CSNbbs
Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong (/thread-906030.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - mturn017 - 09-18-2020 11:11 AM

(09-18-2020 10:44 AM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  
(09-18-2020 10:33 AM)mturn017 Wrote:  To go through all of that just to have your games cancelled. I miss ODU football but still stand by the admin's decision.

My understanding is the games are postponed, not cancelled. They could reschedule, although the chances of working that out by the end of the season are slim. I think they all still expect to play most of their games though.

Yeah and a lot of conferences are or will push back the CCG a week or two to make room for make up games. First priority would likely be to conference games. VT/UVA has been rescheduled to around then. With fall coming though I think cancellations will be more and more common. Will everyone continue to trudge on if that happens? IDK. I'm enjoying whatever CFB I can while it's here though.

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - Monarchblue - 09-18-2020 11:59 AM

(09-18-2020 10:53 AM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  
(09-18-2020 10:43 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(09-18-2020 09:45 AM)Grommet Wrote:  
(09-18-2020 09:24 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  To be honest, our fans bear some of the responsibility for the situation we are in as well. Big Ten football is happening because there was a massive outcry, and people put enough pressure on the league and the politicians that were keeping them from playing that they had to reverse course. That didn't happen here. I heard no outcry, no media criticism. Everyone, as is often the case with ODU fans, just went along with whatever crap sandwich the admin wanted to feed us.

Our position=FACTS!
Their position=crap sandwich

Our position = the position of the majority of programs
Their position = outlier, 1 of 4 schools, only school in VA, only school in The South, only school in CUSA, could end up being 1 of only 4 schools that doesn't play based on what we are seeing start to happen.

So yeah, I am the one that is out of touch.

I’m not saying your position is wrong, but to argue that your position is right because it is the majority position does not hold water. You argued against group-think with regard to COVID, don’t argue for it here.

Look, I don't believe that our admin is smarter than all of those others, and I don't believe that our circumstances were worse either. That leaves me with them making a choice that, at the very least, was out of touch.

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - Cyniclone - 09-18-2020 01:37 PM

(09-18-2020 11:59 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(09-18-2020 09:24 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  To be honest, our fans bear some of the responsibility for the situation we are in as well. Big Ten football is happening because there was a massive outcry, and people put enough pressure on the league and the politicians that were keeping them from playing that they had to reverse course. That didn't happen here. I heard no outcry, no media criticism. Everyone, as is often the case with ODU fans, just went along with whatever crap sandwich the admin wanted to feed us.

Our position=FACTS!

Their position = outlier, 1 of 4 schools, only school in VA, only school in The South, only school in CUSA, could end up being 1 of only 4 schools that doesn't play based on what we are seeing start to happen.

I’m not saying your position is wrong, but to argue that your position is right because it is the majority position does not hold water. You argued against group-think with regard to COVID, don’t argue for it here.

Look, I don't believe that our admin is smarter than all of those others, and I don't believe that our circumstances were worse either. That leaves me with them making a choice that, at the very least, was out of touch.

But let's call it like we see it, you always thought COVID was overblown or total BS, so you'd be predisposed to believing that anything we did would be an overreaction or worse.

I don't have a problem with what ODU did, knowing full well that I consider COVID a far more serious issue than you, so I'm probably predisposed to cheering on or at least politely applauding a cancellation. But I think they thought they were making a responsible decision based on what they saw in front of them and what the other schools in the region were doing. I don't give a **** in hell what La. Tech or North Texas do, and I absolutely don't give a **** in **** hell what their posters think. But if La. Tech or North Texas were the only schools in CUSA to play, I wouldn't bat an eye. Hope they have their **** together and nobody gets sick, but I'm not going to ask for some sort of punishment either, unless it's obvious they're spreading the disease and are choosing to do nothing about it.,

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - Monarchblue - 09-18-2020 01:59 PM

I am happy as a pig in **** that they thought they were making the right decision. Let's give them an award for thinking they were making the right decision. I didn't know all it took to be absolved of every questionable decision I made in my life was to have just thought that I made the right decision. I'm already feeling better about myself... think I'll go polish my participation trophy now.

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - Cyniclone - 09-18-2020 02:44 PM

(09-18-2020 01:59 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  I am happy as a pig in **** that they thought they were making the right decision. Let's give them an award for thinking they were making the right decision. I didn't know all it took to be absolved of every questionable decision I made in my life was to have just thought that I made the right decision. I'm already feeling better about myself... think I'll go polish my participation trophy now.

Not worth it. Peace be with you.

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - 12thmonarch - 09-18-2020 03:10 PM

(09-18-2020 10:46 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(09-18-2020 10:31 AM)12thmonarch Wrote:  

Okay while i agree there was little to no resistance from the fanbase as a collective group at ODU you have to put things in perspective here. BIG10 exposure + Revenue vs Our measly TV exposure + Revenue is not even on the same scale. BIG 10 board might have more to lose from not playing than us is all i am saying and you can say their fan and parent protests made the difference but that's just not true or at least not the complete truth. Game of numbers.

We aren't just talking Big Ten here. We can start with the rest of our conference. We can move from there to the other G5 conferences in our region, and then we can look at the fact that it looks like ALL G5 conferences are taking a second look at their decisions. We are 1 of 4 schools in the entire nation that made the decisions that we made.

Dude what are you talking about? You said fans and parents put pressure on politicians who then pushed some buttons to get the BIG 10 to play and you said that didn't happen with ODU. I am just saying that even if we did all that, wood will come back and say we need x MM over the budget we have allotted to make it happen and thus we will be dealing with numbers which for BIG 10 isn't an issue because they have the money and second they can justify all those testing costs with the revenue and exposure they can get. Now if you are saying how come other schools in the conference are making it work and we weren't i don't have an answer for that since that regional restriction by the governor has been beaten to death on this forum and i have no clue what is going on in the 757.

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - Grommet - 09-18-2020 06:32 PM

Our position=FACTS!

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.

And really, I don't care about the other schools or conferences. I'd rather be the 1 school out of 130 that did what they thought was right and stuck to their guns. Full stop.

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - Grommet - 09-18-2020 06:36 PM

(09-18-2020 01:37 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(09-18-2020 11:59 AM)Monarchblue Wrote:  
(09-18-2020 09:45 AM)Grommet Wrote:  Our position=FACTS!

But let's call it like we see it, you always thought COVID was overblown or total BS, so you'd be predisposed to believing that anything we did would be an overreaction or worse.

I don't have a problem with what ODU did, knowing full well that I consider COVID a far more serious issue than you, so I'm probably predisposed to cheering on or at least politely applauding a cancellation. But I think they thought they were making a responsible decision based on what they saw in front of them and what the other schools in the region were doing. I don't give a **** in hell what La. Tech or North Texas do, and I absolutely don't give a **** in **** hell what their posters think. But if La. Tech or North Texas were the only schools in CUSA to play, I wouldn't bat an eye. Hope they have their **** together and nobody gets sick, but I'm not going to ask for some sort of punishment either, unless it's obvious they're spreading the disease and are choosing to do nothing about it.,

Solid poast.

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - Grommet - 09-18-2020 06:39 PM

(09-18-2020 01:59 PM)Monarchblue Wrote:  I am happy as a pig in **** that they thought they were making the right decision. Let's give them an award for thinking they were making the right decision. I didn't know all it took to be absolved of every questionable decision I made in my life was to have just thought that I made the right decision. I'm already feeling better about myself... think I'll go polish my participation trophy now.

Is that what you call it? Need a Kleenex?

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - Chillie Willie - 09-18-2020 08:33 PM

(09-18-2020 06:32 PM)Grommet Wrote:  

Our position=FACTS!

And really, I don't care about the other schools or conferences. I'd rather be the 1 school out of 130 that did what they thought was right and stuck to their guns. Full stop.

ODU = Sweden?

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - Grommet - 09-18-2020 09:37 PM

(09-18-2020 08:33 PM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  
(09-18-2020 06:32 PM)Grommet Wrote:  

Our position=FACTS!

ODU = Sweden?

lol. New Zealand.

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - AdoptedMonarch - 09-19-2020 05:58 AM

(09-18-2020 09:37 PM)Grommet Wrote:  
(09-18-2020 08:33 PM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  ODU = Sweden?

lol. New Zealand.

So we are either the collegiate world’s version of a 70’s pop band with a drum machine (ABBA) or the world’s leading source of sheep.

Let’s at least try to show some dignity. ODU = Lithuania - - a spunky program overshadowed by the evil empires in Charlottesville and Blacksburg.

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - Grommet - 09-19-2020 11:51 AM

(09-19-2020 05:58 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  
(09-18-2020 09:37 PM)Grommet Wrote:  
(09-18-2020 08:33 PM)Chillie Willie Wrote:  ODU = Sweden?

lol. New Zealand.

So we are either the collegiate world’s version of a 70’s pop band with a drum machine (ABBA) or the world’s leading source of sheep.

Let’s at least try to show some dignity. ODU = Lithuania - - a spunky program overshadowed by the evil empires in Charlottesville and Blacksburg.

Dude I'm impressed. I was expecting something super serious and instead you hit me with that. Kudos! 04-cheers

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - ODBlue - 09-21-2020 10:42 AM

This was a bad decision. It will kill our recruiting as recruits will look at other schools in the conference that are playing ball and conclude we don't take our football seriously. If other schools can play - why can't ODU. The administration didn't study the issue enough and seems to have panicked.

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - Cyniclone - 09-21-2020 11:13 AM

Here's the thing: Even if you think the virus is as fake as the moon landing, there's no benefit to ODU switching gears at this late date.

The conditions that prompted ODU to make the decision in the first place haven't substantially changed, and if anything the chances of things being worse as flu season starts up and a second wave begins means pushing everything back is probably worse than if they ran a normal schedule without flinching (I posted somewhere that the safest thing, weather notwithstanding, would be to try to start in the summer and get everything over with by October, but the virus didn't go into remission in the hot weather like we hoped/expected).

Plus what is an ODU schedule going to look like? Too late to play CUSA ball, an independent schedule would be almost impossible at this point, and spring has multiple issues (too close to fall 2021, the increasing likelihood that there would be few FBS opponents available). Unless they could work out a deal to be included in the MAC for one season (presuming a conference-only schedule), their options are few and ugly.

And it's financially more prudent to hold off than to play a season of limited-capacity games with little literal payoff.

I think the ODU administration did what it thought was best for the institution and the people it serves, and I have more faith in their ability to read the tea leaves for themselves than I do any poster here, myself included. If COVID were credibly declared dead tomorrow and all restrictions immediately lifted, then maybe. Otherwise, I say just take the gap year, learn another language or binge-watch Schitt's Creek and set eyes toward 2021.

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - Gilesfan - 09-21-2020 11:28 AM

(09-21-2020 10:42 AM)ODBlue Wrote:  This was a bad decision. It will kill our recruiting as recruits will look at other schools in the conference that are playing ball and conclude we don't take our football seriously. If other schools can play - why can't ODU. The administration didn't study the issue enough and seems to have panicked.

There is no evidence that it has had any impact on recruiting. How many recruits have we lost since making that decision?

"If other schools can play- why can't ODU?" Has been answered a dozen times on here.

The adminstration did plenty of studying on the issue and did not take the decision lightly, nor did they panic.

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - monarx - 09-21-2020 11:37 AM

No evidence that it hasn’t impacted recruiting “yet”. Let’s hope these recruits are still on board on signing day. I think it’s a bit naive to think this blunder won’t be used against us in recruiting and to try and flip some guys. I hope I’m wrong. But it’s not just that. What will the impact be on our fan base and donations too? There was already a dwindling lackadaisical base. Now we have a year off to get involved in other things, or change our fall habits. I hope I’m wrong, but I do think this will hurt for years to come. It may even be the beginning of the end for Wood. I would imagine we just dropped behind Marshall, FAU, WKU, and UAB in line for any potential AAC opening. We’ll see. Meanwhile, it’s nice to see a CUSA team in the top 25.

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - monarx - 09-21-2020 11:51 AM

https://umassathletics.com/news/2020/9/21/massachusetts-athletics-announces-intention-to-play-football-in-fall-2020.aspx

UMass is reversing course and playing in Oct. Maybe this is good news for ODU. Unless one believes Hampton Roads is uniquely a major global hotbed for the virus and much worse than anywhere else n the country Id have to think We are considering the same move.

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - Monarchblue - 09-21-2020 11:57 AM

You made some good points. Any momentum that was gained with the hiring of a new staff, in terms fan interest has probably been negated, and that is something that ODU could not afford considering the difficulty of putting butts in seats for the new stadium's first season. We were seeing a few thousand people show up during the second half of last season. That is a ton of people who had lost interest (not) in all of those empty seats. Now you add a second season with no interest from those people, and it is going to be really hard to get them to come back, and it is going to be really hard to fill that stadium. It almost feels like ODU is in a position of having to completely rebuild its football fanbase at this point. I hope I am wrong, and we see the stadium packed a year from now, but I am afraid football is in real danger of losing what little bit or relevance it had built up to this point.

RE: Was ODU's decision, right or wrong - Monarchblue - 09-21-2020 11:59 AM

(09-21-2020 11:51 AM)monarx Wrote:  https://umassathletics.com/news/2020/9/21/massachusetts-athletics-announces-intention-to-play-football-in-fall-2020.aspx

UMass is reversing course and playing in Oct. Maybe this is good news for ODU. Unless one believes Hampton Roads is uniquely a major global hotbed for the virus and much worse than anywhere else n the country Id have to think We are considering the same move.

I will say it right now. ODU is not playing football even if they are the only program left sitting it out. Wood has put himself out there at this point (as he often prematurely does) and there is no going back.