CSNbbs
Reasons for hope - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: OVCbbs (/forum-17.html)
+---- Forum: Ohio Valley Team Talk (/forum-784.html)
+----- Forum: Little Rock (/forum-291.html)
+----- Thread: Reasons for hope (/thread-903385.html)

Reasons for hope - MICHAELSPAPPY - 07-24-2020 07:50 AM

Covid is not flu, but they are both viruses, and are both respiratory in nature. I found this in Wikipedia. Don't know how applicable it is, but I hope it is.

Another theory holds that the 1918 virus mutated extremely rapidly to a less lethal strain. This is a common occurrence with influenza viruses: there is a tendency for pathogenic viruses to become less lethal with time, as the hosts of more dangerous strains tend to die out.

Also, I found this somewhere when I wrote on this subject for my column in the local paper:

When the epidemic finally began to wane, it sometimes did so very rapidly. Over 4000 Philadelphians died during the week of October 16, 1918; but less than a month later flu had almost disappeared from the city.

Here's hoping

RE: Reasons for hope - PTJR - 07-24-2020 01:36 PM

(07-24-2020 07:50 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  Covid is not flu, but they are both viruses, and are both respiratory in nature. I found this in Wikipedia. Don't know how applicable it is, but I hope it is.

Another theory holds that the 1918 virus mutated extremely rapidly to a less lethal strain. This is a common occurrence with influenza viruses: there is a tendency for pathogenic viruses to become less lethal with time, as the hosts of more dangerous strains tend to die out.

Also, I found this somewhere when I wrote on this subject for my column in the local paper:

When the epidemic finally began to wane, it sometimes did so very rapidly. Over 4000 Philadelphians died during the week of October 16, 1918; but less than a month later flu had almost disappeared from the city.

Here's hoping

Sure hope you’re right. But so far, this virus has not acted like others.