CSNbbs
Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - DEMOTE - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Eastern Michigan (/forum-478.html)
+----- Thread: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - DEMOTE (/thread-905805.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - Ken Barna - 01-04-2022 09:16 AM

Dear holybovine,
You can love McElwain and Central all you want. That's your preogative. As far as the win over Washington State, you had a badly depleted team, with no head coach, and a third string quarterback, and your team wins by a field goal, and that is a great win? It'a a win, that's all. I don't recall McElwain's first two years as wonderful winning seasons, and you totally left out in your comments, my statement about Fleck and Western as having no bearing on what is a possibility.
As far as three years into a program, as I have already said, let's wait for next year.

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - TheWoodenNickle - 01-04-2022 09:50 AM

(01-04-2022 09:16 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear holybovine,
You can love McElwain and Central all you want. That's your preogative. As far as the win over Washington State, you had a badly depleted team, with no head coach, and a third string quarterback, and your team wins by a field goal, and that is a great win? It'a a win, that's all. I don't recall McElwain's first two years as wonderful winning seasons, and you totally left out in your comments, my statement about Fleck and Western as having no bearing on what is a possibility.
As far as three years into a program, as I have already said, let's wait for next year.
Ironically, McElwain had interviewed for the WSU job in November.

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - Luckeyone - 01-04-2022 10:47 AM

Ken,

I truly respect your posts but McElwain has accomplished more in 3 years compared to CC in 8 years. Agree?

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - emu steve - 01-04-2022 11:00 AM

(01-04-2022 10:47 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  

Ken,

I truly respect your posts but McElwain has accomplished more in 3 years compared to CC in 8 years. Agree?

Are we comparing people to the almighty or HOFers or whatever?

I'm not sure what McElwain's recent success means. CMU's FB history is much different than EMUs (we've discussed this many times). Our teams don't go out and win 9 games and then 3 and then 8 and... When is the last time we went 8 - 4 or better?

For whatever reason, EMU has never had that breakout season in either FB and MBB this century. We've had it in WBB (when EMU went to the NCAAs think it was 2012).

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - EagleSam - 01-04-2022 11:31 AM

(01-04-2022 11:00 AM)emu steve Wrote:  For whatever reason, EMU has never had that breakout season in either FB and MBB this century. We've had it in WBB (when EMU went to the NCAAs think it was 2012).

Both Creighton and Murphy had seasons that were ripe for what you describe. Murphy had 13/14 and 17/18 where we were a few points from being legit conference title contenders. Needless to say, those teams were strong but they left so much meat on the bone. Murphy had talented teams and didn’t know what on earth to do with them.

Creighton had 2018 where we were arguably the best team in the entire conference…when Glass actually played. He took way too long to finally figure out who his best option was (to his credit, he arguably learned from that this season and stuck with Bryant), and that cost us early in MAC play.

Point is, we’ve been very close in both sports, and have been held back by poor in-game coaching and decision making. I’m glad we moved on from Murphy and brought in a better coach. I fear we will have to get used to the “almosts” and “what-ifs” with Creighton unless the bottom falls out. That extension continues to be confusing.

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - Luckeyone - 01-04-2022 12:13 PM

(01-04-2022 11:00 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(01-04-2022 10:47 AM)Luckeyone Wrote:  

Ken,

Are we comparing people to the almighty or HOFers or whatever?

I'm not sure what McElwain's recent success means. CMU's FB history is much different than EMUs (we've discussed this many times). Our teams don't go out and win 9 games and then 3 and then 8 and... When is the last time we went 8 - 4 or better?

For whatever reason, EMU has never had that breakout season in either FB and MBB this century. We've had it in WBB (when EMU went to the NCAAs think it was 2012).

Agree that EMU doesn’t have CMUs football tradition that’s why we gave CC years 1,2 and 3 as a pass in order to get his system and personnel in place. If we compare McElwain years 1,2 and 3 to Creighton’s years 4,5 and 6 is fair. The bottom line I love everything CC has done to get the program respectable but what is holding back EMU from winning the MAC is not a lack of EMU tradition but Creighton’s coaching schemes. The exact same could be said about Murphy. He held the program back from winning a MACC not EMU. The bottom line is CC has reached his ceiling at 7 wins.

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - emu79 - 01-04-2022 12:18 PM

(01-03-2022 06:17 PM)cidbearit Wrote:  TE OLB Caden Vanden Berge received PWO offer. Nice size on this guy.

https://football.thedzone.com/players/caden-vanden-berge

https://www.hudl.com/profile/11431950/Caden-Vandenberge

Thanks for the update.

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - Ken Barna - 01-04-2022 12:19 PM

Dear Luckeyone,
I do not agree.

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - Luckeyone - 01-04-2022 12:23 PM

(01-04-2022 12:19 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Luckeyone,
I do not agree.

Ken,

Ok but please compare CMU to EMU on rushing yards and stopping the run. This is coaching scheme and player talent brought in by respective coaches.

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's - 01-04-2022 12:45 PM

(01-04-2022 12:23 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  
I do not agree.

Ken,

Ok but please compare CMU to EMU on rushing yards and stopping the run. This is coaching scheme and player talent brought in by respective coaches.
Ken, I realize your dislike for C Mich, but Mcelwain accomplished more in his 1st season that CC has done in eight! C Mich was 1-11 in 2018! C Mich is heading in the right direction, and E Michigan is treading water! I can't believe people are comparing CC to Solich, or Mcelwain! They're at a different stratosphere then CC! I've always wondered if Deboer was our head coach instead of CC would E Michigan have won the MAC..........CC is a great man, leader, values, but a very average coach at the MAC level! Year NINE

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - FrankAnderson - 01-04-2022 01:17 PM

(01-04-2022 11:31 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  
(01-04-2022 11:00 AM)emu steve Wrote:  For whatever reason, EMU has never had that breakout season in either FB and MBB this century. We've had it in WBB (when EMU went to the NCAAs think it was 2012).
Creighton had 2018 where we were arguably the best team in the entire conference…when Glass actually played. He took way too long to finally figure out who his best option was (to his credit, he arguably learned from that this season and stuck with Bryant), and that cost us early in MAC play.

Not really here or there in regards to your point regarding decision-making, but we were VERY close to winning the MAC West that year. If Chad Ryland hits the FG in OT against NIU we win the division and go to Ford Field. Ryland missed and we ended up losing in triple OT.

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - emu steve - 01-04-2022 01:20 PM

(01-04-2022 12:45 PM)EMUGLORYDAYSthe90s Wrote:  
(01-04-2022 12:23 PM)Luckeyone Wrote:  
I do not agree.

Ken,

Ken, I realize your dislike for C Mich, but Mcelwain accomplished more in his 1st season that CC has done in eight! C Mich was 1-11 in 2018! C Mich is heading in the right direction, and E Michigan is treading water! I can't believe people are comparing CC to Solich, or Mcelwain! They're at a different stratosphere then CC! I've always wondered if Deboer was our head coach instead of CC would E Michigan have won the MAC..........CC is a great man, leader, values, but a very average coach at the MAC level! Year NINE

"Reed leaves CMU as a grad transfer with one year remaining. CMU, by my count, has nine total players in the transfer portal, and Reed isn’t the first All-MAC Chippewa defender to enter their name in the database. Willie Reid, a former First Team All-MAC honoree and the other hard-hitting safety on the field for CMU whose last name is a homonym for “read”, is also [still] in the transfer portal."

CMU has 9 players in the portal. Not everything is rosy in Mt. P.

https://ypsilantieleven.substack.com/p/qb-preston-hutchinson-commits-to?token=eyJ1c2VyX2lkIjo2MjM2MzcyLCJwb3N0X2lkIjo0NjI1NzAxOCwiXyI6IkRmdDRVIiwiaWF0IjoxNjQxMzIwNDAxLCJleHAiOjE2NDEzMjQwMDEsImlzcyI6InB1Yi0yMDQ1NSIsInN1YiI6InBvc3QtcmVhY3Rpb24ifQ.OMX0e2cQ1vXi_TIdPB5IIpMpNwXmw2He06ugZhIh7W4

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - Ken Barna - 01-04-2022 01:27 PM

Dear EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's.
If, what you and Luckeyone are right about McElwain, why hasn't he been picked by a higher ranked school then Central? Has he had any offers? Is his buyout from Central holding him back? Is he too old? Other then him applying to Washington State, has he applied to any other schools? In answer to all of the above, I think it comes down to BAGGAGE! I could be wrong, and maybe someone will take a chance on him. Only time will tell.

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - EagleSam - 01-04-2022 02:07 PM

(01-04-2022 01:17 PM)FrankAnderson Wrote:  

Not really here or there in regards to your point regarding decision-making, but we were VERY close to winning the MAC West that year. If Chad Ryland hits the FG in OT against NIU we win the division and go to Ford Field. Ryland missed and we ended up losing in triple OT.

That game was mostly my point. I can’t change history, but I imagine if Glass starts that game then we don’t even need OT to win. Wiegers was 17/40, and it seemed way worse than that honestly. He was horrendous. Glass got the starting gig after that game, until he got hurt against Toledo. But you’re right, that was our big chance to make it to Ford Field and get a rematch against a Buffalo team that we hung tough with on the road.

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - emu79 - 01-05-2022 06:00 AM

We offer Anthony Romphf freshman CB from Purdue 6'1 190 out of the portal.

We can add Jeff Undercuffler Jr QB out of Albany U to speculative portal QBs.

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - emu steve - 01-05-2022 06:21 AM

(01-05-2022 06:00 AM)emu79 Wrote:  We offer Anthony Romphf freshman CB from Purdue 6'1 190 out of the portal.

https://twitter.com/LightOnSports/status/1471883690645016578?s=20

I know NOTHING besides his RAW statistics. I know Albany was a bad team in '21 so maybe factor that in.

His 2019 season looks really good. And do remember that Albany plays in the CAA. The CAA is a very good FCS conference. Lot of good teams including James Madison.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4366715/jeff-undercuffler

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - EdifiedVoyage6 - 01-05-2022 11:23 AM

With Turan Rush having to leave do you guys think it is plausible that Adrian Gonzalez could start at defensive end? I mean he is obviously a very good player. The kid even won the defensive player of the year on his team. By the way some call them Alabama of Mexico. I have just been wondering if he could since CC has no problem starting young guys like Jose.

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - emu steve - 01-05-2022 11:24 AM

(01-05-2022 11:23 AM)EdifiedVoyage6 Wrote:  With Turan Rush having to leave do you guys think it is plausible that Adrian Gonzalez could start at defensive end? He is obviously a very good player who even won the defensive player of the year with what some call the Alabama of Mexico. I have just been wondering if he could.

We have a parent who should know how game ready our DL players are.

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - emu79 - 01-05-2022 04:43 PM

(01-05-2022 06:21 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(01-05-2022 06:00 AM)emu79 Wrote:  We offer Anthony Romphf freshman CB from Purdue 6'1 190 out of the portal.

https://twitter.com/LightOnSports/status/1471883690645016578?s=20

I know NOTHING besides his RAW statistics. I know Albany was a bad team in '21 so maybe factor that in.

His 2019 season looks really good. And do remember that Albany plays in the CAA. The CAA is a very good FCS conference. Lot of good teams including James Madison.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4366715/jeff-undercuffler

Excellent size 6'6 225 to 230.

RE: Unofficial 2022 Football Recruiting Thread - Jerry Weaver - 01-05-2022 06:05 PM

(01-04-2022 02:07 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  
(01-04-2022 01:17 PM)FrankAnderson Wrote:  

That game was mostly my point. I can’t change history, but I imagine if Glass starts that game then we don’t even need OT to win. Wiegers was 17/40, and it seemed way worse than that honestly. He was horrendous. Glass got the starting gig after that game, until he got hurt against Toledo. But you’re right, that was our big chance to make it to Ford Field and get a rematch against a Buffalo team that we hung tough with on the road.

Woah! Glass had led us back in the prior two games vs Buffalo and San Diego State. From that point on, Coach had clearly decided he was our best quarterback and the starter. The reason why Wiegers played against NIU was the same reason he played much at all the rest of the season, Mike was UNAVAILABLE. He had a shoulder problem.

Glass started the next two weeks, lost a close one to WMU, then tore up Toledo in the first half before ending his regular season with a leg injury. The next five games were all Wiegers. Yet who started and took every snap in the bowl game? Mike Glass! Creighton knew what he had after SDSU, Mike just could not stay healthy that year.

Sam you are a great contributor and your criticisms of Creighton are reasoned and fair for the most part. Blaming him for not playing Glass that year against NIU, however, is not.