CSNbbs
Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-288.html)
+----- Forum: JMU Archives (/forum-1006.html)
+----- Thread: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 (/thread-909885.html)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - FMRocket - 08-27-2021 06:35 PM

Come aboard with the MAC and bring friends ( Marshall/ Liberty/ or fill in the blanks ——- )...
This is one MAC fan that would love to have JMU in the conference...
- JMU = Passionate fan base / very nice facilities, and storied FCS history ...04-cheers

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - olddawg - 08-27-2021 08:12 PM

(08-27-2021 03:25 PM)JMad03 Wrote:  
(08-27-2021 02:45 PM)olddawg Wrote:  
(08-27-2021 01:44 PM)Dukester Wrote:  I heard today the big 12 was looking at BYU.

I honestly have no idea if BYU is looking. Personally, I think any addition that does not include them is just plain foolish. No one really comes close to the bang for buck you would get with them. They have an upside too due to their deep coffers, but come ready made w/ TV, fanbase, facilities etc.

I'm always amused at religious arguments involving conference affiliation. It's mostly PR, cover your ass crap. It's a damn greedy world these days. Lotta shady schools and dealings out there. It's business, not religion. Get BYU onboard and tell them not to publicly flaunt the religious stuff while competing in sports. If I want to survive as the Big12, I'm going after BYU, Boise, Cinn and UCF. Leaves UCF on an island but I think they expected that anyway. And gets Big12 into the FL. market.

It is business, but some businesses ARE religion. I think schools where religion is strict and impacts what a student can or cannot do is where conferences get concerned.
Liberty has some really strict policies and right now no conference wants to touch them. Do you not understand why? Case in point: we've had discussions here about not wanting to be affiliated with Liberty in any way (I really cannot think of any conversations where someone has said they wanted to be in the same conference as Liberty). Perhaps some feel the same about BYU.
As for your BYU comment: do you really think BYU would be okay with that? Imagine telling Liberty the same thing. They are not going to be okay with that. Their business is based on religious practices.
The world IS greedy, and also don't want to make decisions to cost them time and money. Some of the decisions these schools make can be pretty controversial. Is it worth the risk to these conferences? Does the school offer more than the risk? In many of these cases, the answer is no.

Valid questions for sure. BYU is not Liberty though. I say that because they have been in the public sports main arena much longer. They have had some great success in the past without public outcry. The new "concerns" are not mine. While I recognize that there are more sensitive souls that do have issues with them, I choose to separate sports from politics and religion. And I am quite content that I do (and get very annoyed when they are needlessly mixed). Others will differ and I respect that. But if I'm a Big12 power broker trying to get as close as possible to the strength of the old Big12, and fighting for their life as a viable top level conference, I'm including BYU. Probably hiring an army of PR guys too, but that's secondary.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - madizoned-level2004 - 08-28-2021 10:14 AM

I think the bigger practical gripe regarding BYU and its religious affiliation comes to scheduling. They're the only major college program that doesn't play games, in any sport, on Sundays. Collegiate athletics scheduling is frustratingly difficult enough without blocking off 14% of the days on the calendar from the get-go. It would affect conference tournament scheduling too. Now is that reason enough for a conference to discard them, IDK, but it's something ppl always seem to bring up when talking about BYU and P5 conferences.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - HyperDuke - 08-28-2021 11:30 AM

BYU football-only
Colorado State
Cincinnati
Houston (or Memphis or UCF)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - 94computerguy - 08-29-2021 02:48 PM

(08-27-2021 03:11 PM)All Dukes_All Day Wrote:  I'm a little too young to remember but was there controversy surrounding the catholic/jesuit schools (basically the current Big East) during the rounds of realignment in the 80s and 90s? I know all of those schools are basically religious in name on only at this point but I've never heard Georgetown or Villanova's status being any sort of detriment to them.

I think the issue was that the Jesuit schools were unhappy with all the compromises they'd have to make to be "big basketball schools." So they formed a league where they could (presumably) stick to their educational priorities and, while still having good basketball, could leave the "semipro NBA" approach to other schools.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - 94computerguy - 08-29-2021 02:52 PM

(08-27-2021 03:25 PM)JMad03 Wrote:  It is business, but some businesses ARE religion. I think schools where religion is strict and impacts what a student can or cannot do is where conferences get concerned.
Liberty has some really strict policies and right now no conference wants to touch them. Do you not understand why? Case in point: we've had discussions here about not wanting to be affiliated with Liberty in any way (I really cannot think of any conversations where someone has said they wanted to be in the same conference as Liberty). Perhaps some feel the same about BYU.
As for your BYU comment: do you really think BYU would be okay with that? Imagine telling Liberty the same thing. They are not going to be okay with that. Their business is based on religious practices.
The world IS greedy, and also don't want to make decisions to cost them time and money. Some of the decisions these schools make can be pretty controversial. Is it worth the risk to these conferences? Does the school offer more than the risk? In many of these cases, the answer is no.

Despite my political opinions on Liberty, I think they simply view football & basketball as marketing opportunities. They're a private school, so are thus looking to broaden their notoriety nationwide. And because the school's mission is partially to "evangelize" and increase their exposure, they're allowed to put more $ into football than would be "ideal" if they were simply happy being in a regional conference. The same things apply to Notre Dame and BYU -- they recruit students nationwide, and like it or not, the students they're after might be more influenced by a successful athletic program than would your average student. So they view the role and relative value of those sports differently than the schools in their neighborhood.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - DirtyDukes - 09-02-2021 12:42 PM

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - boozeNammo - 09-02-2021 12:53 PM

let me get my popcorn...

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMU2004 - 09-02-2021 12:58 PM

So the AAC would be down to 8 in that scenario.

Honestly, I'm not sure why the Big 12 doesn't just go for the kill shot and take Memphis/USF as well.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMU - 09-02-2021 01:09 PM

(09-02-2021 12:58 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  So the AAC would be down to 8 in that scenario.

Honestly, I'm not sure why the Big 12 doesn't just go for the kill shot and take Memphis/USF as well.

Agree -

UCF and USF - travel partners
Memphis and Cincinnati - Same

This move could force CUSA and Sunbelt into reorganizing, swapping teams and maybe add a few (JMU) to become better aligned geographically.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Hart Foundation - 09-02-2021 01:10 PM

Interesting that they don’t want SMU for Dallas, old oil money, nostalgic Southwest conference rivalries.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - KickItToScotty - 09-02-2021 01:11 PM

Throw in those remaining eight AAC schools along with the CUSA and Sun Belt + JMU and it seems like a reshuffle could really make some solid conferences that make a lot of sense geographically. Unfortunate that things are really unlikely to actually make that much sense, wonder how many the AAC will look to snatch up if the Big 12 goes with those four.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - boozeNammo - 09-02-2021 01:15 PM

Oh man... sure would have been nice to have a phat FBS game this weekend against someone like, uh, East Carolina. 03-wink

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - PGJMU2 - 09-02-2021 01:17 PM

any movement is good movement.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - NJDuke97 - 09-02-2021 01:21 PM

(09-02-2021 01:10 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Interesting that they don’t want SMU for Dallas, old oil money, nostalgic Southwest conference rivalries.

Private though right- I think the only private school
In the Big 12 today is Baylor.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - KickItToScotty - 09-02-2021 01:32 PM

(09-02-2021 01:21 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  
(09-02-2021 01:10 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Interesting that they don’t want SMU for Dallas, old oil money, nostalgic Southwest conference rivalries.

Private though right- I think the only private school
In the Big 12 today is Baylor.

TCU as well.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - NJDuke97 - 09-02-2021 01:33 PM

(09-02-2021 01:09 PM)JMU Wrote:  
(09-02-2021 12:58 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  So the AAC would be down to 8 in that scenario.

Agree -

This move could force CUSA and Sunbelt into reorganizing, swapping teams and maybe add a few (JMU) to become better aligned geographically.

Would think Memphis would have to be next in line if for some reason Byu prefers independence. Memphis to me would be the only AAC school left that has a Power 5 feel to it in terms of market support facilities team success etc. That would be ideal for JMUs interests as well. The AAC minus their 4 biggest and best football schools would be at 7.

My guess is a diminished AAC would make even less sense for the Mw schools so the AAC would end up with one additional Florida school (Fiu or Fau) one additional Texas school (Rice Utep or North Texas), maybe UAB , and then the next 1-2 schools would be kind of up in the air. Maybe Georgia State for a presence in Atlanta if they think they are up to the task on the field?

Regardless, this would be good for JMU- JMU could fill one of those last Aac spots or for sure backfill in a more regionalized CUSA.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Purplehazed - 09-02-2021 01:56 PM

(09-02-2021 01:33 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  

Agree -

Would think Memphis would have to be next in line if for some reason Byu prefers independence. Memphis to me would be the only AAC school left that has a Power 5 feel to it in terms of market support facilities team success etc. That would be ideal for JMUs interests as well. The AAC minus their 4 biggest and best football schools would be at 7.

My guess is a diminished AAC would make even less sense for the Mw schools so the AAC would end up with one additional Florida school (Fiu or Fau) one additional Texas school (Rice Utep or North Texas), maybe UAB , and then the next 1-2 schools would be kind of up in the air. Maybe Georgia State for a presence in Atlanta if they think they are up to the task on the field?

Regardless, this would be good for JMU- JMU could fill one of those last Aac spots or for sure backfill in a more regionalized CUSA.

The AAC would have to take an attitude adjustment ?.

I get what the AAC tried with the P6 marketing but the top 4 to the big12 puts them in the middle of G5 land.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMad03 - 09-02-2021 02:09 PM

(09-02-2021 01:56 PM)Purplehazed Wrote:  
(09-02-2021 01:33 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  

Agree -

The AAC would have to take an attitude adjustment ?.

I get what the AAC tried with the P6 marketing but the top 4 to the big12 puts them in the middle of G5 land.

If they lost the schools currently being mentioned? At least from a point of view of who they bring in.
The "FCS" label wouldn't mean as much. Aside from that label, we'd have everything they could ask for.
In terms of their marketing, I could definitely see them toning it down a bit. However, if they bring in schools that can win and are successful, they could probably ramp it up again.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - HyperDuke - 09-02-2021 02:15 PM

BYU is going to be on an island with this setup. Colorado State is a PERFECT institutional fit with P5 athletic facilities.

UCF? Seems like a reach, but I guess maybe not?