CSNbbs
SEC goes 10 game, conference only - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: SEC goes 10 game, conference only (/thread-903655.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

SEC goes 10 game, conference only - orangefan - 07-30-2020 03:29 PM

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-gators/os-sp-gators-football-sec-schedule-coronavirus-20200730-6aqpsjesbbbajm3tue4ji7jxly-story.html

ACC-SEC in state rivalries all taking a year off.

Quote:The school presidents from each of the league’s 14 schools met Thursday and approved a plan set forth by SEC athletic directors Wednesday to play 10 games solely against conference members in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

The SEC will begin the season on Sept. 26, according to AL.com. SINow’s Ross Dellenger reported the SEC title game will be moved two weeks to Dec. 19.

RE: SEC goes 10 game, conference only - quo vadis - 07-30-2020 03:35 PM

Damn ... give me a cigar! I predicted that this morning.

07-coffee3

RE: SEC goes 10 game, conference only - bullet - 07-30-2020 03:42 PM

They're really going to have no basis for determining the CFP if its close.

RE: SEC goes 10 game, conference only - MAcFroggy - 07-30-2020 03:44 PM

(07-30-2020 03:42 PM)bullet Wrote:  They're really going to have no basis for determining the CFP if its close.

Yeah... if the conferences do not have any interconnected games, there is no way to determine strength of each league. Not really sure how SoS will be determined.

RE: SEC goes 10 game, conference only - Wedge - 07-30-2020 03:44 PM

Big 12 is still deciding what to do, apparently; they cancelled their "virtual media day" that had been scheduled for next Monday.

Given that the Big 12 just lost their two biggest non-conference home games (LSU at Texas, and Tennessee at Oklahoma), they don't have much incentive to build a schedule that includes non-conference games.

RE: SEC goes 10 game, conference only - quo vadis - 07-30-2020 03:45 PM

(07-30-2020 03:42 PM)bullet Wrote:  They're really going to have no basis for determining the CFP if its close.

Yes, OOC games are critical for that. It's going to be a real crapshoot.

But let's face it - what are the odds that anyone plays 10 college football games this fall anyway?

RE: SEC goes 10 game, conference only - quo vadis - 07-30-2020 03:48 PM

(07-30-2020 03:44 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Big 12 is still deciding what to do, apparently; they cancelled their "virtual media day" that had been scheduled for next Monday.

Given that the Big 12 just lost their two biggest non-conference home games (LSU at Texas, and Tennessee at Oklahoma), they don't have much incentive to build a schedule that includes non-conference games.

I suspect the Big 12 will now announce the same 10-game conference only schedule, and the ACC will likely end up doing the same.

RE: SEC goes 10 game, conference only - CoastalJuan - 07-30-2020 03:49 PM

Conference only makes a lot of sense, just from a logistics standpoint.

The expectation is that teams are going to be crapping out left and right. If two teams in the same conference have to skip the week, the conference can marry up the two unmatched teams and keep rolling.

If that happens OOC, all of a sudden ADs are making phone calls, drawing up contracts, negotiating return games, etc. Hard to put together in 1-2 weeks.

RE: SEC goes 10 game, conference only - GoldenWarrior11 - 07-30-2020 03:49 PM

Wonder what/if bowl season would look like. If leagues are determining it is not safe to have OOC games, what rationale/justification would there be for bowl games? Same thing for the CFP - because there is no possible way to determine a seeding now (especially with five power conferences).

RE: SEC goes 10 game, conference only - Gamecock - 07-30-2020 03:51 PM

Seriously, seriously mad at the leadership right now - unless this is just some sort of silly pretense to cancelling the entire season it's hard to see how this makes sense.

Personally, if we can't even play Clemson there isn't much point to even having as season.

RE: SEC goes 10 game, conference only - SkullyMaroo - 07-30-2020 03:51 PM

But you and I already know if a playoff happens this year the committee already knows who they want and their “eyeball test” will give us who they want.

RE: SEC goes 10 game, conference only - Wedge - 07-30-2020 03:54 PM

(07-30-2020 03:49 PM)CoastalJuan Wrote:  Conference only makes a lot of sense, just from a logistics standpoint.

The expectation is that teams are going to be crapping out left and right. If two teams in the same conference have to skip the week, the conference can marry up the two unmatched teams and keep rolling.

If that happens OOC, all of a sudden ADs are making phone calls, drawing up contracts, negotiating return games, etc. Hard to put together in 1-2 weeks.

That's it.

Look at what MLB has gone through this week. Their protocols should have kept the Marlins from playing on Sunday, but they played anyway, and now both the Marlins and Phillies have canceled all games for a week (at least).

If/when things like this happen in the college football season, keeping the schedule in conference allows cancellation and schedule change decisions to be made by someone the conference has agreed upon, whether it's the commissioner or the conference's athletic directors.

RE: SEC goes 10 game, conference only - Fighting Muskie - 07-30-2020 03:55 PM

That’s a jerk move to L’ville, Florida St, and Clemson.

RE: SEC goes 10 game, conference only - usffan - 07-30-2020 03:58 PM

(07-30-2020 03:48 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(07-30-2020 03:44 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Big 12 is still deciding what to do, apparently; they cancelled their "virtual media day" that had been scheduled for next Monday.

I suspect the Big 12 will now announce the same 10-game conference only schedule, and the ACC will likely end up doing the same.

Maybe 9 games. They only have 10 total teams. Doubt they'll schedule home and home within the league...

USFFan

RE: SEC goes 10 game, conference only - quo vadis - 07-30-2020 03:58 PM

(07-30-2020 03:49 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Wonder what/if bowl season would look like. If leagues are determining it is not safe to have OOC games, what rationale/justification would there be for bowl games? Same thing for the CFP - because there is no possible way to determine a seeding now (especially with five power conferences).

Well with the CFP, the main thing is selecting four teams, seeding is of far lesser import. That is always an imperfect process and surely will be this year too.

As for OOC games, I don't think safety is the issue, its logistics and control. With OOC games you have to coordinate with other conferences, and if some teams have OOC games canceled and others do not, that can impact on readiness for conference games. With conference-only the conference controls everything and can act on its own to rebalance things if some games get canceled.

RE: SEC goes 10 game, conference only - CoastalJuan - 07-30-2020 03:58 PM

(07-30-2020 03:54 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(07-30-2020 03:49 PM)CoastalJuan Wrote:  Conference only makes a lot of sense, just from a logistics standpoint.

That's it.

Look at what MLB has gone through this week. Their protocols should have kept the Marlins from playing on Sunday, but they played anyway, and now both the Marlins and Phillies have canceled all games for a week (at least).

If/when things like this happen in the college football season, keeping the schedule in conference allows cancellation and schedule change decisions to be made by someone the conference has agreed upon, whether it's the commissioner or the conference's athletic directors.

Exactly. Decisions can be made on the fly, and is gives you the best chance to play the most games.

As an ECU fan, I hate that we lost the SC game this year, but I get it. Till next time.

RE: SEC goes 10 game, conference only - bullet - 07-30-2020 03:58 PM

I don't think the Big 12 will have teams play twice. They're probably trying to work things out now for a 10th game.

RE: SEC goes 10 game, conference only - bill dazzle - 07-30-2020 03:59 PM

I suppose I could say with this SEC football season to be altered and disrupted ... that, in theory, will help Vanderbilt (as it will distract from how mediocre we might be this fall).

RE: SEC goes 10 game, conference only - quo vadis - 07-30-2020 03:59 PM

(07-30-2020 03:58 PM)usffan Wrote:  

Maybe 9 games. They only have 10 total teams. Doubt they'll schedule home and home within the league...

USFFan

That's interesting. But I bet they do schedule a 10th game because otherwise they will be at that old "data point" disadvantage vs the other conferences regarding the CFP.

RE: SEC goes 10 game, conference only - bullet - 07-30-2020 04:01 PM

I do think this is going to increase the possibility of realignment in the next 5 years.

Right now they are throwing out the book and re-working things. They will be thinking outside the box and considering alternatives.