CSNbbs
Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-288.html)
+----- Forum: JMU Archives (/forum-1006.html)
+----- Thread: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 (/thread-909885.html)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - mturn017 - 08-10-2021 10:24 AM

Conference realignment is not necessarily a meritocracy. It's not a job interview with the best candidate picked. It's political and to create said east coast conference (if possible) we would need a lot of schools already in the conferences we're looking to blow up to buy in. It won't matter if you think you're better than those schools or even if it's true. They're the players in what's happening, JMU is not.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - bcp_jmu - 08-10-2021 10:38 AM

(08-10-2021 08:51 AM)PGJMU2 Wrote:  
(08-09-2021 10:05 PM)herdfan129 Wrote:  I’m honestly trying to look at the numbers and wonder where JMU fits in?

12 would be the absolute most teams involved but honestly no reason to go past 10. I think we would go to 12 though, just based on the teams in CUSA and the Sun Belt. There’s 7 CUSA East teams and 5 Sun Belt East teams. That’s 12 teams right there. The only schools who might get left out would be the Alabama schools such as Troy/USA.

UAB can join if they want, but I don’t think they want to share a conference with Troy/USA.

if the mythical conference is formed, we will be in it.

"book it!" ?

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMaddy - 08-10-2021 11:22 AM

https://footballscoop.com/news/kansas-state-ad-cfp-member-gene-taylor-says-expansion-done-for-now

K-State AD's point of view on things. Sounds like he is in denial, but there it is.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - herdfan129 - 08-10-2021 11:42 AM

(08-10-2021 10:24 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  Conference realignment is not necessarily a meritocracy. It's not a job interview with the best candidate picked. It's political and to create said east coast conference (if possible) we would need a lot of schools already in the conferences we're looking to blow up to buy in. It won't matter if you think you're better than those schools or even if it's true. They're the players in what's happening, JMU is not.

Thank you. That’s what I’m trying to point out to them. Not sure why it’s hard for some of them to understand. There are only x amount of seats for y amount of teams.

Any new conference will start and stop with the already existing teams in Sun Belt East and CUSA East + UAB/So Miss.

Then you have to think the absolute max number will be 14 but I ONLY see that happening if both UAB and So Miss want to join as they would be worth moving to 14. Outside of that, 12 would be the absolute max but 10 would be the perfect/ideal number.

There’s already 12 teams between CUSA East and Sun Belt East. Why would we expand to 13 just to add JMU? The only other scenario where I could see 14 would be possible (not likely) if Liberty wanted to join and was going to spend a bunch of money to jump start the conference.

JMU might have seriously missed the boat by not moving to FBS last go around, just from a numbers standpoint. If you do get in it will be by the skin of your teeth.... which is a shame cause you definitely DESERVE to be included and would make a great addition to the conference.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - mturn017 - 08-10-2021 12:02 PM

(08-10-2021 11:42 AM)herdfan129 Wrote:  
(08-10-2021 10:24 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  Conference realignment is not necessarily a meritocracy. It's not a job interview with the best candidate picked. It's political and to create said east coast conference (if possible) we would need a lot of schools already in the conferences we're looking to blow up to buy in. It won't matter if you think you're better than those schools or even if it's true. They're the players in what's happening, JMU is not.

Thank you. That’s what I’m trying to point out to them. Not sure why it’s hard for some of them to understand. There are only x amount of seats for y amount of teams.

Any new conference will start and stop with the already existing teams in Sun Belt East and CUSA East + UAB/So Miss.

Then you have to think the absolute max number will be 14 but I ONLY see that happening if both UAB and So Miss want to join as they would be worth moving to 14. Outside of that, 12 would be the absolute max but 10 would be the perfect/ideal number.

There’s already 12 teams between CUSA East and Sun Belt East. Why would we expand to 13 just to add JMU? The only other scenario where I could see 14 would be possible (not likely) if Liberty wanted to join and was going to spend a bunch of money to jump start the conference.

JMU might have seriously missed the boat by not moving to FBS last go around, just from a numbers standpoint. If you do get in it will be by the skin of your teeth.... which is a shame cause you definitely DESERVE to be included and would make a great addition to the conference.

Well, there's a lot that cold happen. The AAC could take one or a couple. The top tier could break off completely into another subdivision or out of the NCAA altogether creating a cataclysmic shift through college football. Hopefully the AAC get's eaten up enough that we can get ECU and Temple in on the action. No way of knowing. But if it happened today, I'd agree with you that rearranging the SB and CUSA wouldn't leave much room for anyone new. Then again if it happened today I don't think we'd get enough to go along either.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - olddawg - 08-10-2021 12:33 PM

If it does come down to Carr getting involved, I wonder who would be paying them? Reason I'm asking- is that if Carr were truly being "objective" in forming the best possible regional conference, that objectivity probably would suggest not including some current C-USA & Sun Belt members. (even ones who are currently considered "Eastern".) Otherwise, you are asking Carr to form the best possible regional conference, but mandating 80% of the pieces before they even looked at it.

There is dead weight there, weight that has a ceiling and has reached it, w/ a long track record of mediocrity, lack of fan support and just plain indifference. It would suck to be a school that helped pay for a reorganization report...and then find that the report indicates your school is considered a dragging anchor.

IMHO, it's cutthroat time- much like when the Mountain West broke away from the bloated WAC. Feelings will (and need) to be hurt. Secret airport meetings need to occur. It'll be interesting.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - herdfan129 - 08-10-2021 12:45 PM

(08-10-2021 12:33 PM)olddawg Wrote:  If it does come down to Carr getting involved, I wonder who would be paying them? Reason I'm asking- is that if Carr were truly being "objective" in forming the best possible regional conference, that objectivity probably would suggest not including some current C-USA & Sun Belt members. (even ones who are currently considered "Eastern".) Otherwise, you are asking Carr to form the best possible regional conference, but mandating 80% of the pieces before they even looked at it.

There is dead weight there, weight that has a ceiling and has reached it, w/ a long track record of mediocrity, lack of fan support and just plain indifference. It would suck to be a school that helped pay for a reorganization report...and then find that the report indicates your school is considered a dragging anchor.

IMHO, it's cutthroat time- much like when the Mountain West broke away from the bloated WAC. Feelings will (and need) to be hurt. Secret airport meetings need to occur. It'll be interesting.

I would love to see a true, best of the rest conference put together with eastern teams. The biggest hold up with that is the AQ to NCAAT and CFP contracts. That’s why I think all of this will be more likely to include a re-organization of the existing conferences... just seem really hard and complicated to form a new conference.

AAC won’t get crushed imo. I think the Big 12 will only add two schools with one of those being BYU. This means the AAC will only lose one school Houston/Cincy/UCF... that will put them at 10 and they won’t add anyone else.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Purple - 08-10-2021 02:03 PM

(08-10-2021 11:42 AM)herdfan129 Wrote:  

I agree. Schools that already bear the FBS label will likely be chosen to fill spots in a new FBS conference and FBS conferences that were poached by other conferences. I just don't see a conference taking any FCS school over an existing FBS school.

The answer is FBS indy. Were we FBS indy now, we would definitely be a prime candidate for a conference spot (if we wanted it). But, instead, we continue to monitor the situation from the FCS kiddie pool. Brilliant!

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - bcp_jmu - 08-10-2021 02:12 PM

c'mon man..be fair ...we're not just monitoring the situation - we are also publicly praising the CAA

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - KickItToScotty - 08-10-2021 02:22 PM

I definitely don't think being FCS hurts us to the point Purple says, where no conference is going to take any FCS school over any FBS. There might be some situations, like everyone's pie in the sky hope for an AAC invite, where that becomes a factor. Overall though, I think if it hurts us it's most likely to be in the way that herdfan and mturn are talking, where there's some reshuffle of CUSA/SBC teams so that current teams aren't going to be told to kick rocks and that means only so many seats at the table.

I was a lot more worried about that before the Texas/OU thing than now though. Before it seemed like one of the most likely events to kick off realignment might be those conferences deciding to do something like that. Now it looks like there are about a million ways things could shake out between the Big 12, AAC, CUSA, and Sun Belt.

Like Mettlen said in one of his recent articles, you can usually expect it to be more of a cutthroat "every school for themselves" type thing than a couple of competing conferences coming together to decide who gets who. In that case, it might be a less ideal conference geographically but seems a lot more likely to have JMU above a handful of FBS teams when a spot needs to be filled.

Again though, still a million ways that things could shake out at this point. The first domino should be what happens with the remaining Big 12 teams.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - AllForDukes - 08-10-2021 03:20 PM

Don't presuppose that only 2 conferences emerge from CUSA and SB. CUSA can split, let's call it CUSA East and CUSA West, and attract one or more SB members. CUSA East and CUSA West will then need to add additional members. SB may then need to add to replace the members that move to CUSA East or West or even AAC. Just another perspective and nobody knows which perspective will be the ultimate answer.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - PGJMU2 - 08-10-2021 04:22 PM

ok, maybe i am wrong, but dont think so. Marshall, ODU, App, Charlotte, Coastal all make more money with us in than with us out, and thats what matters.

all have seen the 5k+ jmu fans show up in their stadiums,, and that is just the start. we can go on and on, but you have seen the arguments.

if you are going to go through all the trouble to re-align, re-org, you figure it out.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMaddy - 08-10-2021 04:22 PM

(08-10-2021 12:33 PM)olddawg Wrote:  If it does come down to Carr getting involved, I wonder who would be paying them? Reason I'm asking- is that if Carr were truly being "objective" in forming the best possible regional conference, that objectivity probably would suggest not including some current C-USA & Sun Belt members. (even ones who are currently considered "Eastern".) Otherwise, you are asking Carr to form the best possible regional conference, but mandating 80% of the pieces before they even looked at it.

I imagine any school helping to foot the bill will be an 'integral part of this conference long into the future'

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - space orange - 08-10-2021 05:38 PM

(08-10-2021 10:04 AM)Dukester Wrote:  I hate being the little fish in this chart.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/fcs-wins-vs-fbs-teams-all-time-victories-upsets

I always thought ASU was the first 1AA/FCS school to be a ranked 1A/FBS, but actually 1AA Cincinnati upset #20 PSU in 1983.

I guess ASU was the first FCS.....

Always thought it was App as well.

After digging in though, it's more of a technicality with Cincy. In the aftermath of 1AA bring split from 1A, the NCAA tried to automatically reclassify some teams as 1AA. Cincy was one of those so they were temporarily reclassified as 1AA for 82 and 83 despite their protests and playing a normal 1A schedule. They eventually won and in 84 onward were 1A. So while it's technically the first FCS over FBS win (or 1AA over 1A), Cincy had been operating and playing like an FBS team so it doesn't quite feel the same to me.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Hart Foundation - 08-10-2021 06:36 PM

Truth is stranger than fiction.
The NCAA named its 22 person Constitution Committee and the ODAC commissioner is on it. No joke.

No sighting of Alger, Bourne, or Joey D or anyone remotely connected to the CAA.

Other notables charged with rewriting the NCAA policy…
Penn State AD
West Virginia AD
ACC commissioner
WCC commissioner
IVY commissioner
North Dakota State prez
Baylor prez
Texas A&M prez
Georgetown prez
Xavier AD

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/general-board-announces-constitution-committee-members

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - 94computerguy - 08-10-2021 08:18 PM

So, here's an angle that I think is relevant. Of course the AAC thinks they're P6. I'm quite sure the other 5 conferences chuckle at that. So while the AAC is looking to poach the Big 12, I'm sure the Big 12 (or whichever conference loses a team to the B 12) looks at the AAC as the source for their safety schools. So now the AAC gets raided from above rather than joining the big boys.

So if that happens, will the AAC be looking to pick up some smaller teams? Probably. But they will never look at JMU of course. That's a given, since the AAC views themselves as a misspelled ACC. So they grab, I dunno, App or "finished in the top 25 (during a pandemic!)" Coastal, or maybe Liberty; anyway, someone independent. Maybe even UMass.

Then whatever conference that team came from will be looking for a new school. That'll be JMU's opening.

Everyone who says "oh, we travel!" -- whoever said it's about politics is right. It's nice that JMU has so much going for it, but the truth is that most decision makers just don't care. They see JMU as lesser than them, and just won't consider us at all. Is that stupid? Yes. That doesn't change the facts, however.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - olddawg - 08-10-2021 09:43 PM

(08-10-2021 08:18 PM)94computerguy Wrote:  So, here's an angle that I think is relevant. Of course the AAC thinks they're P6. I'm quite sure the other 5 conferences chuckle at that. So while the AAC is looking to poach the Big 12, I'm sure the Big 12 (or whichever conference loses a team to the B 12) looks at the AAC as the source for their safety schools. So now the AAC gets raided from above rather than joining the big boys.

So if that happens, will the AAC be looking to pick up some smaller teams? Probably. But they will never look at JMU of course. That's a given, since the AAC views themselves as a misspelled ACC. So they grab, I dunno, App or "finished in the top 25 (during a pandemic!)" Coastal, or maybe Liberty; anyway, someone independent. Maybe even UMass.

Then whatever conference that team came from will be looking for a new school. That'll be JMU's opening.

Everyone who says "oh, we travel!" -- whoever said it's about politics is right. It's nice that JMU has so much going for it, but the truth is that most decision makers just don't care. They see JMU as lesser than them, and just won't consider us at all. Is that stupid? Yes. That doesn't change the facts, however.

Perhaps because the decision makers on something like this have a knowledge base that comes almost entirely from an "Executive Brief". Same goes for The Boards at said schools. Plus, they already have their pre-formed opinions and prejudices regarding other schools.

I'd be shocked if the President of "Middle Kentucky State" even knows we have been on College Gameday twice or have beaten the last two AAC teams we have faced (on the road and with 22 less scholarships no less). I'm sure the Presidents of FIU/FAU would be saddened and shocked to know we run circles around them in attendance too.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - BleedingPurple - 08-11-2021 08:18 AM

(08-10-2021 09:43 PM)olddawg Wrote:  
(08-10-2021 08:18 PM)94computerguy Wrote:  So, here's an angle that I think is relevant. Of course the AAC thinks they're P6. I'm quite sure the other 5 conferences chuckle at that. So while the AAC is looking to poach the Big 12, I'm sure the Big 12 (or whichever conference loses a team to the B 12) looks at the AAC as the source for their safety schools. So now the AAC gets raided from above rather than joining the big boys.

Perhaps because the decision makers on something like this have a knowledge base that comes almost entirely from an "Executive Brief". Same goes for The Boards at said schools. Plus, they already have their pre-formed opinions and prejudices regarding other schools.

I'd be shocked if the President of "Middle Kentucky State" even knows we have been on College Gameday twice or have beaten the last two AAC teams we have faced (on the road and with 22 less scholarships no less). I'm sure the Presidents of FIU/FAU would be saddened and shocked to know we run circles around them in attendance too.

Just "Reality". Nothing more nothing less. Like all the conference shuffling that we, among ourselves, always put Harrisonburg right in the middle of the geographic footprint. That's so cute. We're on the outside and until we're on the inside, prime real estate for JMU isn't a given.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Dukeman2 - 08-11-2021 08:39 AM

ODU has a prominent seat at the table to decide the future of a desirable conference for JMU.

That puts JMU in a very vulnerable and precarious position.

It didn't have to be this way.

Did Virginia really want VA Tech in the ACC?

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - PGJMU2 - 08-11-2021 08:51 AM

(08-11-2021 08:39 AM)Dukeman2 Wrote:  ODU has a prominent seat at the table to decide the future of a desirable conference for JMU.

That puts JMU in a very vulnerable and precarious position.

It didn't have to be this way.

Did Virginia really want VA Tech in the ACC?

precarious? ODU cut wrestling to save a $1 m and then punted on their football season last year to save money. they are scrambling to find a way out of CUSA.

they are drowning and trying to pull a workable conference together.

your correct, it didnt have to be this way for ODU, they could have built from strength like a school in the valley

in other news, JMU gets 3 espn football appearances and are the darling of the Softball world series.