CSNbbs
UCF hit the punt returner - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: UCF hit the punt returner (/thread-908925.html)

Pages: 1 2

UCF hit the punt returner - Tiger87 - 10-19-2020 09:48 AM

Was there ever an explanation on why there was no personal foul call on UCF with 2 minutes left, when Austin called a fair catch on the punt and they took a free shot? It wasn't a kill-shot, but it's still against the rules. Not a judgement call either.

RE: UCF hit the punt returner - BandwagonJumper - 10-19-2020 10:01 AM

because we didn't sell it properly

[Image: giphy.gif]

UCF hit the punt returner - fsquid - 10-19-2020 10:47 AM

Yep should have taken a dive

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RE: UCF hit the punt returner - holyterror - 10-19-2020 10:58 AM

Just what we have come to expect from CFU.

RE: UCF hit the punt returner - ncrdbl1 - 10-19-2020 11:12 AM

A number of questionable calls saturday.

RE: UCF hit the punt returner - Tiger46 - 10-19-2020 11:58 AM

They let a lot of stuff go, pass interference on Austin several times, That many plays and very few holding calls. I think they knew it was going to be a four hour game and just let them play unless it seriously impacted the play (like tugging on Austin's jersey) LOL

RE: UCF hit the punt returner - Tiger87 - 10-19-2020 02:53 PM

Yeah, Austin and Ivory were getting held all day. And there was a hold on the end, on the long TD screen. But those are "judgement" calls.
Hitting a punt-kicker-returner is obvious black & white.

RE: UCF hit the punt returner - UOFMGLENN - 10-19-2020 03:02 PM

Just watched the replay and seeing it the second time, the hit was more obvious than when I saw it the first time.

RE: UCF hit the punt returner - memphisike - 10-19-2020 03:21 PM

Ike thinks there was a penalty on the fair catch punt

RE: UCF hit the punt returner - EarthBoundMisfit - 10-19-2020 04:59 PM

(10-19-2020 09:48 AM)Tiger87 Wrote:  Was there ever an explanation on why there was no personal foul call on UCF with 2 minutes left, when Austin called a fair catch on the punt and they took a free shot? It wasn't a kill-shot, but it's still against the rules. Not a judgement call either.

UCF has been hitting our punt returner since Justin fuente was here.
We had them beaten, our offense with Paxton was moving the ball on them all day long...defense had stymied them most of the game.
A no targeting call after they hit our punt returner who fumbled the ball allowed them to capture momentum and win that game.
I friggin hate UCF.

RE: UCF hit the punt returner - Stammers - 10-19-2020 05:57 PM

(10-19-2020 04:59 PM)EarthBoundMisfit Wrote:  
(10-19-2020 09:48 AM)Tiger87 Wrote:  Was there ever an explanation on why there was no personal foul call on UCF with 2 minutes left, when Austin called a fair catch on the punt and they took a free shot? It wasn't a kill-shot, but it's still against the rules. Not a judgement call either.

We had them beaten, our offense with Paxton was moving the ball on them all day long...defense had stymied them most of the game.
A no targeting call after they hit our punt returner who fumbled the ball allowed them to capture momentum and win that game.
I friggin hate UCF.

All of the losses to them since Fuente have been extremely frustrating in different ways. The last few because we are on a level playing field with them and in some years, better. That game really pissed me off because not only did they miss the OBVIOUS targeting, they also called a bull**** holding penalty on the kick return that would have tied it after that.

RE: UCF hit the punt returner - mairving - 10-19-2020 07:13 PM

Only explanation is that the refs thought he was blocked into our guy which would not be a penalty.

RE: UCF hit the punt returner - AlonsoWDC - 10-19-2020 08:52 PM

I friggin hate UCF.

It was a kick return during a tied game. The hit forced a fumble and a score on the kickoff for UCF. October 2013.

RE: UCF hit the punt returner - EarthBoundMisfit - 10-19-2020 09:37 PM

(10-19-2020 08:52 PM)AlonsoWDC Wrote:  

I friggin hate UCF.

It was a kick return during a tied game. The hit forced a fumble and a score on the kickoff for UCF. October 2013.

the hit was a clear case of targetting.
Smug azzed UCF fans with a thread about "The last time Memphis beat UCF" like they are freaking Alabama.
We've had chances to beat them..and usually its referee related when it comes down to us losing to UCF.

RE: UCF hit the punt returner - AlonsoWDC - 10-19-2020 09:48 PM

It was an egregious non-call.

Then on the ensuing kickoff, we scored but they took it back.

RE: UCF hit the punt returner - geosnooker2000 - 10-20-2020 10:43 AM

Ask, and ye shall receive... :

[Image: 46444344_2174337885930232_54044169755877...e=5FAF56A3]

RE: UCF hit the punt returner - Tiger87 - 10-20-2020 10:57 AM

(10-19-2020 07:13 PM)mairving Wrote:  Only explanation is that the refs thought he was blocked into our guy which would not be a penalty.

They should have provided this explanation. So we could specifically get mad at them - because he obviously wasn't blocked into the returner.

If you watch the defender he knew he screwed up. He got up from the hit with his head down and sort of hit himself, knowing there would be a flag tossed. Good officiating is that you throw the flag and then discuss it. If you can't decide, you review it.

And this magnifies another frustrating thing with officiating, other than it being poor. Lack of transparency. There should be public explanations of controversial calls, including how they plan to improve upon the blown ones.

RE: UCF hit the punt returner - geosnooker2000 - 10-20-2020 11:01 AM

I was upset about it when it happened as well..... for about 2 seconds. Then I looked at the clock. My words to my wife and dad were:

"We don't want that penalty. With the speed at which UCF was scoring, we need every yard we can get in front of us on offense. We need to leave them NOTHING on the clock when we score."

To which my wife looked at me as if I were talking jibberish, and my dad was just nodding with me in agreement.

RE: UCF hit the punt returner - bubbapt - 10-20-2020 11:12 AM

(10-20-2020 10:43 AM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  Ask, and ye shall receive... :

[Image: 46444344_2174337885930232_54044169755877...e=5FAF56A3]

Obviously, he was blocked into the returner by TOM III.

RE: UCF hit the punt returner - SeƱorTiger - 10-20-2020 02:06 PM

(10-20-2020 10:57 AM)Tiger87 Wrote:  
(10-19-2020 07:13 PM)mairving Wrote:  Only explanation is that the refs thought he was blocked into our guy which would not be a penalty.

They should have provided this explanation. So we could specifically get mad at them - because he obviously wasn't blocked into the returner.

If you watch the defender he knew he screwed up. He got up from the hit with his head down and sort of hit himself, knowing there would be a flag tossed. Good officiating is that you throw the flag and then discuss it. If you can't decide, you review it.

And this magnifies another frustrating thing with officiating, other than it being poor. Lack of transparency. There should be public explanations of controversial calls, including how they plan to improve upon the blown ones.

I rewatched last night and noticed the same thing. The UCF player sat on his knees with his head down knowing he had just cost them 15 yards on a stupid penalty in crunch time but the refs bailed him out by swallowing the whistle...