CSNbbs
Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong (/thread-906030.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - Monarchblue - 10-02-2020 03:26 PM

(10-02-2020 03:13 PM)bench jockey Wrote:  
(10-02-2020 03:10 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(10-02-2020 02:54 PM)monarx Wrote:  Im genuinely glad nobody got laid off. But when it comes to Selig, it was his decision to cancel. He makes a large amount of money and there are not even any sports playing. He should be donating a big part of his salary back to the U. I know it would be hard as a new coach, but Rhane probably should give back some as well. And even though their sports are playing, the basketball coaches could absorb a cut for the rest of the athletic department's well being. I know where I work people have been forced to deal with salary cuts, especially at the top. Not sure if that includes athletics though.

I agree. I am not sitting here rooting for everyone to take a paycut, but Wood makes enough that he could afford it, he was the one involved in making that decision, and I have always had a bit of an issue with the amount of money he makes. We are out here underpaying for coaches while we have an AD that is making more money than any of the coaches. *that may not be true now with Rahne's salary, but I believe it is still close.

Obvious question: How much does he make? What about Broderick? How's it stack up against others in similar positions?

If I am remembering correctly he makes over 700k/year.

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - ODUCoach - 10-02-2020 03:39 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/washington/news/2019/10/04/public-paychecks-who-earns-the-most-on-virginias.html

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - monarx - 10-02-2020 03:54 PM

(10-02-2020 03:02 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  They could also be consistent and blame it on Northam and his restrictions, it they are sticking with that excuse, and demand a bailout.

Ive actually had this thought as well. I wonder if there was a backroom deal with Northam where he agreed to cover our losses if we cancelled. I hope so. At least that would make sense.

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - monarx - 10-02-2020 03:57 PM

(10-02-2020 03:39 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  https://www.bizjournals.com/washington/news/2019/10/04/public-paychecks-who-earns-the-most-on-virginias.html

We pay Selig over $400k a year. While we're at it, how does the state pay VCUs president over a hundred grand more than ODU's president? We may need to up our salary game if we want to get a top level candidate to accept the Presidency of ODU when JBrod leaves.

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - AimHigher - 10-02-2020 07:03 PM

Campbell is playing Wake Forest tonight 07-coffee3 currently 7-14

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - blueandsilver - 10-02-2020 07:29 PM

Life in C-USA moves on without ODU, some good C-USA competition this weekend. Too bad ODU has self-benched .... but will have to pretend we are playing vicariously through other C-USA teams who decided to play.

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - NC ODUFan - 10-02-2020 07:43 PM

(10-02-2020 07:03 PM)AimHigher Wrote:  Campbell is playing Wake Forest tonight 07-coffee3 currently 7-14
24-7 Wake at the half.
In a weird twist, this is actually Campbell's last game of the fall season. The Big South is not playing this fall. The Camel's decided the TV exposure and the chance to play at an ACC school was worth their going 0-4 and being blown out in every game except their first one.

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - monarx - 10-02-2020 08:00 PM

(10-02-2020 07:43 PM)NC ODUFan Wrote:  
(10-02-2020 07:03 PM)AimHigher Wrote:  Campbell is playing Wake Forest tonight 07-coffee3 currently 7-14
24-7 Wake at the half.
In a weird twist, this is actually Campbell's last game of the fall season. The Big South is not playing this fall. The Camel's decided the TV exposure and the chance to play at an ACC school was worth their going 0-4 and being blown out in every game except their first one.

And they’re probably right. Bet they got some good cash for it too. Plus their team got great experience and extra practice that will benefit them next season. All without losing any player eligibility. Smart move by Campbell.

Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - EverRespect - 10-04-2020 06:27 AM

I did learn that Campbell’s QB is someone to keep an eye on, which would have never been noticed in a normal year with a full slate of FB. Not sure if the publicity transfers into money in the long term as they are unlikely to ever be on TV again, but I definitely think more people know who they are now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - ODUDJ96 - 10-04-2020 08:30 PM

(10-02-2020 01:49 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

Well, now we know why they didn’t follow through on the furloughs.

$5M provides options. I’m encouraged we have such a benefactor. Reminds me of a Charles Dickens book. And I’m sure our benefactor is not done with his generosity. Count our blessings for such a benefactor.

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - ODUODUODU - 10-05-2020 06:47 AM

It's nice that 1/3 of the season ticket holders donated their refund to the athletic department. I'm hoping we come out of this stronger as a football program both financially and as a team.

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - 12thmonarch - 10-05-2020 10:51 AM

(10-05-2020 06:47 AM)ODUODUODU Wrote:  It's nice that 1/3 of the season ticket holders donated their refund to the athletic department. I'm hoping we come out of this stronger as a football program both financially and as a team.

That is very encouraging and i am really glad to hear that. While i like the 5 MM donation from that benefactor, i personally like and place the fact that 1/3 of the season ticket holders donated their refund above that 5 MM donation. Great Job Monarchs.

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - djnva - 10-05-2020 11:21 AM

(10-02-2020 01:49 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  

Well, now we know why they didn’t follow through on the furloughs.

Wait--sure, spring would be a glorified scrimmage. But what about, you know, NOW? When all but 3 FBS schools are actually playing.

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - Monarchist13 - 10-13-2020 08:45 AM

Another day and another article on covid and ODUs impact on local businesses.
https://www.pilotonline.com/inside-business/vp-ib-odu-business-1012-20201012-aufhsj67evep5cqyslcqdkzov4-story.html

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - Chillie Willie - 10-13-2020 11:59 AM

(10-13-2020 08:45 AM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  Another day and another article on covid and ODUs impact on local businesses.
https://www.pilotonline.com/inside-business/vp-ib-odu-business-1012-20201012-aufhsj67evep5cqyslcqdkzov4-story.html

The Dirty Buffalo has certainly made out with me. I had never ordered takeout from them before COVID and visited a few times a year. We have ordered takeout from them several times over the past few months. It is so convenient. Ynot has received our normal business, which was usually takeout anyway. I guess I’ve been spending my ticket money on takeout.

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - FearTheLion - 10-16-2020 12:19 PM

Patriots now reporting another positive (possibly two) without a bye week to work with. Wonder how the NFL will handle their scheduling as well as others that are bound to come up with spread on the rise. Also wonder when the NFLPA will speak out on the NFL decisions. One level down, I did see that UA is doing EVERYTHING in their power to get Nick Saban back on the sidelines for that big tilt against UGA only a few days after he tested positive.

Lastly, I've enjoyed watching what we can. Ga State v A State last night was all offense/no defense, but entertaining. And Coastal v Louisiana the night before was good to me as well. Will take any of the remaining schedule that we can cuz I'm don't feel that we'll get as much football as shows up on the remaining schedule.

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - monarx - 10-16-2020 12:31 PM

(10-16-2020 12:19 PM)FearTheLion Wrote:  Patriots now reporting another positive (possibly two) without a bye week to work with. Wonder how the NFL will handle their scheduling as well as others that are bound to come up with spread on the rise. Also wonder when the NFLPA will speak out on the NFL decisions. One level down, I did see that UA is doing EVERYTHING in their power to get Nick Saban back on the sidelines for that big tilt against UGA only a few days after he tested positive.

Lastly, I've enjoyed watching what we can. Ga State v A State last night was all offense/no defense, but entertaining. And Coastal v Louisiana the night before was good to me as well. Will take any of the remaining schedule that we can cuz I'm don't feel that we'll get as much football as shows up on the remaining schedule.

No doubt the SunBelt has taken full advantage of the situation Covid presented them. Ive never heard or seen as much about the SB as this year. Good for them.

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - Gilesfan - 10-16-2020 12:34 PM

I am going to be way out of the loop next year because I've only watched about 5 downs so far. It just feels like a fake season with so many opt outs and players missing for each game. I just cant make myself care about a Wednesday night Sunbelt battle.

I know thats just me but its gonna take some time to gear up to care next year.

P.S. if Bama is really trying to get Saban to the game, they have lost all touch with reality.

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - Chillie Willie - 10-16-2020 01:05 PM

(10-16-2020 12:34 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  I am going to be way out of the loop next year because I've only watched about 5 downs so far. It just feels like a fake season with so many opt outs and players missing for each game. I just cant make myself care about a Wednesday night Sunbelt battle.

P.S. if Bama is really trying to get Saban to the game, they have lost all touch with reality.
They could set it up so Saban could coach virtually. Maybe have a robot that he controls from home. It could roll up and down the sideline and yell at players and the refs.

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - BigBlueMonarch - 10-16-2020 02:07 PM

(10-16-2020 01:05 PM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  
(10-16-2020 12:34 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  I am going to be way out of the loop next year because I've only watched about 5 downs so far. It just feels like a fake season with so many opt outs and players missing for each game. I just cant make myself care about a Wednesday night Sunbelt battle.

They could set it up so Saban could coach virtually. Maybe have a robot that he controls from home. It could roll up and down the sideline and yell at players and the refs.

The NCAA said he is not allowed to coach Virtually.