CSNbbs
WAC Preseason Poll - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: WACbbs (/forum-376.html)
+--- Thread: WAC Preseason Poll (/thread-909449.html)

WAC Preseason Poll - PojoaquePosse - 10-27-2020 09:56 AM

https://nmstatesports.com/news/2020/10/27/mens-basketball-aggies-tabbed-as-unanimous-wac-favorites-in-preseason-media-coaches-polls.aspx?fbclid=IwAR0JLv_ojs5gr9FbKZ-KTWuNLcpSyGJ_aPSKqRmjWBFXclBGj7uSkyo3Gos

2020-21 Preseason WAC Men's Basketball Coaches' Poll
Rank. Team (First-place votes | Points
1. NM State (8) | 64
2. Grand Canyon (1) | 52
3. UTRGV | 45
4. California Baptist | 43
5. Seattle U | 33
6. Tarleton State | 31
7. Utah Valley | 28
8. Dixie State | 20
9. Chicago State | 8

2020-21 Preseason Men's Basketball Coaches' All-WAC Teams
First Team
Alessandro Lever, Sr., C, Grand Canyon
Javon Levi, Sr., PG, UT Rio Grande Valley
Johnny McCants, Sr., F, NM State
Jabari Rice, Jr., G, NM State
Donnie Tillman, Sr., F, NM State

Second Team
Jovan Blacksher, So., G, Grand Canyon
Oscar Frayer, Sr., F, Grand Canyon
Riley Grigsby, Jr., G/F, Seattle U
Evan Gilyard, Sr., G, NM State
Hunter Schofield, Sr., F, Dixie State

Preseason Player of the Year

2020-21 Preseason WAC Men's Basketball Media Poll
Rank. Team (First-place votes | Points
1. NM State (10) | 150
2. Grand Canyon | 125
3. UTRGV | 114
4. California Baptist (2) | 105
5. Seattle U | 84
6. Utah Valley | 74
7. Dixie State | 49
8. Tarleton State | 46
9. Chicago State | 18

2020-21 Preseason Men's Basketball Media All-WAC Teams
First Team
Jovan Blacksher, So., G, Grand Canyon
Alessandro Lever, Sr., C, Grand Canyon
Javon Levi, Sr., PG, UT Rio Grande Valley
Johnny McCants, Sr., F, NM State

Second Team
Evan Cole, Gr., F, Utah Valley
Gorjok Gak, Gr., F, California Baptist
Evan Gilyard II, Sr., G, NM State
Hunter Schofield, Sr., F, Dixie State
Donnie Tillman, Sr., F, NM State

Preseason Player of the Year

RE: WAC Preseason Poll - gleadley - 10-27-2020 10:17 AM

If we're being honest, Frayer doesn't belong on any All-WAC preseason list. I'm guessing that coaches who voted for him have memories of a player O hasn't been since his sophomore season back in 2017-2018. He may end up being a strong 6th man for the GCU, but I don't see Oscar having the impact that some are apparently assuming he will.

RE: WAC Preseason Poll - Trod0 - 10-27-2020 10:59 AM

Who is, Hunter Schofield, Sr., F, Dixie State? He popped up in both Coaches and Media polls. Let’s see if he’s name is still there at the end of the year or will Clayton beat him out.

RE: WAC Preseason Poll - PojoaquePosse - 10-27-2020 12:01 PM

(10-27-2020 10:17 AM)gleadley Wrote:  If we're being honest, Frayer doesn't belong on any All-WAC preseason list. I'm guessing that coaches who voted for him have memories of a player O hasn't been since his sophomore season back in 2017-2018. He may end up being a strong 6th man for the GCU, but I don't see Oscar having the impact that some are apparently assuming he will.

Interesting. I posted on our board that I was surprised Frayer was not in the coaches poll. I hope you are right...05-stirthepot

RE: WAC Preseason Poll - Itinerant Texan - 10-27-2020 12:07 PM

(10-27-2020 10:59 AM)Trod0 Wrote:  Who is, Hunter Schofield, Sr., F, Dixie State? He popped up in both Coaches and Media polls. Let’s see if he’s name is still there at the end of the year or will Clayton beat him out.

Don't sleep on this guy: https://tarletonsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/konstantin-dotsenko/9369

RE: WAC Preseason Poll - NMSUPistolPete - 10-27-2020 12:42 PM

(10-27-2020 12:07 PM)Itinerant Texan Wrote:  
(10-27-2020 10:59 AM)Trod0 Wrote:  Who is, Hunter Schofield, Sr., F, Dixie State? He popped up in both Coaches and Media polls. Let’s see if he’s name is still there at the end of the year or will Clayton beat him out.

Don't sleep on this guy: https://tarletonsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/konstantin-dotsenko/9369

Based on BCG style of basketball at Ranger, if he transfers that style to Tarleton State I'm not sure how effective Dotsenko will be offensively. Gillispies style of play takes away the legs of the opponent with a lot the speed/activity but also his own team; a racehorse style. Dotsenko might struggle keeping his legs fresh. The player that most intrigues me on the Texan team is Jonathan Jackson. He is an undersized power forward who did very well in Gillispies' system at Ranger two years ago. I see Tarleton State as a score and rebound by committee team this season. No one stands out but everyone does their role.

As for Hunter Schofield, he was Dixie State's workhorse in the paint a season ago. Judkin's relies heavily on his star players so Schofield will get a lot of touches on his team. But as of now, I hear he is hobbled.

RE: WAC Preseason Poll - NMSUPistolPete - 10-27-2020 03:11 PM

RE: WAC Preseason Poll - Itinerant Texan - 10-27-2020 06:15 PM

(10-27-2020 12:42 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  

Based on BCG style of basketball at Ranger, if he transfers that style to Tarleton State I'm not sure how effective Dotsenko will be offensively. Gillispies style of play takes away the legs of the opponent with a lot the speed/activity but also his own team; a racehorse style. Dotsenko might struggle keeping his legs fresh. The player that most intrigues me on the Texan team is Jonathan Jackson. He is an undersized power forward who did very well in Gillispies' system at Ranger two years ago. I see Tarleton State as a score and rebound by committee team this season. No one stands out but everyone does their role.

As for Hunter Schofield, he was Dixie State's workhorse in the paint a season ago. Judkin's relies heavily on his star players so Schofield will get a lot of touches on his team. But as of now, I hear he is hobbled.

All indicators are he's not. Notice Dotsenko, or Jackson, or anybody else on the 20-21 squad doesn't have a position listed under their name. We're gonna play positionless basketball. Alot like Nellie Ball, but with defense. Should be plenty of open looks at the 3-line, and this kid has shown a real knack for hitting them.

RE: WAC Preseason Poll - NMSUPistolPete - 10-27-2020 08:48 PM

(10-27-2020 06:15 PM)Itinerant Texan Wrote:  
(10-27-2020 12:42 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  

All indicators are he's not. Notice Dotsenko, or Jackson, or anybody else on the 20-21 squad doesn't have a position listed under their name. We're gonna play positionless basketball. Alot like Nellie Ball, but with defense. Should be plenty of open looks at the 3-line, and this kid has shown a real knack for hitting them.

I realize Dotsenko is a very good three point shooter but athletically his motor is not any better than a lot of other WAC players at his size. As a trailer in transition, Dotsenko might get a few open threes; as the ball is pushed to the rim in the initial drive then kicked back out to him behind the arc. But I think the players that will excel in Tarleton's "Billy Ball" will be the ones that can drive and finish at the rim.

RE: WAC Preseason Poll - FINALFOUR1970SWEETSIXTEEN1992 - 10-29-2020 11:23 PM

New Mexico State is loaded.