CSNbbs
A man of the people passes away - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: A man of the people passes away (/thread-904745.html)

A man of the people passes away - acolbert - 08-15-2020 09:04 PM

My lasting memory of former governor Jim Thomspon was from an NIU football game, circa late 70s. On some kind of public appearance, he was making his way up the aisle of the student section when someone offered him a flask. With practically that whole section looking on and probably knowing it was illegal, Big Jim guzzled it down anyway.
Whether are not you liked with his politics, it didn't matter at that moment. The guv proved he was willing to be just one of the gang hanging out at Huskie Stadium.
Also, that was back in an era when politicans weren't as concerned about their PR cred.

RE: A man of the people passes away - Beach Boy - 08-15-2020 09:43 PM

(08-15-2020 09:04 PM)acolbert Wrote:  My lasting memory of former governor Jim Thomspon was from an NIU football game, circa late 70s. On some kind of public appearance, he was making his way up the aisle of the student section when someone offered him a flask. With practically that whole section looking on and probably knowing it was illegal, Big Jim guzzled it down anyway.
Whether are not you liked with his politics, it didn't matter at that moment. The guv proved he was willing to be just one of the gang hanging out at Huskie Stadium.
Also, that was back in an era when politicans weren't as concerned about their PR cred.

Pretty sure it was 81 or 82, a few rows behind me. Someone asked, "Governor, is this illegal?" And he responded "Yes!" and kept walking. It got very little media attention. Times were different.

RE: A man of the people passes away - Prince Crossing - 08-16-2020 10:37 AM

Those were good days which are long gone.

A man of the people passes away - Dog Fan - 08-16-2020 11:10 AM

(08-16-2020 10:37 AM)Prince Crossing Wrote:  Those were good days which are long gone.

True. And, believe it or not, these will be the good old days in years to come. And if these are the good old days, I’m glad I won’t be around to witness those future years.

RE: A man of the people passes away - HW58 - 08-16-2020 11:26 AM

(08-16-2020 11:10 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(08-16-2020 10:37 AM)Prince Crossing Wrote:  Those were good days which are long gone.

True. And, believe it or not, these will be the good old days in years to come. And if these are the good old days, I’m glad I won’t be around to witness those future years.

Sad as your statement is, Dog Fan, you hit the nail on the head. I worry for our kids and grand kids. We are handing them a mess.

RE: A man of the people passes away - randyfensfanclub1 - 08-16-2020 09:11 PM

Big Jim used to hit all the S. Side parades on July 4th. Saw him countless times in Dolton, maybe Blue Island then you would see him at like Lansing on TV.

And that is when you could walk with a beer, get one from someone on the parade route. Maybe grab a dog or 2.

That was back when people respected someone in off, R or D.

Probably because they weren't indicted and eventually jailed.

RE: A man of the people passes away - Boca Rocket - 08-17-2020 03:12 AM

Actually did a graduate school marketing paper on
"Big Jim's" election campaign.

RE: A man of the people passes away - acolbert - 08-18-2020 08:46 AM

Allegedly, he even drank from a toilet plunger at a WIU game

https://www.pjstar.com/news/20200817/former-illinois-gov-jim-thompson-said-plunger-incident-never-happened?utm_content=GTDT_PJS&utm_term=081820

RE: A man of the people passes away - sarasotahuskie - 08-18-2020 06:21 PM

(08-18-2020 08:46 AM)acolbert Wrote:  Allegedly, he even drank from a toilet plunger at a WIU game

https://www.pjstar.com/news/20200817/former-illinois-gov-jim-thompson-said-plunger-incident-never-happened?utm_content=GTDT_PJS&utm_term=081820
Probably one of the safer drinking utensils at WIU.