CSNbbs
Gabel to Close - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Western Michigan (/forum-469.html)
+----- Thread: Gabel to Close (/thread-907286.html)

Gabel to Close - SilentStryk09 - 09-22-2020 07:47 AM

WMU is shutting down Gabel citing revenue far outpacing operating costs and expensive repairs being needed.

WMU's Gabel Natatorium to close, athletics to take over operation of Lawson Ice Arena

RE: Gabel to Close - RunningGame - 09-22-2020 04:08 PM

How can an institution with a $400+ million budget not afford a swimming pool?

The college bubble bursting is going to be painful. Universities—like Detroit—are building out so much infrastructure that's going to end up empty that they can't sustain themselves long-term. It's going to be the basics that get cut the first to try to maintain the pointless selling points that aren't going to bring in lots of students.

Maybe if they actually marketed the pool better, it would have gotten used. I didn't know anything about it when I was on campus. But I had to walk by ugly, soul-sucking post-modern art every day...

RE: Gabel to Close - Bronco'14 - 09-22-2020 04:17 PM

Me & a buddy swam laps there periodically thru-out our time at WMU. They'd have swim-meets there too, as well as open swim.

It's sad seeing it go.

It was old.

Maybe that room can be used for the hockey team?

Also, my local high school had up for vote a bond to turn the pools into education space. The vote failed, but the pool has exceeded it's lifespan. So who knows what they're going to do, but point is, when pools are old, courses of action have to be decided.

The Rec center has a couple pools, not like for laps, but for water aerobics & other basic water activities.

The marketing for it was ok. Problem is I believe they're times were always super-early or right in the middle of the day, so they only had narrow times to work with for students. I was always surprised they didn't market it more at hockey games considering they s hare buildings. "We have a pool right next door, people! Use it!"

RE: Gabel to Close - Doo - 09-23-2020 08:10 AM

The budget being what it is now and will be for a few years we won't see much change.......but this does open the door for a bigger renovation project for Lawson in the future with less logistical concerns.

RE: Gabel to Close - BaldingBroncoFan - 09-24-2020 11:37 AM

Is there enough room to put in a basketball court..?