CSNbbs
Liberty ranked but not the Cajuns? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Liberty ranked but not the Cajuns? (/thread-909876.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Liberty ranked but not the Cajuns? - EigenEagle - 11-02-2020 08:36 AM

Sorry, but there is no justification for this. I might could be convinced UL doesn't deserved to be ranked but you can't convince me Liberty should be ranked over them.

Cajuns have a last-second loss to Coastal, a win over the first-place Big 12 team and a win over a top CUSA team. Their opponents are a combined 21-17 (with 7 of those losses from Texas State).

On the other hand, Liberty's opponents have a combined 4-28 record:
Barely beat WKU (2-5) who almost lost to UTC
Barely beat FIU (0-3) who lost to Jax State
Beat FCS North Alabama (0-2)
Beat ULM (0-7)
Beat Syracuse (1-6), one of the worst teams in the worst P5 league.
Beat Southern Miss (1-5)

There's at least 4 teams in the Sun Belt that would be undefeated with that ****y schedule.

RE: Liberty ranked but not the Cajuns? - Yosef84 - 11-02-2020 08:41 AM

I'm not disagreeing with your points. Well stated! Bottom line is that Liberty is undefeated and UL has a loss. Just shows the lack of actual analysis / understanding by those who are voting.

RE: Liberty ranked but not the Cajuns? - Shof - 11-02-2020 08:43 AM

(11-02-2020 08:36 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Sorry, but there is no justification for this. I might could be convinced UL doesn't deserved to be ranked but you can't convince me Liberty should be ranked over them.

Cajuns have a last-second loss to Coastal, a win over the first-place Big 12 team and a win over a top CUSA team. Their opponents are a combined 21-17 (with 7 of those losses from Texas State).

Beat ULM (0-7)
Beat Southern Miss (1-5)

There's at least 4 teams in the Sun Belt that would be undefeated with that ****y schedule.

Good argument. Just shows that the voters don’t really pay a lot of attention to G5 teams. You know the old saying “don’t judge a book by its cover”? But that’s exactly what happens to many in G5. They don’t take the time to read the book. The cover says 6-0; therefore it must be good.
Cajuns need to play better regardless. My opinion is we don’t belong right now. Play to our potential, then yes.

RE: Liberty ranked but not the Cajuns? - CardinalBlackTrojan - 11-02-2020 09:12 AM

Cajuns have played a much tougher schedule with much better wins... but yeah, Liberty being undefeated is what gets them in.

Any G5 that starts out 6-0 is going to be ranked, even of they played bad teams.

RE: Liberty ranked but not the Cajuns? - coastalalum - 11-02-2020 09:24 AM

The Flames make the short trip over to Blacksburg this weekend. They won't be undefeated after Saturday.

RE: Liberty ranked but not the Cajuns? - EigenEagle - 11-02-2020 09:24 AM

(11-02-2020 09:12 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  Cajuns have played a much tougher schedule with much better wins... but yeah, Liberty being undefeated is what gets them in.

Any G5 that starts out 6-0 is going to be ranked, even of they played bad teams.

I think this is a case of over-valuing wins over bad P5 teams. If Liberty doesn't have that Syracuse win they're probably not ranked. But consider that 7 (!) Sun Belt teams are ranked higher than Syracuse in the current F+ rankings. They are a crappy P5 team.

I mean the P5s App beat last year definitely weren't great but they're both a good bit better than Syracuse is this year.

RE: Liberty ranked but not the Cajuns? - ballantyneapp - 11-02-2020 09:49 AM

(11-02-2020 08:36 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Sorry, but there is no justification for this. I might could be convinced UL doesn't deserved to be ranked but you can't convince me Liberty should be ranked over them.

Beat ULM (0-7)
Beat Southern Miss (1-5)

yeah UL should be 25, they have the best G5 over P5 win of the season. They lost only to the #15 team.

RE: Liberty ranked but not the Cajuns? - Saint3333 - 11-02-2020 09:54 AM

Rankings this year are very difficult to compare to prior years. PAC12 and Big Ten teams are either getting way too much credit or none at all this year. A 6-0 Liberty team with that resume likely isn't ranked in 2019 or prior.

Now if they beat VT this week they would have been ranked in any year. VT -15, sorry Flames the ride ends there.

RE: Liberty ranked but not the Cajuns? - JCGSU - 11-02-2020 10:22 AM

6-0 is 6-0 and they just put up 56 points. I dont see the problem at this point. Probably going to lose next week and UL takes the spot if they win this weekend.

RE: Liberty ranked but not the Cajuns? - Tealblood - 11-02-2020 10:27 AM

one writer in the AP poll has Liberty ranked #15 and Coastal #24

RE: Liberty ranked but not the Cajuns? - Saint3333 - 11-02-2020 10:55 AM

With some P5 conferences only playing conference games the middle and lower programs that are typically ranked at the mid-point aren't this year. What you're seeing after week ten is closer to an end season mix of ranked teams by conference.

Teams like Cincy, BYU, CCU, and Marshall may have already hit their ceiling.

RE: Liberty ranked but not the Cajuns? - SENOREIDA - 11-02-2020 11:23 AM

(11-02-2020 10:27 AM)Tealblood Wrote:  one writer in the AP poll has Liberty ranked #15 and Coastal #24

Here is the shocking part, he is a Liberty grad.

But you can’t tell me Liberty deserves to be ranked higher. When everyone they have played has a losing record, and no Top 25 wins.

RE: Liberty ranked but not the Cajuns? - eaglewraith - 11-02-2020 11:32 AM

Win. Your. *******. Games.

That's the most important part of the equation that people have the hardest time comprehending.

RE: Liberty ranked but not the Cajuns? - Ewglenn - 11-02-2020 11:52 AM

(11-02-2020 11:23 AM)SENOREIDA Wrote:  
(11-02-2020 10:27 AM)Tealblood Wrote:  one writer in the AP poll has Liberty ranked #15 and Coastal #24

But you can’t tell me Liberty deserves to be ranked higher. When everyone they have played has a losing record, and no Top 25 wins.

I think where the rankings have us and CCU are fair. We are undefeated with a P5 win. I think we lose this weekend so it won’t really matter. If we win I think you’ll see us shoot up the rankings.

RE: Liberty ranked but not the Cajuns? - EigenEagle - 11-02-2020 12:00 PM

(11-02-2020 11:32 AM)eaglewraith Wrote:  Win. Your. *******. Games.

That's going to get more challenging with the Sun Belt going in the direction that it has been. Of course we can help ourselves by not playing the Alabamas and Clemsons as much.

RE: Liberty ranked but not the Cajuns? - GreatAppSt - 11-02-2020 12:01 PM

A Liberty grad with a full display of nepotism? Say it ain't so Joe?03-yawn

RE: Liberty ranked but not the Cajuns? - SENOREIDA - 11-02-2020 12:17 PM

(11-02-2020 11:52 AM)Ewglenn Wrote:  

I think where the rankings have us and CCU are fair. We are undefeated with a P5 win. I think we lose this weekend so it won’t really matter. If we win I think you’ll see us shoot up the rankings.
And that’s fair. I have no problem with that, my only problem is with Rob Long, and one AP voter who does not have us ranked. I can’t see any justifications of ranking Liberty ahead of Coastal, let alone 9 spots.

RE: Liberty ranked but not the Cajuns? - Tom in Lazybrook - 11-02-2020 12:34 PM

My guess is that theres some home teaming going on from sports writers that are favorable to LU.

2 teams blown out by South Alabama (an awful USM team and winless ULM)
A D2 to FCS reclassifing team
An awful Syracuse team
A 2 pt win over a winless FIU team that has a FCS loss
A 6 point win over an awful WKU team. WKU scored more points against LU than any other team.

Every team they beat has a losing record. None has more than 2 wins. No team they beat has a win over a team with a winning record. They will all finish with a losing record.

Current FBS record of LU opponents...3-24. And they have 2 losses to FCS teams.

They beat USM, Syracuse, FIU, ULM, WKU, and No. Ala. These teams have collectively beaten Ga Tech, MTSU, and UNT. That is all.

The 3 teams that LU beat have wins over teams with FBS combined record of...4-13, with no team with more than 2 wins. All will finish with losing records.

Their current ranking in the Sagarin is below Troy and 4-3 UAB. Its in the 70s.

This will resolve itself quickly. No need to get too angry here. But now I know the sports writers that are willing to risk their reputation to boost an unqualified school.

RE: Liberty ranked but not the Cajuns? - Mandalorian - 11-02-2020 12:37 PM

Beat ULM (0-7)
Beat Southern Miss (1-5)

Again, the Funbelt get’n no respect. 01-wingedeagle

RE: Liberty ranked but not the Cajuns? - Curtisc83 - 11-02-2020 01:14 PM

We play the teams on our schedule and this stuff is arranged way in advance. If they suck this year they suck.