Fin

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

(09-08-2021 01:09 PM)SlyFox Wrote:  Apples to oranges with regard to LU considering most of that time was spent in FCS. And that last bowl game vs.Coastal was far from an outlier. It featured two Top 20 teams in prime time.

And I am surprised to hear that none of our games last season on ACC Network vs. Syracuse, Virginia Tech & NC State generated at least 166k viewers. That's curious.

As for your bowl game numbers. I agree with you 100%. That's what I would have expected in terms of numbers and you guys delivered. I don't think it's an outlier, but it's hard to do an average with only one game to go by if that makes sense.

For the games you mentioned, I can't find them on there, but it's possible I over looked them. Some teams have different abbreviations even within the same year so it makes it hard sometimes.

Here is the link. If you find them in there and I messed it up then let me know so I can update the post.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

Here are the games I was able to find on the list. Also, for the record, Liberty is my 2nd favorite team. I have been watching for last 2-3 years casually, but obviously got sucked to all in last season. My 2nd favorite team used to be Florida State, but they are now 3rd 04-cheers

Liberty Average TV Ratings Since 2013

Other than the bowl game vs Coastal their biggest TV audience was 166k vs BYU.

ESPN- 2.62 Million (One game; Bowl Game vs Coastal)
ESPN2- 133k (One game)
ESPNU- 142k (One game with no rating and not included in this average.)
FS1- 137k

vs Coastal 2.62 Million ESPN
vs ULM 133k ESPN2
vs WKU 117k ESPNU
vs WCU N/A ESPNU

vs BYU 166k ESPNU

vs Baylor 137K FS2

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - herdfan129 - 09-08-2021 08:26 PM

(09-03-2021 08:53 PM)panama Wrote:  The only way the AAC is adding someone outside of their institutional profile is if they run out of available options and their institutional profile is "Member universities represent a range of private and public universities of various enrollment sizes located primarily in urban metropolitan areas in the Northeastern, Midwestern, and Southern regions of the United States.["

Fin

(09-08-2021 01:57 PM)olddawg Wrote:  Let me preface this by saying I have posted on another conference / team site a total of ONE time. I have though, since Friday, been reading the C-USA and AAC re-alignment threads. It's truly worth a visit. Fans from all over the place (yet oddly, comparatively few from the existing AAC schools) piping in. The mentality seems to be that if you throw out the same tired and factually inaccurate argument 37 different times, that will win you the discussion.

While we have some pretty delusional fans over here sometimes, we are nothing compared to the pimping and whoring that's going on over there- primarily the AAC realignment thread. My logic teacher from JMU would be rolling over in her grave with the amount of logical fallacies thrown out on that thread. But even beyond that, the constant bickering about which team with warts is prettier than the other is comical. "Pick me, pick me, pick me".

I know JMU is content being the biggest fish in the FCS pond, but the rest of us aspire to play at the highest level. Even though the odds are against us, we still want to try until there are no other options. Getting in to the AAC this go around could be everyone's last chance to make the next jump. Whoever wins big over the next few years in the AAC (Access Bowls, Top Rankings, etc) they will at the very least be in the discussion for future Big 12 expansion.

So you can laugh at it all you want, but most of the G5 fans know this is potentially the last life boat leaving the Titanic.

Does anyone think the other message board posters are making decisions, or that our posts will make a difference? Of course not....BUT, its something we all find interesting and enjoy chatting about. That's why I come to this board. This is the only thread I comment on. There's a lot of people who enjoy discussing conference realignment for various different reasons.

On that note, thank you all for having one of the longest and best discussions on this topic, and thank you for allowing outsiders like myself to come here and participate. 04-cheers

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - MarginalDuke - 09-08-2021 08:27 PM

Interesting report out there that the estimated Big 12 per school media revenue value centers around $22.5 million. Bob Bowlsby said earlier that Texas and OU alone made up $14 million of the current $28 million per school. By this logic, the new quartet of schools save about $8 million in value per year.

While BYU is driving a good portion of that value, I imagine that this will still severely dampen the value that ESPN places on the AAC rights. Will be interesting to see the AAC’s quoted value post-departure and I can’t imagine adding most schools will move the needle much to recover.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - herdfan129 - 09-08-2021 08:29 PM

Fin

As a Liberty fan, I don't want to join a conference. Liberty will be the BYU of the east in another 10-15 years.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - herdfan129 - 09-08-2021 08:31 PM

Fin

As I have mentioned in the past. JMU has absolutely 0% chance of getting invited to the AAC.

If you had moved up to the Sun Belt or CUSA back in 2014 then I think you all would have been successful at the G5 level. If you had moved up and been successful then I think you would be right in the thick of these discussions. Unfortunately for you guys, the AAC is not going to add ANYONE from the FCS level.

I've even seen Coastal's name thrown out there. That's how important FBS success is compared to FCS success.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - herdfan129 - 09-08-2021 08:34 PM

Fin

(09-08-2021 06:48 PM)JMUDuke25 Wrote:  Have these east coast schools realized how great of a conference they can have? I would have thought a handful of intelligent people in charge would have figured this out a decade ago.

It's not about that...YET. Once the final door is sealed at the higher levels then that discussion will take place. Until then, everyone is going to continue trying to move up and better position themselves for that golden opportunity.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - herdfan129 - 09-08-2021 08:35 PM

Fin

(09-08-2021 08:27 PM)MarginalDuke Wrote:  Interesting report out there that the estimated Big 12 per school media revenue value centers around $22.5 million. Bob Bowlsby said earlier that Texas and OU alone made up $14 million of the current $28 million per school. By this logic, the new quartet of schools save about $8 million in value per year.

While BYU is driving a good portion of that value, I imagine that this will still severely dampen the value that ESPN places on the AAC rights. Will be interesting to see the AAC’s quoted value post-departure and I can’t imagine adding most schools will move the needle much to recover.

Depends on who they add etc. ESPN will definitely have a say so in things. I expect it to drop by at least 50%. Right now it's $7 million per school. I think the maximum would be $3.5 million per school. Just my uneducated guess.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - MarginalDuke - 09-08-2021 08:39 PM

(09-08-2021 08:31 PM)herdfan129 Wrote:  

Fin

As I have mentioned in the past. JMU has absolutely 0% chance of getting invited to the AAC.

If you had moved up to the Sun Belt or CUSA back in 2014 then I think you all would have been successful at the G5 level. If you had moved up and been successful then I think you would be right in the thick of these discussions. Unfortunately for you guys, the AAC is not going to add ANYONE from the FCS level.

I've even seen Coastal's name thrown out there. That's how important FBS success is compared to FCS success.

I’m with herdfan, the FCS label is way too much risk for a conference who needs to reassert themselves the top G5 or second-to-top G6 depending who you ask. The AAC looks really dumb if JMU can’t rise to the occasion and as ECU proved, bottom dwelling cycles are hard to break.

My ideal scenario isn’t the AAC but rather the CUSA-Sun Belt remnants realizing they aren’t getting a seat anywhere close to P5 and JMU joins the reshuffle with them.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - MarginalDuke - 09-08-2021 08:44 PM

(09-08-2021 08:35 PM)herdfan129 Wrote:  

Fin

(09-08-2021 08:27 PM)MarginalDuke Wrote:  Interesting report out there that the estimated Big 12 per school media revenue value centers around $22.5 million. Bob Bowlsby said earlier that Texas and OU alone made up $14 million of the current $28 million per school. By this logic, the new quartet of schools save about $8 million in value per year.

Depends on who they add etc. ESPN will definitely have a say so in things. I expect it to drop by at least 50%. Right now it's $7 million per school. I think the maximum would be $3.5 million per school. Just my uneducated guess.

I think $3-3.5 million would be fair. I think part of that $7 million also carried UConn basketball’s value and ESPN decided not to renegotiate, so that might come out too.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Purple - 09-08-2021 09:13 PM

(09-08-2021 08:26 PM)herdfan129 Wrote:  

Fin

(09-08-2021 01:57 PM)olddawg Wrote:  Let me preface this by saying I have posted on another conference / team site a total of ONE time. I have though, since Friday, been reading the C-USA and AAC re-alignment threads. It's truly worth a visit. Fans from all over the place (yet oddly, comparatively few from the existing AAC schools) piping in. The mentality seems to be that if you throw out the same tired and factually inaccurate argument 37 different times, that will win you the discussion.

I know JMU is content being the biggest fish in the FCS pond, but the rest of us aspire to play at the highest level. Even though the odds are against us, we still want to try until there are no other options. Getting in to the AAC this go around could be everyone's last chance to make the next jump. Whoever wins big over the next few years in the AAC (Access Bowls, Top Rankings, etc) they will at the very least be in the discussion for future Big 12 expansion.

So you can laugh at it all you want, but most of the G5 fans know this is potentially the last life boat leaving the Titanic.

Does anyone think the other message board posters are making decisions, or that our posts will make a difference? Of course not....BUT, its something we all find interesting and enjoy chatting about. That's why I come to this board. This is the only thread I comment on. There's a lot of people who enjoy discussing conference realignment for various different reasons.

On that note, thank you all for having one of the longest and best discussions on this topic, and thank you for allowing outsiders like myself to come here and participate. 04-cheers

Thank you for your fine contributions to our board.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Purple - 09-08-2021 09:14 PM

(09-08-2021 08:29 PM)herdfan129 Wrote:  

Fin

As a Liberty fan, I don't want to join a conference. Liberty will be the BYU of the east in another 10-15 years.

....or less. I wish JMU would follow your lead. You can do great things in a short time as an indy.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - bcp_jmu - 09-08-2021 09:49 PM

Right - these were from sports reporters and industry folks........ easy enough to google - i'm not talking about banter on a message board

They are in tthe conversation

We seem to be banking on one of two miracles to be HAPPY FROM DAY ONE WITH PERFECT SITUATION
1 - MECC (makes sense but so many dominos have to fall)
2 - AAC (we'd do well, but zero chance of FCS call up - it's never happened)

We are great but we're not that special and shouldn't bank on miracles. Follow the model ALL OTHER TEAMS have followed - join FBS, perform, national interest, move up over time

Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - ODU1986 - 09-09-2021 05:45 AM

Due to travel issues, Im not so sure ODU will accept an AAC invitation if one comes our way. Pretty sure our administration would prefer the regional realignment but I suppose what happens with us is dependent upon who gets those invitations and who doesn’t.

So be nice to the ODU blue because if we don’t go to the AAC, we are going to need each other (JMU and ODU) if there is any hope at all of that new realigned mid-Atlantic conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk