CSNbbs
Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Archives (/forum-288.html)
+----- Forum: JMU Archives (/forum-1006.html)
+----- Thread: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 (/thread-909885.html)

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMUNation - 08-06-2021 10:27 AM

The rest of us get far more attention with the athletics staff than we ever would at an FBS school of any significance. The Duke Club/ticket office staff has always done a great job of returning calls and emails. I am actually surprised at how much attention a $500=1000 donor receives.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - PGJMU2 - 08-06-2021 10:41 AM

(08-05-2021 10:00 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(08-05-2021 11:30 AM)olddawg Wrote:  
(08-05-2021 09:02 AM)PGJMU2 Wrote:  
(08-04-2021 05:19 PM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  100% on base - Ron would grab a drink, get the right people in the room, have the money lined up in advance, and say "let's make this shiznit happen and we're not leaving until we figger it out, and ask for more than he wanted (but negotiate for more than he expected)"

so we are clear - is this the same uncle Ron who -

- turned down the A10
- fired Lefty
- hired Sherm, a man who won 36% of his games at ISU ( 28% in conference) as
the man to replace a coaching legend.

- hired Alex Wood
- hired Don Lemish
- hired John Thurston
- & never built a facility between '85 & ''98

ok, thought so. Great man, built the university and he got sports off the ground, but he had some major , major sports stumbles.....

Very fair on Ron- though you did leave out a biggie that he signed off on, so I added it. 04-cheers

No it's not. Every great leader is going to have some not so good decisions, doesn't make them a bad leader. If you are going to point out where a leader has fallen short and then take another moment and talk about where he stood out. Let's see, you're most likely to not know about the greatest coach in JMU history, Lou Campanelli. Talk about the hiring of Lefty. Talk about Babcock and taking us to the CWS. The very best have flaws, you ever studied George Washington. I'm sorry but Alger is not a leader, he's a manager.

neither of us are questioning his leadership, but as you agreed, he made mistakes and had shortcomings. there is a sentiment that carrier is a messiah and would have athletics in a much better place than it is now. i merely pointed out his record on advancing athletics is mixed.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - bcp_jmu - 08-06-2021 11:24 AM

hard to compare hiring from 20-40 years ago... given the massive changes in resources, reputation, and perfomrance JMU has had since then

Kenny over Lou. ............... come on now........ history says different

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - NJDuke97 - 08-06-2021 11:36 AM

For JMU fans that want to compare JMU to a school that went FBS I think the comparison is with Coastal over App. Apps program has always been slightly ahead of JMU ( National Champs before us Michigan P5 upset before ours at Tech). Coastal is the upstart who by all accounts took JMUs place in the Belt and leapfrogged us.

They were ranked last year (as was Liberty Louisiana and maybe App at one point). They have an exciting team and Qb - it will be interesting to see if they keep in going in more of a normal season but regardless they shot their shot and got some great exposure last year.

They’ve also won a baseball national championship while I believe they were in the Belt but then again JMU has won a women’s lacrosse national championship, made a softball final four and had other recent national accolades and recognition while in the CAA which rival that.

That’s the fair what if IMO since that spot was JMUs to turn down. I wonder if Coastal had a vision at the time that the league would clean up some of the outliers and all raise their profile together- maybe or maybe their football coach who was a very wealthy ex corporate guy played a role in their decision to move up- who knows? Kudos to them. I do think the Belt is different now but probably still doesn’t align with JMUs geographic footprint or academics. That said I’d do it with a Travel partner.

Btw on the subject of financials and media deals and profit related to football I’d be curious what these Sun Belt programs show- are we talking $1m to JMUs small loss for media rights etc ? I don’t think it’s significant. I don’t think that’s the reason to move up to the G5 for JMU- it’s for a host of other reasons.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Pitz - 08-06-2021 01:06 PM

God bless this thread. Long may she reign.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - THUNDERStruck73 - 08-06-2021 01:57 PM

(08-06-2021 11:36 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  For JMU fans that want to compare JMU to a school that went FBS I think the comparison is with Coastal over App. Apps program has always been slightly ahead of JMU ( National Champs before us Michigan P5 upset before ours at Tech). Coastal is the upstart who by all accounts took JMUs place in the Belt and leapfrogged us.

They were ranked last year (as was Liberty Louisiana and maybe App at one point). They have an exciting team and Qb - it will be interesting to see if they keep in going in more of a normal season but regardless they shot their shot and got some great exposure last year.

They’ve also won a baseball national championship while I believe they were in the Belt but then again JMU has won a women’s lacrosse national championship, made a softball final four and had other recent national accolades and recognition while in the CAA which rival that.

That’s the fair what if IMO since that spot was JMUs to turn down. I wonder if Coastal had a vision at the time that the league would clean up some of the outliers and all raise their profile together- maybe or maybe their football coach who was a very wealthy ex corporate guy played a role in their decision to move up- who knows? Kudos to them. I do think the Belt is different now but probably still doesn’t align with JMUs geographic footprint or academics. That said I’d do it with a Travel partner.

Btw on the subject of financials and media deals and profit related to football I’d be curious what these Sun Belt programs show- are we talking $1m to JMUs small loss for media rights etc ? I don’t think it’s significant. I don’t think that’s the reason to move up to the G5 for JMU- it’s for a host of other reasons.

They were in the Big South and leaving for the belt the following year, but your point still stands.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - balanced_view - 08-06-2021 02:34 PM

(08-06-2021 01:57 PM)THUNDERStruck73 Wrote:  
(08-06-2021 11:36 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  For JMU fans that want to compare JMU to a school that went FBS I think the comparison is with Coastal over App. Apps program has always been slightly ahead of JMU ( National Champs before us Michigan P5 upset before ours at Tech). Coastal is the upstart who by all accounts took JMUs place in the Belt and leapfrogged us.

They were in the Big South and leaving for the belt the following year, but your point still stands.

Interesting story on this, because of crazy weather during the CWS, Coastal won the championship, and officially joined the Sun Belt the next day. Benson often joked to the media that if there was one more weather delay, Coastal would have started the CWS in the Big South and won the whole thing as a Sun Belt member.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - BleedingPurple - 08-06-2021 06:12 PM

(08-06-2021 11:24 AM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  hard to compare hiring from 20-40 years ago... given the massive changes in resources, reputation, and perfomrance JMU has had since then

Kenny over Lou. ............... come on now........ history says different

Yep, I respect the heck of Kenny's accomplishments, but Lou didn't have any trouble going up against the very best. Ok, so you beat Georgetown when they were primetime and do it in the NCAA tournament. Freak things happen. Oh but you follow that up with knocking off Ohio State only to lose two days later by two points to the eventual NCAA champs off of a bad call. So you're still not convinced, how about three years in a row, this time taking down WVA. Campanelli moved out of small town to the big city and wasted not one minute getting Cal to the NCAA tournament. He was a winner and we were truly fortunate to have him for so many years.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - PGJMU2 - 08-09-2021 08:40 AM

another DNR article on re-alignment today.

highlights

- ODU AD, Selig wants a re-org of CUSA, SB and potentially AAc - brokered by an outside advior
- former SB AD, Benson, was working toward a CUSA / SB reorg when he was SB AD
- conflict between schools is a hurdle, LaTech / Louisiana / LA-M ------ UAB / Troy ---- Charlotte / App St
- would need huge raid of AAC to get ECU and Temple in play
- from a Mettlen tweet - leagues arent doing anything until they see what becomes of B12 and AAC

reading between the lines, Carr Assoc / Benson - are trying to get the conferences together to reorg. sounds like just gauging interest at this point

ODU / Marshall received approval to create a splinter CUSA conference with all the auto bids, what are the requirements (do they need 5 current members?) and who could they pull to get to 8? Maybe that is the threat that gets everyone to the table?

1.ODU - CUSA
2.Marshall - CUSA
3.Charlotte - CUSA
4.App - SB
5. Coastal - SB
6. Ga South - SB

JMU and Delaware to get to 8

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - THUNDERStruck73 - 08-09-2021 08:54 AM

(08-09-2021 08:40 AM)PGJMU2 Wrote:  another DNR article on re-alignment today.

highlights

- ODU AD, Selig wants a re-org of CUSA, SB and potentially AAc - brokered by an outside advior
- conflict between schools is a hurdle, LaTech / Louisiana / LA-M ------ UAB / Troy ---- Charlotte / App St

reading between the lines, Carr Assoc / Benson - are trying to get the conferences together to reorg. sounds like just gauging interest at this point

ODU / Marshall received approval to create a splinter CUSA conference with all the auto bids, what are the requirements (do they need 5 current members?) and who could they pull to get to 8? Maybe that is the threat that gets everyone to the table?

1.ODU - CUSA
2.Marshall - CUSA
3.Charlotte - CUSA
4.App - SB
5. Coastal - SB
6. Ga South - SB

Delaware won’t be a part of this.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMUNation - 08-09-2021 08:59 AM

As a JMU fan, I love that conference. Add Temple and ECU and it is a home run. Good rivalries and travel partners for everyone. As I have said repeatedly, JMU, ODU, Marshall and App need to be the core schools that broker this new conference. These schools need to go back to the future. How did the ACC first form and create such great rivalries? A regional league with quality schools. That is what the above league looks like to me.

All schools listed above are one notch below P5 in their state with the exception of Delaware which has no P5 team. Go own that space. This will help these schools separate themselves from the other FBS and FCS schools in their region. This isn’t happening right now. Make a commitment to stay together. That stability will help their programs flourish while others continue to deal with realignment instability. The key is schools can’t have an inflated value of who they are in the grand scheme of things. The synergy created with this new conference would be off the charts good.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Purplehazed - 08-09-2021 09:47 AM

I can't see Temple and ECU leaving the AAC but that would be an awesome conference.

The AAC would have to be decimated by the B12 poaching to the point it's not the AAC.

Thx DNR for the article!

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - bcp_jmu - 08-09-2021 09:48 AM

Big 12 will not exist "18 months*" from now...ESPN hates their deal (book it)

8 just seems...risky these days - 12 to 16 more realistic so long as the map isn't too far flung. We don't want G5 to become G7...do we?

it's a shame that Delaware probably isn't along for the ride - they could be a great addition (and dayummm that !.5B endowment)

no time to look at chicken country forum, but wonder if their fans are frustrated (if still coherent and alive)

* Jbourne

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - PGJMU2 - 08-09-2021 09:53 AM

(08-09-2021 08:59 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  As a JMU fan, I love that conference. Add Temple and ECU and it is a home run. Good rivalries and travel partners for everyone. As I have said repeatedly, JMU, ODU, Marshall and App need to be the core schools that broker this new conference. These schools need to go back to the future. How did the ACC first form and create such great rivalries? A regional league with quality schools. That is what the above league looks like to me.

All schools listed above are one notch below P5 in their state with the exception of Delaware which has no P5 team. Go own that space. This will help these schools separate themselves from the other FBS and FCS schools in their region. This isn’t happening right now. Make a commitment to stay together. That stability will help their programs flourish while others continue to deal with realignment instability. The key is schools can’t have an inflated value of who they are in the grand scheme of things. The synergy created with this new conference would be off the charts good.

here is your home run

1.ODU - CUSA
2.Marshall - CUSA
3.Charlotte - CUSA
4.App - SB
5. Coastal - SB
6. Ga South - SB
7. JMU
8. Delaware
9. ECU
10. Temple

I get that Delaware is the weak link, but they have upside if their admin ever got behind them.

Lots of great rivalries there

JMU/ App / Marshall / ODU
App / Charlotte / Coastal / ECU
Delaware / Temple
Ga South / APP

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - olddawg - 08-09-2021 10:51 AM

(08-09-2021 08:40 AM)PGJMU2 Wrote:  another DNR article on re-alignment today.

highlights

- from a Mettlen tweet - leagues arent doing anything until they see what becomes of B12 and AAC

1.ODU - CUSA
2.Marshall - CUSA
3.Charlotte - CUSA
4.App - SB
5. Coastal - SB
6. Ga South - SB

The Louisiana schools bickering over other's merits is like Chad bickering w/ Niger. Does anyone really care?

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Hart Foundation - 08-09-2021 11:31 AM

The grand slam home run will be joining the AAC if a few of its more powerful schools get wooed to the Big 12.
We know Houston and SMU would jump in a heartbeat to reunite with many of their former Southwest conference rivals. But 2 programs won't offset losing giants Texas & Oklahoma. The Big 12 will need 4 adds to approach the TV package value they need to sustain their P5 programs at current spending levels.
Cincy and UCF seem to be the next most logical schools for pure financial reasons. They have Large markets and Large athletic budgets and enormous enrollment figures cranking out future alums to watch on TV. They are P5 worthy.

That leaves a much weaker AAC including some schools that used to be in JMU's olympic sports conference - Navy and ECU.

Grand Slam football conference
Navy
ECU
Temple
Memphis
South Florida
Tulane
Tulsa
new Army
new Liberty
new Marshall
new App State
new JMU

These are much more prominent/invested football programs and perhaps some would only join for football like JMU. The new programs would all have stretch/high growth potential and the AAC isn't afraid of having partial members as shown by their current makeup. Aresco can take the best of the CUSA, Sunbelt, and Independents to rebuild the AAC as the next best conference after the P5.

I think it is much more likely to get an existing conference aggressively recruiting new members than to have multiple conferences suddenly partner to reallocate teams. Each conference is out for its best interest financially and that hampers collaboration from the start. This shuffling wont' be a gentlemanly agreement with a group vote. More like a backstabbing money grab for the quick and the dead.

At least we have Jon Boy Alger to lead the efforts for FBS football 03-lmfao

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - Purplehazed - 08-09-2021 12:21 PM

I searched ndsu and conference realignment. There is some smoke.

Imagine this board if ndsu rumors start making rounds.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - olddawg - 08-09-2021 12:36 PM

(08-09-2021 11:31 AM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  The grand slam home run will be joining the AAC if a few of its more powerful schools get wooed to the Big 12.
We know Houston and SMU would jump in a heartbeat to reunite with many of their former Southwest conference rivals. But 2 programs won't offset losing giants Texas & Oklahoma. The Big 12 will need 4 adds to approach the TV package value they need to sustain their P5 programs at current spending levels.
Cincy and UCF seem to be the next most logical schools for pure financial reasons. They have Large markets and Large athletic budgets and enormous enrollment figures cranking out future alums to watch on TV. They are P5 worthy.

That leaves a much weaker AAC including some schools that used to be in JMU's olympic sports conference - Navy and ECU.

Grand Slam football conference
Navy
ECU
Temple
Memphis
South Florida
Tulane
Tulsa
new Army
new Liberty
new Marshall
new App State
new JMU

These are much more prominent/invested football programs and perhaps some would only join for football like JMU. The new programs would all have stretch/high growth potential and the AAC isn't afraid of having partial members as shown by their current makeup. Aresco can take the best of the CUSA, Sunbelt, and Independents to rebuild the AAC as the next best conference after the P5.

I think it is much more likely to get an existing conference aggressively recruiting new members than to have multiple conferences suddenly partner to reallocate teams. Each conference is out for its best interest financially and that hampers collaboration from the start. This shuffling wont' be a gentlemanly agreement with a group vote. More like a backstabbing money grab for the quick and the dead.

At least we have Jon Boy Alger to lead the efforts for FBS football 03-lmfao

The highlighted phrase above -I feel is very important to realignment talk. Probably 75-80% of the MAC, Sun Belt and C-USA "are what they are". They have already peaked or are happily complacent. There is no upside. Nothing wrong with that, but I'd look to co-mingle with schools that have an upside.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - JMUrcc06 - 08-09-2021 12:48 PM

(08-09-2021 09:48 AM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  Big 12 will not exist "18 months*" from now...ESPN hates their deal (book it)

8 just seems...risky these days - 12 to 16 more realistic so long as the map isn't too far flung. We don't want G5 to become G7...do we?

it's a shame that Delaware probably isn't along for the ride - they could be a great addition (and dayummm that !.5B endowment)

no time to look at chicken country forum, but wonder if their fans are frustrated (if still coherent and alive)

* Jbourne

checked out the hen house... there are only 2-3 pages on conference realignment, most still centered around the news of OU/UT leaving B12 and the remaining P5... few fans seem like they wouldn't mind riding along with JMU and the majority fully expect JMU to bolt at first opportunity. Few fans seem to be interested in either BBall/Oly to A-10 or move to the MAC works for them. No real info and hardly any smoke.

I personally would love to have them... a conference with UDel, ODU, Marshall, and App State has to be an absolute dream and no brainer.. would make for the best fall saturdays. UDel also helps raise the academic profile of the conference to cover for odu, marshall and appie.

RE: Newest Conference Rumor/Discussion 2.0 - AssyrianDuke - 08-09-2021 12:51 PM

ECU and Temple would only imagine leaving AAC IF AND ONLY IF (IFF for you math nerds like me), the Big 12 takes the top off the league. Without Memphis, UCF, Cincy, and Houston, who is left at the "P6" conference? Are Tulsa and Navy really that big a draw for ESPN? That ain't worth $7M per school per year. Maybe at that point the mythical eastern breakoff league will manifest, and MAYBE ECU and Temple give it a look.